Washington MVC

Just a heads up. Washington MVC has closed due to an employee testing positive for covid19 and will reopen on November 7th.

Wish the person a not serious condition. Although my own experience was of waiting for hours I found the workers there to be very professional, informative, and trying their best to get people processed. Hopefully, no more spread there.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Oct '20

Great.... I have to renew my license this week... Randolph is always horrible....

Metsman Metsman
Oct '20

Metsman...Randolph and Flemington are the only licensing agencies...
Newton and Washington are registration and title agencies...

Do it online metsman

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '20

Isn’t there dmv in newton? Go there

I renewed my license (upgraded to REAL ID, actually) at Washington in February of this year.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '20

That was pre covid

Bug3
Oct '20

Some online renewals; much extensions for almost all documents. So, if you can’t do it online, may be some breathing room, time-wise.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Oct '20

Metsman: Do it ONLINE.

Easier and less time for you to be "out among people" !

Bernie Bernie
Oct '20

Drew the Newton agency is registration and titles now...
Randolph and Flemington are licensing agencies...

So if you need a license and registration, you need to go to two different spots?

Hope the police don't catch on to that: "license please, and you'll have to wait for the registration car to get here......" :>)

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Oct '20

strangerdanger

I guess you missed that on the other MVC thread:

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/933624#t938932

They've been split since August, if not earlier.

Funny comment at the end though. Fortunately, they're letting more people renew their licenses online to "skip the trip". Mine expires Nov. 30, sent my paperwork and payment in last week. Fingers crossed that I'll have a new one before the old one expires.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '20

When I renewed my license online I printed out an interim license(along with a payment receipt) which was good for 30 days ,until the real license is mailed to you . When I did the the online registration renewal I just got a receipt for payment . I recollect Darrin going through the same procedure for registering his trailer online on the other thread .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Oct '20

Going to one place for licenses and another for registrations has been standard practice in PA for a long time. Never made any sense to me.

rbilly rbilly
Oct '20

They also go one place for beer and another for liquor. Another head scratcher.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '20

If you renew it online will it have a picture?

Metsman Metsman
Oct '20

Yes. They use the same one.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '20

Metsman

As 3wbdwnj stated, they use the same one as on your last license, since they are all stored digitally in the State MVC database, which is how the cop has your picture come up along with your info when he searches your license or registration if you're stopped.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '20

Oh ok I must have missed that. I'll just get it online then.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '20

Just an FYI. I got the license-renewal notice from MVC and tried to renew mine online. I entered my info and got a message that said I was not allowed to renew mine online--no further explanation as to why. Rather than wait in line, I mailed the renewal card and a check to MVC on 10/12. On 10/21, MVC deposited my check (per my bank records), but as of today, I haven't received my new license in the mail.

So, if any of you are planning to renew your license online or by mail, do it ASAP, because it might take a while.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Oct '20

I did mine today online. They give you a temporary license to print out until the new one arrives.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '20

Metsman

Glad it worked out well. Much easier than waiting out the lines.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '20

There’s only 9 reasons to go to the MVC in N.J, now that most of what you need can be done online:
https://www.nj.com/news/2020/11/theres-only-9-reasons-to-go-to-the-mvc-in-nj-now-that-most-of-what-you-need-can-be-done-online.html

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Nov '20

Anyone make a recent trip to the MVC in Washington? My license is coming due and I was wanting to upgrade to REAL ID - but I'm not up for an 8 hour trip. Any insight or recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Kurt, you can't go to Washington for licenses...it's Randolph or Flemington. See this doc: https://www.nj.gov/mvc/pdf/about/cheatsheet.pdf

Route 46
Jan '21

Kurt

Get a passport..much much less painful

Bug3
Jan '21

Does anybody know if you need to make an appointment to 'surrender' license plates?

Itiswhatitis
Jan '21

I have a passport already, I would rather get a Real ID at this point out of convenience. I had an appointment for REAL ID when Covid shut everything down and cancelled my appointment. I know you can schedule an appointment to get a REAL ID online, does this mean that you can go just prior to your appointment time and not have to wait in the long lines?

Same with the Newton office. My temp tags have expired on our RV. Not pleased about the delays....

friendlyMcface friendlyMcface
Jan '21

Hi Itiswhatitis,

I went to Washington two weeks ago and did not need an appointment to surrender some plates even though there was a sign up, generally saying appointments needed. I got there about 15 minutes after they opened and an employee told me to go in. It took me about a 15 minute wait to get it done. Don't go on a Saturday. I drove by the Saturday before and the line was half way down the mall. I decided to go during the weekday, early.

Went by fri at 10:30 am; no line. first time in months of fridays.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jan '21

Thanks Wal.yeah I'd never hit the dmv on a Saturday unless I had no other options!

Itiswhatitis
Jan '21

A shout to MVC.....

Turns out I handle registrations on a transactional level; they mail the renewal, I pay online and on we go. For 35 years, over a 150 registrations, this system has worked. Problem is I don't check and when the mail fails --- apparently I have been driving unregistered for 11 months. My insurance did not pick this up. The state did not send notice.

Apparently some police must have license plate camera software because doing nothing wrong a police car in camera proximity suddenly went lights on and ultimately, most kindly, gave me a no-papers-tickets and sent me on my way.

Went online, clicked in that I didn't have a pin, got a pin, and the system told me I needed to schedule an in-person appointment. #%#%#% --- twelve months of virtual quarantine due to high risks in family and now I can be done in by the postal service and MVC..... this will not do!!!

I called MVC and the system basically said we're busy, try online, and hung up. Undaunted, I tried a few more times and suddenly, I was in queue, expected wait time a minimum of 30 minutes. Sounds scary, right?

Then "Angula" we'll call her answered and I use this name just to indicate it was a unique name. She said, fill out form, make appointment, to which I said: oh the horror of it all. Then she offered: "you can send it to me, include the check, send it attention: angula and it will get to me. I am the only angula in the building. I will call you when it is done. Here's my extension if you need it"

Needing the car I sent it overnight, two days later -- crickets -- so I called. Tried the extension, instead the system put me in queue and the 30 minute wait time. I got a bad feeling about this.... Someone answered, said they could transfer, yelled over to Angula it was coming and dropped me. Called again, 30 minute wait time, this guy said he was a transfer expert, took my number just in case, called over to Angula and xferred me. Angula found the info, said the other department had it, and it would be done and mailed by 7-10 days. Two hours later I got a voice mail from Angula the it was done, the system was updated, and the paperwork would be forthcoming (7-10 days). Excellent personal service and she had done exactly what she said she would do and personally followed up to give me the results. An MVC miracle.

Bottom line --- sure, there were wait times but the State MVC and Angula operated as it is was a local township clerk giving me the most personal, easy, and safe experience I could imagine. I stand grateful yet flabbergasted!!!

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Mar '21

SO.... is the Washington MVC open? Are appointments required?

I paid for a vehicle registration renewal (and I have the cancelled check), but have not received the registration... so I guess I'll have to go in somewhere... does anyone know if Washington is open? It's not even listed on the NJMVC site:

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/locations/facilitystatus.htm

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jul '21

They were open last week, I go to the nail salon next door and I saw people going in and out and no lines outside. Not sure if you need an appointment. Good luck

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jul '21

Washington is open for vehicle services (title, registration, etc.) but not for licensing. It's listed as such on the lower right of the two lists in the link you posted.

it also says at the top of the page that appointments are required for all vehicle centers.

Do you have a printout of the renewal confirmation? If so, I would just keep that in my glovebox with my insurance card.

ianimal ianimal
Jul '21

You know they received payment because of cancelled check, don't sweat it. I pay online and get an immediate confirmation number which I write on the reg and leave in glovebox. More than once I've not received my new reg in the mail...won't get you on trouble

itsiswhatitis
Jul '21

Ian,

Thanks. My mistake... for some reason I was assuming a registration was "licensing", I thought "vehicle" meant inspections only. Thanks for the clarification.

I'll drive over with my cancelled check... I'll be damed if I'll PAY AGAIN for a "replacement" registration, when it wasn't ME who "lost it". Hell, I'll carry the cancelled check in the glovebox, F 'em. SO TIRED of incompetence. (I also had this same issue with renewing a NJ DEP waster disposal license this year... took 3 phone calls and 5 emails and about month to get out sorted. In the meantime, I couldn't use a service I PAID FOR.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jul '21

Anyone know if you can or cannot just walk in to surrender old plates now?

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '22

yes you can, just tell the guard thats what you want to do

eapos eapos
Oct '22

Thank you.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '22

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Washington MVC
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.