Motor Vehicle

The Governor just announced that Motor Vehicle will reopen on June 15th, but only on a pick up drop off service.
But road tests, permits and licenses will not start until June 29th.

What about inspection stations?

Calico696 Calico696
June 6th

Calico696 that hasn't been talked about. It may be the next phase.
The opening of MV comes with many changes.
No in person, just drop off and pick up and the agencies will be separated into licensing and title agencies.
Road tests, permits and licenses will open on the 29th.

This is the time to dismantle the inspection portion of NJDMV. It hasn't been a safety inspection for a long time. It's simply an emission levels check and only for vehicles newer than 1995. Essentially a useless mandate in my opinion.

Greg I am 100% with you. I know they were talking about closing down the stations and going through private garages. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing because it's one more thing that we have to pay out of our pockets.

Inspections in NJ aren't totally useless. Cars that are excessively polluting shouldn't be on the road. And without the emissions test, I believe NJ would lose some federal funding. Having said that, there's no reason to go to centralized facilities to have them plug your car into a computer...and maybe (but unlikely) if they closed the centralized garages, you wouldn't have to pay for inspection at a private garage.

Route 46
June 6th

Inspections are still necessary despite all the rollbacks in standards. Since covid19, pollution has actually improved due to less vehicles on the road. The last thing we need easing back into whatever normal is, is unsafe cars belching pollution, bad brakes, etc.

For reals For reals
June 6th

They aren’t opening inspection station until 6/29. I had an appointment for the 12th that I had to reschedule

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
June 6th

For reals "The last thing we need easing back into whatever normal is, is unsafe cars belching pollution, bad brakes, etc."

On regular passenger vehicles, which are the majority on the road, they only test for emissions in NJ. As long as they don't crash it in the Inspection Station due to the brakes failing, you'll still pass. The same goes for missing side mirrors or having your ABS light on. As long as your engine light isn't on and your system reads that it's "ready for inspecion" and you show no "pending codes", you're good to go. There's no safety about it anymore, just emissions.

Phil D. Phil D.
June 6th

My 1992 Jeep Wrangler I’m sure is an emissions hazard now that it’s back on the road. It doesn’t need to be inspected. Makes no sense. But my 2015 car does need to be inspected for emissions issues.
In Florida, car inspections do not exist

H-Town Mama H-Town Mama
June 9th

That's simple because of the cost and logistics of how they had to test the old vehicles, and how difficult it was to get them to pass anyway.

They are just letting them die off naturally. % wise there aren't that many old carb'd cars left and the ones that are left generally aren't commuters doing a lot of miles.

Josh is correct. It's pretty much a war of attrition, where they figure the majority of cars that are older aren't going to be on the road much longer and those that are, will likely be on the road for fewer miles per year or will be garage-kept collector cars, coming out only for car shows. While H-Town Mama can likely qualify for a QQ plate for her '92 Wrangler, but she'd only be able to drive it to car shows and "educational" venues to show what a vehicle of that era looks like. Thems the breaks, both for good and bad.

The safety issue was partly because more people were at issue with the stations for doing damage to their vehicle during inspection and partly because the police would be given a greater opportunity to stop you for things like having non-functioning brake lights or a headlight or turn signal out. It became the driver/owner's responsibility to make sure their vehicle was properly maintained so as to be in safe condition on the roadways.

Never mind that the drivers sometimes can't drive for poop, like the person in the Silver Forester that made a left turn from Allen to Rt. 57 around 3:30 this afternoon when cars on Newburgh already had the solid green and had been going both straight and to the right. They came close to hitting a car that had already made the right turn onto 57 and were nearly hit by the one behind that one, who was also making a right. That's also where a buddy of mine got hit walking to work one AM when he had the "walk" light. Someone not looking just blindly took the turn and hit him. Good thing they weren't going too fast at the time!

I remember the old days (80's) at the Wayne Inspection Station when they had the marker signs, "1 hour wait", "2 hours wait", "3 hours wait", etc. you took a book and or a newspaper and settled in for a day of wait and crawl. I was happy when I later could get in and out within an hour or less, even though they were testing safety too. They just checked to make sure your Cats were there and used the OBDII port to check for codes and for "readiness for inspection" to make sure you hadn't just cleared all your codes by disconnecting the battery.

You could still fail on safety items or body rust damage with sharp edges, but now, none of that will get you a fail except failure through OBDII reading. I don't think they even checked my Gas Cap for proper pressure & venting last year. I was in and out in about 5 minutes. A new record for me.

Phil D. Phil D.
June 9th

I thought it was just that the statistics proved that safety inspections didn’t lead to safer driving and that accident/casualty:death was about the same with or without safety inspections.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
June 9th

Strangerdanger

Well, they weren't inspecting the drivers, that's for sure, so it wouldn't "lead" to safer driving. You wouldn't believe the horrors I've seen working in the auto repair industry, much less some of the wobbling cars, etc. I've noticed on the road. Many of the bus accidents seem to be related to brake and/or steering failures.

Personally, I believe the hiring of unqualified bus drivers or overworking them is a sign of penny-pinching at all levels, including maintenance. There are many times when driver error is blamed, but there also is likely underlying physical issues with the vehicle that aren't investigated that may have contributed either to the accident or inability to recover from driver error.

Phil D. Phil D.
June 9th

Good points Phil. The statistics say though, that with or without inspections, and those are for safety features, that with or without those safety inspections, the rates remain comparable in a consistent manner. So while I am sure what you note is valid, it just doesn’t sway the stats for states with versus states without sagety inspections.

Think that’s why we stopped. It didn’t have the effect of making things better.

June 9th

Whether needed or not my car is due for inspection. Are they performing inspections now? Website does not really say if they are or they are not. Thank you in advance.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
June 10th

Here's the reservation calendar for Washington; they start up again 6/29. Can't imagine you have any legal jeopardy here if you expire, or if you drive expired even after 6/29. As of this morning, the 29th and 30th were still half available.

https://www.njmvis.com/appointments/?station_num=6&station_name=Washington

strangerdanger strangerdanger
June 10th

Phil- You do know that school vehicles have mandatory inspections twice a year.

auntiel auntiel
June 10th

I am due for a vehicle inspection later this summer and was thinking of going to a private facility for the inspection. I am sure there will be delays at the vehicle state inspection stations once they reopen.

Do you know of any private vehicle inspections places in Hackettstown who do the inspection and how much it costs? Thanks.

reisident08
June 10th

Why would there be delays? It’s reservations.... I don’t think they will overbook in that I doubt they get paid based on volume.

June 10th

auntiel

Yes, I'm aware that "School" buses have to meet a higher standard, especially since they're not "regular" passenger vehicles.

Personally, I think that all states should adopt the type of front barrier that NJ adopted after the loss of too many children that the driver didn't see and then subsequently ran over them. I've seen video from other states that don't have them and children were either mowed down or nearly so because they were out of the field of view of the driver when they started forward. Of course, I also believe in recording cameras for both sides of the buses to catch people speeding by stopped buses as well. As you know, without clear video evidence (or a cop following), it's rare to have a successful prosecution for someone doing that. I've personally witnessed someone flying down the shoulder, narrowly missing kids that had just come off the bus.

By the way, I normally go to the Ledgewood Inspection Station. If you have free time, you just show up, during the hours they're open. Of course it will likely be crowded when they first open due to being closed for so long, but that's where I've had great results.

Phil D. Phil D.
June 10th

I get a reservation at Washington, it’s easy, wait less than 10 minutes usually, like one or two cars. If someone just drives in, they must wait for a slot to open.

June 10th

Phil- I agree with you on all your points concerning school buses. Driving one for 20 years. I've seen it all and witnessed it all. The stories I could tell would scare the heck out of you. Don't mean to be facetious but the inspection station is located in Randolph and not Ledgewood. I know, a stone throw away. :)

auntiel auntiel
June 10th

auntiel

Thanks for the correction, had a brain fart, due to old-timers I guess, and called it by the old MVC location which I disliked with a passion. I go to Randolph for inspection, but Washington for any paperwork. I don't like having to make an appointment, but prefer to visit "on the fly" when the opportunity presents itself. That way I don't have to schedule my day around it.

I've seen all kinds of things too, and know there's good reasoning behind stopping traffic for a school bus, as well as giving way to First Responders. Apparently a lot of people don't like having to "waste their time" stopping. You always wish there was a cop right behind the bus to catch those numbskulls. Only on dashcam though sometimes. I stopped to let kids cross the street before and had a car go off onto the shoulder just to speed by me. Thank goodness they hadn't gotten to my side of the street yet.

People apparently don't realize (or care) that if a car stops to let pedestrians cross that traffic BOTH ways is supposed to stop to allow them to cross. Scary!

Phil D. Phil D.
June 10th

Re: Motor Vehicle

MVC in Washington this morning.

Calico696 Calico696
July 7th

Anybody know if the inspection centers are open?

Oh gooooogle!

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/inspection/aboutinsp.htm

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
July 7th

Were The Stones playing there?

ianimal ianimal
July 7th

3wb - I got kicked out of a community page a few weeks ago for pointing out to someone "Google is your friend". LMAO

Calico696 Calico696
July 7th

I can only guess which one, Calico.
Insert eye roll here.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
July 7th

It looks like people are tailgating at the DMV! LOL. I need to title a new Harley I got in April. Maybe I'll bring my grill and some brats and make a day of it.

LOL, Greg. That's pretty much how I see it.

Calico696 Calico696
July 7th

When I went by around 3:20 PM the line was still wrapped around the Building all the way to the back! It didn't look like they were Social distancing either!

Mr 4paws Mr 4paws
July 7th

We know how crazy things get at DMV in normal times. So we shouldn't be surprised that they are overwhelmed now. But what I don't get is if you drive over there and see the lines & confusion & chaos, why would you stick around & get in line. Come back another day, hopefully after things calm down a bit. As the old saying goes "Slow & steady wins the race". The DMV workers will eventually get a handle on things. The new procedures are new to them too. Once everyone gets the hang of it, hopefully it will settle in. It's like when Shoprite had lines outside. They're gone now & people are accustomed to the "rules" for shopping safely.
But it is upsetting to see all those people hanging around, not distancing, not sure how many mask-wearers. I thought the idea was to check in, leave a cell phone contact number, & then leave until you got a text or phone call.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
July 8th

Everything should be allowed to be done electronically through their website. The only thing needed in person should be driver licenses.

Mikey
July 8th

I agree, really should have figured out how to do more on-line.

Thanks Calico for visually warning us that if we can wait --- probably should.

July 8th

Drivers licenses can be renewed on line. I got my “skip the trip” package a few weeks ago. Went on line, filled out everything and in three days it came, sooo easy. I was hesitant at first saying maybe I should go there, so glad I didn’t. I do think there was a convenience fee which was bull shit, which they always collect.

Lwinters Lwinters
July 8th

From what I heard, the majority of those lining up are teens trying to get their first license.

Calico696 Calico696
July 8th

Calico, that doesn't explain the long waits at the offices that are just doing vehicles (like Washington).

And while I'm sure it's chaotic, don't forget they're not allowing many people inside at a time, so a lot of people that would be seated inside (easily 60 chairs in Washington) or waiting on the initial line to get "checked in" are all outside.

Route 46
July 8th

They should have thought about it and perhaps posted some info re: wait-times.

Hard to find the office on-line, but here's a website that gives access: https://dmvappointments.org/nj-new-jersey/mvc-washington-inspection-click-new-jersey-07882

And I correct myself --- they have a site and they have a warning: wait a week if you can….which probably translates to: wait a few weeks if you're able.... :>)

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/

July 8th

I drove by Washington today. Wanted to register a used car and just kept going because of all the people. Anyone tried to register a car? How does it work? I looked for the forms online but was not successful

neimad neimad
July 8th

The Washington NJ Motor Vehicle inspection station is open.Expect a wait there because they are handling a huge backup of inspections. Even if you have an appointment expect to wait in line.As far as DMV paperwork from Trenton such as license and registration renewals try to do it over the internet. Anything mailed into the Trenton DMV facility for renewal during this virus time is stalled and not completed. Still waiting for a registration renewal sent in months ago.

My husband had an appointment at Washington last week for inspection. There was no wait at all.

Calico696 Calico696
July 8th

I did my wife's registration by mail in April, from cutting the check to receiving the new registration took about 2 weeks...quite fine when you consider at least 4 of those days involved the US Mail.

I too got my car inspected last Thursday in Washington (with an appt.) and had no issue. I waited on a line 3 deep (which is close to what I've experienced in the past). Whole process took no more than 10 - 15 minutes (including a guy in front of me that they took out of line and made us back up because he didn't have an appt).

Route 46
July 8th

Calico --- thanks, supposed to go next month, but figure I've waited nine months or more before so.....might hang out a bit on this one. What was the process --- out of car, walk to little cramped booth still? Big, old fans moved those droplets around? At the end, man sticks arm in car, huffs n puffs as he scrapes old sticker, puts on new? Masked I take it.....but is there anything notably different in the process? Thanks, no wait time makes sense given unless they accept too many appointments OR don't have a full staff, can't take too much longer per car to be C19 ready.....

Wait times --- on the web

Registration --- new, think must be in person, renewals, on-line or mail.

When you hit the mvc page noted above, a screen splash has a highlighted link to online services pages. EZPZ.

July 9th

When I went in February, which was before all this COVID stuff, the little waiting booth was gone. No heat, no bench to sit down, nothing. Don't know why they removed it though.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
July 9th

Inspections used to be very comprehensive and took time therefore seating, etc. Now only things that are checked are the vehicle’s emissions and gas cap to make sure fuel isn’t leaking. In and out quickly.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
July 9th

They do also check that your paperwork is up to date and you have all items. When I went last year it didn't even look like they checked the gas cap, but then I may have just missed that. My total trip was between 5-10 minutes from when I got my check in ticket at the Randolph entry gate. No time to sit down, lol.

Phil D. Phil D.
July 9th

SD - Sorry. I have no answers on any of your questions because the only thing I asked him, when he got home, was if there was a long wait.

Calico696 Calico696
July 9th

Thanks for responding.

9am Friday 7/10. Line out to Rt 57 and down a block.

Tight social distancing as if an 12 inch encroachment will save time.

They need a better way, this is unacceptable.

July 10th

Gov Murphy has once a gain extended deadlines for motor vehicle transactions including inspections. Check it out and it may alleviate concerns and crowds.

sportsfan sportsfan
July 10th

Anything new at Washington MVC or is it still jammed?

does anyone know of a contact number for the the MV on Rt 57..??? After waiting 5 hours in line... they told me to have my bank fax them a release for my car loan and they would call me so i could come in and pick up a replacement Title....bank said they faxed it Thursday... I have a buyer for my car and i am afraid i am going to loose him....this is so frustrating! I even faxed them myself and nothing!

Link is above w contacts.

July 13th

that is a Trenton phone number - called.. can not speak to anyone....

Eapos, it is very crowded first thing in the morning, like 100+ people waiting in a line that snakes around the grassy area. When I drive by around noon, it might be 10-20 in line on the sidewalk.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
July 16th

That's correct. I went at 8:30 AM and was finished by about 12:30 PM. When I left there were maybe 15 people or so waiting to get their number for service.

Thanks 3wb and greg, maybe I'll wait another couple of weeks

Regarding inspection these days, has the process stayed the same? Are you still require to step out of your vehicle or do you remain in your vehicle for the entire inspection process now? Just curious as to what to expect.

Jillian - at Washington, it was pretty much the same. You do get out of your car, though you don't wait where you used to (roughly in the middle of the building instead of the far end). I did notice that employees wore gloves & masks, and wiped down the steering wheel, gear shift, and door handles before they gave the car back to you.

Route 46
4 weeks ago

has anyone been to or by MV on rt 57 lately? need to go AGAIN and can't stand in this heat for any length of time....
thanks for any updates~~

I had an appointment for 10:00 last Saturday 7/18 At the Washington inspection station. I arrived at 10 on the dot and was was the second car in line. The whole thing took less than five minutes and I was out of standing outside my car for maybe three of those minutes. They wore masks and gloves, wiped down the car after they got out and were very polite.

Ty res for the description.

3 weeks ago

Has anyone been to the dmv in Washington recently? Is it still an all day event with a 5 hour wait? What was your experience and how long were you there?

We were at Washington today. Got there at 7 am. Line was around the back of the building. They started giving out #'s and forms at 8 am. Once they opened the office at 8 the line moved pretty fast considering. We were done by 9:15. They only gave out 175 #'s. We were about in the middle of the #'s

My wife has a weak bladder and needs to go the dmv in person for a photo I believe. I don’t know how she’s gonna cope with the waiting times.

Its a shame the DMV cannot make appointments for licenses and other paperwork like other states...just shows how backwards NJ really is

Any reports from the newton dmv?

Masks Fortheugly Masks Fortheugly
2 weeks ago

In this regard of backwardness, I agree Bug. I can see for the new secure ID, but seems like there is much paperwork that could be done online to relieve this strain.

2 weeks ago

Just have everyone make an appointment...no lines

I required an additional document two weeks ago when I went for an initial registration. It was a 3-1/2 hour process. The young lady was very nice however and gave me a post-it note stating I could go to the front of the line when I return even if it takes a few weeks to obtain the document. Do you think my death will be counted as a Covid casualty?

2 hours at Newton, bought a used motorcycle in Newton.
Arrived at the Newton MVC @10:30am was done @12:30pm
very easy.

Although two hours is much better than some of the other horror stories, it's still way too long. IMO

If you went to the bank to make a transaction and it took two hours you would be pissed. People need to contact their representatives and complain. The MVC has needed a complete overhaul for years. With the amount of taxes NJ residents pay, this is completely unacceptable.

Calico696 Calico696
2 weeks ago

Before c19 the only mvc issue i ever had was compliance with the verifications. Passport ran out so started bringing more than enough and all was well. Appts for inspection, no issue, really fast. License, paperwork, etc. no worse than checkout at Walmart.

Actually thought it a shining example of privatization.

Guess I just got lucky

But current wait of 2 hours sucks IMO and they should do something. It seems to be stabilizing at that terrible turnaround time. Nit getting better. .

2 weeks ago

SD - I have always had fairly quick service at the Washington location. Other locations throughout the state have always been a nightmare. I remember personally from before I lived in Warren County, and I've been here almost 25 years, the waits were insane even back then. Still are as I have heard over the years from friends and family who live in other locations in NJ. The point is this has been a long standing problem. We pay, pay, pay and get less, less, less....

Calico696 Calico696
2 weeks ago

Just read in the news of it taking 7 hours for someone to get their drivers permit! Not at Washington dmv tho.

My son just completed his 6 hours behind the wheel. However, the driving school requested the permit. So now we are waiting for it to be processed. I think it is being handled at Randolph. I agree with Calico, my experience with Washington DMV has always been pleasant.

Calico; they weren’t privatized in NJ when you were outside of Warren County over 25 years ago. Back then, the state run Warren County ones were a disaster too.

I’m not a fan of privatization, but in the case of Warren County mvc sites, seems to work, certainly better than state run.

But in any case, the current situation is awful and needlessly dangerous to public health. Hope they improve soon.

2 weeks ago

No one-size-fits-all model for privatization. In some cases it is needed, in some it is not.

It takes some critical thinking and assessment of each situation.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
2 weeks ago

The answer to all things: it depends. :-)

2 weeks ago

I arrived at newton mvc at 10:15. A nice lady at the end of the line told me to go get a number. When I received the number the dmv gal told me to come back in 2 hours. Sweet. I had forgotten my insurance card anyway. Went back home. Got some work done. Had a bagel and went back to newton. When I arrived I was only 18 spots from my number being called. Waited 30 mins inside. Felt like I won a prize.

Meanwhile there is still a mass of people outside waiting in the sun. Not sure why as they have the ticket number system. It seems to lessen the need to stand there like a statue all day

Masks Fortheugly Masks Fortheugly
1 week ago

Has anyone been to the Randolph DMV recently? Son passed is drivers test and needs to get his license. Friends of ours camped out several weeks ago, I'm hoping its a little better.

We have been here since 10:30 and it is now3:15. Still waiting. We are number 249 they say they take 260!!!. I would say if he comes here get here before 9. Still may have to waotbut should get in

Dadof3
4 days ago

We went to Randolph DMV about 3 weeks ago. My son passed his test on 7/2 in one of those temporary sites in Edison. Deliberately waited a couple of weeks before going to DMV in Randolph on 7/17. Got there at 7:45. Hundreds of people ahead of us (no exaggerstion). Got number and had a couple of hours free. Went for food. By the time its was all done, it was 1pm so a full 5 hrs.

A friend's son in same situation and they went to Flemington DMV 3 days ago and a full 2.5 hrs from beginning to end.

Good luck!

mylittleboo
4 days ago

Washington DMV! Went there, no wait!

Petuina Petuina
4 days ago

Anyone have recent experience at the inspection station on Canfield Rd in Randolph? Just wondering how the wait time was to get vehicle inspected. Thanks.

Went to Newton- no wait.

Greg A
4 days ago

Always loved how fast the Washington DMV was previously but sadly, this is now a "vehicle center only" so cannot get licenses there.

For that we now have to go to DMVs that are designated as "licensing center" such as Randolph and Flemington.

mylittleboo
4 days ago

Hi I have to get two cars inspected- no hassle?
And which inspection do you recco?
Can someone help me

I have always found Newton to be faster than Washington . Last year it took less than 5 minutes to renew a registration and maybe 10 minutes at the Newton inspection station afterwards . I usually renew by mail , but during an inspection year bang em both out in one day and cash in any scrap metal at Georges in the same trip .

https://www.geosalvage.com/

AJMS - Make an appt. at the Washington location.

https://www.njmvis.com/appointments/

Calico696 Calico696
4 days ago

I think it's great that everyone is suggesting to go to this dmv or that dmv but do you realize that at this time not ALL. Dmv's are handling all transactions!!!! People are asking about a particular location because that is the one that need!!. Good luck for wherever you go!!

Dadof3
4 days ago

Definitely go to Washington for inspections. The scheduling is awesome!

Route 46
4 days ago

20 forms have been added online:
https://www.nj.com/news/2020/08/the-mvc-put-20-forms-online-to-cut-down-on-lines-and-wait-times.html

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
4 days ago

Why did that take so long?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
4 days ago

Everyone, please keep your info coming so we can all keep abreast of this.

Mervin
2 days ago

Wife went to Randolph on Wednesday at 6:30, ended up with ticket #140 and was done by 1pm. I do not think they would have gotten a ticket if they arrived at 8am.

Drove by 7:45 AM to try to title a vehicle. Still looked like a lawn concert
(est. 75+people waiting?). I kept driving. Maybe I'll try again in another month when I have a day to kill.

Went to Washington DMV yesterday around 9:15. 5 min to get inside (3 people ahead of me) once in the building an employee was in charge "stand here, go to this window, sit in this chair, go to this window for processing. No clerk was never not helping someone, no one standing around not knowing what to do. The best orchestrated scene I have ever seen, especially for a government agency. Out of there in record time.Well done DMV!

Well then maybe I try again after the opening door rush and see what it looks like. Eapos experience sounds more encouraging :)

What dmv can I go to to get my written test done ??

Lightningmcqueen Lightningmcqueen
8 hours ago

The answer was given above - Randolph and Flemington were both mentioned, the full list is right on the DMV main page. You can see them all here:

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/locations/facilitylocations.htm

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Motor Vehicle
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.