Motor Vehicle

The Governor just announced that Motor Vehicle will reopen on June 15th, but only on a pick up drop off service.
But road tests, permits and licenses will not start until June 29th.

What about inspection stations?

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '20

Calico696 that hasn't been talked about. It may be the next phase.
The opening of MV comes with many changes.
No in person, just drop off and pick up and the agencies will be separated into licensing and title agencies.
Road tests, permits and licenses will open on the 29th.

This is the time to dismantle the inspection portion of NJDMV. It hasn't been a safety inspection for a long time. It's simply an emission levels check and only for vehicles newer than 1995. Essentially a useless mandate in my opinion.

Greg I am 100% with you. I know they were talking about closing down the stations and going through private garages. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing because it's one more thing that we have to pay out of our pockets.

Inspections in NJ aren't totally useless. Cars that are excessively polluting shouldn't be on the road. And without the emissions test, I believe NJ would lose some federal funding. Having said that, there's no reason to go to centralized facilities to have them plug your car into a computer...and maybe (but unlikely) if they closed the centralized garages, you wouldn't have to pay for inspection at a private garage.

Route 46
Jun '20

Inspections are still necessary despite all the rollbacks in standards. Since covid19, pollution has actually improved due to less vehicles on the road. The last thing we need easing back into whatever normal is, is unsafe cars belching pollution, bad brakes, etc.

For reals For reals
Jun '20

They aren’t opening inspection station until 6/29. I had an appointment for the 12th that I had to reschedule

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Jun '20

For reals "The last thing we need easing back into whatever normal is, is unsafe cars belching pollution, bad brakes, etc."

On regular passenger vehicles, which are the majority on the road, they only test for emissions in NJ. As long as they don't crash it in the Inspection Station due to the brakes failing, you'll still pass. The same goes for missing side mirrors or having your ABS light on. As long as your engine light isn't on and your system reads that it's "ready for inspecion" and you show no "pending codes", you're good to go. There's no safety about it anymore, just emissions.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '20

My 1992 Jeep Wrangler I’m sure is an emissions hazard now that it’s back on the road. It doesn’t need to be inspected. Makes no sense. But my 2015 car does need to be inspected for emissions issues.
In Florida, car inspections do not exist

H-Town Mama H-Town Mama
Jun '20

That's simple because of the cost and logistics of how they had to test the old vehicles, and how difficult it was to get them to pass anyway.

They are just letting them die off naturally. % wise there aren't that many old carb'd cars left and the ones that are left generally aren't commuters doing a lot of miles.

Josh is correct. It's pretty much a war of attrition, where they figure the majority of cars that are older aren't going to be on the road much longer and those that are, will likely be on the road for fewer miles per year or will be garage-kept collector cars, coming out only for car shows. While H-Town Mama can likely qualify for a QQ plate for her '92 Wrangler, but she'd only be able to drive it to car shows and "educational" venues to show what a vehicle of that era looks like. Thems the breaks, both for good and bad.

The safety issue was partly because more people were at issue with the stations for doing damage to their vehicle during inspection and partly because the police would be given a greater opportunity to stop you for things like having non-functioning brake lights or a headlight or turn signal out. It became the driver/owner's responsibility to make sure their vehicle was properly maintained so as to be in safe condition on the roadways.

Never mind that the drivers sometimes can't drive for poop, like the person in the Silver Forester that made a left turn from Allen to Rt. 57 around 3:30 this afternoon when cars on Newburgh already had the solid green and had been going both straight and to the right. They came close to hitting a car that had already made the right turn onto 57 and were nearly hit by the one behind that one, who was also making a right. That's also where a buddy of mine got hit walking to work one AM when he had the "walk" light. Someone not looking just blindly took the turn and hit him. Good thing they weren't going too fast at the time!

I remember the old days (80's) at the Wayne Inspection Station when they had the marker signs, "1 hour wait", "2 hours wait", "3 hours wait", etc. you took a book and or a newspaper and settled in for a day of wait and crawl. I was happy when I later could get in and out within an hour or less, even though they were testing safety too. They just checked to make sure your Cats were there and used the OBDII port to check for codes and for "readiness for inspection" to make sure you hadn't just cleared all your codes by disconnecting the battery.

You could still fail on safety items or body rust damage with sharp edges, but now, none of that will get you a fail except failure through OBDII reading. I don't think they even checked my Gas Cap for proper pressure & venting last year. I was in and out in about 5 minutes. A new record for me.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '20

I thought it was just that the statistics proved that safety inspections didn’t lead to safer driving and that accident/casualty:death was about the same with or without safety inspections.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jun '20

Strangerdanger

Well, they weren't inspecting the drivers, that's for sure, so it wouldn't "lead" to safer driving. You wouldn't believe the horrors I've seen working in the auto repair industry, much less some of the wobbling cars, etc. I've noticed on the road. Many of the bus accidents seem to be related to brake and/or steering failures.

Personally, I believe the hiring of unqualified bus drivers or overworking them is a sign of penny-pinching at all levels, including maintenance. There are many times when driver error is blamed, but there also is likely underlying physical issues with the vehicle that aren't investigated that may have contributed either to the accident or inability to recover from driver error.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '20

Good points Phil. The statistics say though, that with or without inspections, and those are for safety features, that with or without those safety inspections, the rates remain comparable in a consistent manner. So while I am sure what you note is valid, it just doesn’t sway the stats for states with versus states without sagety inspections.

Think that’s why we stopped. It didn’t have the effect of making things better.

Jun '20

Whether needed or not my car is due for inspection. Are they performing inspections now? Website does not really say if they are or they are not. Thank you in advance.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Jun '20

Here's the reservation calendar for Washington; they start up again 6/29. Can't imagine you have any legal jeopardy here if you expire, or if you drive expired even after 6/29. As of this morning, the 29th and 30th were still half available.

https://www.njmvis.com/appointments/?station_num=6&station_name=Washington

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jun '20

Phil- You do know that school vehicles have mandatory inspections twice a year.

auntiel auntiel
Jun '20

I am due for a vehicle inspection later this summer and was thinking of going to a private facility for the inspection. I am sure there will be delays at the vehicle state inspection stations once they reopen.

Do you know of any private vehicle inspections places in Hackettstown who do the inspection and how much it costs? Thanks.

reisident08
Jun '20

Why would there be delays? It’s reservations.... I don’t think they will overbook in that I doubt they get paid based on volume.

Jun '20

auntiel

Yes, I'm aware that "School" buses have to meet a higher standard, especially since they're not "regular" passenger vehicles.

Personally, I think that all states should adopt the type of front barrier that NJ adopted after the loss of too many children that the driver didn't see and then subsequently ran over them. I've seen video from other states that don't have them and children were either mowed down or nearly so because they were out of the field of view of the driver when they started forward. Of course, I also believe in recording cameras for both sides of the buses to catch people speeding by stopped buses as well. As you know, without clear video evidence (or a cop following), it's rare to have a successful prosecution for someone doing that. I've personally witnessed someone flying down the shoulder, narrowly missing kids that had just come off the bus.

By the way, I normally go to the Ledgewood Inspection Station. If you have free time, you just show up, during the hours they're open. Of course it will likely be crowded when they first open due to being closed for so long, but that's where I've had great results.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '20

I get a reservation at Washington, it’s easy, wait less than 10 minutes usually, like one or two cars. If someone just drives in, they must wait for a slot to open.

Jun '20

Phil- I agree with you on all your points concerning school buses. Driving one for 20 years. I've seen it all and witnessed it all. The stories I could tell would scare the heck out of you. Don't mean to be facetious but the inspection station is located in Randolph and not Ledgewood. I know, a stone throw away. :)

auntiel auntiel
Jun '20

auntiel

Thanks for the correction, had a brain fart, due to old-timers I guess, and called it by the old MVC location which I disliked with a passion. I go to Randolph for inspection, but Washington for any paperwork. I don't like having to make an appointment, but prefer to visit "on the fly" when the opportunity presents itself. That way I don't have to schedule my day around it.

I've seen all kinds of things too, and know there's good reasoning behind stopping traffic for a school bus, as well as giving way to First Responders. Apparently a lot of people don't like having to "waste their time" stopping. You always wish there was a cop right behind the bus to catch those numbskulls. Only on dashcam though sometimes. I stopped to let kids cross the street before and had a car go off onto the shoulder just to speed by me. Thank goodness they hadn't gotten to my side of the street yet.

People apparently don't realize (or care) that if a car stops to let pedestrians cross that traffic BOTH ways is supposed to stop to allow them to cross. Scary!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '20

Re: Motor Vehicle

MVC in Washington this morning.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '20

Anybody know if the inspection centers are open?

Bug3
Jul '20

Oh gooooogle!

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/inspection/aboutinsp.htm

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '20

Were The Stones playing there?

ianimal ianimal
Jul '20

3wb - I got kicked out of a community page a few weeks ago for pointing out to someone "Google is your friend". LMAO

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '20

I can only guess which one, Calico.
Insert eye roll here.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '20

It looks like people are tailgating at the DMV! LOL. I need to title a new Harley I got in April. Maybe I'll bring my grill and some brats and make a day of it.

LOL, Greg. That's pretty much how I see it.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '20

When I went by around 3:20 PM the line was still wrapped around the Building all the way to the back! It didn't look like they were Social distancing either!

Mr 4paws Mr 4paws
Jul '20

We know how crazy things get at DMV in normal times. So we shouldn't be surprised that they are overwhelmed now. But what I don't get is if you drive over there and see the lines & confusion & chaos, why would you stick around & get in line. Come back another day, hopefully after things calm down a bit. As the old saying goes "Slow & steady wins the race". The DMV workers will eventually get a handle on things. The new procedures are new to them too. Once everyone gets the hang of it, hopefully it will settle in. It's like when Shoprite had lines outside. They're gone now & people are accustomed to the "rules" for shopping safely.
But it is upsetting to see all those people hanging around, not distancing, not sure how many mask-wearers. I thought the idea was to check in, leave a cell phone contact number, & then leave until you got a text or phone call.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Jul '20

Everything should be allowed to be done electronically through their website. The only thing needed in person should be driver licenses.

Mikey
Jul '20

I agree, really should have figured out how to do more on-line.

Thanks Calico for visually warning us that if we can wait --- probably should.

Jul '20

From what I heard, the majority of those lining up are teens trying to get their first license.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '20

Calico, that doesn't explain the long waits at the offices that are just doing vehicles (like Washington).

And while I'm sure it's chaotic, don't forget they're not allowing many people inside at a time, so a lot of people that would be seated inside (easily 60 chairs in Washington) or waiting on the initial line to get "checked in" are all outside.

Route 46
Jul '20

They should have thought about it and perhaps posted some info re: wait-times.

Hard to find the office on-line, but here's a website that gives access: https://dmvappointments.org/nj-new-jersey/mvc-washington-inspection-click-new-jersey-07882

And I correct myself --- they have a site and they have a warning: wait a week if you can….which probably translates to: wait a few weeks if you're able.... :>)

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/

Jul '20

I drove by Washington today. Wanted to register a used car and just kept going because of all the people. Anyone tried to register a car? How does it work? I looked for the forms online but was not successful

neimad neimad
Jul '20

The Washington NJ Motor Vehicle inspection station is open.Expect a wait there because they are handling a huge backup of inspections. Even if you have an appointment expect to wait in line.As far as DMV paperwork from Trenton such as license and registration renewals try to do it over the internet. Anything mailed into the Trenton DMV facility for renewal during this virus time is stalled and not completed. Still waiting for a registration renewal sent in months ago.

Zipp
Jul '20

My husband had an appointment at Washington last week for inspection. There was no wait at all.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '20

I did my wife's registration by mail in April, from cutting the check to receiving the new registration took about 2 weeks...quite fine when you consider at least 4 of those days involved the US Mail.

I too got my car inspected last Thursday in Washington (with an appt.) and had no issue. I waited on a line 3 deep (which is close to what I've experienced in the past). Whole process took no more than 10 - 15 minutes (including a guy in front of me that they took out of line and made us back up because he didn't have an appt).

Route 46
Jul '20

Calico --- thanks, supposed to go next month, but figure I've waited nine months or more before so.....might hang out a bit on this one. What was the process --- out of car, walk to little cramped booth still? Big, old fans moved those droplets around? At the end, man sticks arm in car, huffs n puffs as he scrapes old sticker, puts on new? Masked I take it.....but is there anything notably different in the process? Thanks, no wait time makes sense given unless they accept too many appointments OR don't have a full staff, can't take too much longer per car to be C19 ready.....

Wait times --- on the web

Registration --- new, think must be in person, renewals, on-line or mail.

When you hit the mvc page noted above, a screen splash has a highlighted link to online services pages. EZPZ.

Jul '20

When I went in February, which was before all this COVID stuff, the little waiting booth was gone. No heat, no bench to sit down, nothing. Don't know why they removed it though.

Jul '20

Inspections used to be very comprehensive and took time therefore seating, etc. Now only things that are checked are the vehicle’s emissions and gas cap to make sure fuel isn’t leaking. In and out quickly.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Jul '20

They do also check that your paperwork is up to date and you have all items. When I went last year it didn't even look like they checked the gas cap, but then I may have just missed that. My total trip was between 5-10 minutes from when I got my check in ticket at the Randolph entry gate. No time to sit down, lol.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '20

SD - Sorry. I have no answers on any of your questions because the only thing I asked him, when he got home, was if there was a long wait.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '20

Thanks for responding.

9am Friday 7/10. Line out to Rt 57 and down a block.

Tight social distancing as if an 12 inch encroachment will save time.

They need a better way, this is unacceptable.

Jul '20

Gov Murphy has once a gain extended deadlines for motor vehicle transactions including inspections. Check it out and it may alleviate concerns and crowds.

sportsfan sportsfan
Jul '20

Anything new at Washington MVC or is it still jammed?

eapos eapos
Jul '20

does anyone know of a contact number for the the MV on Rt 57..??? After waiting 5 hours in line... they told me to have my bank fax them a release for my car loan and they would call me so i could come in and pick up a replacement Title....bank said they faxed it Thursday... I have a buyer for my car and i am afraid i am going to loose him....this is so frustrating! I even faxed them myself and nothing!

Link is above w contacts.

Jul '20

that is a Trenton phone number - called.. can not speak to anyone....

Eapos, it is very crowded first thing in the morning, like 100+ people waiting in a line that snakes around the grassy area. When I drive by around noon, it might be 10-20 in line on the sidewalk.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '20

That's correct. I went at 8:30 AM and was finished by about 12:30 PM. When I left there were maybe 15 people or so waiting to get their number for service.

Thanks 3wb and greg, maybe I'll wait another couple of weeks

eapos eapos
Jul '20

Regarding inspection these days, has the process stayed the same? Are you still require to step out of your vehicle or do you remain in your vehicle for the entire inspection process now? Just curious as to what to expect.

Jillian Jillian
Jul '20

Jillian - at Washington, it was pretty much the same. You do get out of your car, though you don't wait where you used to (roughly in the middle of the building instead of the far end). I did notice that employees wore gloves & masks, and wiped down the steering wheel, gear shift, and door handles before they gave the car back to you.

Route 46
Jul '20

has anyone been to or by MV on rt 57 lately? need to go AGAIN and can't stand in this heat for any length of time....
thanks for any updates~~

I had an appointment for 10:00 last Saturday 7/18 At the Washington inspection station. I arrived at 10 on the dot and was was the second car in line. The whole thing took less than five minutes and I was out of standing outside my car for maybe three of those minutes. They wore masks and gloves, wiped down the car after they got out and were very polite.

Ty res for the description.

Jul '20

Has anyone been to the dmv in Washington recently? Is it still an all day event with a 5 hour wait? What was your experience and how long were you there?

Mervin
Jul '20

We were at Washington today. Got there at 7 am. Line was around the back of the building. They started giving out #'s and forms at 8 am. Once they opened the office at 8 the line moved pretty fast considering. We were done by 9:15. They only gave out 175 #'s. We were about in the middle of the #'s

My wife has a weak bladder and needs to go the dmv in person for a photo I believe. I don’t know how she’s gonna cope with the waiting times.

Mervin
Jul '20

Its a shame the DMV cannot make appointments for licenses and other paperwork like other states...just shows how backwards NJ really is

Bug3
Jul '20

Any reports from the newton dmv?

Masks Fortheugly Masks Fortheugly
Jul '20

In this regard of backwardness, I agree Bug. I can see for the new secure ID, but seems like there is much paperwork that could be done online to relieve this strain.

Jul '20

Just have everyone make an appointment...no lines

Bug3
Jul '20

I required an additional document two weeks ago when I went for an initial registration. It was a 3-1/2 hour process. The young lady was very nice however and gave me a post-it note stating I could go to the front of the line when I return even if it takes a few weeks to obtain the document. Do you think my death will be counted as a Covid casualty?

2 hours at Newton, bought a used motorcycle in Newton.
Arrived at the Newton MVC @10:30am was done @12:30pm
very easy.

Although two hours is much better than some of the other horror stories, it's still way too long. IMO

If you went to the bank to make a transaction and it took two hours you would be pissed. People need to contact their representatives and complain. The MVC has needed a complete overhaul for years. With the amount of taxes NJ residents pay, this is completely unacceptable.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '20

Before c19 the only mvc issue i ever had was compliance with the verifications. Passport ran out so started bringing more than enough and all was well. Appts for inspection, no issue, really fast. License, paperwork, etc. no worse than checkout at Walmart.

Actually thought it a shining example of privatization.

Guess I just got lucky

But current wait of 2 hours sucks IMO and they should do something. It seems to be stabilizing at that terrible turnaround time. Nit getting better. .

Jul '20

SD - I have always had fairly quick service at the Washington location. Other locations throughout the state have always been a nightmare. I remember personally from before I lived in Warren County, and I've been here almost 25 years, the waits were insane even back then. Still are as I have heard over the years from friends and family who live in other locations in NJ. The point is this has been a long standing problem. We pay, pay, pay and get less, less, less....

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '20

Just read in the news of it taking 7 hours for someone to get their drivers permit! Not at Washington dmv tho.

Mervin
Jul '20

My son just completed his 6 hours behind the wheel. However, the driving school requested the permit. So now we are waiting for it to be processed. I think it is being handled at Randolph. I agree with Calico, my experience with Washington DMV has always been pleasant.

cat1213 cat1213
Jul '20

Calico; they weren’t privatized in NJ when you were outside of Warren County over 25 years ago. Back then, the state run Warren County ones were a disaster too.

I’m not a fan of privatization, but in the case of Warren County mvc sites, seems to work, certainly better than state run.

But in any case, the current situation is awful and needlessly dangerous to public health. Hope they improve soon.

Jul '20

No one-size-fits-all model for privatization. In some cases it is needed, in some it is not.

It takes some critical thinking and assessment of each situation.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '20

The answer to all things: it depends. :-)

Aug '20

I arrived at newton mvc at 10:15. A nice lady at the end of the line told me to go get a number. When I received the number the dmv gal told me to come back in 2 hours. Sweet. I had forgotten my insurance card anyway. Went back home. Got some work done. Had a bagel and went back to newton. When I arrived I was only 18 spots from my number being called. Waited 30 mins inside. Felt like I won a prize.

Meanwhile there is still a mass of people outside waiting in the sun. Not sure why as they have the ticket number system. It seems to lessen the need to stand there like a statue all day

Aug '20

Has anyone been to the Randolph DMV recently? Son passed is drivers test and needs to get his license. Friends of ours camped out several weeks ago, I'm hoping its a little better.

trick trick
Aug '20

We have been here since 10:30 and it is now3:15. Still waiting. We are number 249 they say they take 260!!!. I would say if he comes here get here before 9. Still may have to waotbut should get in

Dadof3
Aug '20

We went to Randolph DMV about 3 weeks ago. My son passed his test on 7/2 in one of those temporary sites in Edison. Deliberately waited a couple of weeks before going to DMV in Randolph on 7/17. Got there at 7:45. Hundreds of people ahead of us (no exaggerstion). Got number and had a couple of hours free. Went for food. By the time its was all done, it was 1pm so a full 5 hrs.

A friend's son in same situation and they went to Flemington DMV 3 days ago and a full 2.5 hrs from beginning to end.

Good luck!

mylittleboo
Aug '20

Washington DMV! Went there, no wait!

Petuina Petuina
Aug '20

Anyone have recent experience at the inspection station on Canfield Rd in Randolph? Just wondering how the wait time was to get vehicle inspected. Thanks.

Went to Newton- no wait.

Greg A
Aug '20

Always loved how fast the Washington DMV was previously but sadly, this is now a "vehicle center only" so cannot get licenses there.

For that we now have to go to DMVs that are designated as "licensing center" such as Randolph and Flemington.

mylittleboo
Aug '20

Hi I have to get two cars inspected- no hassle?
And which inspection do you recco?
Can someone help me

I have always found Newton to be faster than Washington . Last year it took less than 5 minutes to renew a registration and maybe 10 minutes at the Newton inspection station afterwards . I usually renew by mail , but during an inspection year bang em both out in one day and cash in any scrap metal at Georges in the same trip .

https://www.geosalvage.com/

97XBAM 97XBAM
Aug '20

AJMS - Make an appt. at the Washington location.

https://www.njmvis.com/appointments/

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '20

I think it's great that everyone is suggesting to go to this dmv or that dmv but do you realize that at this time not ALL. Dmv's are handling all transactions!!!! People are asking about a particular location because that is the one that need!!. Good luck for wherever you go!!

Dadof3
Aug '20

Definitely go to Washington for inspections. The scheduling is awesome!

Route 46
Aug '20

20 forms have been added online:
https://www.nj.com/news/2020/08/the-mvc-put-20-forms-online-to-cut-down-on-lines-and-wait-times.html

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Aug '20

Why did that take so long?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '20

Everyone, please keep your info coming so we can all keep abreast of this.

Mervin
Aug '20

Wife went to Randolph on Wednesday at 6:30, ended up with ticket #140 and was done by 1pm. I do not think they would have gotten a ticket if they arrived at 8am.

trick trick
Aug '20

Drove by 7:45 AM to try to title a vehicle. Still looked like a lawn concert
(est. 75+people waiting?). I kept driving. Maybe I'll try again in another month when I have a day to kill.

Went to Washington DMV yesterday around 9:15. 5 min to get inside (3 people ahead of me) once in the building an employee was in charge "stand here, go to this window, sit in this chair, go to this window for processing. No clerk was never not helping someone, no one standing around not knowing what to do. The best orchestrated scene I have ever seen, especially for a government agency. Out of there in record time.Well done DMV!

eapos eapos
Aug '20

Well then maybe I try again after the opening door rush and see what it looks like. Eapos experience sounds more encouraging :)

What dmv can I go to to get my written test done ??

Lightningmcqueen Lightningmcqueen
Aug '20

The answer was given above - Randolph and Flemington were both mentioned, the full list is right on the DMV main page. You can see them all here:

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/locations/facilitylocations.htm

Any updates from anyone that has been to Randolph for a license renewal?

Mine expires at the end of September so the extension doesn’t apply to me.
And I also can’t do it online because my picture needs updating.
I’m absolutely dreading it - But hoping the rush will slow down in the next few weeks...?

My husband bought a new car on August 1st and we still have not received the plates. I know MVC is all backed up. Has anyone else bought a new car recently? How long did it take to receive your plates? In the old days, it only took about two weeks.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '20

@Calico696, I bought a car on July 30th. I received them on August 20th.

JennyBean JennyBean
Aug '20

Thanks, Jenny. I guess it should be any day now then.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '20

aside from no plates don't be so worried everything is behind . Being insured is the most important thing. Unfortunately they just don't have the man/ woman power.

Happy my fam is safe Happy my fam is safe
Aug '20

Help! I have to go to Randolph for license renewal this month, September. Once ticketed do you have to wait/stay in line or is it possible to leave and go back with your ticket for your time slot? Thank you.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Sep '20

I would double check but when I registered a motorcycle last month I waited in line then got my number. They sent me two texts stating my time was approaching. The first text actually stated to return to the DMV suggesting I could have left. Once you have your time slot there is no need to assemble in a line again.

Sorry if this has been asked already but is it true that you CANT renew your license at Washington or Newton DMV???

Itiswhatitis
Sep '20

That question was answered above - Washington and Newton are not centers for licenses. You need Randolph, Flemington or others listed in the link quoted above.

Randolph you have to stay inline even after you get your ticket, as of a couple of weeks ago.

trick trick
Sep '20

How many hours are the lines these covid-days to get an Inspection in the Randolph Motor Vehicles?

thank you.

Hackresident Hackresident
Sep '20

Inspection line is about 10 or 15 minutes...its 3 or 4 hours to get in the dmv portion

Bug3
Sep '20

We still have not received the plates for my husbands new car. It's been over a month now.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '20

That should be up to the dealer where you bought it, have you checked with them?

eapos eapos
Sep '20

No, I haven't. I will do it today. I just figured it was the MVC backlog.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '20

What is the dmv lines like in Washington. Anyone know?

Dogmom Dogmom
Sep '20

https://pweb.nj-cleanair.com/waitqueue/pages/facility/home.jsf

Use this link, tap on Randolph and you’ll see real-time photo of the wait queue for inspections

Local Gal Local Gal
Sep '20

I made a written exam appointment at Randolph for an instructor exam. I really needed a motorcycle exam but I figured I could straighten that out at my appointment. I arrived 30 mins ahead of schedule parked on Canfield near high grade and presented my appointment email to the lady directing traffic at the front of the long line. Before I knew it I was sitting inside. When my number was called I was informed I needed a permit before I took the test. I was quickly ushered to a supervisor who with the help of two other really helpful and courteous people I was able to obtain my permit. Take my test. And schedule my road test. A sincere thank you to the folks there. It was a pleasure.

Sep '20

Does anyone know if the DMV in Washington has hours for vulnerable people?

LivingLifeLovingLife LivingLifeLovingLife
Sep '20

The line for Inspection in Randolph was only 10 minutes, if that. I got there at 8:30-8:45 a.m. on a Friday.

On the other hand, the beyond-huge line at the Randolph MVC to get inside the building was probably about 300-400 people!! Cars were parked 2 blocks away in all directions. Get there at 6:30 am if you don't have to make an appointment first (which you may?)

Sep '20

Still no license plates. I sent an email to the dealer on Friday and left a voicemail yesterday. No response. I guess they don't care about customers once the car is out the door.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '20

@Calico696 - that stinks. I got my plates, as I wrote earlier, but now I'm wondering when I will get the title. I can't remember if it will get mailed from DMV, or if the dealer should have gotten it at the time of registration. Anyway, I hope you get resolution soon.

JennyBean JennyBean
Sep '20

Does anyone know if MVC raised the cost of registrations very recently?

I went online to renew my registration and the amount due was $7 more than was indicated on the renewal card I received. The credit card fee was then added on top of the additional $7.

I'm not about to try going there in person, or even trying to call, so I just paid it.

Courtney1 Courtney1
Sep '20

The plates finally came yesterday!

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '20

Courtney 1,
On 8/24 I renewed mine.......the amount on the form said to pay $39.50. I renewed online and was charged $40.79 on my credit card. That’s just $1.29 more

Quiet One Quiet One
Sep '20

Courtney1

Did you accidentally check the box for an extra copy or two of your registration card perhaps? I think they're $3.50 each, though I could be wrong. That would make the difference. Cancel that I guess. I just checked and it's $5 for a duplicate, according to the website.

Did you have a change in status in the meantime? According to this:

"NOTE: The fees for senior citizens 65 and older and person(s) with a disability are $7 less than those stated in all PASSENGER vehicle categories if you own or lease the vehicle. This reduction does NOT apply to boat registrations.

All passenger vehicles or non-commercial trucks registered to recipients of the following programs are eligible for discounted registration fees
Pharmaceutical Assistance to the Aged and Disabled (PAAD). • Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
Lifeline.

If you were in one of these categories and had earlier gotten the $7 discount off your registration, but were maybe temporarily disabled before, but were no longer eligible, they'd likely tack the $7 back on. That's the only obvious place I see reference to exactly $7. That's listed on this page of the MVC website:

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/vehicles/regfees.htm

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '20

What ticks me off about this too is that you can't get mostly full service at one station anymore. They're either licensing stations or they're registration and titling, aka "vehicle" stations, but not both. There also aren't extended hours to clear up the backlog either. What the Flying Pigsicles!

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/about/FREQUENTLY_ASKED_QUESTIONS.pdf

A list of what's what. If you go to Washington to title a privately bought vehicle, but also need your license renewed, you have to go to Randolph or Flemington for that.

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/press/archives/2020/Licensing%20Centers%20and%20Vehicle%20Centers.pdf

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '20

No, Phil. I haven't had any change in status, and I've never had any discount before that I'm aware of.

I compared the plate nos., make, model, year, etc. numerous times and everything matched. It is a 2008 SUV--maybe they imposed a surcharge for gas guzzlers?

The amount on the form was $64.50, then I go online and it says "Amount Due $71.50." So I'm puzzled, but thinking maybe they really raised the service fees. But, at the end, I got hit with an additional $1.93 for the service fee.

I guess it must have been a computer glitch, either now or back when I registered the vehicle.

Thanks for the input Quiet One and Phil.

Courtney1 Courtney1
Sep '20

Courtney1

Does your old registration card also say it's a "Class 8" vehicle, i.e. Older than 2 years and over 3500 lbs? According to the fee schedule link that I showed, a Class 8 vehicle is now $71.50, so it would be a fee hike that wasn't advertised, but went into effect between when your renewal card was mailed and when you actually renewed it. That pretty much suck$!

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '20

Courtney

You might like this

https://www.nj.com/business/2016/11/bamboozled_are_you_paying_the_wrong_vehicle_regist.html

Bug3
Sep '20

Bug3

That's exactly why I brought that issue up too, so thanks for the entertaining read! Part of what I wrote in the last post was lost during editing about checking that her "Class 8" was truly a "Class 8". While I mentioned the weight for the Class 8 (3500 lbs.), I forgot that most people aren't aware of what the curb weight of their vehicle actually is.

I saw they said "He advised he needed to transfer me to the 'database correction department' but warned me that if I proceeded, I would need to go through a hassle of having the vehicle weighed at a weigh station and provide a weigh slip," Gaskill said."

It sounds almost as though they were trying to talk him out of it, however the weigh station price of $10-$14 would be more than offset by one year of the vehicle's registration renewal, since the price difference in renewal is $25! That's a per year savings of $25 too (or a $25 screwing, if you qualify for Class 7 and are being charged for Class 8).

Courtney1 (and anyone else for that matter with a smaller SUV, etc.)

If you have a smaller SUV, such as a some Toyota RAV4's or Kia Sportage, research your vehicle's curb weight to see if you're likely less than the 3500 lb. threshold of you're registered as a Class 8 vehicle. It would be worth the one time fee for a official weighing, as you'd be saving $25 per year of it pans out.

As per the Fee link I posted:

"*The weight class of the vehicle is determined by information contained in the manufacturer's statement of origin (If not defined here, the following resources will be used):

The application for renewal of registration.
The Branham Reference Book.
The MVC's weight class manual.

If the manufacturer's shipping weight is disputable or unavailable, the applicant may be required to have the car weighed on a certified scale under N.J.S.A. 39:3-8. This weight will be considered the manufacturer's shipping weight.

If the weight class (see above chart), color, number of doors and/or model needs to be corrected, visit a motor vehicle agency to complete a Vehicle Correction Application (Form MVS-2 available only at motor vehicle agencies). Customers may also correct the weight on the title through the mail. Send the request to:

New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission
P.O. Box 141
225 East State Street
Trenton, New Jersey 08666-0141"

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '20

Phil and Bug3, it is registered as a Class 8 vehicle. A Google search of my make and model brought a curb weight range between 4,404 to 4,801 pounds. However, I'll definitely keep that information in mind when it's time for a new vehicle.

Curious about what I'd paid in previous years, I did a search of my deleted e-mails for any old MVC confirmation receipts. Interestingly enough, I've been paying $71.50 all along. The registration card stating that I owed $64.50 was wrong. Just glad I renewed online instead of sending them a check in that amount.

Courtney1 Courtney1
Sep '20

Courtney1

Maybe they accidentally applied a discount this year, then corrected it. Unfortunately though, if your curb weight is listed as that high, I really doubt you can try for the under 3500 lbs. category. Fortunately though, there isn't a weight class higher than that they could try to shove it into. Not yet, anyway, but give them time...

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '20

Heads up! - Great news!!
If you need to renew your license in person for a new photo- you can now do it online, even if your renewal form said you had to visit an mvc in person.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/coronavirus/phil-murphy-coronavirus-new-jersey-drivers/2530409/

What do i do? I paid the $39.50 in the mail by check for my Registration Renewal the end of August 2020. The MVC cashed the check a few days later.

Today, Sept. 19, i get a Notice in t he mail from them telling me that they applied the Senior Rate Discount of $7.00 in my $39.50, but i really owe $7.00 more.

It says to send in my Renewal with the total fee + $7.00;
or,
Renew online, where you will be charged the correct fee.

I already paid the $39.50. Do i just send in $7.00? not sure if its to P.O. Box 160 what is on the letterhead; or P.O. Box 134 that is on the envelope.

I'm not sending in another check for $46.50 when they ALREADY CASHED MY CHECK FOR $39.50 !!

What do you think i should do, please? Thank you!

Sep '20

Hackresident

According to the MVC website, which I posted above (and again here, to make it easier to find), you likely have a Class 7 vehicle

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/vehicles/regfees.htm

Class "7, older than 2 years, Under 3,500 lbs. $46.50"

Also below that on that same page:

"NOTE: The fees for senior citizens 65 and older and person(s) with a disability are $7 less than those stated in all PASSENGER vehicle categories if you own or lease the vehicle. This reduction does NOT apply to boat registrations."

Unless they are now suspending the senior discount, it looks as though the MVC screwed up and your first bill was correct. I would call the MVC with all your paperwork in hand, including the check number. They should be able to clear it up for you and get your regixtration sent out, OR tell you if the senior discount was suspended in the interim and that's why you now supposedly "owe" them another $7

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '20

“I would call the MVC” - this made me laugh out loud.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Sep '20

CraftBeerBob

Glad I could be of amusement;-)

Yes, I realize it's a joke trying to get through to them, but that's the only way to get the issue resolved, though one could try emailing, but then again, good luck with that too. The problem is that until the issue is resolved Hackresident will be without their registration and it could expire. I'm sure they don't want those issues.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '20

The same thing happened to me too with the same vehicle I've had for over 10 years . Murphy , the Goldman Saks Governor(who bought the office with his own money)of ineptitude . Moderators kill this vaguely political thread now !

97XBAM 97XBAM
Sep '20

97XBAM

Why, did someone besides you bring up politics and get their post deleted?

It's handy for keeping people informed and help them out in these odd times.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '20

Well I didn't think I did at the time Phil . I mentioned the governor's name in relation to all the excess brining of the roads and cars rotting out because of it in a thread where someone wanted the most money for their Ford Escort with a bad brake line . I didn't think it would have banned/closed the thread but it did . But in my defense I did mention to the OP the possible comeback of cash for clunkers in the event of a certain party winning the presid...err I mean some election in the month of November I think it was ?

The ground breaking supreme court justice who just died and has many implications for the up coming elections is just one example . And no one can discus that freely anywhere here . I suspect that is why Skippy , Brother Dog , and many others are no longer posting . I didn't always agree with them , but I liked to hear what they had to say . A no holds barred section on HL would be most welcome .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Sep '20

I was in the same situation. At the time, the payment online was $7 more than the renewal that I got in the mail. So, I paid by check through snail mail (“saving” $7). Yesterday I got two envelopes from NJMVC. The first is a letter stating that they mistakenly applied the senior discount of $7, and I must remit the correct fee (mail or online) because they cannot renew registrations with insufficient fee. Oh, and guess what was in the second envelope? The registration, of course! Idiots!

FarmerJake FarmerJake
Sep '20

FarmerJake, hope you didn’t pay for their mistake, but maybe they’ll make you pay difference the next time you renew? ;)

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '20

I don’t plan on doing anything since I have the new registration. Who knows if they’ll figure it out and come looking for their money at some point?

FarmerJake FarmerJake
Sep '20

Anyone know the senior hours in Washington? Can't find on their website. The recent passed legislation required senior hours be established.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.northjersey.com/amp/3464432001

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Sep '20

Hackresident

I'm just guessing by FarmerJake's post that if your registration isn't too close to expiration, you may wish to wait it out a few days. Your registration may be "in the mail" as his was and you may not have gotten it yet. Undoubtedly, some kind of kink in the system. If you don't get it before the end of the week, then call. I would keep a copy of your cancelled check (whether you get it back physically or download it and print from your bank's website) with your current registration in your car. That way if you do somehow happen to get stopped in the interim, you have evidence you paid and that it should be current.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '20

Phil D.:

I GOT my Registration last week, and yesterday I got that MVC letter telling me that I paid the wrong amount (their error!!), and that I won't have a registration if the full amount isn't paid.

i'm calling them on early Monday morning. They are such idiots. They screw up and make it sound like I did something wrong.

They cashed my check. And they sent me the Registration. could they put a "block" on it at their end until they get the additional $7.00. idiots.

Sep '20

Hackresident

Sorry, but you said everything BUT that you actually got your registration in your initial post, so it seemed as though they were holding it hostage until you paid. You didn't say they put a block on it until this last post. Still, glad you're calling. They should be able to "fix"it and take the block off.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '20

This must be a software glitch at the NJMVC. My daughter paid for her renewal registration three weeks ago in the full amount indicated online. Today we received a letter from and NJMVC saying that they applied the senior rate in error and then we owed additional seven dollars. That’s not the case. The rate on the paper renewal evidently was a senior rate but the online quoted rate was the correct one. Fortunately I kept my receipt showing I paid the full incorrect amount.

Njpop Njpop
Sep '20

I received a letter today that I received my registration renewal with senior discount applied and that I must add $7 or do it online where I'll be charged the correct price. They have obviously made a huge mistake if they're spending all this $$ to send mass mailings over $7

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Sep '20

The $7 letter has been sent to 300,000.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Sep '20

online must say I owe the $46.50, and I paid the $39.00 and got my registration. I hope they will say to just mail in the $7.00.

I paid the amount the day after I got the original bill. their error. they better not block my Registration in their system!

Sep '20

Don't know if this is of any help, but there's an article in today's Star Ledger (page 14) that reports on this subject. It sounds like if you renewed at an MVC office or on-line, you were charged the correct amount, don't owe the add'l $7, & your renewals are valid. Check your credit card statement to verify that the higher amount was charged. If you paid the wrong fee with a check by renewing through the mail, then you probably owe the extra. At least that's my interpretation.

Sep '20

All computers down statewide.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Sep '20

Sadly the New Jersey Division of Motor Vehicles is one huge debacle.

Greg

It kind of makes you wonder if they're still using their original mainframe which may be COBOL-based, like the Unemployment office. That would account for a lot!

Lonesome Dove

I found a link to the article that states that due to someone inserting an improper line of coding, all people during a time period (October registrations) accidentally received a registration letter with the fee already applied when they weren't qualified to receive it.

https://www.nj.com/news/2020/09/thousands-receive-mvc-letter-saying-they-owe-money-heres-who-has-to-pay-the-7.html

From what I gathered, Hackresident is old enough (65+) to receive the senior discount, although they don't actually state that anywhere. If they weren't entitled to it, I wouldn't think they should have complained in the first place, just sent in a check for $7, knowing that they actually weren't entitled to the discount and that it was an obvious error. But then again, that's what I get for assuming that they're entitled to the discount without actually asking, lol. How many under 65 pay by check anyway, so you can see why I figured they were likely entitled to the discount, lol;-)

It makes one wonder if all the letters went out to everyone that renewed by mail, including seniors that were actually entitled to the discount, or not.

OnTheEdge

Apparently, the computers are back online now (according to nj.com), though the power is still out at the Edison MVC

https://www.nj.com/news/2020/09/mvc-agencies-back-on-line-after-network-problems-left-them-unable-to-process-transactions.html

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '20

"Sadly the New Jersey Division of Motor Vehicles is one huge debacle."

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

ianimal ianimal
Sep '20

What a scene at Washington today. The line wasn't too bad but not everyone who arrived stayed as the computers were down statewide. They came back on about 12:30 but the staff announced they couldn't process any cards for payment, only cash or checks accepted. That sent people scurrying to find an ATM or more just to give up. Staff members came out of the office to give periodic updates, nice people showing concern for the customers. I met people from Hudson County, Montville and Edison who had come to Washington due to the extreme lines at DMVs close to them. Another point of aggravation was the splitting of which locations could do what, one stop is over at least for time being. One person had spent 7 hours at Randolph on Friday to get a license and were in Washington for car registration today. Pretty crazy. Senior hours have not yet been established.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Sep '20

I just sent in my check for $7.00. I hope they are smart enough to see I paid $39.50! I listed all my info in a letter (insurance co.; registration number; license plate, etc.)

Sep '20

Just to let people know..if you need to renew license you usually can to it online EVEN IF your renewal says in person. This according to the website. Wife renewed hers today online and was supposed to go in person..

Itiswhatitis
Sep '20

Seniors are supposed to be Tuesday and Thursday, 2-4pm; don't know if implemented in Washington.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Sep '20

Any recent attempts at registering a new car (Fsbo) and getting new plates.. was thinking of going Monday but can’t stand in line for hours

My friend went to Washington DMV yesterday morning to register a car. She for there at 7, doors opened at 8 and she was done just before 9. And she said all the workers there were super nice and friendly. She had expected the worst.

mylittleboo
Sep '20

Any updates on how things are going in Washington, or recommendations on when to arrive in order to get through as quickly as possible?

i went monday to register a car and ger new plates.. got there at 7;15... a little after 8:15 or so they came around with numbers - i was #32. had my registration and plates by 9... better than i thought it would be..my last rip there wa 5 hours long!!

Thanks everyone for keeping us updated. I think it helps others know how things are going so perhaps they can plan accordingly.

Mervin
Oct '20

Itiswhatitis, yes. Same thing happened to my DH. Paperwork said he must go in person to renew his DL but he tried it online and it went thru.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '20

They won’t let you renew your DL in Washington- they called out of line and told them to go to Randolph or flemington I think

I did the same thing renewing my license online , even though it cost a dollar more . About a week later I got the renewal form in the mail saying it must be done in person . So does my receipt mean I prepaid in advance and still have to go or I will get the license in the mail because of being a senior and the overcrowding ? Splitting the agencies into licensing only centers and registration only was seemingly done with no forewarning or did I miss it ?

97XBAM 97XBAM
Oct '20

FYI - my son left Hackettstown Friday morning at 6:40 to head to Washington, he was number 30 in line when he got there. By 9:00 he was seen and had his new Title and registration for his new to him used car - Obviously your mileage may vary, but all in all his experience went pretty well.

He did send me a picture around 8:00 and the line had grown all the way out to and turned down Rte. 57.

Got my renewed driver's license today in the mail good for 4 years . My advice to anyone who doesn't want to wait for hours and doesn't plan on flying(or you may already have a passport)anywhere soon is to renew by mail .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Oct '20

This may of been discussed but have they extended hours to get this back under control?

We cannot continue like this. I am now over due on a few trailers and cannot do them by mail, also never received a new reg for a vehicle which I filed for online. I do not have the time to sit in such a line, so I drive with the paid receipt.

Darrin Darrin
Oct '20

Admit it. There’s a little thrill from holding a brand new driver’s license, still warm from the laminating machine as you leave the motor vehicle agency, especially after a long wait. Soon, the thrill will be gone. New Jersey is following the lea...
https://www.nj.com/news/2020/10/sorry-nj-the-thrill-of-getting-a-new-drivers-license-in-person-is-over-its-in-the-mail-instead.html

Bug3
Oct '20

Sorry... "thrill" and "NJMVC" do not belong in the same sentence, Bug3 (-,

"Relief", maybe...

ianimal ianimal
Oct '20

Thrill? Maybe the first one. Once I paid for one paying for a new one never appealed to me.

Roywhite Roywhite
Oct '20

I've noticed the new license I got in the mail expires on my birthday 4 years from now and not October 31st like it had since I first got it at age 17 . It has to be renewed a few weeks earlier now , but totally worth it to not have to wait for hours in an overcrowded designated licensing center in the middle of a worldwide plague .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Oct '20

97XBAM

Yes, the new law recently changed expiration dates to the last day of the month of people's birthdays, rather than end of the month they first got their license. I think besides being an extra security measure (or a requirement for the Real ID license perhaps too?) it will make it easier for people to remember when their expiration date is.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '20

Man, I saw the line Fri, 9am. Ridiculous. They need to improve, too long, gone on for too long.

Oct '20

The expiration date wasn't on the last day of the month of my birthday it was on my actual birth date which is in September and well before the last day of that month .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Oct '20

97XBAM

I stand corrected. Got my facts mixed up a bit whilst thinking of another issue. Since my birthday was the First of Oct. and my Expiration date the 30th of November of this year, my new renewal shorts me almost 2 full months. I guess I deserve that, considering years ago to break up the renewal cycle, I was one of the people granted a 6 year license instead of the standard 4.

That's what I get for not reading fully and posting when I haven't eaten all day;-)

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '20

No problem Phil .The big mistake is still going on by the DMV mailing out renewal statements saying please renew at a DMV and not by mail .This over floods the few license only DMVs and in turn overflows the registration and title only DMVs . It's one big mess that could be cleared up in part if the governor would state license renewal only at DMV can be done online/by mail and please do registration renewals online and by mail also .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Oct '20

97XBAM

Apparently on mine they did just correct this issue. My license renewal does actually have "Skip The Trip" right on the face of it and states inside that a standard license renewal can be done online and the points of ID part is apparently waived, since there's nothing mentioned on it. All it says is to use the enclosed envelope, etc. I just received it (renewal application) between 1 and 2 weeks ago.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '20

In my license renewal envelope(which came in the middle of September)was the license renewal form , an envelope to send it back in , a 6 points of ID pamphlet , a census reminder , and 2 voter registration forms . About 10 days after renewing online the skip the trip notice came in the envelope with the new license . So I guess I did what they wanted me to do before they told me to do it .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Oct '20

Has anyone been to the randolph DMV to obtain a license within the past month? My son passed his road test on friday however he was not able to get his license because of the office being closed due to covid. They told us they will reopen up on December 12th so wondering if we need to get there super early to wait on line as was the case months ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Of course since this would be his first license we are not able to do this online. Thank you.

Lovingmom Lovingmom
Dec '20

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/locations/facilitystatus.htm

This website shows the status of all licensing stations. Newton might be a good “ By appointment Only” option. Might minimize wait times too.

Local Gal Local Gal
Dec '20

Unfortunately since my son will be going for his first license appointments are not allowed according to the dmv website- I tried. I was just hoping that maybe someone had gone to Randolph DMV recently and knew if they were still having people wait on long lines.

Lovingmom Lovingmom
Dec '20

Went by Washington today about11.30 m. Looked like 3 or 4 people outside...

Mmadone Mmadone
Dec '20

https://newjersey.news12.com/all-new-jersey-mvc-centers-will-be-by-appointment-only-starting-monday

Interesting
Dec '20

NJMVC completely screwed up their website and now I can't figure out how to schedule an inspection in Washington. When you click on the link for a list of inspection stations, it redirects you to an interactive GIS map that doesn't even show the Washington MVC Inspection Station; it only identifies private inspection stations. Has anyone successfully navigated this POS?

ianimal ianimal
Feb '21

Nevermind... I figured it out. Theres a well hidden link in the FAQ page...

ianimal ianimal
Feb '21

Does anyone know if you can renew your drivers license in the Washington MVA?

No, you can't... I think Flemington and Randolph are your two closest options for licensing.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '21

You can renew online if that helps.

Anyone know if the Newton MVC inspection station is open and if you need an appointment?

The_Bishop The_Bishop
Mar '21

Randolph is very quick..with no appointments

Bug3
Mar '21

Thanks!

The_Bishop The_Bishop
Mar '21

What’s it like now getting your car inspected in covid times?

Sacks cousin
Mar '21

Very very easy..the long lines at randolph are for the dmv..inspection line very short

Bug3
Mar '21

The is bug3. But do you still get out of the car? Does the DMV guy drive your car through the different stations? Does everyone have masks?

Sacks cousin
Mar '21

I believe they only check emissions these days - That's how it was when we went a few years ago....................

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '21

Well yes you get out of the car...every one has a mask...and they only check emissions..nothing else

Bug3
Mar '21

Thank you very much.

Sacks cousin
Mar '21

Has anyone had to Transfer the title of a car belonging to a deceased relative???
i know i have to make an appointment but there are 2 categories to choose from on the site and I don't want to spend my day going to the wrong place...HELP Please!!!

JRN
Its best to contact the County surrogate..Kevin O'neil..He will help you get the power of attorney and other legal documents to transfer the title..then most likely you will need to talk to a supervisor in D.MV..The regular clerks in Washington will run you in circles and drive you onsane

Bug3
Jul '21

I've done this a few times recently. You will simply need the Surrogate document from the executor of the estate along with the title signed by same. It's very common place. As an aside the surrogate paper must be an original with the raised seal. It is a title transfer.

Thank you but I have to make an appointment on line and there are two choices as to which dmv to go to and I don’t have time to make a mistake…???

I would go to either the Washington or the Randolph DMV locations. Not the inspection centers of course.

Do what Greg said.

Make appointment at Washington. Take raised seal paper and the signed title of surrogate.

I just did this a few weeks ago. Simple!

Hopeful Hopeful
Jul '21

I did make an appointment in Washington but the address said Washington st which I believe is where you get your car inspected.. so I am a little confused.. not sure I know which one to go to and I don’t want to loose my appointment.. why do they make this so difficult???

Port Colden Mall
404 E Washington Ave, Washington, NJ 07882

This is the one you want.

You would know if you were making appointment for inspection. It is a link to totally different site.

Hopeful Hopeful
Jul '21

Ahhh thanks Greg.. I thought that was ty 57!!!
Thank you again for the clarification!!

Does anyone have the direct link to the inspection site for NJDMV?

I keep a book mark for the inspection system:

https://www.njmvis.com/appointments/

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Motor Vehicle
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.