Ceitner farms/agro foods on Mt Ave

Anybody else notice the absurd amount of animals they've got in those pens? Chickens goats and sheep piled on top and each other. When I drove by yesterday in the pouring rain I realized they don't even have enough shelter to get or of the weather.

Cluckcluckbaaaa Cluckcluckbaaaa
Aug '19

Yes! I have noticed it and other people have mentioned it to me. I plan on contacting Washington twp. to see what is going on. They do not have enough property to accommodate all these animals. Very sad that Greenway sold to them.

sunshine3 sunshine3
Aug '19

Where is this?...never saw it

Bug3
Aug '19

it's actually over the bridge on Schooley's Mt Road - the old Greenway Florists

justsayin justsayin
Aug '19

Trust me - there is always something you can do. I don't care who is backing it. Animals should not be mistreated and there is not enough room for them - complain enough to the township and they will go.

sunshine3 sunshine3
Aug '19

call animal control for your town - now -

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '19

Booster90, where did you hear this? about nothing that can be done? I am sure they are for slaughter.......this is the most disgusting in your face BS. Some 'religious holiday' I heard.........every day there are men walking among the animals while the women wait out front.....I guess picking out what animals they want. Is it even legal to kill animals in large amounts on that property?
When these people moved in, they let out a cat...not fixed......soon after moving in. They don't 'care' about animals.
Shame on the previous owner for selling to this group. He lives in Hastings, I hope he's proud of what is going on.

worried worried
Aug '19

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eid_al-Adha

Eid al-Adha is this weekend. Muslims may be purchasing animals for the sacrifice.

YeahRight YeahRight
Aug '19

Most farmers dont “care” about animals. You can’t slaughter something – whether it’s a cow, calf, the lamb, goat, chicken, etc. if you care deeply about them.

Don’t ride by the Long Valley creamery because there are lambs that are killed there all of the time.

ParanoiaDestroys ParanoiaDestroys
Aug '19

Let me tell you though that creamer has the best damn cheese you can get anywhere really... Pricey but worth it.

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Aug '19

Muslims..….yeah, right....what about the.....(fill in your most favorite hated minority to blame, my goodness I love this town...…throw Muslims under the bus in favor of animals....)

There is no really excuse for sloppy farming and it usually adds cost in the long run. Sure, "producing" meat is a tough business, don't ever go to a veal farm, but no need for sloppy farming. And worse yet, we are funding it via our tax dollars via Green Acres: https://planning.morriscountynj.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/ResaleInfo-190110.pdf Not that there's anything wrong with that, but certainly means we have a $$$ stake in this venture and this looks to be less than what I think of when I think green. Here's a number of things you can try. Obviously not an exhaustive list and there may be much better things to do, but some ideas:

Try voicing your opinion, respectfully, on their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pg/Cetiner-Farm-and-Agro-Foods-Inc-314685892397711/about/?ref=page_internal

List a complaint with the State: https://www.nj.gov/agriculture/divisions/ah/news/complaintforms.html

Give a review: https://www.yellowpages.com/hackettstown-nj/mip/agro-foods-542015186

It's a business, give BBB a shot: https://www.bbb.org/local-bbb/bbb-serving-new-jersey (there are no complaints filed as of yet)

Personally, if motivated, I might try the Facebook approach, politely at first, before I tried any of these other sources.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Aug '19

I have called and filed a complaint against this place, it has to go through the department of agriculture because they are farm animals.

Pumpkin43 Pumpkin43
Aug '19

Pumpkin43 -- can you share the contact, how you did this?

happiest girl
Aug '19

Yes, please share. The more complaints the more pressure on them to do something.

Positive Positive
Aug '19

So if they were Jewish or Christian it would be okay?

Aug '19

I think it's disgusting that people are actually blaming the prior owner of Greenway, when in all actuality the people who bought this Cetiner Farm may not have been very honest. First, they have been there for about what, 18 months? They have had a sign labeled Agro Fruit and Nut, leading people to believe they were just some fruit and nut wholesalers, but in all actuality it seems their plan has been to make this facility a slaughter house all along. They only have a permit for wholesale, but seem to be trying via flyer and website to market themselves as retail, although they don't have a retail selling license according to WT officials, is this even legal? I don't think most residents in this community want a slaughter house period. The living conditions of those animals seems to be inhumane, as they are overcrowded. I'm also wondering how they can label everything organic, when they've had the property for only such a short time. I truly hope they are not scamming people saying what they are selling is organic, if they are not sure.

nota vegan nota vegan
Aug '19

Who said anything bad about Muslims? They have an upcoming holiday. Fact.

YeahRight YeahRight
Aug '19

Several people said something about Muslims. Weren’t you reading ??

Aug '19

Re: Ceitner farms/agro foods on Mt Ave

Its for the Muslim holiday today. Heres the flyer.

kelleo22 kelleo22
Aug '19

I called animal control who put me in contact with the department of agriculture.

Pumpkin43 Pumpkin43
Aug '19

Anyone think of maybe stopping in and saying hello to the owners and checking it out first hand before calling in complaints and making statements about poor conditions for animals that may(or may not) be not so poor. Neither the authorities nor the owners need unnecessary gibberish being thrown at them.

I've never seen the place, but in the past have worked closely with several local farms, both plant and animal producing, and everyone has been wonderful to work with, and are kind, hardworking, honest people trying to make a living.

Try being a friendly neighbor instead of jumping to conclusions that may(or may not) be off base. The keeping of livestock is regulated very differently than keeping pets in your home, so what is "not right" in your eyes, may(or may not) be perfectly fine.

Local chef
Aug '19

Well said Local Chef!!

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Aug '19

I heard first hand that they slaughter. I stopped awhile back and asked. Thank you so much for this post. Really appreciate it.

Angela Angela
Aug '19

I have seen the conditions and I have witnessed animals that are sick and injured. My worries were verified after the authorities did a check on the place and confirmed that their were injured animals on the property. They also stated they received other complaints and those complaints were legitimate as to the welfare of the animals.

Pumpkin43 Pumpkin43
Aug '19

"From what I understand", these animals are brought in from all different slaughter houses including, perhaps Stiger Street auction market. From what I understand, alot of these people are now going to the Lancaster Pa area's to buy because they get better deals than Stiger St and then "probably" bring to Ceitner farms and then, who knows. I know that these farm animals cannot be healthy because they are being raised for sale.

Angela Angela
Aug '19

Since the Prophet Mohammed’s era, Muslims have marked the incident by sacrificing animals.

After the sacrifice, Muslims share meat with the needy, who might not eat meat often, and their relatives, fulfilling God’s vision of brotherly relations.

I'm not a fan , today the area around the farm looked like the middle east. However till american people wake up and say NO MORE! this will still happen. These people bring their 3rd world garbage with them....there is no melting pot with them!

VoiceOfReason VoiceOfReason
Aug '19

I've been inside the place. It definitely didn't seem sanitary enough to pass any type of health inspection where they bag the mixed fruit/nuts.

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Aug '19

They must be legit. Police presence( directing traffic) at 4 pm today would not have been necessary if they thought anything wrong was going on.

auntiel auntiel
Aug '19

Let's do something about this situation....what are our legal options?

Nallie Nallie
Aug '19

I don't think going on to their land to talk to them about animal abuse is a wise choice. Not unless you already know them.

Here' the complaint form from the State: https://www.nj.gov/agriculture/divisions/ah/news/complaintforms.html

I have little standing here, having never been there, but there's a number on the form that you may call in case they can recommend other alternatives over the complaint form. Phone: (609) 671-6400 Not sure that would be advantageous whatsoever. Hopefully it's a start since I see no other tel. no's on this thread. At least they might tell you if you can email the form vs. mail or fax.

There's also the State Vet, again not sure what help or recommendations they can find; they are just also on the form: State Veterinarian email address: state.veterinarian@ag.state.nj.us

If someone follows up, they can add info no doubt.

Aug '19

Christ was middle eastern.

Aug '19

Cops are there now, have been for a few hours. Not sure why

pumpkin43 pumpkin43
Aug '19

Is the event over? Did they sell the animals to go home and be slaughtered or did they do it there? At least Totten Farms ships their animals out for processing

Kelleo22 Kelleo22
Aug '19

looks like they are selling more animals..

pumpkin43 pumpkin43
Aug '19

Harmony Township had a similar issue and if I recall nothing was done about it...

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/2019/04/a-local-farm-wants-to-slaughter-sheep-for-a-religious-holiday-heres-why-the-township-has-a-problem-with-that.html

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/2019/05/as-neighbors-feud-over-a-farms-festival-of-religious-animal-sacrifice-a-county-board-patiently-waits-to-make-its-call.html

I found a more in depth article on PBS about the issue: https://www.wlvt.org/blogs/warren/farm-strife/

It could be worse. In NYC they have people swinging chickens over their heads and then slaughtering them, and the streets are covered in blood and feathers. The birds are kept in cramped cages for days with no food or water before they are swung and slaughtered.

It's a Jewish ritual called kapparot, and there seems to be nothing anyone can do b/c of "religious freedom".

https://www.thedodo.com/kapparot-animal-slaughter-chickens-1355682268.html

Does "religious freedom" still sound good to people?

HackersShouldDie HackersShouldDie
Aug '19

Police still there today. Maybe it's the KKK coming up from Oxford.

Acl76 Acl76
Aug '19

Any word as to what's going on?

Angela Angela
Aug '19

auntiel, the police are there (hired by the land owner) to direct traffic if needed. Any resident/ business/ church can do that. It has nothing to do with if the place is 'legit' or breaking any laws as far as slaughter etc.

For everybody that is concerned about what is going on there, please call the town or the dept of agriculture. Pumpkin43, can you share that # since you were directed to contact them??
I'm not sure about what makes an animal 'organically raised' but certainly not buying it at auction, cramming into a dirty pen and having 6 men standing over the animal in the dirt to slaughter it. Yeah, that was visible from the road.......Local Chef, is that what you would want to serve as 'organic' in your place?? Hope not.
Most of the animals look half dead.....

worried worried
Aug '19

Following

A nes A nes
Aug '19

For everybody that is concerned........

Yes I am concerned......about all the racist people and their racist comments on this thread.

What is happening

Erinn Erinn
Aug '19

Division of Agriculture 608-292-5532

Animal Health 609-671-6400

Positive Positive
Aug '19

CBGB where is any racist comments? And what's with you not being bothered by animal abuse? Do you hate animals?

Plunger Plunger
Aug '19

Correction first number is 609 not 608

Positive Positive
Aug '19

Something has to be done about this. Does anyone know what is going on - does he have a permit to do this. I will be contacting the department of Agriculture and also animal health.

sunshine3 sunshine3
Aug '19

Sunshine3...what did you find out? Just curious. Thanks.

Angela Angela
Aug '19

I didn't find out anything. Made calls left messages. I don't want to complete a complaint until I know the facts. I know the residents in Hastings Square are not happy with it - It was brought up at the last community meeting. Hopefully I will make more progress next week. If Muslims need to do this for whatever reason they need to take it away from a populated area like this. I find it hard to believe this man has a permit to keep so many animals in such conditions. Greenway used to be such a cute little place with flowers and veggies in the summer - very sad - especially for the animals.

sunshine3 sunshine3
Aug '19

https://ecode360.com/11397154

Edit... sorry, wrong Washington Township, but I'm sure the one in Morris County has a very similar one, as all the right-to-farm ordinances are based on State code.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '19

I would like you to know, the proper authorities have been to the farm before and after the Muslim holiday. All involved are well aware of the conditions of the animals. He has been warned. He was also made to have a vet come out and treat some. I do know this was verified. Some animals were slaughtered on the farm 8/11-13. Others were sold and left for the auction. He is under a careful watch by the Dept of Ag.

And so if you still have valid concerns, hopefully with documented evidence, but at minimum with a verbal account you can repeat, keep the pressure on. Squeaky wheels......

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Aug '19

Is this what we have to look forward to every Muslim holiday? Does he need a permit to slaughter animals? I rode by there yesterday and he had many animals out in the front - it looked like too many for the area. I hope they do keep an eye on him. He needs to be under careful watch. Thank you for the information.

sunshine3 sunshine3
Aug '19

Does anyone have a photo of the overcrowding by any chance? For example, this is what's perfectly legal for any beef feedlot.

kepa
Aug '19

They canceled the Muslim holiday in which took place in a beautiful neighborhood farming community in Harmony township. At least what I got from article. Supposedly authorities say there is a lawful way to slaughter and were not convinced they were doing so. Why are they just allowed to slaughter? This is disgusting regardless of faith. Apparently the animals in Harmony were in really bad shape before the slaughter for many years.

Just b me
Aug '19

I actually know someone who worked there for a few weeks packing trail mix to be sold to stores. Apparently they moved to there home location. She said it was disgusting and couldn't work for them under there conditions. They did not have a food license for manufacturing.

Just b me
Aug '19

how about the nearly 50 million turkeys slaughtered every year for Thanksgiving.
google turkey farm, you will get mostly worst case scenario but check it out anyway.

Are you an owner or investor in this property cbgb? You seem to be taking it very personally. Why can’t you and a few others understand that this property is on a main road near homes and seeing this type of cruelty is disgusting and distressing. Yes, the other farming cruelty exists but every bit helps to prevent it.

Hey, I have been to a veal farm; that's about as low as one can go.

Or how about farm raised fish. Yeah, you thinking a farm, some tanks, kinda like looking at the fish at Pequest Hatchery. How about giant pens in the ocean with fish crammed in like turkeys needing all sorts of chems for the crap produced. Now place it in Vietnam without FDA guidelines.....

Point is --- it's a tough business, I love vegetarian, but I love meat too. The only issue I have with any farm is are they following the law, not with the fact that animals must be tightly packed or slaughtered in large quantities to serve demand. And let the law determine what is judged to be humane, and if you don't like it, work to change the law. That's my only issue here.

Aug '19

I agree either cbgb is an owner or investor or he just hates animals who knows. It is very depressing to live near this place. Every day I go by the place it makes me sick to think that animals are being abused and slaughtered - this is really disgusting. Hopefully something will be done and this place will be put out of business!

sunshine3 sunshine3
Aug '19

i think CBGB is just pointing out the "NIMBY" and the "not my holiday" hypocrisy some are showing.

Jim L Jim L
Aug '19

I heard about a holiday that glorifies torturing to death a nearly naked man by nailing him to a wooden frame and leaving him exposed to the elements until he died.

This is disgusting and horrible. It's a terrible thing to expose our poor children too. What's worse, some practitioners even make small effigies of this sadistic event and hang it over their children's bed all the time!!!

what's this world coming too. SMH

Bemused Bemused
Aug '19

Jim, maybe this is a case of NIMBY. A slaughterhouse like this in a residential area is not okay. Animal abuse regardless of religion is not okay. What’s so hard to understand?

Suze, When you build a residential area next to a farm don't be surprised to see farm things happening. Also if you are worried about animal abuse regardless of religion please remember that when picking up your Easter Ham or Thanksgiving Turkey.

Jim L Jim L
Aug '19

I don’t eat ham and turkey, so I’m good. And as for farm things happening - there are farms and there are slaughter houses. How many other farms in this area are doing what Cetiner is doing? Not Donaldsons, Ort, Alstede, or any other I can think of with animals out in the open. Even Totten which does kill the cows and pigs doesn’t slaughter them in public view! These farms also don’t keep animals in abusive conditions.

Who said the animals were being slaughtered in public view?

HackersShouldDie HackersShouldDie
Aug '19

https://ecode360.com/11404434

Found the WT-MC "right-to-farm" ordinance... if you think they're in violation, file a complaint with the Township Zoning officer.

Relevant passages:

"The right to engage in agriculture, as defined herein, shall be permitted in any zone, and it shall be presumed that such uses, activities and structures in connection therewith shall not constitute a public or private nuisance, provided that such agricultural uses are conducted in conformance with the acceptable agricultural management practices defined herein."

"All uses and structures customarily incidental to agriculture shall be permitted accessory uses in all zones, including, but not limited to:
(12)The raising and keeping of farm animals, including pets, pastoral farm animals (dairy and beef cattle, sheep and goats), swine, fowl, horses, ponies and mules, provided that proper sanitation standards, minimum acreage limits and boundary sizes between fencing or enclosures and joining properties are established."

ianimal ianimal
Aug '19

All I have read on this thread is hearsay and misinformation. some comments have been deleted but not one shred of evidence.

https://www.worldbulletin.net/filebox/the-mercy-behind-halal-slaughter-methods-h120597.html

CBGB - Shukron

CBGB how do you know that everything is hearsay and misinformation? and what comments have been deleted? Do you live near this place? Seems to me from your comments you do not really care about animals correct? I see first hand what is going on and I will file a complaint with the zoning board.

sunshine3 sunshine3
Aug '19

I see this place everyday and i have seen the lame/mistreated animals first hand. I have seen the goats and sheep hogtied and thrown into the back of a pick up truck for slaughter. I have seen the chickens running into the road and no one there cared at all when I chased them back over of fear of them being hit by a car. I have made my concerns clear to animal control/dept of agriculture but not much seems to be being addressed.

Pumpkin43 Pumpkin43
Aug '19

Maybe one of the news outlets would pick up this story?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '19

Have any of you ever passed the livestock auction? Literally the exact same treatment of stock animals. I passed by here yesterday evening going up Schooley's and saw a moderate amount of goats in a grassy pasture with plenty of room to move (pen to the left of the entrance area). An I missing something?

kepa
Aug '19

These animals probably get treated better than those in a typical American corporate meat processing plant. So many great restaurants in the area, wonder where they get their meat from? No shortage of buyers at the meat and deli counters at ShopRite and Weiss. I wonder how many of those that enjoy a great steak, a hamburger, or a turkey on Thanksgiving really have the guts to do the deed themselves. I guess buying it from a store relieves one of the guilt.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Aug '19

From another forum, in another place:

"I live where beef and pork is raised and it is horrendous the things that these unfortunately creatures endure right up to the time of slaughter. I'd like everyone who eats beef, pork, lambs, goat and poultry to go to a slaughter house and see what goes on inside. Bet you that a large percentage would stop eating meat.

Almost every day I see large 18 wheel trucks transporting steer on a 20+ hour trip to Iowa where they are put in feed lots and fed GMO corn and antibiotics before being slaughtered. The trip may be in the hottest days of summer or coldest in winter and they are forced to stand packed in together without water or food. Often times the drivers will park to comply with federal trucking regulations and these creatures endure another 8 to ten hours in the truck. There is no one to speak out about this animals abuse."

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Aug '19

I will never understand how people can treat animals like this. They have very dark souls and something wrong in their brain and in their heart. Someday they will pay a price for their actions.

Sunshine 3 Sunshine 3
Aug '19

That’s why I’m vegetarian working towards being vegan.

Seems like many want to eat the sausage but don’t want to see the sausage being made.

Stymie Stymie
Aug '19

"Seems like many want to eat the sausage but don’t want to see the sausage being made"

I'm sure that's true, but so what?

Many people decide to get surgery, but does that mean they also should must see what that surgery looks like? People use the bathroom, but does that mean they shouldn't unless they want to see the whole sewage process? Many people know that the most popular red food coloring comes from a kind of beetle, but does that mean they have to want to see it before they are allowed to eat it?

Sure, this whole thing is a NIMBY issue, but I don't fault people for not wanting to see it in plain sight.Just because it doesn't bother some, I wish those people would stop being so judgemental of others that are bothered by it.

Would you be bothered if you had a beautiful farming community in Harmony and because there is a neighboring farm and owners are too lazy to farm, so they create a deal with muslins that legally can not slaughter in the states they live, so 300 or more csrs come through the neighborhood for 3 days of slaughter on this farm for the Muslim holiday. 4 to 8 people per car load. Muslim children get out of the cars with knives in hand ready to slaughter. They are crawling under fences of neighboring farms, looking for animals. Not to mention the disgusting smell and what the neighborhood children watch them do. Its not hidden. Apparently some of the animals come from ceitner. Im not from Harmony, but i could gaurantee each and every one of you would be livid if this took place in a beautiful Htown community. These farmers work so hard to keep beautiful live stock and farms and they stay up all night to do surveillance on this Muslim holiday... what ashame.

Just b me
Aug '19

Rich wait until they find out where some vanilla flavoring comes from and what it has to do with beavers.

Yesimpc Yesimpc
Aug '19

dodgebaal is right on the mark.

I remember one time when I was traveling on the highway with my pre-teen kids somewhere and the tarp came loose on a trailer full of crated, live chickens. These crates were stacked like milk crates, less than 8 inches high (probably giving the chickens less than 7 inches total headroom.) Legs were sticking out, we saw a couple of broken eggs at the edges of the crates, and they were packed in there like pillow stuffing.

Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFO's) are a form of animal abuse that we all participate in when we get our cheap pork, beef, chicken eggs and turkeys. These animals lead short, miserable lives (dairy and beef cattle probably have it the best....until "finishing time" comes for the beef and they are crowded and crammed full of corn.)

Cetiner Farms might be a lot of things, but I don't think they are cruel.The Muslim celebration of an Old Testament version of god that many religions still believe in (biting my tongue...let's just say that I'm happy to be a deist) is, on balance, probably more humane than any mass animal slaughter operation.

I've always encouraged my kids to "be responsible for your meat." Ethical hunting or raising/caring for/appreciating animals...even you will eventually kill them and eat them....is a responsibility that few take on nowadays (me included...but I intend to go hunting again this fall.)

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Aug '19

So to get this straight, passerby have seen animals being slaughtered for Eid at this farm as they drive by?

kepa
Aug '19

Time stamp part of video.

https://youtu.be/ZjE9T-KQZOU?t=2238

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Aug '19

It's not as cruel as things being done in kosher slaughterhouses and for Jewish holidays. But we can't complain b/c we will be called "anti-semitic".

https://forward.com/news/12666/shackle-and-hoist-kosher-slaughter-comes-under-01274/

https://www.peta.org/features/agriprocessors/

And the streets of New York are literally filled with chicken blood, feathers and rotting chicken parts for their kapparot holiday, and we can't do a thing about it. Once again, b/c of "freedom of religion":

https://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/271032/chicken-blood-is-everywhere

https://www.newsweek.com/kapparot-why-thousands-chickens-will-die-israel-today-controversial-religious-1124404

MikeDiG MikeDiG
Aug '19

Well then let’s also talk about Yulin festival in China where they eat dogs and cats.

You can detract and deflect all you like, but this is HACKETTSTOWN LIFE FORUM! And this property borders or is on Hackettstown land and affects people and conditions locally, so everyone posting about conditions elsewhere in the country okay, we get it.

Again, thank you to those concerned about the animal welfare and contacting local authorities and officials.

I really think it would be a story a news outlet would want to investigate. From wfmz to nbc. Can’t hurt?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '19

The owner of the farm is a professor and a very approachable person. Why not voice your concerns to him?

Aug '19

He needs to go somewhere else to do his dirty work. I find it hard to believe the township gave him a permit to slaughter animals there. Everyone concerned needs to contact the planning board in Washington township Morris county and file a complaint. We need to keep on it and not give up.

Sunshine 3 Sunshine 3
Aug '19

No one complaining about this place should ever drive by ISE egg factory farm in nearby Asbury! Just ten minutes from downtown Hackettstown and about as much animal misery packed into metal barns that you can imagine. And poor working conditions.
Did you all really buy a home in ruralish ag country, and expect to never witness any part of livestock rearing/processing?
Just saying, the animals in pens I saw at Ceitner this week were in MUCH larger grassy pans than the petting zoo calf at Donaldsons, the dog in a cage I used to pass up Petersburg rd, and a world away from the awful lives of Bartons West End Farm biomedical dog, sheep, and monkey victims in Independence. I really don't understand the outrage.

kepa
Aug '19

"The owner of the farm is a professor and a very approachable person. Why not voice your concerns to him?"

I suggested the same earlier paranoia, but logical thinking and any sort of rationale go out the window pretty quickly around here. Apparently in Hackettstown, people are eating steaks and chicken that fall from trees. Then add in the fact that MUSLIMS, I repeat, MUSLIMS, are infiltrating the area to practice a religious ritual(that, by the way, at least in theory seems to be very compassionate to the less fortunate in their communities)....

On the bright side, I guess we've got it pretty good here to have a relatively trivial circumstance cause such an outcry.

On a serious note, the only real potential issue here is whether or not the animals are being kept in compliance with whatever ordinance(s) there are for livestock...which are generally not exactly high standards. If not in compliance, there's probably a warning, then maybe another warning and/or fine, etc...

Where the animals are coming from, and where they are going is, or whether or not they're being slaughtered(GASP!!!) is just background noise that people will take upon themselves to have issues with.

Local chef
Aug '19

I have traveled out west and can assure you that the meat that most everyone is purchasing is kept in far worse conditions. The cows are kept so crowded that there is no way for grass to grow because they move around in there own feces. Please note I did not say walk. There is not enough room to walk. Cows that produce milk very rarely even go outside. Pigs are even worse. Chicken are kept in huge numbers in crates, buildings and have their beaks cut so when they peck at each other they cannot cause any damage. I am in no way advocating what is being done here in our town, but people are supporting that type of farming because they cannot see it and it’s not happening in a location they can see, but go to the store and purchase/support these practices and then drive by a place that is not even close to what it really looks like. Think globally act locally. I will add that I am not a vegetarian or a vegan as I am sure neither are most that are posting. But when I do purchase meat I spend the extra few dollars and purchase meat that is not raised in that fashion so I can support those farming practices and yes I did my research.

Independent observer Independent observer
Sep '19

Independent observer has never been to a ranch out west...thats obvious...I would suggest visiting a local dairy farm before commenting any further...they have to eat grass before they can be milked...there is so much clueless info in that post

Bug3
Sep '19

Thank you but that is untrue. I have driven across the USA 3 times and the shortest duration was 1 month. I stayed with cattle ranchers for a week on their ranch. They keep separate cattle for them selves away from what they sell. I suggest looking up commercial dairy farming practices. We are also not talking about local small level farming. There is not one farm in our area that could produce enough to feed warren county. But out west they can. Let us know about your visits please! Thank you for you informative info to everyone about someone you do not know.

Sep '19

"GRAZING AND HOUSING
The majority of dairy cows in the US are kept without access to pasture for most of their lives. This is known as “zero grazing,” and is practiced increasingly in large-scale operations in North America and parts of the UK.

In operations where they do not have access to pasture, cows are often housed in sheds. Some sheds have outdoor yards.

Intensive dairy farming results in an increasing number of welfare problems for dairy cows."

https://www.ciwf.com/farmed-animals/cows/dairy-cows/

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Sep '19

Bug, read it again. It’s the beef cows kept outside walking on their own Feces. You can tell Bc the next sentence he talks about milk cows remaining indoors.

Sep '19

Milk cows are only milked indoors....they are allowed outdoorsvto graze....beef cattle are always outside...they need water and grass to grow fat....take a ride down water street in independence and observe the cows

Bug3
Sep '19

Wow bug!! Again down the street is not commercial farming. Please research. Your living with blinders.

Sep '19

It’s different in the kind of factory farming Independent Observer is talking about:

https://www.aspca.org/animal-cruelty/farm-animal-welfare/animals-factory-farms

Sep '19

Out of sight, out of mind, right? As long as it's not happening here, it's not happening at all. Like those who need 20 pairs of shoes to feel good about themselves- but not thinking about the 9 year old girls making them in a 90 degree factory. As long as they go good with the outfit....

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Sep '19

Bug would say it’s their fault for being so good at sewing!!

Sorry bug just thought we should add a little humor.

Let me add that I buy my meats from places like the small farms that you are talking about. Bug, where do you buy your meats?

Sep '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.