Reliable Moving Company

Any ideas of a reliable moving company?

Thank You

Seby Martinez Seby Martinez
Apr '19

I used Vernay Movers from Netcong for a local move (6 miles). I was very pleased with their service. We actually moved in two stages a few weeks apart as we hadn't sold the old home and wanted to paint the new one. They do long distance as well I understand but I couldn't comment on that .

https://www.vernaymovingincnj.com/

Thank you BG

Apr '19

D&J is who I recommend!

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Apr '19

I second D & J. So great and local! Arrived on time, moved me and got everything set on the other side. Do yourself a favor... Make sure to call them.

Acl76 Acl76
Apr '19

Verney is the worst moving company ever we used them before and they damaged 4 of our bigger pieces of furniture and owner was very nasty and not very willing to help after we complained. Do yourself a favor and don’t use that sewage moving company....

D&J , the best by far, family owned , they take care of every detail, and there local!

Robert Robert
Apr '19

I used pods. Bought all the moving supplies needed for a 3 bedroom 2500sqft house move out. Saved $3k and did not damage my own stuff. You can also use pods and buy your own stuff for moving and they have contractors that will do all the heavy lifting which is still wayyy cheaper than moving companies. I got quotes from $4-5k. Those guys are making bank.

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Apr '19

I used Fast Moving Company in Hackettstown 4 years ago for a local move (10 miles). They were very flexible and understanding when there were delays with my closing date that caused some challenges with my move. The movers handled the furniture carefully, were careful with the hardwood floors at the house I moved into, and they were attentive to where I wanted my stuff. I did do my own packing and unpacking, so I can't speak to that.

Simonik in Bridgewater. They are under the Allied umbrella. We used them for a local move (Budd lake to Long Valley). Bruce Hartman was the guy we dealt with. His estimate, and he will tell you this, is the worst case scenario. We got almost $800 back within days of the move. Overall, our local move was around $1000, one trip filling one full size truck to the max. They were outstanding and the crew were all friendly and careful.

Keep in mind, the more you can move yourself and the more you pack yourself, the lower the cost. If they have to pack and wrap every little thing for you, that will add to the time and supplies. We took whatever would fit in our suv's in a few trips and wrapped our own mirrors and flat screen tvs and small appliances. If all they have to move is the big furniture and pre-packed boxes, you will save a bunch.

scott scott
Apr '19

Fast moving in Hackettstown is the best

whatever you do, don't use Dan The Affordable Moving Man. you will wake him up regardless of when you call him. He will yell at you and tell you all his rules. And he will refuse to give you an estimate unless you make a commitment.

if you scroll through reviews, you will see that most have had the same experience and hang up on him during the initial call.

scott scott
Apr '19

We used Cimply Labor for a local move. They were fantastic and reasonable.

117 State Route 35 S, Suites 6, 7, 8
Keyport, New Jersey
Call (732) 850-8905

cthy1213 cthy1213
Apr '19

Thank You everyone

Apr '19

I've used Fast Moving twice and they were great. Prices were very reasonable.

Rob Durana Rob Durana
Apr '19

I used D&J today. 2 bedrooms, $1160 if you box your own stuff. Very nice, quick, careful. Saved me from a meltdown :)

maja2 maja2
Apr '19

maja - Glad to hear it went well. What town did you relocate to?

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '19

Thanks Calico. Just a bit up the road. Glen Gardner.

maja2 maja2
Apr '19

Nice! The VFW in Glen Gardner has a pretty nice bar and cheap drinks! Not sure if they are open at noon though. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '19

Lol, why not noon!? Not much else around here :)

maja2 maja2
Apr '19

I used this company https://www.a1autotransport.com/new-jersey-moving/ coming from out of state -- I'm sure they can do local moves too for fairly cheap. I just went with them because they were the cheapest ones I could find at the time, but no problems moving 2BR of stuff from Penn.

Looking to have a sofa and loveseat moved from PV to Clayton, NorthCarolina - probably mid December............Any suggestions?

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '20

It will probably cost you more to professionally move the sofa and love seat than what they are worth...unless you can rent a uhaul or something

Bug3
Nov '20

4catmom

Unless the sofa and love seat are antiques, family heirlooms, or very expensive, Bug3 is very likely correct. You may be best off renting a van with an interior large enough to fit them both, unless you have other items to go with them, then a smaller van-based platform UHaul would likely be a good choice.

You want to go with something large enough to fit them both, but not so large that you rent a more expensive and unwieldy vehicle than you need to accomplish your move.

Can you tell us more? Are they items going to a relative's house or are you moving and just need to take them? You could rent the vehicle and have someone up here load it for you for a small fee, then drive it down yourself. That is, if that's something you'd be physically able to do. Failing that, someone from down there could travel up here by train, etc. then drive a rental van down there. It all depends on the circumstances of your move.

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '20

Phil,
We are gifting these to our daughter and her fiancee - sending to their new home...
We can't possibly do this ourselves - as we are - well what some would call "seniors"

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '20

D&J Moving out of Hackettstown, best hands down. true professionals!

4catmom

At 31 1/2 (or ahem, 63 chronologically), I know where you're coming from. My Mom & Dad just moved to SC (at age 89) with a little help from us siblings. Maybe they could come up here and drive a rental van back down with them? You could get a price from D & J as KWD suggests or someone else like "Two men and a truck" if they're up here and see which is more convenient and practical. If it wasn't such a crazy COVID world right now, I would offer to drive it down if you rented the van & I could get time off, since my family is pst the Raleigh area and is just over the border from Charlotte. Best of luck!

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '20

Pods... You'll save a ton of money. Just hire somebody to move everything into them if your not capable.

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Nov '20

How do you hire someone to take 2 sofas to N. Carolina? -- someone trustworthy

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '20

If you found a person willing to make the drive in a rental van from Enterprise for example it's a 9 hour or so drive to Fayetteville 550 miles-just to pick a mid point in the state. I would think with the rental fee under $100, fuel, tolls and one night stay you would be in the $350 range. In addition I would think another $300 or so for the driver.

I can't imagine any moving company or shipping service being much less than that.

You could place an ad here on HL classifieds perhaps. I would think there would be plenty of reliable folks willing to make the trip.

Or you could try this;

https://www.uship.com/

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Nov '20

" You could get a price from D & J as KWD suggests or someone else like "Two men and a truck" if they're up here and see which is more convenient and practical."

Or 2 women and a truck. Let's not be sexist, folks.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Nov '20

D & J doesn't go to N.C. but thanks...

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '20

Interesting site- uship. I did an estimate based on Hackettstown to Fayetteville at 250 pounds for two sofas and the average cost $444. High was $695. That does not add insurance coverage I believe. What is does is post your time frame and content essentially looking for bids. Various shipping companies make an offer with a price to deliver the load. I assume they group runs of items together along a certain route more or less. In the end you really don't know who you are getting it seems.

dodgebaal

Not being sexist, especially as I've known a fair number of women who could outwork/outlift many men. it's only because my brother used that particular service down on the NC/SC border, so I know they do good work. Funny thing is if you check their website:

https://twomenandatruck.com/

it looks as though it's trans women and a truck, maybe they didn't think that through when they set up the website, or they're just LGBTQ friendly??? Besides, I did say "or someone else like" them. "someone", aka, not assuming that it would be a male dominated service. You made that assumption, while I was only listing a service I knew of and that had been recommended;-) Perhaps they're an equal opportunity employer as they should be and you'd get a man and woman or two women;-) Perhaps they should be forced to change their name to "Two people and a truck" LMAO All in good fun, btw!

There are no "Two women and a truck" services that I know of other than an Atlanta-based one and a cleanout service in Ohio. I think that does leave the way open for some female entrepreneurs!

By the way, the closest "Two men and a truck" location is in Livingston and they have several of them in the Raleigh area.

P.S. I just checked further into the company. While her two sons started to move things with a pickup truck in High School, their MOM took over the business when they went to college. She bought an old moving truck and hired two movers. She awarded the first franchise to her Daughter(!) a year after she made running the business her full time job.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Ellen_Sheets

https://twomenandatruck.com/about-us/executive-profiles/mary-ellen-sheets

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '20

4catmom

https://twomenandatruck.com/long-distance-moving/expedited

You can have it either loaded, trucked and shipped by the same people direct to destination or you can use their Valueflex service, shown further down the page. With that, they load your items then carry them and put them on a long distance truck with other people's items, then it gets offloaded to a smaller delivery vehicle to go to the final destination. All their trucks have GPS, so you can track your stuff too.

After you see which service fits you best, check the right side of the header to get a quote or get a quote for both to compare. My Brother swears by them and he's hard to please.

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '20

We used ubox from uhaul recently and had a great experience. We did a lot of research and they were definitely the best option. They do have helpers available for a fee if you can not load or unload the box yourself.

abc123
Nov '20

thanks - will look into all - but we cannot load ourselves...

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '20

D & J phone number please

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Reliable Moving Company
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.