Urgent-Possible Scam

8:00 PM Wednesday
Just had a visit from two people (man and woman) representing the "Green Energy Company" stating that we had signed up with them and they wanted to check that every thing was ok...man had ID which stated he was not with JCPL or PSEG:
1. We have not signed up with or ever heard of "Green Energy"
2. He and his partner came into the home
3. She had no ID of any kind
Be careful!

Evergreen'69 Evergreen'69
Apr '19

You let them in your house!?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '19

Holy mackerel, you let them in?

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Apr '19

Whaaaaaat? You let them in?

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '19

Redundant reply, calico.
LOL

happiest girl
Apr '19

Thank god you’re still alive to write about it.

Positive Positive
Apr '19

You wonder why scams still work. That's why..

frank 1945 frank 1945
Apr '19

I saw them Tuesday afternoon on the porch of my neighbor, waiting for someone to answer. I told my daughter if the doorbell rings we are not answering it. They didn't come to my house.

Take photos and call the police dept.!

Hackresident Hackresident
Apr '19

Immediately call the police - let them find out if these people are allowed to be out there- protect a more naive neighbor..............
The scammers are out in full force- because it works enough to be worth their while - I get the calls/emails all the time - and report them - almost clicked a phony link because it looked so real----------
So again - be smart and protect those who may fall for these scams -

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '19

What? You let them in your house?!
Just kidding... I saw the previous posts. In defense of the OP, some people have had different exposure to different life experiences. Some people are extra kind. Some, extra trusting, depending on age, education, and general exposure/experience with scams. I always welcome a “heads up”, to anything concerning. Who knows what everyone else knows, so thank you, Evergreen for the warning.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Apr '19

Re: Urgent-Possible Scam

Also, not sure if this is related, but I found a piece of masking tape on my car windshield (top corner) the next morning. Nothing attached. Just stuck on pretty good. I thought it was very strange and bothered me a bit. Was it a way of someone marking my car for some reason? I have no idea, but I thought I'd mention it incase it has happened to someone else.

Sue...thank you. That’s something I wouldn’t have noticed. See? We all can’t know everything, right?
Looks like they scoped out your home or car. That’s a reason for concern. Maybe folks who have tight security or locks get the tape, to alert their cohorts. Just a guess.

Apr '19

I had a message on my house phone yesterday, from "the electric company" telling me to call them with my bill and check in hand, to verify I paid it. I never speak to caller unless I recognize their # first. Always goes to message. May be a related scam.

justwondering justwondering
Apr '19

Never ever let anyone in your house who you do not know !!!

Bobbob Bobbob
Apr '19

Update...did call the police and they were aware of this particular couple...they were seen along Mountain Avenue...the police were going to speak with them and at least let them know they could not solicit without a permit and determine if anything else needed to be done...
As for letting them into my house...the family member who answered the door certainly should have stopped them but did not...when the family member left them to get me they stepped into the foyer...I asked them to leave which they did.
Be aware.

Evergreen'69 Evergreen'69
Apr '19

oh for the good old days - unlocked doors - kids out playing till dinner time -
playing in dirt was a good thing, fireflies were exciting, neighbors knew neighbors --

how far we've come - or fallen

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '19

I urge everyone to be vigilant for any and all possible scams. I have witnessed too many people fall victim to these in recent weeks. They prey after those 65+ because they know it's an easier demographic to take advantage of.

PLEASE be wary of any caller who requests ANY personal information. If they ask for any form of payment, bank account info, SS info.. HANG UP!!!!!!!
If they want you to buy visa gift cards, transfer money, etc.... HANG UP!
I know a man who received a phone call stating he would get a special deal from United Airlines if he sent the company a $500 visa gift card... come on man! How are you not immediately skeptical?

HarmonySun HarmonySun
Apr '19

I know an older woman, 80 years old, who got a phone call from "her nephew" who said t hat he is jailed and that he needed her to wire about $10,000 to him to get him out of jail......she did, but realized about an hour later after making phone calls to her daughter, that the nephew was not in jail! I think her money was not lost.

how these scammers put a fake phone number on the Caller ID that has been "disconnected" when you ring it back.

Hackresident Hackresident
Apr '19

I had a visit from a woman who said the same thing. When she asked to see my energy bill I said NO and went in the house, locked the door and called the police. I saw them fly by a few minutes later but she had gone. She appeared on my street about 45 minutes later so I called the police again. The dispatcher said they had a conversation with her and all necessary documents were in order and "if you don't want to talk to her you can choose not to answer the door".

shopperchopper shopperchopper
Apr '19

The easiest thing to do is screen ALL calls, that show up as an unfamiliar number. Answering them just makes them call more and resell your phone number. If you answer a scam call, it goes into a pool, telling the rest of the world...”Hey! There’s a REAL person and they answer!”
If a concerning call arises, and you’re not familiar, ask a friend, neighbor or relative for a second opinion regarding the number and message. Remember...Google is your friend.

Apr '19

Some calls are obviously telemarketers. But with the ability to spoof numbers and they come up as an unknown but local number, I'm afraid not to answer. There's always the possibility of a friend or family member who needs help and borrows a stranger's phone to make the call to get help. That happened to me when I was locked out of my car with my phone inside. A kind gentleman allowed me to use his phone. Thankfully my call was answered and help came.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Apr '19

I look at this way,.if a friend or family member calls using an unknown number and I don’t answer they will leave a voicemail or send a text.

Positive Positive
Apr '19

Parental Unit, very good points. I think we’re talking cell vs landline. With landline calls, I listen to the message, live. If they leave a message, I can tell if it’s real or not, like when you called to get unlocked. The person who answered your call was home or you called their cell...now that’s a different story, as far as I know you can’t screen live messages, unless on speaker, which most don’t leave on.
FYI..everyone from Apple to Zenith, is frothing at the mouth, to get my cell number. Each cell number generates thousands of dollars for the companies who resell it, over and over. Not giving it up prevents me from Facebook and other sites, though. I’m so afraid of the information that’s readily free on the internet. Your address, age, relatives and a satellite view of your home...all free...just from plugging in a phone number. I’ve had most of my information redacted from those sites. Took me hours. There’s only 4 people in the world, that have my cell number. Glad you were helped by some nice folks:)

Apr '19

Here’s an example of what I did recently. My elderly neighbor’s landline service wasn’t working, service electric told her she’d have to wait until the end of the week (5 days without a phone) for a tech to come over. In the meantime, I lent her my flip phone and proceeded to call my contacts from a temp phone I was using. They didn’t recognize the number so they let my calls go into voicemail. The point is, it only took a minute for the people I called to listen to my messages and to call me back right away.

Positive Positive
Apr '19

I agree with you regarding leaving a voice mail, but if it's an urgent emergency, the person may just go on to another contact without leaving a voice mail. I would feel terrible if I was there and just chose to not answer. Technology is wonderful except when it's used for evil.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Apr '19

Please pass the word, especially for seniors NOT to let these people into your home without making sure they are really who they say they are. Hackettstown police told me yesterday that all adult solicitors must have a township issued permit which they must show you if you ask. Write down the permit number, have them wait OUTSIDE, call the police department and verify that it is a valid, current permit. Then if you want to let them in you can. There are way too many trusting seniors and too many people out there willing to take advantage of them.

This senior doesn't need anything (except the girl scout cookies my neighbor sells) from door to door sales people- would never --- nor do I answer the spam calls and fake emails that arrive on an almost daily basis - I do report whatever I can.............
I wonder what percentage of people who ring doorbells actually have permits - bet it's very very few

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '19

Picking up on the Electric company scam Jan 18/19, 2022, guy came to my door and of course wanted to see my electric bill. High Street, area Tue or Wed this past week. incidentally on the day of/after I received my bill. Just an FYI to be aware and definitely not to let anyone into your house.

john m john m
Jan '22

Probably a canvasser for a rooftop solar company. They need to know if you use enough kWh to make it worthwhile

ianimal ianimal
Jan '22

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Urgent-Possible Scam
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.