Dogs without leashes in the park

Dogs without leashes in the park

Why do people think it’s ojay to walk their dog on the park without a leash? This woman’s dog ran out in front of me and she gets all upset. I told her to put a leash on it’s the law, and she told me whatever..... how is this okay?

You know, I watch the deer, the groundhogs, the two white swans in this park, the foxes, the bears and then there’s people like this who could care less about it!

"You know, I watch the deer, the groundhogs, the two white swans in this park, the foxes, the bears and then there’s people like this who could care less about it!"

Huh? What?

Ha ha Josh. I think Nj is talking about wildlife being disturbed by unleashed dogs. Just a guess.

Positive Positive
Apr '19

"You know, I watch the deer, the groundhogs, the two white swans in this park, the foxes, the bears and then there’s people like this who could care less about it!"

Calico translation:

I would hate to see an unleashed dog disturb, or possibly injure or kill, some of the beautiful non-domestic animals I enjoy seeing at the park.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '19

What about the ducks- just think of the ducks!!

Duck lives matter!!

Screw the average person, and a dog. We need to think about the occasional bear, groundhog, swan, fox...

Reality- a park is designed for people doing all sorts of activities. It is NOT a nature preserve. It is NOT a zoo.

The wildlife would run away from a frisbee. Should we bitch about that as well?

Dogs should be on leashes in a park to protect other people who may not like dogs, or from being bitten or slobbered on. That's it. The animal viewing complaint reeks of modern society idiocy.

Just left field of dreams , two dogs running loose for over an hour, which means the redt of us can't walk our dogs!
I thought that field of dreams was patrolled, I never see cops over there, and I go at different times? They should be giving out fines!

Robert Robert
Apr '19

1) leash your dogs. It's the law.

2) I carry pepper spray, if your dog rushes me or my dog, they will be sprayed. Blame yourself.

3) If it goes beyond that, I will use asymmetric force to protect my dog.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Apr '19

I too have noticed this. I have a big, friendly dog that I walk at the local parks all the time on a retractable leash. When I come close to another dog or family or fellow park go-er I shorten my buddies leash out of respect and because I do not know the nature of the other dogs there. If my buddy sees another dog just running freely off leash he thinks he is at a dog park and sometimes tries to pull me just in wanting to go be free and play as well. He is wonderful on his leash, but could pull me with such force that I could fly like superwoman and get hurt myself. Not cool. I do not know what could be done about this... but dog parks are really the place to let dogs run free. To do so at the walking parks or non dog parks is just not considerate of those who try to keep it safe.

Sunshine Girl Sunshine Girl
Apr '19

Re: Dogs without leashes in the park

The one guy walks 3 dogs of leash and lets them jump in the water. I complained before and nothing gets done. I was knocked over by a lab once down there while running. He came up behind me with the owner yelling he's a nice dog.

There are wonderful dog parks in this area to feel safe in letting dogs run free and just be dogs. The one in Sussex even has a place beyond its back gate to allow dogs to freely swim. There is one in Blairstown, Turkey Brook Park, Califon, Morristown... all local. Dogs may be nice but if everyone followed this growing trend to just let them run freely at just any park... many law suits are gonna fly because avoidable mistakes are going to happen.

Sunshine Girl Sunshine Girl
Apr '19

CJ
He only has one dog now. Your picture is quite old.

Walking Girl Walking Girl
Apr '19

Walking girl, taken last summer. Found another place to run.

It’s just disappointing. A blatant disregard for the rules if not the laws,.. the woman I came across got so angry with me when her dog ran in front of my car, leashless. I told her to put the leash on her dog or is call the cops and she told me whatever. It’s just not right. People are eagerly watching the white swans in the fish Hatchery park possibly going to hatch geese and it’s like a joke.

I keep my dogs on a leash all the time at parks. My one dog does fine with other dogs while she is off leash but when she is on a leash she does not like other dogs. So, if I see other dogs coming I shorten her leash and I go off to the side of the trail so the other people safely pass. I was at a park once with my dogs on a leash. Some lady opens her car door and turns her dog loose in the field. Her dog made a bee line to my dog and she stood there and did nothing. I blocked her dog and yelled at her to leash her dog. I explained that my dog doesn’t like other dogs and she needs to leash her dog or she’s going to cause a dog fight. She said “My dog would never do that!” I said “Well my dog will, that’s why there are leash laws.” Later on when she left the park she dove past us and her young daughter yelled out the window “See you later, losers!”. Some people....

Jesse132 Jesse132
Apr '19

One of the worst problems in this area - thanks to all commenters for being aware and dealing with these offenders!

kepa
Apr '19

“You know, I watch the deer, the groundhogs, the two white swans in this park, the foxes, the bears and then there’s people like this who could care less about it!”
G.R.’s translation:

They don’t care about looking at wild critters. So....whoever wins, wins! Let us know, what you meant, Nj. Josh is responsible for the prizes. :-)

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Apr '19

The dogs off the leash and their poops is the real issues. There’s many times when walking at the park off Seber where you have to side step around a load of crap on the walking path. How difficult is it to pick up your dogs mess!? If they don’t pick it up out in public, I can only image what their own yard looks like!

Parkwalking
Apr '19

People don’t pick up poop from leashed dogs either. This is an issue as it pertains to dog behavior. One dog leashed and the other not leashed can be a recipe for a dog fight, especially for the leashed dog.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '19

I called the cops and they never came when I saw a man walking two big dogs off the leash. It's a shame because I had my children and dogs with me (on leash of course). It's an uncomfortable feeling because you never know what can happen. My uneasiness always puts my dogs on edge since they want to protect their pack.

MommyNJ4 MommyNJ4
Apr '19

Maybe we need a dog park. That may solve the problem. We can’t the park be used for everyone’s enjoyment.

Earnhardt Earnhardt
Apr '19

love the bagged poop left sitting on the ground - sure to keep it from biodegrading - while foul all by itself - what is the point? I MEAN WHAT IS THE POINT?
that is all

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '19

Here is thread that also discusses the off leas issue at Alumni.

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/617075#t617386

MommyNJ4- I called the police when at Alumni I encountered a person with a dog off leash who threatened both me and my wife with violence when I asked him to leash his dog. I still have the video of the entire episode. Essentially the officer stated they often have more pressing issues to deal with.

4catmom. We have on occasion left a bag at a spot to the side of the trail for 10 or 15 minutes that we would be passing on the way back out of the park on the way to the car. We ALWAYS retrieve it of course. I can't speak for others though.

The problem with dog parks is, ALL the dogs are off-leash, and the owners are busy socializing with each other over coffees as their dogs (could be) creating trouble.

I won't take my dog to a dog park, too easy for a fight to ensue, and injuries to occur. And the owner's yelling doesn't do anything, and no one is close enough to the dog pack to prevent it.

Leashed is the best solution.

And yes- dog owners: PICK UP YOUR POOP, don't leave poop or bags lying there! You will ruin it for everyone else, you a-holes!

Apr '19

Greg, that's not an acceptable response from the police. This is not Newark, where even a relatively minor motor vehicle accident is often not important enough for police to respond to. It's rural Warren County. Someone should be able to assist.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '19

I have all but given up. I just go to the park walk my dogs, ON LEASH, pick up their poop and go home. Sometimes I even pick up the trash left behind by slobs who don't care because I DO care.

I am disgusted by the amounts of dog poop left on the side of the paths, in the middle of paths, everywhere. The arrogance of some people who just decide to leave it is amazing and will ruin it for everyone soon enough.

I cannot stand those who let their dogs wander OFF LEASH. It makes for an unpleasant walk for me personally. I've tried to let some of them know it's not ok but these folks are also arrogant and quite frankly scare me a little bit as they have the weapon of this unleashed dog who could change a nice walk to an unpleasant encounter in an instant. So I now carry with me a dog airhorn w/spray.

I will say there are some people who at least try to walk far away from others with their dog off leash and are really good about leashing them up if someone comes near. That's great that their dog listens, until they DON'T. You cannot guarantee that YOUR dog will always listen. There is no guarantee for that.

I can, however, GUARANTEE that if an unleashed dog comes up to me and my dogs that dog will get hurt as will I and that is not the what I wish to have happen.

Walking Girl Walking Girl
Apr '19

I walk my dog everyday in River Bank Park and we love it! I have also come across people who think they are above the law and let their dog off leash. Once I asked the couple nicely to please put the dog on a leash and they ignored me and said they could not hear me. I took out my cell phone and yelled to them that I was calling the police. They immediately turned around got in there car and drove off. I tried to get the license plate but was unsuccessful. A few minutes later two police cars arrived at the park and I told them about the dog being off leash. They were very understanding and helpful and actually caught someone else letting their dog off leash and went over to them to advise that dogs must always be on a leash in this park!

Juno
Apr '19

Never heard of River Bank Park, where is that?

auntiel auntiel
Apr '19

This is such an ongoing problem.

Everyone seems united in that dogs should be on a leash.

So why is it just dismissed/ignored by authorities? It’s the law and should be enforced.

Really??? Really???
Apr '19

auntiel-I believe Juno means Riverfront Park.

I also have called the police regarding the inconsiderate jerks that have dogs off leash. I have spoken to them personally and called the police. My comment to the police was that there is a nj leash law, town ordinance AND in the bylaws in our condo complex....choose one. The guy even purposely kept his dog off the leash right in front of the police. The cops were useless. Told us to just stay away from each other. This past weekend there were SEVEN dogs without leashes in my neighborhood. REALLY??!! It only takes one jerk for others to follow. I'm so tired of this!

Just Saying.... Just Saying....
Apr '19

If your condo development is private, municipal leash laws likely wouldnt apply any more than they would in someone's back yard. Your best bet might be to file a complaint with your HOA.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '19

I spoke to the Hackettstown’s police down at the station and they could of cared less.... I’m really tired of it. I even had a women tell me she was gonna turn her dogs on me and the cops just shrugged

A new proposed ordinance amending the penalties for violating the "Control Of Dogs" existing ordinance.

https://www.hackettstown.net/home/news/proposed-ordinance-2019-11

Perhaps if a few of the folks that seem to habitually ignore the leash law here in town get hit harder in the wallet they may learn to comply.

I called the park police on a guy in June who refused to leash his dog. A woman came up to me as I was finishing my run and getting into my car. She asked if that was my black dog that was following her. I said no and looked for the culprit. The guy was NOT happy. Told me I should be a cop if I want to e force laws. Pulled out my cell phone, called the NJ State Park Police and they came and issued him a citation. Sweeeeeet.

Consigliere
Sep '19

Where exactly were you and how did you call NJ State Park Police? Used to see a State Park cop once in awhile over by Stephens but rarely. For a Hackettstown park issue, if you try to call H'town police on 852-3300 you still get the county call center (depending on time of day I guess) and if you call 911, they'd probably just tell you it's not an emergency to complain about a dog in a park. I carry a pepper spray - maybe for an aggressive owner if he threatened me too.

OldSam
Oct '19

I got in my car, pulled out my phone, googled “NJ state park police” then called the number and spoke to a dispatcher. There was an officer there within 30-45 minutes.

Consigliere
Oct '19

Re: Dogs without leashes in the park

Just in case...

Oct '19

Maybe we need a dog park down at alumni field .

Chocolatedogdad Chocolatedogdad
Nov '19

We already have a wonderful dog friendly area at Alumni / Riverfront. What we need is people to obey the leash laws and be responsible. Simple.

Clearly it's an issue as it drove the town council to adopt a new ordinance increasing penalties for people who habitually break the law by have their dog off leash.

It is my hope these scoff laws get hammered with fines. Maybe they will learn.

https://www.hackettstown.net/home/news/proposed-ordinance-2019-11

I think it's becoming a point of the police actually enforcing the law. If the law was actually enforced we wouldn't have these issues. At least not as frequently....money talks...if fines keep rising and people could lose their pets they might think twice.

I read several posts where the police never showed up or the people just didn't care and the police didn't enforce the law. It needs to be enforced for it to be effective.

I hope it works because no one should feel unsafe because people don't give a crap.

MommyNJ4 MommyNJ4
Nov '19

Hope this link works for previous post:

https://www.njherald.com/news/20191108/hackettstown-man-injured-breaking-up-dog-fight

pic, thanks for the article.
Reading that article, I find it ridicules the owner was not cited for an unleased dog as a man was bit due to the lack of a leash. What a bunch of BS.

...and if you ask someone to leash their dog they:

don't, insisting he's friendly,

hold the collar until you are 3 feet past and then they let it go again.

All of the above accompanied with major attitude.

Really??? Really???
Nov '19

Was there late afternoon yesterday - saw the swan (pix coming)-saw dogs all leashed - and as we were leaving -after 5- and it was getting quite dark, we heard a dog crying -sounded injured or trapped or something equally awful - we tried to follow the sound in the dark - from the old ponds in the direction of "doctors" park - met up with a woman walking two small dogs - and she was headed toward the sound to see what was going on - at which point - without flashlights - and when we could hear other voices in the distance - we headed to the car...................sure hoping that dog is okay ...........it was frightening - and no it was not a fox or coyote........

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '19

Wow. I hope all ended well for the critter.

I heard that same animal about a week ago .I think it's a coywolf

janster janster
Nov '19

Listened online to coywolf cries - did not sound the same..............terribly disturbing sounds- I hope it has been helped

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.