Unleashed dogs at Alumni Field

What gives....can anyone read the signs? Dogs must be leashed. I must have seen at least 6 dogs unleashed within my hour walk there thru the paths. LEASH YOUR DOGS!

Animal Control Animal Control
Jun '14

Who let the dogs out? Who? Who? Who? Who?

Who let the dogs out?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '14

Who cares? If the dogs are behaving and trained it shouldn't matter. I fish there all the time and actually like watching the dogs run in the water to cool off. As long as it's not where I'm casting!

NJ Fisher
Jun '14

When cats have to be leashed then we'll talk...

headso
Jun '14

Now we know the answer on why there are so many lost dogs. Moronic owners.

Philliesman Philliesman
Jun '14

I agree that dogs need to be restrained even on their own property either with a fence or tie out. The other day I was out running on a busy county road. There was a woman in her yard with an unrestrained dog. The dog came barreling out of the yard to chase after me and the next thing I knew it was in the middle of the road.

I could have been bitten and the dog could have been struck by a car. Good thing it was early and there weren't many cars going by.

The woman yelled at the dog saying "you've lost your privileges" you know not to go into the road" then she put the dog in the house. Uh, I guess he/she doesn't know not to go into the road and obviously privileges meant being out unrestrained.

So you never really know what an animal will do in any particular circumstance, even if they've never done it before.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '14

ITS THE LAW!!................................what's the problem with putting a leash on the dog.

Christine Christine
Jun '14

Too true Calico696, there are leads long enough to let your dog have some extra freedom but still have control. Your dog may not be the issue, it may be another, you never know how they will react to each other at first. I get nervous when some are unrestrained because of this, my dog is the friendliest out there but we have actually had dogs come at us agressively, and at least with him leashed I have some control to avoid confrontion. It is simply common courtesy when in public areas. Alot of people are afraid of dogs also, and shouldn't have to worry about unrestrained dogs while they are enjoying pubic areas.

wendola wendola
Jun '14

As long as they clean up the poop, it shouldnt matter. JMO

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jun '14

From what I see lately , dog owners do not care and believe it's their right to break laws

A law is a law

It's similar to us living in a private community where dog owners do not clean up after their dogs and let them do their thing on other people's lawn

So many brown spots on our lawns due to lazy dog owners. We have plenty if common wooded areas but many folks chose to ruin our properties

I love dogs but now cringe every time I see one being walked.

Dog owners, we all know that your pet is the most wonderful creature , but please be considerate to other humans

Hack in town Hack in town
Jun '14

++++Animal Control. Can't tell you how many times unleashed dogs have come up to my leashed dog in that park and I have had words with the owners. The law is the law. Leash your dog and pick up their poop. I don't care if their dog is friendly. I do not want to expose my dog to their dog.

Nancy Nancy
Jun '14

I agree - not only is it a law but should be common sense. It is for the animals own safety and the safety of others that they be leashed. do we not recall the MOS involved dog shooting in independence last year?

skippy skippy
Jun '14

BBY so if one of those dogs came up to you and bit you or one of your children you wouldn't have a problem with it? There are many children afraid of dogs just because they jump on them and knock them down. 2 yrs olds so not know any better.

You want your dog to run free get a fence for your own yard or go to a designated dog park not a public park where there are children and people who can get hurt.

ITS THGE LAW! Maybe someone should call the authorities when they see them running free. Maybe a ticket would cure it.

Christine Christine
Jun '14

It's also a safety issue for the unleashed dog. They may be friendly and playful, but if they run up to the wrong dog and/or a leashed dog, there could be a fight. Since the law is dogs must be leashed, guess which owner will be responsible for vet bills on both sides. A leashed dog, approached by an unleashed can feel cornered and threatened even if both dogs are considered friendly.

Calico, I don't run, but I have had that happen while walking alone or with my dog. You're lucky, you could have been hit by a car if it swerved because of the dog. Even if I'm walking alone, I really don't want to play with a strange dog or have their snot all over me because they want to check me out.

Lynnada Lynnada
Jun '14

Carry pepper spray. Use as needed.

A good day
Jun '14

NJ leash law people!!!!!!!!! My son was attacked by someone who let their “nice dog” (golden retriever) off a leash… My son was 2 years old when this happened he is now 4 years old and scared to death of any dog… It’s an animal they have unpredictable behavior just like humans……. Keep your dogs on a leash…. Save everyone the hassle!!!!!!

Kimmy Kimmy
Jun '14

Law or not, it's just common sense - I love my dog, he's a big mush, but I would not let him free to "happily greet" anyone that came by - he could easily knock over a little one or startle anyone who didn't know that the big lug just wanted to kiss him into submission... not everyone loves dogs - I would have been very upset if a big dog accidentally knocked over my kid when he was little - just makes sense people - inconsiderate to put others needs over your own (or your pets)... p.s. my dog LOVES to run free - at the DOG PARK!!!

pmnsk pmnsk
Jun '14

This topic has come up so many times about whether it is right or wrong to have your dog unleashed in public. The answer should be simple since it's the law, but apparently there are many who do not think that applies to them.

I already know YOUR dog is friendly, he is not a dog unless he is allowed to roam free wherever he would like, he loves other dogs, he listens and is trained better than any other dog etc...

If they have that mindset with their pets, I'm guessing they are the same ones with the unruly children.

I run daily from alumni to doctors park and back. I could not begin to tell you how many people let their dogs run free. They walk Nicely beside them but when a runner or a bicyclist comes into the picture they make a bee line for them. I am sick of it too. A 60lb chocolate lab got me from behind once and the owner was yelling she only wants to play. Never again. If another unleashed dog there touches me with out my consent I am calling and having the owner ticketed.

Actually, even though they are sold, leashes longer than 6' are not legal to use out in public under most leash laws. I have seen a leash law on the books for cats as well. I just wish I could remember which community it was. No matter how well trained the dog (though very rarely a Seeing Eye or Police K-9 Unit) circumstances happen that make the dog's "Fight or Flight" or Hunting or Curious nature take precedence over their training.

Most will say, "It would never happen with MY dog", but sadly at times it does.

Better safe than sorry. After my dog panicked within a week of me adopting him, due to a loud truck he escaped from my poop-bag and flashlight carrying hands and was lost! He hid within a one block area that night while I and friends spent a good deal of what became a wet night searching for him. From then on, the loop end of his 6' leash is carabinered to my belt so he'll go nowhere without me!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '14

Owners of dogs off leash at public parks should be ticketed.

Not everyone likes your "friendly" dog.

need a drink
Jun '14

Phil D, I don't know about a leash law for cats, but it is the law that they are to be kept on their own property.

4paws 4paws
Jun '14

well this weekend at alumni filed is the blast soccer tournement, and in the rules for the tourney it states:

' all dogs must be kept at least 40 yards away from the soccer fields. '

this means you guys with your wild unleashed dogs,

not everyone loves YOUR dog, so keep them away from the fields of play and keep them leashed.

i cannot tell you how many times i have had problems with soccer fans who bring their dogs right to the edge of field and keep them there and not think that anything bad can happen, when asked to move them off the touch line, the response usually is "Why?, My dog is ok, what's YOUR problem?"

i have refused to start games when fans won't move their dogs back from the sidelines.

just don't bring dogs to soccer games, it's not a good idea

smh x 2

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '14

Next dog unleashed I come across I'm pepper spraying the owner!

Pepper Pepper
Jun '14

Gonna bring my horse to a game..any laws against that?

pampurr pampurr
Jun '14

yes, why do you ask? do you not like the rule?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '14

Where is it written on the books "No Horses Allowed."? Huh Brother? My horse is white BTW...LMAO

pampurr pampurr
Jun '14

you ride your horse at alumni field?

it's written into the soccer law book by the phrase "interference with the match by outside agents"

if/when you want to be serious, let me know.

btw, pampurr, if you interfere with the match, you will be ejected from the sidelines as well,

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '14

really? you have to be told not to interfere with a soccer game? with kids running around? really? some folks need to grow up

pmnsk pmnsk
Jun '14

Get someone like "Judge Judy" over there....

You would be better off gettin pepper sprayed, than having her bust your @$$ for breaking the law!

Those that unleash their dog in a public area, and talk smart about it. I would love to see them do that if a police patrol were watching in the vacinity.
They are the kind of people that Bark Loudly, and xxit close to their house.
Guaranteed they wouldn't unleash their Animal.....

Embryodad Embryodad
Jun '14

I am so scared...big bad Brother Dog...omg..your to funny..lmao

pampurr pampurr
Jun '14

No one wants your dog charging at them/jumping/licking/drooling/sniffing/barking...

Really?
Jun '14

goading, sarcasm, taunting.. what is this middle school? all over a request to not interfere with other's activities and to be considerate of those around you.

pmnsk pmnsk
Jun '14

Damn, somebody unleashed BrotherDog :>)

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Jun '14

I guess it's "Don't tread on me or my dog". LOL!

Redwing
Jun '14

Arg, don't get me started on this subject, lol. I take my shitzu there a lot and have had dogs run towards him so fast I think I've seen flames come off their paws! My dog has never bitten another dog but that doesn't mean he won't. It's an annoyance to to others and it's dangerous!!

Smack Smack
Jul '14

CJ! Please do call, the next time it happens to me, you bet your bum I'm going to call the police.

Smack Smack
Jul '14

"it's the law" ... where exactly is that law stated? sometimes, people think there are laws, but there really aren't.

ken e
Jul '14

Here's a prior thread on the subject...

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/320750

Lynnada Lynnada
Jul '14

Really Ken e?

Dogs:
Ordinance 6-10 Control of Dogs
(a) No person shall suffer any dog, licensed or unlicensed, to run at large upon any of the streets or public places of the Town or upon the property of any other person.
(b) No person owning, harboring, keeping, walking or in charge of any dog shall cause, suffer, permit or allow such dog to soil, defile, defecate on, or commit any nuisance on any common thoroughfare, street, sidewalk, passageway, road, bypath, play area, park, or any place where people congregate or walk in this Town, or upon any public property whatsoever, or upon any private property without the permission of the owner of the private property in the last instance. If any such person shall permit such dog to soil, defile, defecate on, or commit any nuisance on the areas aforesaid, he or she shall immediately remove all feces and droppings deposited by such dog, which removal shall be in a sanitary manner by shovel, container, disposal bag, etc. and said feces and droppings shall be removed by said person from the aforesaid designated areas and disposed of by said person in a sanitary manner.

Christine Christine
Jul '14

I am amazed at how rediculous it is for anyone to defend the position of letting dogs run free.

Suck it up people, do what is right. Even though your precious pooch may be the friendliest creature on earth, maybe people just don't want to deal with drool or being knocked into or jumped on

Let's grow up

Jul '14

These are the same people will complain when you are forced to pepper spray their loose dogs that act hostile to you.

TM

Troublemaker Troublemaker
Jul '14

New York woman, 58, dies in ‘freak accident’ chasing her dog underneath sanitation truck

A Chelsea dog owner suffered a gruesome Wednesday morning death when she was crushed beneath a city sanitation truck while chasing her beloved runaway pooch, authorities said.

Jackie Haeflinger, 58, died beneath the 20-ton vehicle around 10 a.m. as she took her adorable dog for their daily walk along W. 15th St., according to cops and eyewitnesses.

The Boston terrier, named Violet, broke loose to chase another dog and bolted beneath the idling truck — with Haeflinger giving chase and stooping to grab the pet from beneath the hulking vehicle’s back end, witnesses said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/woman-dies-hit-truck-chelsea-article-1.1852008

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jul '14

Last time I saw an unleashed dog there, it was eating a squirrel.

LeRoy Grimace LeRoy Grimace
Jul '14

I also believe it is in the best interest safety wise for the dogs. Poor dogs rely on their humans to care for them

Eating a squirrel has to be dangerous as well as just plain cruel

Jul '14

It seemed to me the owner was quite encouraging of the dog hunting and eating the small woodland creature.

LeRoy Grimace LeRoy Grimace
Jul '14

Christine - I stand corrected. I couldn't find it on the web through searches.

ken e
Jul '14

Waiting on Christine to post were it says no horses allowed. Well Christine!

pampurr pampurr
Jul '14

"Waiting on Christine to post were it says no horses allowed. Well Christine!"

Common sense is a virtue not all possess.

ignatz ignatz
Jul '14

They used to have a lot of town ordinances posted on the Hackettstown Town Website but since they upgraded it, I can not find it. It also has the laws about cats too. And don't forget that you may not be in possession or to be consuming a beverage while at the Gazebo on the corner of Main and Moore Streets. I kid you not that there is something about that in the town code.

well put, ignatz

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '14

++ ignatz

pmnsk pmnsk
Jul '14

CJ- All of the town ordinances are now listed on the Hackettstown Bid website. Click the "documents" tab.

http://www.hackettstownbid.com/

I would not put everything that I have worked for, house , car, savings, on the line because I TRUST that my dog is not going to bite you or your child. I love my dog enough to leave him safe and secure in HIS backyard. I am not afraid of your dog.But,if he bites me I will cry all the way to the BANK

meadows oldtimer
Jul '14

Thanks Greg. Who would think to look there?

I was enjoying a walk at Doctors Park with my little dog who is such a love and usually likes other dogs but sometimes feels threatened. A boxer came charging towards us and my mom started yelling "whose dog?!" no one was paying attention and she had to yell it like 4 times. By this time, I had picked up my dog and was holding him to protect him when the owner said "oh she's friendly" and stayed sitting at the bench! I then said "well my dog doesn't like all others dogs" which is when she came WALKING over to get her dog. I'm sorry, do you not see me struggling to hold my dog as he squirms and barks and I try to walk away from your unleashed dog?! I don't care if your dog is well behaved and likes other dogs... What if mine isn't friendly and doesn't like other dogs?! People are selfish and irresponsible and if your dog isn't leashed it's just an accident waiting to happen.

pmnsk... FYI can ride my horse anywhere..no ordinance for that cupcake..that goes for your buddy too.

pampurr pampurr
Jul '14

Ignatz...that goes for you too..I can ride my horse anywhere in Hackettstown.

pampurr pampurr
Jul '14

'Common Sense' as per your 'on' target post Ignatz, plus Care and Concern for you Neighbors, Good Upbringing, Responsibility, Not making ridiculous comments, and so many other things seem to be lacking by some HL Posters. I post rarely but check HL once a day for important things that responsible helpful people post such as problems on Rt. 80 and similar helpful subjects. When the moderators take down a ridiculous or hate mongering or very nasty or unfounded rumor which could be hurtful/harmful ... you get the idea types of posts ... I applaud the moderator and say now Thank You!

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Jul '14

Just so you know - if the park is posted with a "Domestic Animals Prohibited in this Area", then as per Hackettstown code:

"ARTICLE 2. CONDUCT IN PUBLIC PARKS AND RECREATION AREAS
9-25.
Prohibited Conduct.
No person in a public park and recreation area shall:

(27) Be responsible for the entry of a dog or other domestic animal into areas clearly marked by the Recreation Commission by signs bearing the words, "Domestic Animals Prohibited in this Area". Nothing herein shall be construed as permitting the running of dogs at large. All dogs in those areas where such animals are permitted shall be restrained at all times on adequate leashes not greater
than six (6) feet in length."

Horses are (under most definitions) considered "Domestic" animals, as are your pet goat, rabbit, iguana, etc.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '14

Pam get off your high horse. Both literal and figuratively

Darwin Darwin
Jul '14

"Ignatz...that goes for you too..I can ride my horse anywhere in Hackettstown."

I don't know if you are a grownup or not, but I'm glad your not my neighbor.

ignatz ignatz
Jul '14

Who's Pam

Bessie Bessie
Jul '14

Guessing pampurr. Lol

Jul '14

++ ignatz, clearly not a "grown up" regardless of age....

pmnsk pmnsk
Jul '14

CJ- I thought that too!!

A while back I had called the municipal building to inquire if the ordinances would be added to the new town website. At that time I was told there were no immediate plans to add them however perhaps in the future they would be. I just happened to be checking out the bid website one day and found them. I let the folks at the municipal building know as so they could direct any future inquiries regarding the ordinances there.

I always have my dog leashed and although he is friendly, there is nothing worse than an unleashed dog running up to us. You can never fully predict an animals behavior.

With that said, my fully leashed sweetie comes with me to all of my son's baseball games. We are behind the fence and he lies next to me the whole game. He does not get in the way and the only interaction he has is when people ask to pet him. Which he loves. I see nothing wrong with bringing your dog to outside events so long as he is restrained, picked up after, and not left to bother other people.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Jul '14

Jazzykatt - Are you talking about bringing your dog to public park that has been marked as a no pet area? Or a school that also has a no pet policy?

In Hackettstown -

"ARTICLE 2. CONDUCT IN PUBLIC PARKS AND RECREATION AREAS
9-25.
Prohibited Conduct.
No person in a public park and recreation area shall:

(27) Be responsible for the entry of a dog or other domestic animal into areas clearly marked by the Recreation Commission by signs bearing the words, "Domestic Animals Prohibited in this Area".

I have not seen 1 sign in any Hackettstowns parks that say no domestic animals Prohibited in this area.

BLD do you have a list of any?

Christine Christine
Jul '14

BLD,

I guess you missed that I posted that same statute 2 days ago.

Christine,

I haven't been in enough town parks lately to see if any were posted, but I imagine if the statute is on the books, it's likely that some if not all are.

To all dog owners by the way, in my posting of the complete section of the statute, it does also state that dogs should be leashed and on a leash no more than 6 feet long, which means the standard type leash in most cases, not the retractable ones, which normally start somewhere around 8-10 feet and I believe I've seen some as long as 20 feet. It doesn't matter what "strength rating" the retractable has either, because even a smaller dog that gets a run on can pull the handle right out of your hands.

The loop on my dog's leash is always carabinered right to my belt, so there's no way he can slip away short of slipping his harness, which is snug on him. The choice of 5 or 6 feet in most communities is probably due to the full reach of and adult from fingertip to fingertip, considering that would be your "controllable space".

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '14

Phil - I did see your post. I was trying to determine if Jazzykatt was one of those people who believes the law is for everyone but her. If you don't like the law then work to change it.

In Washington Township, (Morris County) dogs are prohibited in all public parks, (except the Dog Park) and on school property. It's clearly posted in every park. If you feel you must socialize your dog join the Dog Park or take them to Turkey Brook Dog Park in Mt. Olive.

Well so far this week I have been to 4 parks and no signs for dogs prohibited. (this would be in Hackettstown only)

Christine Christine
Jul '14

Phil

Please don't make false, dramatic assumptions. No such signs were posted at the parks that I go to. I always check the place out before bringing him. There are parks that allow dogs you know. I don't need the law quoted to me when I'm not breaking it.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Jul '14

Isn't that state fish hatchery / game land? Looks like you can train it off leash..

23:4-25. Dogs; running at large; training; carrying firearms into woods or fields; exceptions

The owner, lessee or custodian of a dog may go into the woods or fields with the dog without firearms for the purpose of exercising or training it in daylight at any time, except during the open season for deer, provided that on State public shooting and fishing grounds or wildlife management areas such exercising or training may be restricted to designated areas, and raccoon dogs may be trained between the hours of sunset and sunrise for a period of 4 weeks prior to the last week preceding the opening of the raccoon season unless prescribed otherwise by the Fish and Game Code. The penalty for violation of this section shall be $20.00 for each offense.

skippy skippy
Jul '14

Jazzykatt

I was not making false or dramatic assumptions. I only quoted the Statute itself, then later when Christine stated that she didn't remember any signs DID say "I haven't been in enough town parks lately to see if any were posted, but I imagine if the statute is on the books, it's likely that some if not all are." There would be no need for a statute if there aren't any areas controlled or covered by said statute, so I was making a very logical conclusion, not a "false or dramatic assumption". I did not single you out either, in terms of behavior, etc. so I have no idea why you feel the need to "jump down my throat".

Many times people miss signs that are there or go by them so often that they no longer notice them. There may have been signs at one time which were removed OR they could be in a spot where people may not notice them. I see people walking dogs on school property in Hopatcong all the time, when there are clearly signs prohibiting that and there are paths to the schools here in Hackettstown where dogs are exclusively prohibited (those are listed in another section of the statute).

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '14

Darwin...say that to my face at the next council meeting..before you run out LMAO!

pampurr pampurr
Jul '14

Re: Unleashed dogs at Alumni Field

Sign at the entrance of the Alumni Field

lifegoeson lifegoeson
Jul '14

Phil,

My sincerest apologies. My post was meant for BLD who thought I found myself to be above the law.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Jul '14

wow, unstable much?

pmnsk pmnsk
Jul '14

This is still a ridiculous problem. I had words with a guy yesterday whose dog came charging toward my 9 month old who was in a jogging stroller. The owner kept telling me the dog was friendly. I should have kicked that dog in the head.

Consigliere
May '15

Check that. It's not the dog fault. I should have kicked the owner in the head.

Consigliere
May '15

A confession
We let our dog run loose at Alumni Field if no one else is around.
We call him in and leash him immediately if anyone comes into view.
We pick up his deposits
We are considerate, would never let him approach anyone even though he is friendly.

scared to say scared to say
May '15

Consigliere lmao! People just don't get it...and the best part is when you say something to them and they act like you're crazy for even mentioning it!

Scared to say,

Do you plan to continue this, even after reading the comments and concerns of your neighbors and the law?

The law doesn't say that "everyone has to have their dog on a leash...accept for those owners who, themselves, deem their dogs friendly."

Serious question: (assuming you couldn't wrangle your dog and it charged me, even to play) what would your response be if I pepper-sprayed the daylights out of Fido?

Consigliere
May '15

Yeah. I carry pepper spray also. More to use on people if needed but also on crazed dog.

A good day
May '15

I find it appalling that not one of the dog owners who cross the American Legion field can read the sign that clearly states "no pets on fields". Day in and day out many dogs (on leashes) with their owners in tow are on that field, just plain ignorant.

auntiel auntiel
May '15

I run there a few times a week. Yes with earbuds in. I see a lot of people that let they dogs run off of the leash. Two years ago while running back corner behind the legion I had a large black Lab run up behind me and take out my leg. He knocked me over like a bowling pin and I almost ended up into the holding area. My one ear bud came out and all I could hear was the owner yelling he is a friendly dog.

I could not begin to tell you how much restraint I had when dealing with this individual.

I should be able to enjoy my run and not have to worry about that happening. Now when ever I see a dog I slow down and keep an eye on them. I should not have to do that. Something needs to be done. Who enforces the leash law? The state or the town police and animal control.

Good question, CJ. I too am a runner and stopping to see if a dog is alone/with owner/rabid/playful (playful is the worst, I don't want to play with your damn dog) is ridiculous.

My taxes help pay for those parks. If I can't enjoy them fully because of some dog owner, I want to know who to complain to.

Consigliere
May '15

As far as I know, there are no Statewide leash laws in NJ, but it is usually up to local municipal govt. to enact those, as well as enforce them. That said, I do believe that any local police officer and/or the ACO can write a summons to anyone who is in violation of local "leash law" statutes. Of course unless the dog is actively attacking someone or another animal, you'd want to call their non-emergency number to report it rather than dialing 911.

Phil D. Phil D.
May '15

When a dog was running towards me I have no idea if it is friendly or not, whether he wants to play or bite my butt. I am calling 911.

Teenie Teenie
May '15

I agree with all of the comments. I use public parks etc and it NEVER fails that someone's unleashed dog approaches me. Keep your damn dog AWAY FROM ME!!

I have said things like "Can you put you dog on a leash please" or "there's a leash law" etc and 100% of the time the owners shrug it off. I guess because their dog is so "friendly".

INFURIATING.

Really?
May '15

you all have the right to defend yourselves, and you have the right to defend your child in the baby stroller. use whatever means you have at your disposal to defend yourself and your family from out of control dogs and their out of control owners

BrotherDog BrotherDog
May '15

I have two dogs and for the life of me can't understand why people don't keep their dogs on leashes. My two are always on leashes and I never let them approach anyone, unless the person asks if they are friendly, and if they can say hello.

It really isn't safe for the dog (who's to say it won't run off chasing something and get lost or hit by a car) and it certainly isn't respectful of other people enjoying themselves.

There are dog parks where you can let your dog play off leash and they are fenced off so it is safer for the dogs.

I have a very large Rottweiler that my husband walks every day. Our Rottie is about 120lbs and around 1 years old. While our dog is extremely good w/our young child and my husband and I, he does get extremely excited when other people and dogs are around and begins to jump. He is not aggressive, but being such a large dog who still hasn't figured out his own strength, we are careful when we walk him to look ahead for other people and dogs. One time my husband had our dog at a local field and someone else s dog came running up out of nowhere (unleashed) and wanted to play w/our dog and there was a very large size difference between the 2. Thankfully our Rottie listens well to my husband and just sat immediately, but what would have happened if he didn't, wanted to play, and one of the dogs got hurt somehow?

I also really dislike when people just instantly come up and try to pet him or let their dog come right up to him. Please ask first if he is a friendly dog or if it is okay. While I know he is friendly and I am more than fine w/you petting him, I also like to warn people he does jump (we are still working on this one issue) because you may decide then not to come near him then.

sunshinenj sunshinenj
May '15

It's funny when people with unleashed dogs always say "he's friendly" as the dog runs right at you. What if MY dog, who is leashed, isn't friendly? I may not want your friendly, unleashed dog, playing with my dog because my leashed dog may bite your dog.

Redwing
May '15

I would suggest taking a picture or 2 of the animal unleashed, then tell the owner you took the photo to have ( in the event you or your dog should get bitten ) ..so there will be no misunderstanding of where the responsibility lies for the medical bills and attorney fees. !

Steven Steven
May '15

I could not agree more redwing! My dog is not friendly and I hate that I cannot take him on a nice walk becasue I am so worried about the irresponsible people and their unleashed dogs.

just saying is all just saying is all
May '15

sunshinenj

Your situation sounds exactly like mine except my Rott is only 110 pounds and he is 3 1/2 years old. He is strong and loves all people and most dogs but there are some dogs he doesn't like so I am always vigilant when walking him and I have a life and death grip on my leash. For this reason, I panic if I see a loose dog.

We had a loose Chihuahua try to attack and fortunately my dog just stared at it as if it was crazy. The dumb owner couldn't stop laughing because her little dog was trying to bully my big dog who was on a leash. I told her she wouldn't be laughing if he decided to defend himself and retaliate.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
May '15

Yes, the so-called little dog with the "big dog attitude" - no, it's just a little dog that has not been trained to behave and it's being obnoxious. Not the dog's fault, the owner is either lazy or clueless or both.

Lynnada Lynnada
May '15

We walk the trail by Riverfront Park quite often and have been confronted by loose and what I consider aggressive dogs. I now carry bear spray and will not hesitate to use it at the slightest provocation and that would include situations where people have nasty dogs on a lease and expect you to get the hell out of their way.

OldSam
May '15

yes, some owners are 'weaponizing' their dogs and use them to intimidate others.

that's real wrong,

fully agree with oldsam, too many times aggressive behavior by unleashed dogs is co-enabled by owners who like to put fear into others.

"he's just friendly, relax!" ; "he won;t hurt anyone, i promise!" "don't move sudden, he doesn't like that!", "let hm sniff you so that he knows you're not an enemy" ; "He's just checking you out, so don't act scared, 'cause that'll set him off! and we don;t want that", and many other classically stupid phrases.

right . . . . .

like we have to now obey commands shouted at us by owners who cannot control their own dogs, like they get to tell us how to behave towards their animals so that we don't get hurt.

r u kidding? that's completely backwards right?

those folks and their dogs need to be prepared to deal with the consequences if they run into someone who is well prepared to stop the aggression. i will take measures when i need to.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
May '15

Scared to say.... Hope you realize how much bacteria your dogs leaves on a field after you pick up its crud.

At any time The Town can ban all pets from the parks.... leashed or unleashed.

hhs89
May '15

Hhs89, I think it's about time to do that. For those owners who DO take proper care of their animals, sorry, but the morons who can't leash their dog will soon ruin it for you.

Brotherdog +1, you nailed it.

Consigliere
May '15

So, dog owners, have you all learned anything here?????? I hope so.

Really?
May '15

Really?... I highly doubt it... I was up at the Field of Dreams yesterday and an older man was walking with his dog unleashed. The dog was a bit of distance behind the man because he was stopping to sniff, pee, etc...The thing I don't get is if the dog is behind you and you're walking, how are you going to know if he decides to take off or whatever until you turn around?
The other thing is..if you're just walking the track with your dog then why can't you have the leash on him? It's not like he is running around playing or it would be somehow restricting him from being a "dog" as some would say. So I am curious why even a simple activity like walking would encourage you to remove his leash?

very simple way to resolve:

would suggest taking a picture or 2 of the animal unleashed,( be sure to snap a pic of the owner as well) ... then tell the owner you took the photo to have ( in the event you, your child, or your dog should get bitten ) ..so there will be no misunderstanding of where the responsibility lies for the medical bills and attorney fees !

You are walking in their " land of entitlement"...put these people on notice with a picture , they cannot dispute the dog / animal was NOT leashed , so when it bites you in the "ars" or the ankles, or attacks your child, you have history of animal being walked unleashed .
These type of people ( inconsiderate ) don't appreciate being put on notice they will be held accountable for their animals ( especially financially ) and their actions.
Passed a fellow yesterday on 611 ( in Hope ) ( riding a bicycle with a dog in tow on a leash) ......what is wrong with these people ! ??

Steven Steven
May '15

How many complaining here have cats that they let outdoors?

Gadfly Gadfly
May '15

Gadfly, I don't understand your question. I mean, I understand it, but fail to see how it is relevant to the conversation. Letting cats outdoors is not illegal. To answer your question, no, I don't have cats.

Consigliere
May '15

For all you bear and pepper spray caŕriers, NJ has very specific laws on what kind and what quantity is allowed. The penalty is more severe than an unleashed dog. Bear sprays are not legal in NJ.

reynolds
May '15

I would think the people who let their dogs off the leash know that their dog is not furious and will not attack people.

May '15

Dicks sporting goods has a nice selection of pepper spray. Legal in nj.

A good day
May '15

"I would think the people who let their dogs off the leash know that their dog is not furious and will not attack people."

Doesn't matter.
1) there are lease laws
2) people shouldn't have to deal with dogs coming up to them
3) Even if their dog is friendly doesn't mean something won't trigger the dog's behavior to change
4) a leashed dog might not be friendly so the owner doesn't need another dog coming up to them

darwin darwin
May '15

Leash'em and don't let them on fields where children play, fall and roll.

Good citizens:..... see something... say something.

hhs89
May '15

He/She doesn't bite

Then what are those white things in its mouth?

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
May '15

I was attacked by a dog (I won't name the breed) while riding my bath on a bicycle path (not in Hackettstown. ) Two people were walking their Leashed dogs (each holding onto one leash) on the same path headed toward me. Instead of walking by me ... one of the dogs (who the owner said was Friendly) lunged at me with teeth bared and growling. The owner held onto the lease but had a lot of trouble keeping the dog from reaching and biting me. The dog did not obey the owner's commands. I fell off the bike. I am a very secure bike rider as I regularly ride long distances with hills etc. and was able to move away from the dog onto the grassy area. Thankfully I had only minor cuts and bruises from the bike pedal, etc. This was a leashed and 'supposedly' friendly dog. If this friendly large dog wasn't leashed it could have been very unpleasant for me (and the owners of the dog.) Some Alumni Field dog folks have a problem doing the right thing. I've seen that recently on a walk I took on the paths. All dogs should be leashed in public areas; NO exceptions.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
May '15

**Correction to my post above: I was riding my "Bike" not my Bath:)**

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
May '15

I thought you were a CLEAN rider lol

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
May '15

" I would think the people who let their dogs off leash know that their dog is not furious and will not attack people"

Wow!! Really? If people could read their dog's mind and predict future behavior then I guess there would never be another dog bite? Heck maybe it would work for chewed couches, cats chasing, and pee- pee accidents too lol! That would be fantastic...except Ceaser Milan might be out of a job:)

Ha Ha Mr. Clyde Potts! You gave me a good laugh ... needed every once in-a-while. Thanks!!

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
May '15

To: Consigliere

Check out Chapter 6a of the Town Code. You can not let the cat run free or at large either. The same laws apply to cats as to dogs

6A-8. Responsibility of Owner.
No person owning, keeping or harboring any cat shall permit it to soil, defile or commit any nuisance on any place where people congregate or walk or upon any public property whatsoever. This provision shall apply to all privately owned property in the Town except the property of the owner or keeper of the cat and the property owned or controlled by persons who have invited or permitted the owner or keeper of a cat to bring such cat upon the premises.

+10000 darwin

I was riding my bike on Columbia Trail today with the same problem. Always have this problem there. Always.

Come on people!

Really?
May '15

How about those that are on a leash and the owner STILL lets the dog approach you! What gives?

Really?
Jun '15

Just curious...."WHY" would anyone run on a busy county road ( their words ) and then be surprised at an event happening out of the ordinary ! ???

The county road is specifically for vehicular traffic , not anyone's running / excersise area for an individual on foot ....go to the school and use the track
( oh wait, you likely need their consent , and due to "liabilities" probably would not consent , and probably inconvenient for you .)

Perhaps if you did not go, where you should not be in the 1st place, this type of thing would not happen . ( I would imagine a homeowner on a county road would not expect someone to be running on the road )

Just my observation and opinion ....The real issue here -> Common Sense seems to be lacking.
If someone has an animal not restrained as it should be, lodge a compalint so in the event something happens later, you will have recourse.

Steven Steven
Jun '15

Was at alumni field yesterday - guy there with three unleashed dogs.

Nature Lover Nature Lover
Jun '15

I seriously can't stand this anymore. Now that the weather is nicer, the problem is getting worse. Running is getting impossible. I can't do teo full laps (woods included) without seeing an unleashed dog. Told a guy last week: "you know, you're supposed to leash your dog" and the guy replies "it's ok, he stays right next to me" what??????? If he stays right next to you, how hard is it to put a leash on him?? I'm both happy that others in town feel the same way, but sad that this is such an issue.

Talleyho!
Jun '15

Steven are you responding to Calico's post from June 2014? If so, wow

darwin darwin
Jun '15

I walk my dog at Riverside (Doctors Park). My dog is always on a leash mainly because she is a runner and very playful. When I see someone approaching us either running or walking I move off of the trail and onto the grass area, make her sit and keep her on a short leash until they pass us. My problem are the people who approach us and want to pet her. Although, she is friendly she will jump on people. This is her way of saying hello. I always say no she will jump on you but some people do not listen. I believe dogs should be leashed when walking in a public place but people must also respect the fact we do not want you to approach our pets.

Yes, "wow" darwin.

Steven - Everyone and their grandmother runs, walks and rides bikes on the county roads. The shoulders are pretty wide and I've never encountered a problem with vehicles. Unleashed dogs seem to be the only issue most of us have. BTW - my town doesn't have a school that has a track and I prefer the change of scenery and elevation changes of running on the road as opposed to round and round in circles like a hamster on a flat track.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '15

yes Calico, did not take note of the date, got caught up in the thread, sorry , not specific to you, just a pet peeve I have with the roadways that were built and designed for automobiles andf motorized vehicles.
There are no designated running , walking, jogging or bicycling lanes on most county roads and persons should not be doing any of the aforementioned activities ( pure liability to the operators of the motorized vehicles ) and a great danger to the person / persons, themselves.
Because "everyone and their grandmother does it", does not make it correct or legal.

The point I was making is "everyone " seems to do "what they want" to do, "the way they want to" do it, because it is convenient for them....
( ie; use of busy county roads to run on, bicycles on county roads, strollers on walking trails and believing they have carte blanche to the roadways and trails without condiseration for others .. )
But then to take exception to the way people walk their animals and where, just seems to be a bit hypoctical.
If you see someone walking their dog without a leash, photograph it and report it to the authorities, they can easily retain a picture with a date I am sure ( as you can as well on your phone, tablet, laptop, etc., should you need in future )

Just my observation and opinion.

Steven Steven
Jun '15

Because "everyone and their grandmother does it", does not make it correct or legal.

Steven you do realize it IS LEGAL to ride/walk on a county road, right?

http://www.nj.gov/transportation/commuter/bike/faqs.shtm

darwin darwin
Jun '15

But then to take exception to the way people walk their animals and where, just seems to be a bit hypoctical.

no... once again, some were talking about something that is LEGAL (walking on a road) vs something that is ILLEGAL (no leashing your dog)

darwin darwin
Jun '15

My common sense must have overwhelmed me .
I saw a fellow on a bicycle this morning on Route 206 .....one hand on the handle bars , a cup of coffe in the other hand, no helmet ...and riding on the wrong side of the road !
Yes indeed, that was legal. ( no liability here )

Steven Steven
Jun '15

"wrong side of the road"

now riding on the wrong side of the road makes it illegal.

darwin darwin
Jun '15

and "no helmet" ,surely makes the most sense .

The coffee cup I will leave to the imagination .

Steven Steven
Jun '15

I just would not like to lose my dog, I love her, so just follow the law, the law could use some enforcement.

doctor k 16 doctor k 16
Jun '15

I just want to start off by saying that anyone who claims public-use roads are for cars only shouldn't be driving as that much ass surrounding their head certainly impairs their vision. The design of roadways has always incorporated pedestrian traffic considerations through various means including but not limited to roadway design, maximum speed specifications, and laws giving pedestrians right-of-way in the huge majority of situations. Any road that is designed not to accommodate pedestrians (such as highways, etc...) will display signage to that effect.

Furthermore, helmets are not required for cyclists over the age of 18, nor are they required to use both hands to steer. If you don't like it, tough. Don't cram your opinion down the throats of others. Laws do however indicate that cyclists must follow traffic patterns.
http://www.nj.gov/transportation/commuter/bike/regulations.shtm

And in fact people do have the right to use public spaces as they please provided they are operating within posted rules and regulations of the space. Strollers on a walking path are usually A-OK. Walking/biking on a road: completely fine in most cases. Unleashed dogs in Riverside park: NO. Running down bikers on the shoulder because you're late to your 6th grade English class: you tell me.

Common Sense Common Sense
Jun '15

There is the key --> provided they are operating "within posted rules and regulations" of the space.

Strollers on a walking path are usually A-OK. <---it is a walking trail, not a stroller trail.

Walking/biking on a road: completely fine in most cases. -> If the law is followed , which typically is not the case .
Yes the laws need to be enforced far more agressively without question.

If you are on a bicycle without a helmet,....you clearly do not value your own safety or have any regard for the persons that would have to care for you in the event you were in a mishap. .. but I guess you could then transplant your ass to your shoulders and maintain the same mindset .. ....again just my opinion .
No one wants to be accountable for themselves anymore.

If there is an issue with an unleashed dog, take a photo and turn it in, really not that difficult .

Steven Steven
Jun '15

"Walking trail" is not a legal designation that disallows strollers. "Roadway" does not imply exclusive use by automobiles. Your arguments are invalid at the most basic level. Additionally, in the United States everything is legal until laws are created specifically disallowing certain behavior. Where there are ambiguous definitions, the judicial system is used to more accurately define the limits and to apply the "spirit" of laws to specific situations.

Helmet laws are an excellent example of individuals taking personal responsibility. There are numerous studies and examples of the benefit to wearing a helmet, but it is still a choice. If a person chooses not to wear a helmet, they are taking the responsibility of their well-being into their own hands.

And if you are such a stickler for close adherence to laws, I should hope that you report yourself to the police every time you exceed the speed limit by even 1 mile per hour, cross a double-yellow line, or pass a left-turning car on the right because these are all actually against the law and are statistically far more dangerous than taking a stroller on a "walking trail."

Common Sense Common Sense
Jun '15

steven do you leash your dogs at river park?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '15

Steven, to assume "walking paths" are not for strollers is absurd to the point of trolling.

Talleyho!
Jun '15

+1 brotherdog

And Steven, why should the law abiding citizens and authorities have to chase you and your damn dogs down, wasting time and money to issue you a ticket? Take pictures? Leash you dog!

Talleyho!
Jun '15

is texting while biking illegal ?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '15

+1 brotherdog

And Steven, why should the law abiding citizens and authorities have to chase you and your damn dogs down, wasting time and money to issue you a ticket? Take pictures? Leash you dog!

Talleyho!
Jun '15

what if the issue with an unleashed dog is an injury to another animal or person? Keeping them controlled is better than the "solution" of taking pictures!

kepa
Jun '15

Remember when Riverpark aka "Sebers" was only a trail for dirt bikes and four wheelers?? How else do you think all those pretty little trails were made. Not by the town, the local kids. No dogs, no strollers, no walkers, no joggers, just a beautiful peaceful place in the woods the kids enjoyed to ride. The adults never complained. Oh well, progress I guess.

auntiel auntiel
Jun '15

I use three multi use trails to ride my bike. I rarely see people on the Sussex Branch Trail when I ride there. Weekday mornings before noon. I have not had a dog problem on the Sussex Branch Trail. I ride from Andover to Augusta and beyond.

The Columbia Trail is fine too. I rarely see unleashed dogs. The trail is wide enough to easily pass walkers , even those with strollers. I don't like what they did to the trail near the condos that are being built. If you ride or walk there you know what I mean. The trail was diverted and is now very narrow with a steep quick dipdedoo.

Loantaka is the trail that I have unleashed dog problems every time I ride there. Usually more than once a day. The trail is about four people walking wide so it is a decent width. I signal people that I will be passing on the left if they are taking up more than 2/3 of the path. People hear me and respond by moving over as they should since we share the path. I slow down if there are people walking. We are all reasonably safe and we share the path. But this is where the unleashed dog is a problem. I can't call ahead to the dog that I am passing on the left. The dog of course doesn't understand this. More times than not the dog just stands there and I slowly pass it. Once in a while it will move into my path which is dangerous to me and the dog.
I now will stop and in a friendly manor remind the dog owner that there is a leash law. I never get a friendly reply back of course. I suggest that if they want their dog to run free they could go to a dog park where it is OK to unleash their dog.
I think I will now indeed take a picture of the unleashed dog and tell the owner that I have just texted a picture of their unleashed dog to the Park Police. maybe.........
I'm off to Loantaka now since it isn't raining.

I have my first dog after 50 years of cats only. I love him more than anything. I will never leave him without a leash while outside my home. Even on his run in the backyard, a lab bit him. And it's impossible to get between those teeth unless you are willing to get bitten. I have learned , quickly, that for MY dog's safety he should be on a leash while outside. Alumni is not a dog park. Follow the leash law to protect your dog and if course other people. Unless your dog is toothless, anything can happen.

Yep posted everywhere but i guess people can't read. Here are three dogs not leashed.

FranksNBeans
Aug '15

LOL that is crazy. I see it all the time. Doesn't anyone enforce it? They sure were quick to send out those license notices earlier in the year but they can't go down there and sit for an hour and ticket these owners?

TigerMom
Aug '15

Maybe we can get the authorities that are supposed to enforce the law to read this thread...

Really?
Aug '15

FranksNBeans - same three dogs running loose again today - if someone was scared of dogs running towards them .......... this guy needs to follow park rules before he spoils it for everyone. Doesn't anyone from the parks department look at this Forum I wonder.

Aug '15

Nature Lover,
Did you say anything to the man either time? I understand if you're not confrontational but try saying politely: "you know there are leash laws at this park. Your dog is supposed to be on a leash." After informing the guy (read: selfish moron) don't expect a response. Simply turn and walk away.

Just two days ago my wife, one year old son and I were coming off of the white trail behind tranquillity farms and a large black German Shepard came darting up the path towards us. My wife, who was bitten by a GS when sh was young froze in fear. If this thing was dangerous, she would have been in trouble. I asked the guy "you know your dog is supposed to be on a leash right?" He responded "ok" and walked past us. My wife turned to me and thanked me for keeping my cool. She knows all too well I wanted to absolutely scream at him. The problem seems to be getting far worse. Too bad the taxes I pay don't ever cover anything I enjoy.

Like anything else, this will take a 4 year old getting their face but by one of these "friendly" dogs before anything is done.

TalleyHo!
Aug '15

I've seen the three black labs, and they are the most obedient dogs I have ever seen. They do not run and stay right with the owner. I've never seen better behaved dogs. I walk mine on a leash and that mans dogs can walk right by and not leave his side. You folks have way too much time on your hands and create drama. These dogs won't hurt a fly. Worry about other things.

TigerFriend
Aug '15

Tiger, though in spirit I agree with you, and am not afraid of dogs - I do know that others are, whether the dogs are well behaved or not., I have a mush of a dog, who gets very excited when he sees other dogs and people - I leash him - he would never hurt anyone, not an aggressive bone in his body, but he's big and in his excitement, I could see how he might frighten someone by his big goofy face and wiggly body - if you are not used to dogs or have had a bad experience with a dog, you might be frightened for "no reason," that's the definition of panic response - being sensitive to others in our world, and, by the way - obeying the law - is a dog-owner's responsibility in a public place - if people don't obey the law, then it is those of us who do - who enjoy taking our dogs to a nice walking path - who will suffer as the dogs become excluded because one dog wasn't as "well behaved" and someone got hurt

pmnsk pmnsk
Aug '15

+1 pmnsk

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '15

Very well said pmsk :)

Wow! TigerFriend you can predict the future? That's amazing....but I think you are missing the whole point.

I like the 3 Black Labs as well. I know them by name. They are very nice and my dogs adore them. However, my first experience was having 2 of them race right up to me with my 2 dogs. Needless to say I was not happy about this at all. I wish he would follow the rules because it ruins it for the rest of us. I'm also suspicious that I NEVER see him with a poop bag but often see large piles here and there on my walk. Not picking up the poop bothers me more than anything because it's just lazy and gross. I don't know why I don't confront him other than he is a very nice man and I know that I will see him almost everyday and confronting him would make it uncomfortable. I hope he reads this or someone tells him about it and he realizes that perhaps at the park is not where he should let them off leash.

Walking Girl Walking Girl
Aug '15

Walking girl, let's assume that the black lab guy actually, for some crazy reason, doesn't know about the leash law. He may be grateful that you told him, possibly saving him from a future citation, or worse.

Tiger, just because his 3 black labs are friendly, doesn't mean that someone else's ill-tempered LEASHED dog won't bite them if they approach him. The law protects all parties involved, including the very dogs in question.

These parks are not his, nor yours. The parks don't belong to me alone either. The parks are for everyone to enjoy, as long as everyone follows the rules. We are not talking about going to the black lab-guy's back yard. It's a state park and when you enter it you agree to a sort of contract to be respectful.

If I had to guess, the old guy has too many dogs to properly walk them without getting pulled down the street. For the looks of it, he's got one or two too many. Of course he could leave one at home and go to the park twice, but it's more convenient to inconvenience other people.

PS when I'm at a state/town/ national park I don't want your "friendly" dog nuzzling me or giving me "kisses." Why should anyone have to deal with that intrusion of personal space?

TalleyHo!
Aug '15

No, I did not say anything because quite honestly I had had a bad day and I just could not stand the thought of a bad reaction perhaps from him. I know his dog and yes, they are friendly enough, usually only the smaller one is off the leash. While they do seem to be well behaved and friendly, they did not go back to him when he called them this time. If someone is perhaps walking a dog that is timid, and it has three dogs run up to it, it could be a problem for the timid dog and it's owner. All I'm saying and no Tigerfriend, I don't have too much time on my hands, no need for sarcasm, just stating a fact.

Aug '15

I love dogs but they belong on a leash in public places. All kinds of unfortunate things can happen otherwise. On a camping trip I had both my dogs on a leash while hiking. My dogs are 60 pounds and 90 pounds. Out of nowhere a small, fluffy, unleashed dog ran up and attacked the larger of my two dogs. Fortunately, my dog barely responded. Had little fluff ball chose my other dog things would have ended differently for her. My dogs are sweethearts and do not instigate trouble with other dogs, but when provoked my female will respond. Luckily for fluff ball she chose the right dog.
That is just one example of things that can happen. Big happy dogs knocking over children, scaring people, etc....
There are leash laws for a reason, countless reasons, actually.

Jesse Jesse
Aug '15

Well behaved or not. They are still animals and could do anything at any given time. You never know when a dog or any animal will get spooked by something.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Aug '15

I took my daughter to the playground at Sandshore school the other day and two men and a child came around the building with three small unleashed dogs. I saw the one man put one on a leash but the other two remained loose. Sure enough, one of the loose dogs approached, but I had already picked my daughter up and I looked right at the man and told him dogs should be leashed on a playground. Twice. He tells me they are on some electronic device. I said I don't know that, and they don't know that.

Does this comply with a leash law? How far can they go? How close do you need to be? The dog got close enough to us that it could have bitten if it wanted to. I just can't understand what person thinks it's okay to have loose dogs where children are present, or in any public non-dog park space. I was bit by a dog as a child on my elementary school playground too.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '15

Dogs should not be on school grounds period.

Picker
Aug '15

Dogs should be leashed ... it's the Law and the Law should be enforced. I am afraid of dogs having been attacked by a quote "well behaved" dog per the owner. All I was doing is going by in the opposite direction and the dog lunged at me. The dog did Not respond to the owner's commands. I was lucky to not be badly hurt. I've seen the 3 black dogs unleashed several times and it makes me afraid. Yesterday, at Alumni, a man was walking an unleashed Dalmation and another man had an unleashed black dog of some breed. I've had dogs over the years and obeyed the laws. I guess Dog Laws don't matter to some folks; they feel entitled to ignore Laws that are not in their best interest. There are dog parks. Please take your unleashed dogs to a Dog Park. At Alumni Field dogs should be leashed ... it's the Law and the Law should be enforced.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Aug '15

I like dogs but if an unleashed one comes up to me in a threatening manner it will get smacked with my walking stick and possibly pepper sprayed.
I hope people put their dogs on leashes in the park.

A good day
Aug '15

I'm not quite sure, knowing we all have cell phones, why no one calls the police under these circumstances............

5catmom 5catmom
Aug '15

Mrs. Pipes I agree with you. I also suffered a dog bite from a neighbors "well behaved" dog which turned out to be quite severe. This was a dog that knew me and had been around me plenty of times previous to that.
As stated there are DOG PARKS, therefore I'm not sure why people insist on taking their unleashed dogs to other places? If it is so important for you to be at the public park, on the school grounds, or wherever then just put your dog on a leash. I do try to think the best of people in most cases, but really is this such a hard concept to master? I think that we just have a lot of ignorant people in the world that only care about themselves and show no concern for others. It is very sad.

Mrs. Pipes, a dalmatian is what got me when I was a child. I was attacked from behind, knocked down and bit on the shoulder. Thankfully I wasn't badly hurt either. I love dogs, but dalmatians are a big exception.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '15

Do our elected officials read this site? Why is nothing being done about this?

5cat mom, how long do you think it would take for the police to respond to a call about an unleashed dog? my guess is that the dog and owner would be well gone by the time the authorities showed up.

What are the penalties for kicking an unleashed dog in the face? It's a serious question. If a dog charges at me, even to "play" how would I defend/prepare to dend myself? Do I wait until the "friendly" dog bites me? Id like a little legal clarification if anyone has some.

TalleyHo!
Aug '15

police need to be called!!!!!. Animal Control has approached owners of unleashed dogs and gave them warnings ( I was with her, so i saw first hand) . She doesn't have the capability to detain people or run a license plate to find out who these people are. Yes she can write tickets but if owners tell her to " go fly a kite" Then what? This is something police need to take care of because they have more pull

poundstone poundstone
Aug '15

I hope my "kick the dog in the face" comment didn't make me sound like a jerk. I actually love dogs. I'm just at my wits end. I do not run in 2 parks anymore because of the dog problem. I have a 1 year old son I jog with in a jogging stroller and am too afraid a loose dog will bite him.

How the heck is that fair? I want the parks back! I want to feel like it's safe for my son! Who do I call/write to?

TalleyHo!
Aug '15

She is not ASPCA certified? Why was she appointed?

FranksNbeans
Aug '15

I have two dogs that I walk 3-5 miles every few days in town, on back streets, parks and trails. I have a Jack Russell mix and a Whippet mix 8 and 7 years old. The listen to every command I've ever uttered and think everyone wants to pet them and be friends. They are very well behaved and respectful dogs.
None of that matters.
I don't want them frightining anyone, I don't want them to spend one night outdoors scared and alone. I don't want them getting hit by a car or chasing a squirrel or a child.
So yes my dogs are ALWAYS on a leash except for the dog park and my friends fenced in back yard.
I don't understand the peckerheads that think their dogs are different. It's common sense. It's being responsible. It's the law.

MuddyPaws MuddyPaws
Aug '15

Why is this even up for debate?? LEASH YOUR DOGS!!!

Really?
Sep '15

MuddyPaws for Mayor! Now that's an owner talking sense!

TalleyHo!
Sep '15

Thank you MuddyPaws for keeping your dogs safe and obeying the law at the same time. I am appreciative of both having been a responsible dog owner in the past and a current walker at Alumni field.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Sep '15

Muddypaws I loved your post and totally agree! Yet something you said had me a bit stumped....you have a Jack Russell mix that listens to every command you ever muttered??? Lol!!! Of course I'm teasing because I have a Jack Russell and a Jack Russell/ Rat terrier mix:) At times they listen, but they also love to push the limits to see how much they can get away with

Ugh. Just happened at Stevens state park. We should start a thread with pictures of the perpetrators to shame them. Bad taste?

Letsbecoolok?
Sep '15

One thing to keep in mind, some of the "unleashed" dogs may not be unleashed. If/when I feel it is safe to let my dog go un-tethered I use an E-collar, a wireless leash tech. Of course, this is paired with professional dog training, and constant in home self-training. E-collars should not be bought of the shelf and used without proper training.

Andrew Andrew
Sep '15

Tracy, I did just see your post about someone saying they had an electric leash. Like I said in my last comment, this is why they should not be used without proper training, they are not a device you can simply hit a button and have the dog listen. The owner of those dogs must not of known how to use the device, or may not of trained his dogs.

Andrew Andrew
Sep '15

I have a very large dog (100+lbs and growing) and my husband and I always keep him on a leash bc, although he is a good dog overall, one can never predict what could happen. Even tonight when I was taking him outside, it was dark and out of nowhere a cat came darting by. If he hadn't of been on a leash, he may or may not have gone after it (just like he chases our cat around). What bothers me is how many people have no problem bringing their dogs or themselves right up to mine to meet! While my dog listens for the most part, he also loves to jump and when a 120lb. Dog jumps, even just being friendly, you will most likely be knocked over. Just please keep your dog on leashes! Even the best, sweetest, most well trained dogs can have a bad day.

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Sep '15

My fiance just informed that as she was walking toward her car after finishing a morning run at the Field of Dreams, there was an old man walking a labradoodle/goldendoodle coming toward her on the track. She didn't want to pass him, so she cut through the grass. As she did this and passed the man, he turned around and started walking in her direction. He then let his dog off the leash, it jumped on her, and he began to creepily laugh.

Sad that young women can't feel safe at their local park because of disgusting creepy men.

mohepinoke mohepinoke
Sep '15

mohepinoke

She should have called the police, as that could be considered an assault, especially considering he had it on leash to begin with. That's just totally wrong, in any case. It's too bad there isn't a law against being a rank A_____E!

I always pull my dog to the side (on his required 6 foot leash) and stop if anyone's running towards me from the front or back that may come anywhere near close enough for any kind of encounter. I feel it's the responsible thing for me to do. It doesn't hurt my enjoyment any and it helps make sure we don't infringe on anyone else's right of enjoyment!

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '15

I posted previously on this subject. I am posting once again regarding what happened to my Sister-in-law when she encountered a friendly "I only want to love you and lick your face" large dog. She was walking in a park (not local) when a friendly unleashed dog decided to jump on her and lick her face. In the process the dog knocked her over. She was screaming in pain and carted off to a hospital in an ambulance. She has a broken hip and was in the hospital for about 3 weeks. While in the hospital she got some kind of "caught in the hospital" respiratory infection. She was released 2 days ago to physical Therapy at home for a week or so and then it will be continued at a PT center for about 3 months. She is now afraid of dogs (never was in the past), and depressed. Unfriendly and Friendly Dogs Should Be Leashed with NO Exceptions. On my future walks I will be carrying my cellphone that has an excellent camera and photographing unleashed dogs and their owners. I'll make copies of the pictures and drop them off at the appropriate places. It's too bad it's necessary.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Sep '15

just curious as to whether any calls have been made to the police or animal control on the spot

5catmom 5catmom
Sep '15

Mrs. Pipes

I'm so sorry to hear about your Sister-in-Law. I hope the owner of the dog was brought to justice, either by criminal or civil means. While dogs are humankind's best friends, that doesn't mean that they don't need to be physically uncontrolled in public. Sadly it's the same "it's not my kid's fault" mentality that seems to drive the owners that think their dogs could never cause harm. Dogs respond to certain stimuli, from human scents and food scents that may be on them to human behavior they may interpret as "prey behavior" that may instinctively override their training.

It's for that reason that there are leash laws in most, if not all communities in order to protect the public at large and why those leash laws must be followed by dog owners. If they aren't being followed and especially if a dog jumps on you or anything similar, the dog and their owner's picture should be taken and taken or forwarded to the police dept. along with a description of the incident. By the way, "electronic leashes" are NOT considered leashes in terms of most leash laws which call for a physical leash no longer than 6 feet long. I don't know why people don't seem to get this. Your dog may be considered your child, buddy and best friend, yet that IS NOT the complete truth. They ARE animals descended from wolves, and while you may be considered "their pack", you don't know exactly what they ARE thinking and sensing, as well as what their very nature "tells" them to do.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '15

The police in Indy do visit the Field of Dreams. Unfortunately, never when the loose dogs are present. Just bad timing I suppose.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Sep '15

Very well said Phil.

positive positive
Sep '15

this could happen here right in our local park. these dogs ripped his ear off and damaged his arm so badly he needs multiple surgeries and has lost nerve control, the videos are horrific:

Man viciously attacked by pit bulls in Bronx; owner arrested (graphic videos)

A 62-year-old man was mauled and nearly killed in a vicious attack by two pit bulls in the Bronx, as witnesses frantically tried to intervene, police said Saturday.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/pit-bulls-attack-man-bronx-graphic-video-shows-article-1.2358056

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Sep '15

I so agree with your statement, Phil D....Thank You!

joyful joyful
Sep '15

moepinoke - was she able to identify the man and/or the dog? is he a regular walker at that park?

does anyone else know who this might be?

this is truly a bully who has weaponized his dog and takes pleasure in bullying a lone woman. if i ever see him doing this, down he goes, and his mal-adjusted dog too.

i thought Great Meadows had 'helpful' , 'good' people? that's what the other thread says anyways. maybe one of them can help figure out who is terrorizing others at the Field of Dreams' ????

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Sep '15

Some good points. Even the most friendly dogs often want to jump up on strangers. Normally, and at the very least it is unwanted paw marks on your shorts or pants, but it can be more. In any case, even the paw marks is not welcomed unless the stranger calls the dog over.

Yes, leashing your dog AND cleaning up after your dog is mandatory proper behavior, Not doing either is passive aggressive behavior...

I didn't know there is a 6' leash rule.
Unfortunately lots of people have those retractable leashes which they conveniently fail to retract when I go by!
I have dog encounters EVERY time I go to a park or trail. Every single time.

Really?
Sep '15

Walking girl, you are SO right. I'd file a complaint for sure. I'm sick of it. I actually have anxiety when I walk my dog alone without my husband because I'm afraid of encountering a dog that's not leashed. My dog is SO friendly with people. He loves everyone he meets and doesn't have a mean bone in his body when it comes to people. However... He is definitely dog selective and honestly... There aren't many dogs he likes. So I always have my dog leashed and when I see another dog, I'll even switch sides of the road or go another way. But when another dog charges at us, off leash, why should I have to deal with this? For a long time I carried spray, an air horn, a break stick in case they got into a fight, etc. It became too much to carry! And I get sick of the owners yelling "don't worry... My dog is friendly!" Um... Yours may be.. But mine doesn't like other dogs and when my leashed dog attacks your unleashed dog that charged at me, you're going to cry that my dog is aggressive.

LEASH YOUR DOGS PEOPLE! IT'S THE LAW!!!!

Walking Girl; You are absolutely correct! We have encountered similar situations several times at Alumni Park. I will voice my concerns the next time this happens and take a picture. It is so ironic that some folks think the laws are for others, but that they are exempt. Be careful; stay safe.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Mar '18

Bumping this post because it's necessary to do so. I am so tired of people walking their dogs unleashed! I walk my dogs at the park and all are on a leash. I also pick up after my dogs because that's the law and it's the sanitary thing to do and it keeps our park nice. The park is a great place to go. It has wonderful walking paths. The only dangerous thing are those who insist on not leashing their dogs. At the very least they could do is hook them up when the see someone else in their area.

Early this afternoon I had yet another encounter with such an individual and I'm so tired of it. He saw me coming from the distance. I didn't notice until I got closer that his two dogs were not leashed. We had one of the hatchery ponds between us and his two dogs took off towards us stopping just feet away only because I kept yelling at them to stay back. I wasn't afraid of his dogs hurting my dogs as they were smaller but I was afraid that my dogs would have hurt his dogs because his dogs were very aggressive and that I also would get hurt trying to keep the peace. He didn't seem to think any of this was a problem. He took his grand ole time wrangling them into his truck, which thank god was parked right there. Ironically the leashes were draped over his neck the entire time.

Why should I or anyone have to deal with this?? I really wish we had the resources to have someone at the park at all times. There really is money to be made writing citations for this and for not picking up after your dog(s).

I took pictures of him and his license plate and am considering filing a complaint. Let this be the warning to those that continue to do this, I will take pictures going forward and I will file a complaint. I will also carry my dog spray/horn and a stick. If your dog comes charging at me and my dogs this is what they will encounter. I don't want to have to do it but if it comes to me or my dogs against your unleashed dog - your dog loses! Just put your dog on a leash. IT'S THE LAW!!!!

Mar '18

Agreed! It's such a shame when the irresponsible dog owners give the rest of us a bad rep.

About 6-8 months ago a friend was walking her German Shepherd (one from us) in a public area in Chester, where dogs are also required to be on leashes. Her dog is highly socialized, and meets and greets ALL people and other animals without any issues. She is trained exactly like a service animal, and she is always walked on leash.

On this particular day, a guy was letting his two huge dogs run off-leash, and they charged full-speed at both my friend's dog... and (their real mistake) my friend.

Needless to say, the Shepherd viewed the dog charging her human as an imminent threat. She responded accordingly.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '18

Rebecka,
That's exactly what my dogs would've have done. I was very proud of their restraint. They let me be in charge but I don't know for how much longer they would have done that before let the smaller dogs know their place. LOL!

Mar '18

"The woman yelled at the dog saying "you've lost your privileges""

Roflmao! Did she give him a time out and take away his cell phone for a week, too?

Wow...

DevilsFan DevilsFan
Mar '18

The only sad thing, Walking Girl, is that a *dog* ended up paying the price for *his owner's* stupid behavior. Had justice really been served, it would have been the owner who got nipped in the arse! ;-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '18

I too have anxiety walking my Rottie on leash. I socialized him as a pup and he grew to love all humans and animals. Unfortunately, after several attacks by other dogs he has lost his tolerance and is constantly on guard. All of my hard work with him has been for nothing. He never retaliated in the past but I fear the next time an unleashed dog attacks, he won’t hold back. The sad part is the owners don’t seem to care and have caused so much stress for me and my boy.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Mar '18

Rebecka - yes that is unfortunate for the poor pup. I don't want to see any dog get hurt even the ones charging me and my dogs. However for the owner of an unleashed dog, let's just say I wouldn't be terribly sad if .......

Jazzykatt - I hope you don't give up. Maybe find odd times to walk your Rottie or different locations. I know that stinks that you have to do that. I do that because I don't want to deal with it. I walk in my neighborhood before the sun comes up sometimes just to have a peaceful walk. Even in my neighborhood there are several people who don't control their dogs.

Mar '18

Why do people think this is okay? Was there the other day and someone had a small dog off the leash. I get it's a small dog, but i'm trying to walk the path I don't want your dog wondering in front of me. I don't want to accidentally trip over your little dog and hurt either one of us. They could have easily played on the grass with the dog, but nope off leash in the middle of the path.

Also saw a Pit that the owners had on a leash and before they even were close to us, they were saying it's ok she/he's friendly. I'm sure they get lots of nasty people who assume the worst because of the type of dog. Probably why they made the comments but they were so good, the dog was on a leash and they walked far enough away that the dog couldn't get close to us no matter what.

Never assume people want to pet your dog. I love animals but don't love dogs I don't know running up to me. You just never know.

Sunshine Sunshine
Mar '18

Once again today. Different person with larger dog. It crossed my comfort threshold which is about 3-4 car lengths and I warned him to get control of his dog (because he literally was doing nothing) before I sprayed his dog and I took out my spray just so he understood that I meant it. His dog was on its way to where we were no doubt about it. After some calling the dog retreated. A nice lady was there to photograph wildlife. I think she was too stunned but I wish she got a picture of me drawing my spray.

Mar '18

I really think the police (park police?) should step in before there’s an ugly altercation. I agree with walking girl on the dog spray but there’s no telling how the owner will react once the situation escalates.

Again, the police need to step in. People are either too stupid to read the signs (which clearly state to leash your dog) or they’re just scofflaws who believe the law doesn’t apply to their dog because “it’s friendly.” With the amount of taxes we pay for police, it’s time they start ticketing dog owners. It’s not like they are hard to find. Go to drs park/riverfront park any day of the week when it’s over 40 degrees. These scofflaws are EVERYWHERE!

Consigliere
Mar '18

just saw this graphic- maybe it should be posted at entries to the parks

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '18

Keep calling the non-emergency number when you see them.

(908) 852-3300

Roger
Mar '18

"The only sad thing, Walking Girl, is that a *dog* ended up paying the price for *his owner's* stupid behavior. Had justice really been served, it would have been the owner who got nipped in the arse! ;-)"

AMEN, Rebecka!

I always carry pepper spray now. I've never had to use it, thankfully. But BEFORE I carried it, I did have an off-leash rotten little min-pin (my vet says "they're @ssholes!") bite my dog. Barely missed his jugular. Vet says we were very lucky. If i had it to do over, I would have punted that little sh1t back into his owner's yard. (owner refused to acknowledge the attack, or pay the vet bill. So the owner, like his dog, was also an @sshole.)

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Mar '18

The one thing that many dog owners fail to realize is that some people are afraid of dogs. All dogs. Even little ones, friendly ones, tail-wagging ones - all of them. We live in a culture where most people love dogs -- but not everyone does, and we need to respect that fact, and them.

I know I would be less than pleased if someone tossed their beloved pet tarantula or boa constrictor in my direction while simultaneously yelling, "don't worry, he's friendly!" So why would I do that with my dog to someone who might seriously not appreciate it?

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '18

LOL!!! The tarantula is a good example!!! HAHAHA

Mar '18

I wouldn't be around to complain though, having passed away from a heart attack.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '18

4catmom - That’s a nice idea except for the last line. We wouldn't want to give the impression that there is any ok time to have your dog unleashed in a public area.
The law is that dogs are required to be on the leash. Voice control or not the dog is required to be on a leash.

Most people with their unleashed dogs think they have voice control until they don’t. Even with the most well-trained dog you cannot guarantee 100% that you will have 100% voice control over that dog 100% of the time. It's simply an unrealistic notion. It’s still an animal.

So suppose an unleashed dog owner thinks he has voice control and that dog is running at me. All the while he is trying to gain voice control over his dog, I have to take the defense stance until he does or doesn’t.

JeffersonRepub - If someone does not have clear control of their dog, on a leash or behind a fence or in the house, any harm that happens is 100% their fault. You should have pursued this.

If someone’s dog is barking and acting aggressive and on a leash I don’t care because they are leashed. If someone’s dog is barking and acting aggressive (or friendly) and is unleashed then I’m in danger. And that is no acceptable.

Mar '18

Rebecka - LOL!

Mar '18

WG,

I was trying to be a nice guy, meaning they made a mistake in thinking they could recall their dog and that their dog wasn't harmful. The incident showed them the opposite. I was hoping they would learn from the incident, and become better dog owners... and pay the vet bill.

The didn't pay the vet bill or acknowledge anything. At that point, I figured it was too late to call animal control, and since then the dog (and I think the boyfriend) has moved out... I haven't seen the min-pin or him since. (this happened in my own neighborhood, dog left his own yard, out into the street, and bit my dog).

That's what I get for trying to be a nice guy. It won't happen again.

Mar '18

JR. Always get animal control involved. We had a neighbors dog wonder into our yard and run up to our dog not really aggressive but my dog didn’t realize he was coming and got startled and tried to turn and jump away and tore his ACL. We contacted ACO and he mediated between us and got the neighbor to pay half of the vet bills. I’m not sure if the neighbor could have been fined but I know by letting his dog loose he was held accountable. Our dog was on a long runner as we didn’t have a fence.

JellyB JellyB
Mar '18

No one enforces it at all. I run with a camera i turn on and run with anymore. I clip it on and go. This way if a dog knocks me over or runs up from behind it's recorded. As you can read in my previous post i had one run up behind me as i ran and knocked me over as the owner was running yelling he is a nice dog.
I would love to sit down there and sign the complaint for every ticket issued. When they try to fight it, bring in the video as proof.
It's a small $12 camera and the sound and video are a good quality.
Here is the ad for it. Protect yourself.

I love this camera CJ. What’s the brand?
BTW I always move over and stop for the runners at the park with my pups.

Mar '18

When i am running and i see someone with a dog approching me or i approach them, i do my part and stop running as not to spoke them or their dog. Once i am past i continue to run.

You can find it on ebay under lapel camera search.

Just to put a positive spin on this thread. I will point out that the recreation department that maintains the fields and trails down there are doing an absolutely fabulous job. And not just there but all the other fields in town too.

+1 to the crews doing great work. It's so disappointed to go to Riverside Park and see the dog poo piles everywhere near the trailhead... irresponsible people are going to ruin it for everyone, as usual.

I don't see that issue as bad out at Field of Dreams.

Mar '18

Hackettstown rec. department and DPW are without equal!

scottso scottso
Mar '18

I agree the crew keeps the area in very nice condition.

JR, the dog piles are disgraceful for sure. I always thought that if a few trail cams were located at strategic points, it could be fairly easy to catch the inconsiderate slobs. A camera near the beginning of the trailhead to catch the act as well as a camera or two near the parking areas to identify the same offender at a vehicle could capture a license plate. I have looked at the locations and really think it could work if the police had the resources to do so.

I'd buy those cams and donate them if i knew they would be used.

Doesn't DEP have regulations about human and animal waste getting into wet lands? Get them on that too.

CJ .... I'll split the cost, but WHO is going to enforce a REAL penalty? Maybe Town Council can join this thread with a proposal?

twentytwenty
Mar '18

A resident could address the town council during a meeting to at least make them aware of this issue. Then perhaps some official action could be taken.

As part of their Tier A Municipal Stormwater Permit, all municipalities were required to pass a Pet Waste ordinance years ago. From the Hackettstown code:

CHAPTER 6B. PET WASTE
6B-20. Definitions.
For the purpose of this ordinance, the following terms, phrases, words and their derivations shall have the meanings stated herein unless their use in the text of this Chapter clearly demonstrates a different meaning. When not inconsistent with the context, words used in the present tense include the future, words used in the plural number include the singular number, and words used in the singular number include the plural number. The word "shall” is always mandatory and not merely directory.

a. Immediate - shall mean that the pet solid waste is removed at once, without delay.
b. Owner/Keeper - any person who shall possess, maintain, house or harbor any pet or otherwise have custody of any pet, whether or not the owner of such pet.
c. Person - any individual, corporation, company, partnership, firm, association or political subdivision of the State subject to municipal jurisdiction.
d. Pet - a domesticated animal (other then a disability assistance animal) kept for amusement or companionship.
e. Pet Solid Waste - waste matter expelled from the bowels of the pet; excrement
f. Proper Disposal - placement in a designated waste receptacle, or other suitable container, and discarded in a refuse container which is regularly emptied by the municipality or some other refuse collector; or disposal into a system designed to convey domestic sewage for proper treatment and disposal.

6B - 21. Requirement for Disposal.
All pet owners and keepers are required to immediately and properly dispose of their pet's solid waste deposited on any property, public or private, not owned or possessed by that person.

6B -22. Exemptions.
Any owner or keeper who requires the use of a disability assistance animal shall be exempt from the provisions of the section while such animal is being used for that purpose.

6B -23. Enforcement.
The provisions of this chapter shall be enforced by the Town of Hackettstown.

6B -24. Violations and Penalty.
Any person(s) who is found to be in violation of the provisions of this chapter shall be subject to a fine not to exceed $1,000.00.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '18

There are ordinances about a million things, enforcement - ha! If you were at the park and called 911 about the dog poopers you would probably get arrested. Take a video, plate numbers and try to file a complaint - good luck with that. Fact is, people just don't care, the swamp dwelling bureaucrats, police, again - ha. Some years back, people lived on Mitchell Rd who had a oil tank removal business, what did he do, stored the junk tanks and backhoes, etc right in his yard (residential zoned) I complained several time to the H'town zoning guy who did nothing so I complained to the State EPA since the property abutted the hatchery, the state actually came, filed against the guy and also got on the H'town zoning guy for doing nothing, he was po'd, even called me and bitched about it - told him too bad, should have done his job in the first place. Sometimes you just have to go to the right place to complain.

OldSam
Mar '18

Good for you, OldSam!

Mar '18

next town council meeting is Thursday 3/22 at 7pm municipal building.

Jim L Jim L
Mar '18

Hi CJ, My husband and I walk regularly at Alumni Field/Riverside and had an incident yesterday. A person was walking 2 dogs; one leashed and one unleashed. I asked the person to please leash her dog, and she became angry and yelled "Why?" I told her it's the Law and that a sign is posted (which she probably knew.) She yelled something about "ruining her walk." I was not angry; only telling her that the dog should be leashed after she asked Not nicely "Why?" We have twice been told by dog owners in 2 previous incidents "he's friendly." One of those friendly dogs, a large dog, knocked me off my bicycle. In the 2nd incident my husband was attacked by a large dog who was "friendly", and my husband was bit and bleeding and taken to the hospital and needed x-ray (the bite was deep) and stitches. My husband was standing still when this happened, and he is not afraid of dogs of any size. The 2 incidents we had with "friendly dogs" were not at Alumni Field/Riverside Park, but they have resulted in us being more aware/careful around unleashed friendly dogs.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Mar '18

The saga continues.

Today around 4:30 PM my wife and I were at the park with our pack. As we were leaving the river-walk area heading toward the fields by the sandbar and pavilion, we see a repeat offender with his dog roaming around at least 30 yards from him near the footbridge. We moved well off the trail and waited for him to gain control of his dog. The only reason he did hook the dog up I believe was a lady with a dog came from the field behind him and moved passed him. She noted her displeasure with his loose dog to us as she went by. As he and his dog crossed the bridge he walked directly toward my wife and dogs still off the trail speaking baby talk to our dogs. My wife asked him to back up and also to please keep his dog leashed. Well this guy went from zero to 1000 in a blink of an eye. He began yelling are you a blanking cop? He was yelling profanities, threatening me with violence, he made a lewd gesture to my wife, etc. Clearly this guy is unstable. All I kept stating was he must keep the dog leashed as it is unsafe for the dogs and it is the law. I do have the entire episode recorded on my phone.

We did call the police as this event was so bizarre, outrageous, and unnecessary. The guy had left by the time the officer arrived. The officer told us there was nothing he could do unless the guy or his dog actually attacked us or our dogs. We were told we could file a complaint if we wanted. He didn't even want to view the video.

I just want folks to be cautious of a 72 year old man ( he mentioned that several times when he stated he would kick my #@!!% ass.) and his larger black dog. If a person alone happens to mention to him that he needs to leash his dog he may go off again. He could be a danger.

I don’t know know why anyone would not follow the leash law to save themselves from a law suit. If Fido attacks someone’s dog, i would think it could become costly.

Bessie Bessie
Apr '18

Sounds like more signs are needed as this loose dog situation never goes away.

No one knows this guy’s name?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '18

I don't know his name but I do have a flattering 2 minute video of him as well as his car make, model and plate number.

I guess if I see him again and he "puts his %@#$! foot up my ass" I should make a proper introduction! LOL.

I actually feel a bit sorry for him to tell the truth. However he must obey the law though.

Greg, hold my beer and watch this...

Just reading your post infuriated me. I almost want to go down there and wait for an incident like this to happen. I would be happy to sign a complaint. Dor the leash and the outburst disturning the peace.Then come back another day and do the same thing.

To sign a complaint, you’d need the name and address of the offender, right?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '18

The police officer can get that if they get there in time. Or can run the plate and see if the plate matches the description on the registration.

Greg, be sure to report it to the town/mayor make them aware of the situation and perhaps there my be more signs installed and a police presence to enforce the rules.

2 cents 2 cents
Apr '18

I will 2 cents.I plan on attending an upcoming council meeting to inform the mayor and council about the issue. I had planned on it last meeting however I simply could not make it.

I’m no lawyer but isn’t threading someone with physical violence illegal?? That cop seems either lazy or ignorant. That is, unless I’m ignorant and menacing someone with violence is legal. Anyone?

Consigliere
Apr '18

Greg, you should show the video at the town hall meeting and inform them that the cop did nothing. That is BS!

And I believe threatening physical harm is illegal.

http://www.plea.org/legal_resources/?a=303

Jesse341 Jesse341
Apr '18

I was thinking that as well, Consigliere. That's why I really wanted the officer to at least view the video. It was very clear that this guy meant business. However the officer said "what for? There is nothing I can do". Only if I want to file a complaint will the video evidence be needed I gather. As a matter of fact, he suggested that if we feel unsafe there perhaps WE should find another place to walk our dogs in order not to have anything happen. Naturally I find that 1000% out of the question. I will not be inconvenienced or sacrifice the peaceful enjoyment of a great facility in our town because some inconsiderate fool won't follow the law and be respectful of others. I do understand the officers plight as he stated the amount of people all over town with dogs running is an issue.As he stated they have other more pressing crimes and such to deal with. I agree totally with that except I feel if they actually dropped the hammer on these scoff laws and hit them with fines, it will be a deterrent.

You can bet your bottom if you told that cop you were going to “kick his #%%^ a$$” you would have been arrested and charged with threading an officer. So, again, I’m not sure why this wasn’t taken seriously.

Consigliere
Apr '18

“he suggested that if we feel unsafe there perhaps WE should find another place to walk...Naturally I find that 1000% out of the question. I will not be inconvenienced or sacrifice the peaceful enjoyment of a great facility in our town because some inconsiderate fool won't follow the law and be respectful of others.”

That right there is the perfect answer to give people when they tell women shouldn’t be walking in certain places because if they get attacked its their fault and that they wshould go somewhere else !

DevilsFan1 DevilsFan1
Apr '18

Sounds like we need to have a "take back our parks from bad pet owners" walk.

This is a town owned, multi purpose recreation facility, and all.posted rules should be enforced! If there were reports of people drinking alcohol down there, the police would be on it in a minute!

Deviljet
Apr '18

Deviljet, i agree! If the sign says that dogs must be leashed, that’s all you need to know. Why should other people not be able to use the field because of people that don’t obey the rules!

Bessie Bessie
Apr '18

This guy sounds like the type that wouldn’t give two hoots what the sign says.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '18

Great income source if some tickets were issued, doesn't even have to be given by a cop. We have someone that issues parking tickets, why can't someone walk the parks and give out doggie tickets?
Heck, I volunteer!

Really??? Really???
Apr '18

i have to admit, i walk the fields almost each weekend. with my dogs. if it truly knew no one was around, i would take them off leash. but i can't see through the trees and around the curves, so they're always on a leash. its a great park and a great path, and i dont want to lose the privilege of using it. please, people, be considerate of others.

ken e
Apr '18

People will be at the park in droves this weekend because of the nice weather.

Would be a perfect time to set an example and write some tickets.

Word would get around pretty fast.

Really??? Really???
Apr '18

Excellent point, Really???.

Yessss, loose dogs on empty soccer fields while little kids baseball practice is going on. Gotta love it.

Follow the rules Follow the rules
Apr '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.