Recommendations for a TV Repair Company

Hi everyone!

We purchased a very expensive 75 "Sony TV at Best Buy almost 3 years ago. However, we were idiots and purchased a floor model. I tried to get them down on price, and they did come down a little. We also purchased a 65" Samsung. When we checked out, nobody gave us info on an extended warranty/service plan, and I didn't even think of it.

I called Best Buy's Geek Squad, and I was told as of September, they don't come out to people that don't have the service plan with them even though we bought the TVs there. I was livid! I then went on their website and typed up a complaint.

The 75" will not come on now, an we need recommendations on a company that would come out and service it. Any suggestions! Thanks for your input! Very frustrated and will now not ever go back to Best Buy!

Dog Mom Dog Mom
Nov '18

Looks like you’re buying a new tv. I would recommend a non-floor model.

Enjoy Enjoy
Nov '18

Waste Management will solve your problem.

Stymie Stymie
Nov '18

Sorry, i don't have a recommended repair place.

But it might be the power supply board/module. There are only a few boards in the large flat screens. A power supply board, a video board and another to handle the other aspects (tuning, audio, wifi, etc.)

It probably takes more time to take all of the screws out than to replace the boards.

The problem is, the parts and labor add up to a percentage of the cost of a new set that it's hardly worth it.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Nov '18

You would be surprised what information you can find on the web. I would Google your problem along with the make and model of the TV and see what you can find. You may locate a YouTube video on how to fix the problem. I think it’s at least worth a shot. There are a lot of very honest, professional and informative videos that can be very helpful.…… it’s at least worth a shot before you throw the TV out. .....Good luck!

TheSoundGuy TheSoundGuy
Nov '18

You can get a 55inch for $199 on Black Friday

Nosila Nosila
Nov '18

I have had 2 very negative experiences at Best Buy and will never go into that store again. But with the cost of televisions becoming so much more affordable, having someone come out to fix your TV would probably not be cost effective. Perhaps as was suggested, you could diagnose and repair yourself.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Nov '18

What exactly is the problem with the TV? As someone suggested, maybe you can search and find an easy fix. That would be ideal. On the other hand, it's never a good idea to fix something you plug in. They're so cheap, especially at Walmart. Merry early Christmas.

Depending on a problem with your TV, it may be possible to repair it with a simple board replacement, which you can order online for $40-$50 or even replacing some components on a board. Recently I repaired TV, by replacing 2 capacitors on a power supply board and another TV by removing a short on a HDMI connector, but everything depends on your TV failure. Some failures is not reasonable to repair, because of low prices on new TVs. If you give more information on what happened with your TV you can get a better advice is it worth to repair and how much it can be
to fix

The repairs if possible are costly and come with 90 days or less guarantee. Throw it out and buy a new one.

I also recently repaired an LED TV. Understanding the issue would help diagnose the problem.Some TV's have a diagnostic code that flashes the "on" indicator light.

Most folks would not be able to or don't feel comfortable troubleshooting a TV themselves. Opening up the TV and using a multi meter takes a certain skill set. Sometimes you get lucky and can spot the capacitors that fail if you know what and where to look if that is even the issue of course. Most failures can be repaired once diagnosed correctly though.

Unfortunately a service call in addition to whatever parts needed may make it not very cost effective.

google your model and issue. I'd bet a 2 dollars that there are several people that had the same issue as you. Might be an easy fix for a DIY'er.

not sack
Nov '18

Never used them but there's Electric Service Unlimited on spring street in Newton. They do some TVs.
https://electronicsserviceunlimited.business.site/

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Nov '18

Maybe the Electronics class in one of the colleges or high schools would want to try to fix it for you, as a class project (if you can't find the remedy yourself)?

Hackresident Hackresident
Nov '18

Buying a floor model does not make you an idiot, not by a long shot. I have done the same and had extremely good luck that way, it was just a roll of the dice, and the same thing could have happened with a new in box item.

I know it sounds silly, but are the batteries in the remote good, and did you check the polarity of the batteries? Just to cover that base.

If you have given up and don't want to repair it, list it on Craigslist, someone may give you a few dollars for it for parts or repair- put it towards a new one.

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Nov '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.