Bitten By Groundhog

My three dogs just got into a little Saturday morning rumble with the groundhog that lives under one of my sheds. I jumped in to pull the dogs away and naturally I'm the one who gets bit on my finger.. LOL

Nothing serious but it did draw blood for sure. I simply disinfected and put a bandage on. Any thought on if I should do anything else? The groundhog has been around a long time in our yard. I don't think it is rabid or anything but who knows.

The dogs seem OK and the groundhog appeared fine as well.

I would seek medical attention. Groundhogs Carry rabies.

Bentley
Oct '18

Ouch! It sounds like a trip to urgent care in is order.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '18

If the groundhog had attacked you unprovoked, I would be concerned about rabies. Since your dogs attacked it and it was just defending itself, I personally would clean the wound like crazy, bandage it up and be done with it. But that's me.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '18

Definitely a trip to a Doctor.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Oct '18

Absolutely get it looked at., agree with Calico, Urgent Care. May need antibiotics as a precaution..

Make sure that rabies shot is current ---- for you and the dogs...…

Was ground hog acting weird? Probably not from the sound of it, so probably not to worry.

Little #$#$#$3 are tougher than they look. I have nailed em with a rifle, knocked em a few feet in the air and watched them hit the ground running. Like a muscle with teeth. I commend you for jumping in. Me --- not without a big stick.

Get those shots --- ASAP. Emerg. Med in town or something like it.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Oct '18

Go to urgent care today you could get a bad infection from that bite and it can happen fast you may need a tetanus shot if your due for one

Janster Janster
Oct '18

Animal bites can turn extremely infectious very rapidly. My adult son was bitten by a friend’s little dog. Cleaned it at home, but by the next day he had a red streak all the way up his arm and he needed hospitalization.

EweIdjits EweIdjits
Oct '18

You can call your doc or the urgent care center and see if they carry rabies IG and vaccine shots, but I think this is unlikely. I would just head to the ER, personally. They have these shots on hand. Anyone who is bitten by a wild mammal is potentially exposed to rabies, and MUST seek medical attention promptly. Rabies is fatal. Are you willing to roll the dice here, Greg? Other nasty infections are also likely and you may need antibiotics. I love ianimal but ignore his advice here. :-) Speak to a doctor, please!

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '18

"Any thought on if I should do anything else?"

wait until the first full moon and see what happens

Just rub some dirt on it

Booster90 Booster90
Oct '18

Rabies is fatal if left untreated. Head to a real ER to safe.

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Oct '18

Go to ER right away. Better safe than sorry!

Spring fever Spring fever
Oct '18

Time to get the rabies shot. Better safe than sorry and dead.

Absolutely get it looked at.... please.

Jessie
Oct '18

when my dogs got into a fight with a ground hog and lost... the vet gave them rabies shots cause groundhogs can carry Rabies ... please go to er....

dismom dismom
Oct '18

Its not just one shot for rabies....its a series..in your stomach

Bug3
Oct '18

No longer stomach: Additional doses should be administered on days 3, 7, and 14 after the first vaccination. For adults, the vaccination should always be administered intramuscularly in the deltoid area (arm). For children, the anterolateral aspect of the thigh is also acceptable.Sep 24, 2014

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '18

Rabies shots for humans are no longer scary like they used to be. That was YEARS ago. It's now such an easy thing it should be done as a precaution. Tetanus booster should be given too.

It’s given like a flu shot. In the arm. Not a big deal.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '18

It's a tough call. Unfortunately my insurance is awful. The expense of this will be out of pocket. It appears it will easily cost thousands as a co-worker of my wife with great insurance just went through rabies shot treatment and it was about $3800 out pocket after insurance. I can only imagine, even paying the contract rate, what it would be.

I'll try to make some calls tomorrow to see what if anything can be done to mitigate costs but I'm not hopeful.

As ridiculous as it sounds I may have to roll the dice on this one.

That's nuts...what do they pay for an ER emergency visit? Also Walgreens gives pre-exposure rabies vaccines- may also give post exposure and I've been told some can be covered by insurance----

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '18

Pre exposure is elective. Post exposure is not.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '18

Anybody know how to get rid of groundhogs? Tried trapping.

Youfriend Youfriend
Oct '18

Capture the groundhog. Have it tested for rabies. If it comes back negative wouldn't you be ok?

auntiel auntiel
Oct '18

Have a groundhog that lives under a shed at neighbors house. Been there for at least 5 to 7 years. Eats my garden and has constant confrontation with my pets. Had to have my little fury baby tested she is fine. U will know if a animal is carrying rabies. Call ur vet or doctor. All im saying if the groundhog is foaming at the mouth thats a problem. Rabies will make a groundhog have lethargy .. most times a groundhog will not be rabid. They dont like to be assertive. A possum on the other hand is very cabable of carrying rabies. Be more aware of a possum they are an oversized rat.

Kikinj Kikinj
Oct '18

Did you learn your lesson from this?

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Oct '18

Greg your fine

Heatking
Oct '18

Next time, throw a tarp over either the groundhog or the dogs. It's easier to split them up that way. A groundhog acting nasty when it is cornered by dogs is normal behavior.

Rabies vaccine will cost you an emergency room
copay 4 or 5 times. Of course, death by rabies would cost more. I hope you are not starting act weird today!

Maja2 Maja2
Oct '18

This is like most restaurant reviews on the forum, from Zero (walk away, no problem) to 100 (you will die later on today, make funeral arrangements )

eapos eapos
Oct '18

We had a groundhog with rabies in our yard when I was a kid. It was confrontational and didn't run away like a healthy one would. My dad ended up bashing its head in with a baseball bat. If it was acting like that then you better get tested. I don't know why you would get that close to one while it's fighting your dogs anyway. That was pretty bold of you.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '18

Please keep us posted, Greg....Worried about you..

joyful joyful
Oct '18

Thank you! I will for sure.

I can say the groundhog has been around our place seemingly for years. We have two that live on our property. We see them all the time. Typically when they are in the yard and we let the dogs out they are 100 plus feet away from the deck and have plenty of time to scamper to safety. Yesterday I was walking to the shed and the dogs were following me. This essentially blocked the way for the groundhog to get back to safety. He was hanging out near my pool and we didn't see him. Poor fellow!

@Kikinj...your info regarding opossums is incorrect. This quote from the FAQs section of opossumsocietyus.org (who knew there was such a thing, lol)

Question: Do opossums carry rabies?

Answer: Any mammal can get rabies. However, the chance of rabies in an opossum is EXTREMELY RARE. This may have something to do with the opossum’s low body temperature (94-97º F) making it difficult for the virus to survive in an opossum’s body.

Side note: Possums eat TICKS...LOTS of them, so please let them alone to do their job!

Brenda Brenda
Oct '18

So what happened? What did Greg do?

Oct '18

Pour ammonia under the shed. Groundhog will move out.
As for the finger.. what was the decision?

hktownie hktownie
Oct '18

After reading the statistics in Warren county regarding infected animals, as well as studying the online resources from the CDC and speaking with the nursing professionals from the insurance company, I'm going to keep the bite clean ( it looks fine today) and assume the critter is disease free. I'll forgo any treatment and hope to hell no one gets to tell me "told you so" later on! LOL.

I do appreciate all of the suggestions and concern. It's always nice to know there are a bunch of friends I haven't met yet here on HL!

You may not be around for someone to tell you “I told you so”

Nosila Nosila
Oct '18

At this point, Greg, although I am not a fan of killing animals, given the circumstances, I would trap the groundhog and have it sent off for rabies testing. We had to do this for a bat which we found in our bedroom one morning. We contacted our vet, who referred us to the local animal control officer. She was very helpful, and we simply took the live bat to her. It is a service offered by the State, if I recall correctly, at *no cost* to you.

Rabies can have a very long incubation period in humans. You would be feeling just fine right now even if you were exposed. (The fact that it would cost you so much out-of-pocket to get the shots makes me so upset-- just another sign of how messed up our healthcare system is.) Knowing the animal is rabies-free would certainly put my mind at ease if I were you. And if he tests positive, well obviously you would get treatment.

And if you want the bite wound looked at gratis by someone who worked as an ER doc for 20 years - please PM me, especially if you develop any sign of infection. :-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '18

Very very rare and they do always exhibit signs - here's some more information: https://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2018/03/which_county_had_the_most_rabid_animals_last_year.html

At the rescue, on a bit by raccoons would send us to the emergency room - though it's very rare that we are bitten at all while caring for young wildlife

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '18

That's exactly the process I initiated this morning with the animal control officer, Rebecka. While I hate to have this "innocent" critter euthanized, It will certainly help put my mind a bit more at ease knowing whether or not it is a carrier of the rabies virus.

Again,statistically it's very doubtful he is infected but hey odds are not definitive. He has been around our place for quite some time. In fact he enjoyed some tasty left over asparagus spears as a snack today!

The wound itself looks excellent. It was a small bite on my finger. I guess one good take away from the accident I suffered a few years ago when I amputated the end of another finger was how to thoroughly clean and maintain a clean injury site. It's not painful, swollen or discolored at all. In fact if the cut was caused any other way I would not even have a bandage on it any longer. In this case I'd rather keep it covered with the appropriate antibacterial applied. I truly appreciate your kind offer though!

As an aside, I have watched the rabbit scene from Monty Python a few times as we now call the groundhog- The Killer! LOL I would post the link to the scene but it is a bit graphic for some. Funny though...

If Greg lived in Canada, Europe or Japan the vaccine would be covered by universal healthcare. If Greg were a senior citizen it would be covered by Medicare. If Greg were broke it would be covered by Medicaid. If Greg were rich it would be covered by his health insurance.
Greg is middle class in America. Trump could have fixed this and did not. Clinton did not fix this. Bush did not fix this. Carter did not fix this. Middle class American, assume the position...

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Oct '18

You forgot one, if Greg was in this country illegally you and I would be covering it.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '18

He was close enough, he still is insinuating that people should get stuff for 'free' based on the hard work (taxes) of others....

Calico, you are so right. I did forget that one. And no insinuation, Josh, just stating the facts, and not saying someone should get healthcare for free. An 18 year old working, yes working, and being taxed for that hard work, is putting money into Medicare, which is going broke by the minute, and that they will not be collecting from. So the facts are that a Medicare patient is getting benefits from younger people and getting that benefit "free." Are you ok with this Josh?

Let's not forget that drug prices are not negotiated by Medicare, jacking up the profits even more, and costing Seniors (and the youth supporting them through their "hard work and taxes") even more. Are you ok with this as well Josh?

Trump touts plan to lower drug costs but rejects Medicare negotiations:
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/05/10/trumps-drug-prices-532682

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Oct '18

I'm not ok with anyone getting something they didn't work for.

I am not ok with taking money from someone that works to give it to someone that doesn't.

If someone wants to feel charitable and help a cause or donate that is an option. Forced theft under the guise of helping community is still theft...

The system is broken and there is no fixing it unfortunately. Too big, and too many people making the decisions for their own best interest while smiling to everyone's face.

Been this way for generations though, so I don't believe it is a doomsday scenario.

Yea it is getting worse, but we will survive.

NO I don't want to live in a country where kids get 'free college', where people get 'free heathcare'....just like I despise the commercials for 'debt forgiveness' regardless if it is a credit card, student loan, car loan... earn your keep, pay your bills.

If the 'country' wants to give free anything, then the people should be required mandatory service to the country in some way to earn it. Doesn't have to be military.

Want government benefits? Ok- spend several years sacrificing to the country voluntary- military, teacher, doctor, nurse, road construction, mail man, politicians, I don't care- but do it for dirt pay, actually sacrifice and earn it. Complete that- get on the 'good' list. Skip it (free country after all) and go fend for yourself.

And since I am typing- pay for schools exclusively by taxing children's items a few pennies. Problem solved.

Well, that de-escalated quickly. Hope you’re doing ok, Greg.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '18

"And since I am typing- pay for schools exclusively by taxing children's items a few pennies. Problem solved."

So you think it's ok for someone who leeched a free education to get off scot-free without paying it forward just because he decided not to have children himself? Fine. Then he has to pay into social security his whole life and is not allowed to collect when he retires because he has no educated progeny paying into it. Fair?

ianimal ianimal
Oct '18

“who leeched a free education”

To be more accurate, that education is mandated, is it not? And couldn’t it also be said that his parents paid for it while he was in school?

justintime justintime
Oct '18

Don't worry about me animal, went to private grade school because my parents thought it would be better education. So they paid school taxes for the other people's kids, not me.

Then I dropped out freshman year of public high school. Saved you lots of money there as well.

Also served in the Army...

So yea- I don't owe anyone anything.

Really People ?? LOL Is this Ferocious Groundhog from Punxsutawney ? They are harmless

LittleRascal LittleRascal
Oct '18

I would not say harmless, LR. Sure not a predator but when in a tussle with other animals they do have claws and teeth and use them. It's a survival instinct.

The issue as many have noted was the fact that they can carry rabies as well as other diseases. As an aside, Jerry Lee (The Killer) will be tested for the virus.

I should clarify. My choice to forego precautionary treatment was because I felt there was a very minimal chance I was exposed to rabies in this case. It would be a few thousands dollars spent for most likely no good reason in my opinion. Now if it was an animal that acted ill or was an animal that typically carries the virus, I would not have hesitated to get the shots. I just couldn't justify spending a few thousand just in case.

As mentioned above, the cost and the state of healthcare in this country is absurd and broken. Clearly some folks from various walks of life here in the US have an "advantage" if you will in getting healthcare and other benefits that are available. As far as me- as noted I'm just a middle class schmuck trying get by and have a few laughs along the way.

I’m considered middle class, my saving grace is I have a small employer (less than 40 people) that pays a large portion of my health insurance. I’m very grateful for that.

Bessie Bessie
Oct '18

Can't even talk about a groundhog bite without it getting political. LMAO...

Metsman Metsman
Oct '18

Greg- hope you are feeling better!!!

"that education is mandated, is it not? " Ask Mets; he's trying to mandate Iman so I bet he knows :>)

"Really People ?? LOL Is this Ferocious Groundhog from Punxsutawney ? They are harmless.": The year is around 1985 when an 70-year old women was attacked by a rabid groundhog. She could not get it off her and had to jump in a pond and drown it to make it stop. So yeah, really. Very low number, but it happens.

Greg --- sounds like a plan to me. As for health care -- we know the answer. Either fix ObamaCare or replace it. Either is do-able. Meanwhile, without getting into it, the assumptions on Medicare are inaccurate. Medicare funding is complex and stupid. But parts B and D are funded from the General Fund so they basically can't go bankrupt until the US goes bankrupt. Stupid way to fund. B and D are doctors and scripts I think. Part A is the trust fund scheduled to tank about 2026. This is for hospital. However, at that point payments will cover, like 83 or 88% meaning taxpayers would, after Congress treats A like B and D, would be on the hook for 12% extra a year. OR if Congress would act now, I think the 1.45% Medicare tax you currently pay would rise to 1.77% given companies still pitch in at the same ratio. Still doesn't fix the stupid part B and D funding structure.

The Medicare and SS trust fund situations and fixes are some of the stupidest stupidities that Congress has ever foisted on the American public. If we just had a nickel for every debate, they would be fully funded by now.

Meanwhile, and all you righties gonna love this one:

"The CBO report said the ACA reduced the budget deficit by $143 billion between 2010-2019." "Reduce Medicare Payments by $335 Billion" I believe these are actual savings. Go figure.

Oct '18

I am well thanks!

I did learn from the ACO today however that groundhogs are actually number 3 on the top five animals that carry rabies. Huh. Who knew? LOL.

He stated that he has documented a few rabid groundhogs this year in Warren county so I'm glad Jerry Lee "agreed" to be tested.

I'll update when the results are in.

Re: Bitten By Groundhog

“"The CBO report said the ACA reduced the budget deficit by $143 billion between 2010-2019." "Reduce Medicare Payments by $335 Billion" I believe these are actual savings. Go figure.”

That statement appears to have been written in 2010 and thus was an estimate, not actual savings. My guess is that it never came to fruition (see below for a CBO update to the estimate). Besides, it also appears that the number included savings from a second bit of legislation at the time (a reconciliation bill?): 124B healthcare bill and 19B from the other.

Updated estimate:
https://www.cbo.gov/publication/45447

justintime justintime
Oct '18

Thanks. I looked pretty hard for date but was on the run so must have missed it. I will mull yours over but since the answer didn’t jump out.....surely probably didn’t meet or exceed. Probably didn’t make it worse either.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Oct '18

If the groundhog is still around, maybe you can catch it , in a have-a-heart trap, and have it tested for rabies. Then you’ll know , rather than putting yourself through shots and/or testing.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Oct '18

Guilty- That's what I am in the midst of. The ACO and the Warren County Health department are on it. He lives under my shed. I saw him this morning when the ACO was here,

If the groundhog is around, you might want to capture it....although live traps don't always work. Shooting might work, but use enough gun and don't go for the head.

If you can observe the little bugger (you are likely familiar with it and know its habits - the under shed thing helps narrow it down) then factor that into your decision. Just call up the NJSDOH and speak to someone who knows about asymptomatic carrier rates among groundhogs.

There may be a fund to help defray the costs of PEP for rabies also....but I've been out of that loop for several years, so I don't know.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Oct '18

Re: Bitten By Groundhog

Just an update. I received word from the Health Department that Jerry Lee tested negative for rabies.

As an aside, I discovered the manufacturer of the rabies vaccine will supply it free of charge. I will need a local infectious disease doctor to administer it. The vaccine comes in a powder form. The treatment is now given in the arm in a series of just four shots. First one then on the 3rd, 7th and 14th day. I am still well within the window of treatment particularly since Jerry Lee was in fact negative.

It's really a bummer that Jerry Lee had to expire in order to learn the results though.

Better him than you.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '18

It's like the witches in the Middle Ages - they had to kill them to discover they weren't witches.

"Better him than you."

For sure. Glad you are going to be ok Greg.

You would think, in this day and age, they would be able to do a blood test for rabies. However, I'm no medical expert. Maybe someone can explain why that isn't possible.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '18

And now we know the rest of the story. Thanks greg.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Oct '18

Happy to hear you are okay. Good News!

Mrs. Pipes```` Mrs. Pipes````
Oct '18

Greg, I've been following, as have we all, and am very glad to hear that you are well.

pmnsk pmnsk
Oct '18

Just glad you're okay.

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '18

Thanks all I truly appreciate the kind words!

Glad you’re ok

Bessie Bessie
Oct '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.