Ruby Tuesday Fire

Fire department was dispatched earlier today for a smoke condition in Ruby Tuesday in Mansfield. There is no answer when calling the restaurant tonight. Does anyone know if there was any damage to the building?

Kevin Kevin
Jul '18

I work there, the fire department took down an entire wall and part of the ceiling. Everyone is okay, no one was hurt

Victoria Victoria
Jul '18

Here is a link to the call:

http://www.1strespondernews.com/webpages/news/displaynews.aspx?ID=d45f98d5-f738-4c46-b12f-a048e62015e6

Ruby Tuesday will remain closed until they repair their roof and ceiling. Luckily there was no major structural damage and no injuries occurred. Employees are working hard to get the restaurant running and will post again when the restaurant re-opens.

Jina
Jul '18

Still closed?

eapos eapos
Jul '18

I'm guessing stilled closed as they do not answer the phone.

(908) 852-5210

Opening Saturday...per a Facebook post.

Happycamper Happycamper
Jul '18

Ruby Tuesday is open today!!! Saturday July 28th....3 course meal for 12.99!!

Jina
Jul '18

Special price on the Smokehouse Burger ?

eapos eapos
Jul '18

Ruby Tuesdays is permanently closed.

LocalNeighbor LocalNeighbor
Aug '18

I just ate there last night.

Sunburst Sunburst
Aug '18

Really? They just posted job openings 5 days ago.

happiest girl
Aug '18

doesn't come up on main website for 'locations'. did it before?

We drove by tonight, the signs are covered and the lights were off.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Aug '18

They are closed, they gave away their cooking equipment today to local restaurants..

Lees3angels
Aug '18

looks like that wasn't the only one suddenly closed

http://wobm.com/howell-ruby-tuesday-suddenly-closes-surprising-staff/

https://www.google.com/search?q=ruby+tuesday+closing&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

https://patch.com/new-jersey/bridgewater/bridgewater-ruby-tuesday-abruptly-closes

Bridgewater's location closed suddenly as well

Jim L Jim L
Aug '18

I wonder where the liquor license will go

Bug3
Aug '18

While I don't want to hear of folks losing their jobs, am I the only one thinking of Lynyrd Skynyrd"s song Tuesday's Gone?

https://patch.com/new-jersey/hackettstown/ruby-tuesday-hackettstown-closes-good

looks like they were bought by a private equity firm who is closing unprofitable locations - apparently they also failed to file a "WARN notice with the state of New Jersey, which is required for businesses laying off 50 or more employees."

skippy skippy
Aug '18

They've been closing restaurants for awhile. The one in Ledgewood has been closed for some time now.

Metsman Metsman
Aug '18

"they also failed to file a "WARN notice with the state of New Jersey, which is required for businesses laying off 50 or more employees."

"Failed" to file, or "not required" to file?
Depends on how many employees they actually had at each location.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Aug '18

This does not really come as a surprise..

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Aug '18

dunno - got that from the article

skippy skippy
Aug '18

I'm surprised that the one in Pohatcong didn't close... or maybe it did, and no one's noticed yet.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '18

Not profitable? We rarely ate there, but the lot always seemed pretty full, especially thurs-fri-sat. Maybe not as packed as Applebee's (which we also rarely visit), who's lot seems packed most of the time.

I just hope the building doesn't just sit there empty. Way too much of that going on these days.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Aug '18

Sorry for those that lost jobs, but lousy chain food, and with a few exceptions horrible customer service from top to bottom. Hopefully something decent opens there.

Denis Denis
Aug '18

I agree no big loss. Just another adult fast food chain.

Timing is everything, just got my Free Birthday Burger E-Mail today

eapos eapos
Aug '18

as for the liquor license, it will most likely be sold with the building. I can't see them selling it on its own. It's in a pretty good spot so hopefully it's not vacant for too long.

I can see a Red Robin or a BW3s moving in there and being successful... just no olive garden please lol

Jim L Jim L
Aug '18

Red Robin would be great! They are usually bigger than that building is, tho.

(of course they could demo Ruby's & build new)

Aug '18

Popeyes chicken would be nice

lovethatpopeyes lovethatpopeyes
Aug '18

The one in Phillipsburg is open.

happycamper happycamper
Aug '18

I don't know JR, the Red Robin at the Rockaway mall does seem that much different in size. does it?

The place is too big for a fast food

Jim L Jim L
Aug '18

Whatever happened to OMG Burger @ Schooley's Mountain Inn? Has it opened yet?

ianimal ianimal
Aug '18

OMG Burger isn’t going to open till October, I read.

Oooyou
Aug '18

OMG is getting there... I think they said October opening last time I looked on FB.

They will also have a "take-away" window (not sure how this differs from a drive-thru, I guess you call in your order ahead?)

Aug '18

There's an Oktoberfest sign out in front of OMG. I'm not sure they're going to make that. The building might be ready. Might be. But I think the inspections will take too long.

I worked at the ruby tuesdays that used to be in woodbridge. That's how corporate does it, close overnight. In order to get under the Warn rule, they let go of a few people a few weeks earlier to get under 50 people. In August 2016, on a August Saturday night we were open, corporate called an all hands meeting sunday morning and said "we're not opening. this location is closed. Good luck with your careers and life"

I have not eaten at their restaurant since after the way they treated us.

gzellf gzellf
Aug '18

lovethatpopeyes

I'm not sure if you know it or not, but you can get your Popeyes fix just on the East side of Dover in the front part of the Shop Rite Mall that's off Rt 46E.

By the way, for us map and geography location nuts, I know it's just referred to as Dover, but is technically in Rockaway Township due to its strange borders;-)

gzellf

Sorry to hear they'd done that to you and others. That's ethically & morally bankrupt behavior IMHO. I can understand a businesses need to be sure to protect the assets from disgruntled employees that would be there for their last two weeks and MAY steal or damage things, but that just goes to show how little they respected their employees to begin with.

If they had hired and trained and supported good people (which I'm sure the vast majority are), then they should do right by those folks who have served them and helped to build their brand. Apparently, they know that they haven't been serving & supporting their employees well enough that they (corporate) would have nothing to fear of any kind of retribution, except for perhaps an oddball here or there.

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '18

Support locally owned restaurants, not corporate greed.

YeahRight YeahRight
Aug '18

Ian

Of course likely not at 6 weeks out, but perhaps at 2 weeks out it perhaps would be more fair to the employees involved. I mean employers DO ask for a 2 week notice before you leave the job. They don't always get it, but most people I believe do give them proper notice, especially if the employer has been fair to the employee. Ethically and morally that's the way for the employee to act (unless there are extenuating circumstances. As I mentioned above, giving notice in order to part ways on an amicable basis and allow people that don't wish to wait (or for that matter can't afford to wait) for unemployment benefits to kick in an opportunity to get themselves (meaning their resume or application or interviews in their off hours) out there with other establishments so that they can hopefully move seamlessly from one opportunity to another.

Certainly DJ's (volunteers, no less) being thrown out and locked out of a radio station is a bit of a parallel, though not exactly the same. Yes, I definitely agree that it's a Catch-22, but while there may be some people that may quit immediately upon finding out the news, a general meeting at each location, explaining the circumstances and perhaps even offering an incentive for those who would choose to stay on until the end would at least show that they respect the work that the employees did and the employees themselves. I've seen cases (my ex was involved in a couple) where that worked pretty well and there wasn't employee backlash and they didn't feel as though the years they put in were for naught. Usually people transition to another position much easier and have a better attitude during interviews because they don't go on about how those last SOB's F'd them over.

No prospective employer wishes to hear that and virtually every time will blacklist a job candidate because of that. I worked in retail for a decent number of years, including in management and so did my ex, so I have both her and my years of observation and experience to go on, so I'm not just talking out of my rooty-tooty place. Indeed it's a tough position all around but in many cases what could be set up as small incentive packages is a fraction of what bonuses upper management is paying out to themselves before "the house burns down".

I think both sides should treat each other with respect and fairness. Much more gets done that way and I believe people are better for it.

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '18

gotta wonder why they even bothered to fix it after the fire.

Very good points, Phil. I think you're right that they should have given their employees the same two weeks notice that they would ask in return.

That's what I was thinking, Whip... of course, insurance probably paid to fix it and I'm sure they intend to actually sell the building... so there's that (-;

ianimal ianimal
Aug '18

I think it's closed

GrandAveGirl GrandAveGirl
Aug '18

The moral way to get an employee to stay until the end is to offer a bonus. For local wait staff, I'm sure it wouldn't cost much. They can have a job lined up that starts at the end of their employment.

maja2 maja2
Sep '18

What was the main reason for the closure?

Company going under

Bug3
Jan '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.