Paving Company

Has anyone used J Pip’s Paving Company for residential driveway paving? Looking for reviews

Don’t know much about them. Do yourself a favor though... Get 3 estimates and ask each contractor a bunch of questions... Also if one of the estimates is much lower than the others there is a reason(you r probably getting screwed).. Hope that helps..

Mr. Tone Mr. Tone
Jun '18

Check references! A good job is in the prep which you won't see when the job is done but the driveway will fail much sooner when done wrong. And check references of driveways that are at least one Winter old.

I've never heard of J Pip. I recommend Layman's Contracting. Tom does great work. 908-453-2275.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '18

The above suggestions are excellent (getting three estimates, and checking references.) We have used Scenic Paving in LV for both driveways and been very pleased. Harrington in LV is very good as well. Both companies have been around a long time. Good luck in your research!

LVMomOfBoys LVMomOfBoys
Jun '18

Actually looking at having my driveway done as well. I share a driveway with my neighbor who recently received 3 estimates. Has anyone heard of Cole Paving? Apparently they gave the best price. My main issue with them right now is, I have called many times to try and speak with someone regarding the estimate, and have yet to actually speak with someone. Any words of wisdom for someone who really doesn't even want to spend the money to have the driveway done...?!?!

Yessss
Jun '18

Scenic never calls back and Harrington is extremely expensive (I'm sure they do a nice job). We used A&S and were very satisfied.

LJRubi LJRubi
Jun '18

Harrington is way overpriced. We used J Pip and were very pleased.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '18

Hicks did ours 3 years ago and srill looks good. Full pull up and removal of the old one and repave. Did a great job, good price and came back to seal it 6 months later. Most quotes i got were within 500 of each other except one that came in 3k higher

Used Scenic. They were slightly less than Harrington. I also liked that they stripped off the old driveway, added stone where needed, rolled it, and then let it sit for a week to let rain firm it up before paving it. Ours is five years old and holding up great.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jun '18

Charlie’s paving and they are local

John Harrington the best

Awesome Awesome
Jun '18

What kind of per square foot pricing are we talking here.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Jun '18

I recommend looking up the horrible reviews for Charlie's paving. Wish we did before we used them. Never again

Just me Just me
Jun '18

I've heard of JPips paving but don't have any personal experience with them. I've seen them advertise in the Treasure Hunt magazine. I believe they're based out of Phillipsburg.

Lenny Rock Lenny Rock
Jun '18

Don’t use Charlie’s. My parents used them and they did the crappiest job you can imagine. Said you don’t need to rip up the old stuff and paved right over it. Needless to say the driveway is a year old and is falling apart.

Enjoy Enjoy
Jun '18

We’ve never had a problem with Charlie’s and know several people who have used them and had no complaints,,

Thumbs down for Charlie's paving too. We also used them and it was a horrible job! Wish I read there reviews first .

Just me Just me
Jun '18

Unnamed company paved my driveway 2 years ago. Noticed it cracked. Should they be responsible at this point to come patch it? I know weather may cause this but two years?

Driveway Driveway
Jan '19

Whoever you decide to use make sure they put down a good amount stone first and compress it. Make sure its included in their estimate. I had an outfit stop by my house one day claiming they had leftover material and asked if I wanted anything done at a low price. Stupid me I watched as they put down a small amount of stone and reshuffled what stone was on the driveway already and then they paved over it. A month later a friend stopped by and parked his pickup truck in the driveway. When he left several hours later, there were divets where the tires sat. Had to have it all done again later. I had to learn the hard way.

Boobalaa Boobalaa
Jan '19

One thing that is happening with asphalt this year is ground water pressure. Once the cold started the water had knowwhere to go but up through the asphalt even if it was done correctly. Water and frozen water will always find the easiest route to escape.

Awesome Awesome
Jan '19

I used pips paving 10 years ago . Driveway has held up great , I recommend them

Michael Melo Michael Melo
Jan '19

What's the average price per square foot?

Does anyone have a phone # for scenic paving, or know if they're still in business? They're not listed in the phone book and have no web site. Need to get my driveway repaved. So far the only numbers I've been able to come up with (that were recommended in previous posts) are Layman's and Harrington. I know Harrington is going to be expensive and Layman's hasn't called back yet. I'd like to get 3 estimates anyway. Thanks.

At least last time I checked Scenic was (908) 876-3030. Simple Google search confirms that.

Thanks GC I did the google search but the Hillside NJ address threw me off. I thought they were in Long Valley. They also have different phone numbers now but they are 908 numbers so maybe they just moved their yard to Hillside. Thanks again.

I'm going to need to have my driveway redone in the relatively near future.

I moved in when the house was 4-5 years old and about a year later I started to notice a crack. Then it spread. Then more cracks. Every year.

I don't know what a driveway costs, but if I have it repaved and notice cracks in another 4-5 years I will not be happy.

Considering looking into concrete or maybe cobble.

We used hicks paving and were pleased with price and service. @ josh if you are concerned with cracking the concrete will be no positive alternative. Pavers while more expensive would probably be one of the few alternatives that you may stay away from cracks.

Apparently Scenic paving in Long Valley is retired or semi-retired. I talked to Scenic paving in Hillside NJ and Patrick said they were cousins or something of the LV Scenic. It seems all the positive reviews on HL were for the LV scenic. Has anybody used or heard anything about the Hillside NJ Scenic Paving?

Call Charlie's Paving on Hope Great Meadows Rd. They did a fantastic job on my driveway. I highly recommend them!

NY 56 NY 56
Jul '19

CH Washington best service and prices!

big sports fan big sports fan
Jul '19

Can anyone provide the # for PIP? And also your experience. Thanks in advance

I had Scenic (AR Coletta) paving do my driveway 2 years ago. While the driveway looks great I’ve been trying to get in touch with them for the last year because water is backing up into the garage every time it rains/snows. Guess his retirement means I won’t be using them to find a fix for the water backup into the garage. Ugh!

Greeneyeddi Greeneyeddi
Oct '19

STAY AWAY FROM HARRINGTON

Stymie Stymie
Oct '19

“STAY AWAY FROM HARRINGTON”

YMMV. I have the exact opposite recommendation...

justintime justintime
Oct '19

We just used Layman's in Oxford, NJ...908-453-2275. Nice job. They took out our 40yr old driveway and repaved. Our house sits below road level, they graded perfectly, no water in garage.

Wonderful One Wonderful One
Oct '19

Wonderful One-
Did they give you a good price for the job?

LivingLifeLovingLife LivingLifeLovingLife
Oct '19

Layman's has very fair pricing and Tom is great to work with.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '19

Has anyone used Burd paving? Had a coupon months ago, but it has mysteriously disappeared.

USAfirst USAfirst
Oct '19

Living Life, we got two quotes. Layman's was a little higher, but I knew of Tom's work and experience.

Wonderful One Wonderful One
Oct '19

Hicks did ours several years ago ..they did it before we had rain after assuring me it would be ok. Well the rain splattered all the asphalt onto my white garage doors and then one of the younger workers said that my garage door already had the black on it . They eventually cleaned the bathroom doors.

NJatheart NJatheart
Oct '19

Stymie, What's the issue with Harrington? I got an estimate from them and am considering them. The company seems very professional. Some have said they are expensive, but I'm hoping in this case you get what you pay for.

Lawsuit.

Stymie Stymie
Oct '19

Stymie, when was your lawsuit? Maybe they are better

Sport
Oct '19

Vaughns Paving and Seal coating. Highly recommend.

Momof6 Momof6
Oct '19

Pip’s paving in Philips burg family run, great job, professional and reasonable price

Elsie Elsie
Oct '19

The best are Harrington and Bob Burd. Have been in business for 30 years and never had an issue.

Awesome Awesome
Oct '19

Buyer beware
https://wrnjradio.com/bbb-scam-alert-need-a-new-driveway-look-out-for-asphalt-paving-scams/?fbclid=IwAR2xzWFsAuzznUiQ-Vr__nOvwaXD3UE7UdX_91FA6KV0aRCRGhXSsb9lhXQ

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '20

Just do the reverse scam. Find 3 of your neighbors that want driveways and you can get a great deal if you do them all at the same time.

It's not really a "scam" but it worked well for a group of us.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Jul '20

Just had Harrington do a BIG driveway for us and they did a terrific job. Don't know about the price, but we think they did a great job.

USAfirst USAfirst
Jul '20

Read all the posts ... seems everyone has different experiences from all the local pavers...

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Aug '20

Both laymans and scenic are listed as permanently closed online. A friend recommended Henry Paving out of Washington. Has anyone ever used them?

Consigliere
Apr '22

Consigliere, I got a lot of estimates and one from Henrys! Who happens to be Hicks paving, I was told not to use any of the Hicks! I ended up going with Noce’s paving! It was a very price and he did an awesome job !!! His number is 908-736-4050 ..His name is Jon

Havaclue17 Havaclue17
Apr '22

Thanks for that. So Hicks, Henry, Ch and Charlie’s are all related? So crazy…

Consigliere
Apr '22

Havaclue17, just called and left a message. I’ll follow up here after I get a few prices and feel out the companies. I would like to find out more about the hicks/Henry relationship and why some are so quick to shoot them down while others swear by them. I looked up reviews on Noce’s and they are the only local company on yelp with 5/5 stars. Seems promising. Thanks again.

Consigliere
Apr '22

Consig … that is correct they are all related …

Apr '22

Consigliere , you are Welcome..He’s a super nice guy..He did a beautiful job! Tell him I gave you his number..Let me know how it goes. I definitely did my homework and got like 10 estimates!

Havaclue17 Havaclue17
Apr '22

Avoid Harrington like the plague.

Stymie Stymie
Apr '22

I was quite pleased with Harringtons work and their price, had no issues with them.
Drive way came out beautifully, used them last fall.

Had Enough Had Enough
Apr '22

As far as Layman's Paving out of Oxford, the owner passed away a year ago. The company is no more.

Lenny Rock Lenny Rock
Apr '22

Noce’s paving. , they did Cochran’s Funeral in Hackettstown,

Just wondering……what does a standard driveway job usually run?

D-ManPV D-ManPV
May '22

I was quoted 8k for a full tear out regrade and new blacktop … all pavers were about the same price.

May '22

I used All Image Asphalt. They were the company I found when I was searching for Layman's last year and discovered that the owner had died & they were now closed. I had my old asphalt completely removed and a new driveway installed for less than $5800.00 last June. Nice job. Done in basically half a day.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
May '22

Liberty and Lonesome... to give a perspective could you guess an average square foot for the prices you had gotten? Thanks!

Also on a bit of different note ..does anyone know if blacktop driveways are taxed? I would think not but covering all bases...

Grascal
May '22

Recommend Noce's. Do not trust any others, it looks good, and 2 years later you can see they put 1/4 of inch down. Noce's put 3-5 inches on my driveway.

No sales tax on the driveways.

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
May '22

Recently received a quote. The going price per square foot was $3.00 to go over the top of the old driveway or $4.00 to rip out, add stone and grade before paving.

GreatMeadows GreatMeadows
May '22

I definitely recommend Noce's. They weren't the cheapest and they weren't the most expensive out of the estimates we got, but after speaking with Jon about the scope of the job (tear out old parking pad, replace and expand size) we knew they were the "right" company to go with. His approach to the project made me feel like they were committed to doing the job right and not just doing it quick.

TheWs TheWs
May '22

Noces paved my driveway and did a fabulous job. Definitely recommend them.

No taxes but in some "wet" areas with poor soil drainage they will have gravel driveways. If this is your situation, you would want to make sure it does not cause an issue (paving over).

Consigliere - The owner of Layman's passed away about a year ago.

Calico696 Calico696
May '22

Pushing this string up… any new experiences from the local pavers recently. This is the year I finally replace my driveway.

Apr '23

We used All Image Asphalt last Fall and they did a great job with our 450ft long driveway.

Smilingbecs Smilingbecs
Apr '23

Noce's hands-down.

Babbit Babbit
Apr '23

We used Noce’s paving last spring! He did an awesome job and very fair price….

Havaclue17 Havaclue17
Apr '23

Still looking to schedule a paver. Noce’s is at the top of the list but we have a shared private road so getting the other two neighbors on board to split the $19,500 cost has proven difficult. I think they’ll finally be ready next month. I’m “in charge” of the project and got all the estimates and spoke to all the pavers myself. My nightmare is that whoever we hire doesn't do a good job and then I’m the guy the neighbors blame. The road/driveway is very long and two cars wide. The $19,500 is to pave 3” on top of the current driveway. I was given an estimate of $35,000 to rip up and replace.

Consigliere
Apr '23

What's the condition of the driveway currently?

ianimal ianimal
Apr '23

My drive is a full replacement … I want thank all those who replied I will begin making calls shortly for new estimates … 2 years ago it was $8000 from every paver that came to look.

Apr '23

Consigliere….and that’s why the quote is so cheap from Noces. From my understanding driveways should be ripped up before new asphalt is put down. I went with Harrington Construction who was just a few bucks more than Noces, but they ripped up the old driveway first.

Hadenough Hadenough
Apr '23

The driveway had a 2” cap put on about 15 years ago and the top layer is starting to crack. Some areas are perfect, others are starting to lose the top layer. I was assured by Noce’s that a cap was completely acceptable in our case. His exact wording was “a cap will last 10-15 years. A full tear out and replacement would last 15-20 years.

Consigliere
Apr '23

Keep in mind that he's quoting you a price for thickness but he will be paying the plant by the ton. Did he quote you 3" compacted? If so, they should be laying and rolling 4" loose and the guy on the screed should be checking that thickness with the "ski pole" regularly.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '23

I ended up using Hicks Paving last year for my driveway. They are a family run business and did an excellent job at a fair price. They removed all the old driveway, added stone, and put down a minimum of 4 inches compacted to 3. Some areas were slightly more to make it nice and level. No low spots or puddles when it rains. They also had a money mailer add for 5% off the job maybe they still do.

GreatMeadows
Apr '23

Yes, compacted. I don’t expect a uniform 3” because of the undulations and changes in grade (it’s a steep hill with two big turns) but I think anything from 2.5”-3” should suffice. And by “should” I mean “hoping”….

Consigliere
Apr '23

Wait--- so you want a 3rd layer- on top of a cap over an existing very old layer underneath?

No Bueno...

That’s correct. According to Noce’s it’ll last 10-15 years before problems start showing up. Harrington gave me a price for the same job scope for $26,000.

Consigliere
Apr '23

You have to be very careful paving over an existing drive. If the base is not up to snuff, then you will pay the price. Blacktop will "reflect" any imperfections underneath it. Meaning any dips or imperfections will eventually show up on top. If everything is only minor then you shouldn't have any issues.

Mr 4Paws Mr 4Paws
Apr '23

I highly recommend Noces … they just did 3 driveways in my neighborhood

Aug '23

Noces ! still waiting for the sealer to dry . tar all over my house and clothes and dog from a sealer cover job done 2 months ago. And they have been back once to fix the problem that is not fixed. keep looking.

rob the roofer rob the roofer
Aug '23

I highly disagree with recommending Noces.

Aug '23

Noces done me three times over the years, all good. Did sealing and repairs, all spotless. Keep calling, I would be surprised if they can't make this right for you, or better at least. But keep calling, they are pretty good at responding, but this is their season, it is short, they may be making up for last year, --- they should make it right.

I did have some sizeable cracks and they apply a crack filler that is flexible and therefore can move, but I have yet to have it adhere to things like feet and tires, although it has moved and I can see tire tracks. I could see if this was a big crack and near your entrance, there could be problems. But whether I do it myself or have others do it, it goes with the fix and I would rather have have something flexible to stop ice from breaking up the driveway faster. Then again, I have never tracked it anywhere.

Nope, overall great service, great guys, will have them back.

Babbit Babbit
Aug '23

Babbit … I could not agree more … great team cleaned up… professional… they listened and fixed my issue from another local paver who would not return for 15 years that paver is not honest and does stand up for there work. When having paving work done do your research… reviews / word of mouth / recent done jobs and have they held up. Do your own research and form your own opinion.

Aug '23

I did call Noces to repair their first unsatisfactory job . Jon returned to see the problem sent men soon after he reviewed the work that had already been done. My problem is the second try at the job did not solve my initial problem either. I'm not sure about a third try to seal my driveway this is not a complicated job for a paving and driveway sealing company that specializes in driveway paving and sealing.

Aug '23

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Paving Company
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.