Opinions on local gyms?

I'm looking for some feedback/opinions on local gyms for a mom without a lot of time, not looking for intense training, just a place to exercise and get in shape without breaking the bank. Thanks!

Spence Spence
Dec '17

Riverside Health and Fitness on Route 57. No contracts!

Yes, Riverside.
Very Happy there.
Long time member.

Stymie Stymie
Dec '17

I loved the 24 hour gym on Main St across from Pandan. Great price. What’s it called?

HappyTeacher HappyTeacher
Dec '17

i have been member of riverside for over 5 years. no complaints. reasonably priced and has everything you need to get in shape.

Buddy19
Dec '17

Not intense- just exercise?

Buy a basic dumbbell set used off craigslist or a garage sale. That and some sort of basic bench to lie on and you are all set. Back in my apartment days I just lied down on my coffee table.

Overhead press, bench, flies, tricep extension, squats.. tons of basic movements can be done with just some db.

Heck- a lot can be done with just bodyweight- pushup, chrunch, plank, leg lift, grab a chair and do dips with it. Doorway pullup bar are cheap. Cardio? walk, jog, run...

If you don't want 'intense' then there is no need for a gym, or a monthly bill.

@Josh: many people want the gym to be around others who are working out, or for classes.

I am a member of Riverside but even though there is "no contract" I have to give 3 months notice in order to cancel.

Living life boldly.. Living life boldly..
Dec '17

Wait until the new year for the best deals.

Living life boldly.. Living life boldly..
Dec '17

I know. But that is a social reasoning- not directly related to getting in shape other than motivation to go, moral support, etc. Which are all very important but mental not physical.

Given the stated requirements of 'not a lot of time', 'break the bank' and 'not intense'...then simple exercises at home are quick, cheap, effective.

If there were further qualifiers- like minded individuals, companionship, peer pressure to keep moving...well, that changes the basis and therefore the results. :)

@Josh: Well-said. Agreed :-)

look for a Total Gym on craigslist, I have usd them over the years, in your home, easy access if limited time.

Get some cd's or you tube some motivational speeches ..

Good Luck !

Steven Steven
Dec '17

Riverside health & fitness! Extremely clean with tons of equipment and a bunch of classes and there's no contracts or initiation fees. I lost 15 pounds since I joined.

Jimmy62
Dec '17

Don’t join Gold’s. Trying to get out of a contract is a big run around. They also will lock you in to a 18 month contract you can’t cancel. I wish I never got involved with this gym. I’ve heard good things about riverside and wish I listened

Petunia 17 Petunia 17
Dec '17

Riverside

Heidi Heidi
Dec '17

Crunch Fitness is Stanhope is really inexpensive and they offer different plans. I pay only about $25 a month which includes tanning, hydromassage table and all classes. It takes me less than 10 min. to get there from Hackettstown.

Jenn @ Johnson Dodge Jenn @ Johnson Dodge
Dec '17

Golds was bad.Movie room was always out of order. Showers ran ice cold whenever anybody flushed a toilet. Sauna door never shut all the way. I mentioned
But No one fixed anything.
Then they discontinued the free towel service. OUT!
Not worth the $.
Riverside is nice.

thanks everyone!

I think for now I'm going to be you-tubing and dumb-belling - thanks Josh! If I need further motivation, sounds like Riverside is a good option!

Spence Spence
Dec '17

Check out the NJ Better Business Bureau for Complaints for each gym mentioned.

You will be shocked at what some, one in particular, has against them!

Hackresident Hackresident
Dec '17

So it sounds like its achieve 24 versus riverside. Any opinions on achieve 24?

Extra Extra
Jan '18

Is achieve24 the one across from Pandan? Loved it there!!

HappyTeacher HappyTeacher
Jan '18

Definitely would go with riverside. Extremely clean it doesn't even smell like a gym! They have tons of classes and always new equipment. I have been a member for 15 years and each year they have always updated bathrooms, floors equipment ect. They have no contracts too which is great. Everyone is nice it s very non intimidating. Best gym in the area in my opinion.

Thomas
Jan '18

I happen to really like Gold's. Lots of space. Good mix of free weights and other machines, trainers are always helpful and staff is pleasant. Lots of classes ranging from yoga to cardio to Zumba. Yeah, cancelling is a process, but just read the fine print and know their policy.

CookieMonster CookieMonster
Jan '18

Flex Fitness in Panther Valley is less than $43 per month, no contracts.

It is a family-, and senior-citizen-, friendly place and rarely gets crowded unless there is a class going on.

No membership card because when you become a member, they (Brian and Dianne, the owners who are almost always there) recognize you.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Jan '18

I go to flex for 3 weekday classes...friendly group of "mature" women. And good for what ails us or keeps us moving

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '18

Download the Nike Training Club app...free, no contract, workouts range from 15 minutes to 45.

It has yoga(-like), cardio, strength training routines with beginner to advanced levels. Even has a "plan" that helps guide you.

I use the cardio routines as I hate steady state bike/treadmill/etc.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '18

Activate Fitness in Hackettstown, they're awesome.

Lilla Lilla
Jan '18

Thinking about joining Flex. Do they bill monthly? And do they bill at the beginning of your month of membership or at the end of each month that you are a member?

It's been a few months now since this thread began. Just wondering if people feel the same about the gyms mentioned or if there are any others in the area?

I primarily need a gym with a ton of elliptical machines that are in good shape and not constantly out of order. That's essentially all I need it for but Planet Fitness in Succassuna is too far. I'd like to avoid a long contract and I don't want to travel too far out of town.

Is Riverside still the preferred gym? How is Flex? Is Golds Gym still being difficult for those canceling memberships and is the equipment still in mediocre shape?

Anyone know anything about the gym at the hospital? I heard somewhere you can pay to go as long as someone in rehab isn't using the equipment.

Thanks.

SquirrelGirl SquirrelGirl
Jun '18

Gold's is pretty good - lots of machines. Flex fitness needs to seriously update their equipment & weights.

Golds gym is far superior to Flex ..you can actually use a treadmill or elliptical and it doesn’t shake or bang and the connection to the TV works without any interference. I don’t know about any membership problems, but I think most gyms are a bit iffy in that area.

Nature Lover Nature Lover
Jun '18

I like FLEX and have been a member for almost 3 months. I am getting the feeling that they are moving or renovating - just from some conversations I heard while working out. I love it there - but hope that they aren't moving - or if they are that its not too far. If you live in Panther Valley their current location is soooo convenient!

PT2018 PT2018
Jun '18

Golds locked me into a year cancellation. It was very expensive. I have been going to riverside and love it. Very clean and friendly with tons of equipment and classes. I pay month to month with no cancellation fees.

Lucy B
Jun '18

Thoughts on Jazzercise?!?

Lookingtoworkout
Jun '18

I like my morning classes at flex - strength and balance and another called young at heart - they are currently negotiating with the building owner but have a contingency if it doesn't work out - and we were assured it is just 3 minutes away --- good news for those of us in pv that go to flex

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '18

4catmom - Thanks for the info. I really do like going to Flex. I usually can't make the classes during the week due to work schedule but happy with the equipment thus far. I go in, do my work out and leave. My only complaint is there seem to be a lot of folks lately who think its ok to sit on equipment or lean on equipment and carry on a long conversation with other patrons/friends - sometime as long as 15 minutes - while not using the equipment. Its kind of rude - but other than that I enjoy going there.

PT2018 PT2018
Jun '18

PT2018 - don't do classes there either, but you are spot-on about those whose squats seem limited to the ones they do on the equipment while making coffee talk.

The equipment isn't the most optimally maintained, but it is serviceable.

Overall, Flex is a pleasant and conveniently located gym.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Jun '18

Flex is temporarily closed while it gets renovated as well as new equipment. I’m anxiously waiting for my classes to restart....and needless to say looking forward to the renovations.

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '18

Golds movie theater is broken half the time. The sauna door would not shut all the way. Once I was in there and a Golds (cleaning)Employee came in there to yak on her cell phone.

Showers ran ice cold whenever someone flushed.

So I quit Golds.

Riverside is clean, and the people are nice.

Older Mom Older Mom
Sep '18

How much is flex?

Njchia Njchia
Sep '18

Very happy at a Riverside.
Clean as a whistle.
And did I say clean as a whistle?
Many, many classes- spin- yoga-stretch etc
AND- $28 / month.
Can’t beat the value and quality.

Stymie Stymie
Sep '18

Flex is changing owners although the old management will still be involved. Right now they are closed for renovations and the installation of new equipment. No reopening date posted yet.

When joining a gym, read ALL the fine print VERY carefully! I joined a local gym in 2016, and 3 months into my membership, I lost my job. I had to look at all my expenses and reduced my budget as much as I could...except for the gym membership. They did allow me to "freeze" my account for 3 months, but after that I was charged again each month, and my 1 year account was extended to include those 3 months. Then when I went in to cancel (which I had to do in person), I was told there was a cancellation period! (Meanwhile, I had reduced all other expenses while trying to make ends meet with two part time jobs.)

Bottom line...all of this was in the original contract I signed, which, if I had to go back in time, I would have told my past self not to sign. So my fault. But it seems crazy to me that while I was able to cancel my cable and home phone, reduce my flexible spending, and in some cases had to put off bills, something as frivolous as a gym membership couldn't be dropped. (No offense to those who love the gym...but it's a WANT, not a NEED.)

Jersey Girl Jersey Girl
Oct '18

Riverside - $28/mo.
No contracts- no fine print
Works VERY well for me

Stymie Stymie
Oct '18

I'm just rereading some of the posts above, and seeing a comment that Flex doesn't have a contract. Maybe that's new, but that's the gym I referenced in my last post...there was most definitely a contract with little flexibility.

Jersey Girl Jersey Girl
Oct '18

I might reconsider Flex if there's new management. When is that switch taking place?

HLamusesme HLamusesme
Oct '18

I suggest if you want more information, call Flex.......renovations are just starting

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '18

Silly me I forgot that we can't pose questions to other posters on this public forum. Sure I'll just call over and ask...hey when is that creep of a current owner OUT?

HLamusesme HLamusesme
Oct '18

Funny

Stymie Stymie
Oct '18

TODAY, those gym contracts of the past are gone -- remember Bally's 3 year, lifetime LOL.

It is all month to month with a minimal initial registration fee up the cost of a month. Transparency is the key, why have members wonder what others pay. Gyms that don't do this won't be around in the future, period.

With regard to cost, Flex debits my checking account $42.75 per month.

Since I live just over the border in PA, I also have the Snap Fitness option. A bit closer for about the same price ($39.95/month plus tax) with access to their other facilities nationwide, though there is a $99 startup fee.

If Flex doesn't increase their prices, I'll probably stick with them...though Snap does seem to offer a fitness assessment, heart rate belt and a personal training "roadmap"...whatever that is... with membership.

Guess we'll see.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Oct '18

My opinion about Gold's Gym is that it is a fitness museum. The people who work there and work out there are very nice. It is spacious and offers many different classes. Weights and dumbbells are in good condition. The machines are generations behind modern equipment found at other franchises. Time for an update!

D's4
Oct '18

Not too thrilled with the riverside class instructors except for one or two
I was at a class yesterday that is normally packed but since the instructor changed it has dwindled down to 2 people

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Oct '18

My wife and I just joined riverside for 28 bucks a month each with no fees or contracts. We saw their billboard advertisement. So far it's extremely clean and friendly with a ton of machines. We love the kettlebell class and they just got more new Smith machines. I really cant stress how clean they keep this place its amazing.

Mitchell E
Oct '18

Is there an update on Flex Fitness reopening? I have an older friend that goes there and it looks like they are left hanging?

Flex will post when reopening - it will take some time to complete the renovation - there may be an update on their fb page...

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '18

Riverside gym is fine, for the price. The downstairs is clean, but the upstairs fitness class room is dirty. The walls are covered with dust. Exercise equipment could be more organized.

Jasmine Jasmine
Oct '18

Their Facebook page states in late September that there will join Powerhouse Gyms. Still no construction update and the last email was just over 10 days ago. Not very professional IMHO.

There’s an email out re work going on...not sure when the work will be done

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '18

Based upon Facebook it doesn't look promising that they will reopen this year. I know people who have already moved on to other gyms.

Riverside for sure!! Its family owned and operated. The Owners take great pride in their Gym. They have wonderful options for parents who have small children. You can leave them with a staff who are all amazing with my kids! Super duper clean place!

Joeleen Joeleen
Dec '18

What kind of classes does Riverside have for older women? I was unable to find any on their website.

4catmom 4catmom
Dec '18

btw tile contractor truck has been at Flex - so hoping there's real progress.....

4catmom 4catmom
Dec '18

Stopped in and talked to them at gym, the workers are saying by Christmas, they made some really nice changes. Had a big problem with the contractor taking money and not showing up. Its gonna be really nice, just hope its soon!

Momof6 Momof6
Dec '18

4catmom,

They have a lot of different classes and most of them I really love. All the classes are included with your membership. They have a total body blast, cycling class, yoga, turbo, beyond barre, fast fat burn, zumba and a lot more I just cant remember. Go to their website and just press the classes link it has them all their with the days and times they run thats how I know when to go. I joined a few months ago and am really enjoying the entire place.

Scorley
Dec '18

Thanks Scorley but I think these are for much younger women than me -with the exception of yoga which doesn't interest me....

4catmom 4catmom
Dec '18

Check this old thread- http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/416044

The program has moved to the 4th floor of the hospital and the hours aren't extensive, but there is always someone there willing to help you change up your routine or learn a new machine. No pressure, no contract, just people getting/staying healthy.

hktownie hktownie
Dec '18

I like my stretch and balance classes and "young at heart" at Flex - so anxiously waiting for the gym to reopen

4catmom 4catmom
Dec '18

I joined Riverside Gym because of the awesome Zumba classes along with some of the other ones. The instructors have all changed and I’m very unhappy and I think I want to leave. Does anyone know of Zumba classes where you don’t have to join a gym?

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Mar '19

Try Gallery Barre on Main Street.

happycamper happycamper
Mar '19

Thanks happy camper

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Mar '19

I've been going to Achieve for years now. You can't beat the price there. It's all you really need. Unless of course you need a to have a movie theater in the gym to entertain you but that comes at a cost. I've used the personal trainers at Achieve and they are all excellent. Very friendly atmosphere. I also heard some word there today of some things about to change for the better. Didn't get the whole story but everyone was excited there about change. Again, best gym for the buck in the area.

JB400 JB400
Mar '19

+1 JB400 - Achieve has the best trainers!

HLamusesme HLamusesme
Mar '19

What is the price per month at Achieve?

callitlikeIseeit callitlikeIseeit
Mar '19

I believe Achieve is around $20/month. Might be a few dollars more if you want the 24 hr access.

JB400 JB400
Mar '19

24 Gym in Budd Lake. I pay 35 a month, the gym is open every single day. The owner is real nice. It is 18+ gym. So no young teens running around. Never busy. It truly is rare if I have to wait to use something. The busy times are 8-10 and 5-8 weekdays. ALL OTHER TIMES THE MOST YOU'LL SEE IN THE GYM IS 4 PEOPLE.

Goop5 Goop5
Apr '19

Riverside. Membership is $32 after taxes. Membership includes total access to all areas of the gym as well as any of the classes.

Peggy

Peggy J Kreider Peggy J Kreider
Apr '19

Powerhouse Gym in the Panther Valley Mall, no gym around can compare, brand new equipment, beautifully renovated facility, awesome class schedule.

Momof6 Momof6
Apr '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.