HHS Football Playoffs 2017

Great job tonight by the Tigers! They beat Mountain Lakes 35 to 7 inthe first round of the state sectional playoffs. It was a frigid night out there, but winning in the cold sure beats losing in the cold! Keep it up Tigers!

Deviljet
Nov '17

Nice!

Just curious why did Hackettstown change quarterbacks a few weeks ago they started the season with Caputo at the helm but then switched to this new kid. The switch seemed to change their fortunes but I’m just curious to know rwhT happened.

Happy man Happy man
Nov '17

Real Nice go tigers

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Nov '17

Congrats!!!!

Mansfield mama Mansfield mama
Nov '17

It took some time but coach Robinson really was able to turn this team around!! I️ would like to know what is being done differently, I have my theories...
great news and congrats!!!! Tiger pride!!!

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Nov '17

It takes time to build a program. Can’t turn Rome in a day. He’s probably got it turned around now.

btownguy btownguy
Nov '17

Go Tigers! #class of 1986!

Good for the Tigers. I'm pulling for a different team these days, but I half to say that it's nice to see so many of the area high school teams doing well this year. Hackettstown, Belvidere, P'burg, North, and Vorhees all winning their first round games. Good to see playoff teams on THIS side of the state!

What's being done differently ... the line is blocking and the defense makes tackles. Football is not rocket science, it is a game of establishing physical dominance, and you need to work out in the weight room all summer to be good.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '17

But their fortunes seemed to have really changed this year with the switch in quarterbacks. Does anyone know what precipitated the change.

Happy man Happy man
Nov '17

Best of Luck to the Tigers tonight in the Semi final game at Caldwell!

Let's use HL to get as many fans as possible to support the school:

Kickoff: 7PM

James Caldwell High School
265 Westville Ave
West Caldwell, NJ 07006

See you all there!

USS Nathan James
Nov '17

Can you raise the Temperature? LOL

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Nov '17

Go Tigers!

Nice to read something positive on HL.

I'm going to bundle up and go! Who's with me?

Barnacle Bill
Nov '17

Good luck!

Apparently not the student body Barnacle Bill, since the high school had to cancel the fan bus do to lack of interest.

Happy man Happy man
Nov '17

So far the Tigers are winning in the third quarter 41-20! It's a shame that they didn't have the interest in the fan bus.

Magpie Magpie
Nov '17

Tigers just intercepted in the Caldwell end zone! Way to go Tigers! You can listen to the game live on WRNJ.

Magpie Magpie
Nov '17

41-27 now.

Magpie Magpie
Nov '17

Tigers are in their first section final since 1981 ... congrats to the players and coaches. Lots of big breakout plays from that triple option and three big interceptions by the defense. Awesome performance.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '17

Congrats to Hackettstown!!!

Mansfield mama Mansfield mama
Nov '17

AWESOME!!!

Keep choppin!

Another dominant win! Great job Tiger players and coaches! One more!

Deviljet
Nov '17

Thanks for posting Andy. The site wouldn't allow me to give the final score since I had commented too many times with no one else doing so.

Magpie Magpie
Nov '17

ANy chance of the high school running a bus to the meadowlands? That would be a fun way to support our Tigers!

Ziggy Ziggy
Nov '17

They tried to run a bus last night, only 10 students signed up.

Deviljet
Nov '17

Not for students.... for townspeople to support their hometown team !

Ziggy Ziggy
Nov '17

Great job Tigers! Beat Rutherford !!!!!!!!

LittlePiglet LittlePiglet
Nov '17

The game is not necessarily at the meadowlands. Finals are also held at Rutgers and Kean College. Dates and.sites will be announced Monday I believe

Deviljet
Nov '17

RE buses. If I counted correctly Sayerville had four school buses of students, families, and folks. They traveled very well! I'm hoping for buses as well, but we'll see.
Congrats to the Tigers...one of four local teams in the finals!! For those of us of a certain age, it's been a good year for some old DRC teams.

Long ride on a school bus....

Might be better to have Hackettstown Family and Fans tailgate...

Must know that Sayerville is twice the size of HHS. I think the HHS students will have three or four buses going to Championship game! It would be nice to have a bus or two for Tiger Fans also!! Especially if game is played at night

Go Tigers !!!

Nov '17

Suggestion: For those of you who would like to ride a school bus to support the team I suggest you call the athletic director at the school tomorrow and let them know of your interest, otherwise one may not become available.

Magpie Magpie
Nov '17

Oh...I realize that Sayerville, as a Group 4 school, is significantly larger than Hackettstown. My comment was more around the idea that there was obviously a concerted effort by the school to provide transportation to the game. First time I've seen that.

When the Tigers won the Boys Soccer State Championship back in 2014 HHS had four buses full of Tiger Students !!!!

Nov '17

The high school had to cancel the bus to this last playoff game do to lack of interest from the student body, I believe only 10 students signed up for it. I happened to go to the game and other than parents of the children playing the game or cheerleading, The stands were empty. Unfortunately I don’t see that changing fir the next game. Hope I’m wrong.

Happy man Happy man
Nov '17

Sorry to say the kids in this school have zero school spirit or social skills for that matter. My son would have gone but he said all his friends think it’s stupid. They would rather play video games or get high. I know people from other towns and they actually support their friends

I wondered how long it would take someone to take something positive for HHS and the football team, and turn it into a negative.

ML, or Debby Downer, whichever you prefer to go by...Sounds like your son is hanging out with a quality crowd. It's a shame they won't allow him to show his true school spirit.

I hope the students, families, and friends that truly enjoy seeing this team win are able to take part in the game. For the kids and/or parents who would rather do something else, why is that a problem? Does anyone make you do things you don't want to do? If the kids aren't interested in a football game, why should they go? So they can get high at the game?

I will be there supporting a team who has worked their butts off, with AND without students and parents in the stands. The people who mean the most to these players will surely be there as well. As for the folks who don't want to go, leave them to enjoy whatever it is they prefer to do over watching high school football.

Go Tigers.

TripleOption TripleOption
Nov '17

ML - way to blame your son's "friends" for his own behavior. That's one special snowflake you're raising there. My son would have been on the high honor roll, but all his friends said that's stupid!

scottso scottso
Nov '17

They cancelled the bus because hardly anyone showed up. It seems like my son’s “friends “ aren’t the only ones who didn’t want to go. Was my son supposed to walk there ??

He maybe could have gotten a ride from a family member (Mom/Dad?), although his friends definitely would have thought that was stupid.

Nov '17

From what I am hearing, a lot of kids and their families plan on going to Met Life!

mden
Nov '17

They only had 3 days to set up that last bus - now they have almost two weeks. They should also open the bus up to any fan that wants to go.

We have a group of 10+ already going, whenever the game is.

The kids that don't go are missing out on some fun - just look at the way the students mobbed the team after the Warren Hills win and again after the Caldwell win. Great memories for all involved!

ML - watch out for that group your kid is hanging out with. They sound like a bunch of losers who will only drag him down. They remind me of the kids that skipped graduation to show how cool they were and then regret it years later...

USS Nathan James
Nov '17

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/7607095262439052585/2017-njsiaa-football-finals-schedule-dates-times-and-locations-matchups-tba/

Enjoy Thursday night...I hope you guys get a good turnout! Heck...if I were you I might stay for the next game as well! Having seen B-W-R close up, they're a good team, and that should be a quality game.
I'll be out there on Saturday.

Re: HHS Football Playoffs 2017

The HHS Cheerleaders are selling T-Shirts for the upcoming State Game at Met Life!
Here is the attached form.

You can fill it out and email it to either akinney@hackettstown.org or andaly@hackettstown.org

All orders are due back by 11/27 at noon, and pick up for T-shirts will be Wednesday, 11/29.

Show your support for our boys while supporting your local cheerleaders!

HTC17 HTC17
Nov '17

The HHS Cheerleaders are selling T-Shirts for the upcoming State Game! Show your support for our Football players, while supporting the HHS Cheerleaders! If anyone would like to order just contact you favorite HHS Cheerleader! See you all at Met Life!

Kelly Kelly
Nov '17

Tigers Will....?

Will what?

btownguy btownguy
Nov '17

From the Booster Club page on Facebook:
The Hackettstown High School will be running a fan bus for interested High School Students. We as a Booster Club have been approached and asked if we would be interested in running an adult/children fan bus, which would be a Coach Bus. This is in the preliminary stages and we are still waiting for more information from the Athletic Department regarding Thursday.

The cost would be around $30 for an adult and $23 for a child/student, which includes your ticket and bus.

If members are interested in this we will look into it a little closer.

This bus would be for not only booster members but also community supporters.

Please get back to us if you would be interested in this. At this time we do not know the time we would be depart or the time we are allowed in the stadium. The bus holds approximately 50-54 people. Details to Follow.

This is to gauge interest to see if it would be worth looking into. When responding back, please only respond to the Booster email hhstigerfootball17@gmail.com

Thanks,
HHS Booster Club

Jersey Girl Jersey Girl
Nov '17

Why do people need a bus? Get in a car and drive.

Metsman Metsman
Nov '17

Why does Metsman need a brain? He rarely uses it.

ianimal ianimal
Nov '17

You're hilarious ianimal. I want to be just like you....

If kids want to go to a game and they don't drive yet, then it's a good opportunity to spend time with your kid and go.

Metsman Metsman
Nov '17

If 60 like-minded people want to go to Giants Stadium for a HS football game, it makes a hell of a lot more sense for them all to go on one bus instead of in 30-60 cars.

ianimal ianimal
Nov '17

Are they charging people for parking? If not it's cheaper to drive. But I get it, some parents don't care about sports. So for those kids with parents like that, a bus makes sense.

Metsman Metsman
Nov '17

From NJSIAA:

Ticket prices are as follows:

• MetLife Stadium: $9 adults, $3 students and seniors, $12 parking

USS Nathan James
Nov '17

Yes, I think it's $12 per car to park for the NJSIAA playoffs. But I wasn't even thinking of the financial aspect. Bus trips are fun.

Sure for kids with parents who don't like sports... but how about kids with parents who DO care about sports but also realize that a bus trip where you can relax and have fun and talk with a bunch of other people is preferable to sitting alone in a car and driving to Bergen County?

Kids spend half their lives stuck in a car with their parents. It's good to mix it up when the opportunity arises.

ianimal ianimal
Nov '17

Nutsman please stick to baseball

Go Tigers!!!

Nov '17

Coming from someone named LittlePiglet that's kind of funny...

Metsman Metsman
Nov '17

Joe Paterno said in 1973 (many years before the Sandusky scandal) ... if I ever need a brain transplant, I'd want the brain of a sports writer, because I'd be getting one that's had very little use.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '17

Happy Thanksgiving !!! Go Tigers !!!!

Nov '17

Rutherford is basically a walk across the parking lot to the stadium for their fans... is Metlife considered a neutral site by the state?

Won't matter...keep choppin!

Tickets will be for sale atthe high school next week, if you want to get your tickets in advance. Go to the school board website, hackettstown.org, and click the link to the high school. There are specific times when tickets will be sold at the new gym entrance. They are also gaging interest for a possible public (non student) bus to go down.

Deviljet
Nov '17

You can't tailgate. Isn't that the fun of football games at these venues? If you don't care about that then a bus is a good option.

Metsman Metsman
Nov '17

Good Luck Tigers

Don't worry, Rutherford will not jam the stadium with 70,000 fans ... that's not happening .... particularly with a "rush hour" start ... even if there are 6,000 fans at the game ... most of the stadium will be empty.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '17

I hope that FANS show up in big numbers to support our HHS TIGERS !!!!! GO TIGERS !!!!!!!

Nov '17

Andy correct

They only open the lower deck, and its GA seating

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Nov '17

This is probably a silly question, but I’m assuming you can buy tickets at the gate of Metlife stadium for the playoff game. And you don’t necessarily need to buy them in advance. Can someone please confirm this for me. Thanks

Happy man Happy man
Nov '17

Yea you can buy at Gate. But I was told there is only going to be one ticket booth open so the line might be long which could delay you getting in.

Jim L Jim L
Nov '17

Thanks for the information Jim L.

Happy man Happy man
Nov '17

Today is the last day.for ticket sales at the high school
I believe 130 to 330 at the maim.gym entrance around back. Check the school website to confirm time.

Deviljet
Nov '17

And here's a quick video of them coming out of the tunnel on their tour today!

https://twitter.com/HHSTIGERS/status/935901287610306561

trekster3~ trekster3~
Nov '17

Oh how exciting..........and thank you trekster3 for posting this. My son was there!!!
What a great OP for all the kids!

littlelu littlelu
Nov '17

News 12 Varsity broadcast ~ Hackettstown vs. Rutherford - North 2, Group 2 Final:

www.news12varsity.com/1.1901248

GO TIGERS!!

Nick Scalera Photo Nick Scalera Photo
Nov '17

Kelly Kelly
Nov '17

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/730214

Gee good thing this didn't happen. Good luck to the boys and Coach Robinson tonight!

Metsman Metsman
Nov '17

For the State Final game tonight, there will be video coverage, fan chat and reporter updates provided by NJ.com via:

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/9125756978092661024/live-video-fan-chat-hackettstown-vs-rutherford-north-2-group-2-football-final/

Also, join Marty Yudichak and Shawn Burke with the pregame show at 4:30 p.m. and kick-off at 5:00 p.m. You can listen to all the action LIVE on WRNJ 92.7FM, 104.7FM, 1510AM, wrnj.com and on the TuneIn app.

http://wrnjradio.com/rnj-news-department/2017/hackettstown-football-team-heads-to-metlife-stadium/

Follow the game on Twitter @jayedwardswrnj and @tigersonwrnj.

GO TIGERS!!

Nick Scalera Photo Nick Scalera Photo
Nov '17

Awesome game soo proud of our Tigers !!!!!

Ilikeflowers Ilikeflowers
Nov '17

Been looking for the results. What happened tonight?

USAfirst USAfirst
Nov '17

Great effort by the Tigers, they were in it till the end! Great job Hackettstown community! We had quite a good crowd out there including former players and coaches from many different eras.

Deviljet
Nov '17

For those who don't know ... the teams traded touchdowns in the first half, each time Rutherford scored the Tigers answered ... it was 14-13 at the half.

Tigers lost 21-13, played a real solid game, especially on defense against a very explosive and athletic offense. It seemed Rutherford adjusted to the triple-option offense in the second half. You can practice against it but can't really simulate a team that runs it real well ... after they defended against it on the field for awhile .. they adjusted to the Tigers' speed of execution ... that's what good teams do.

Congrats Tigers on an outstanding year ... CJ Robinson will only get better if you leave him alone and let him do his job ... good traditions have coaching continuity :-D

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '17

Great job Tigers, it's been an exciting year of Hackettstown Football - everyone involved should all be proud of their accomplishment!

Huge props to the Coaches and Team - a completely class act all season long - respectful of everyone, showed decorum with big victories and dignity and class last night as well.

They work hard and it shows and their presence in that very large arena was most definitely felt, already looking forward to what Coach Robinson has in store for next year!

trekster3~ trekster3~
Dec '17

The fans provided a great display of appreciation and sportsmanship at the end ... that will be my lasting memory :-D

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '17

Nice game Tigers...after all these years I still have a soft spot for them. Even though the ending was what they would have liked, they should hold their heads high for a season like they had.

Yay West Jersey football!!!

Now I get to gear up for tomorrow!

Had a very memorable experience at the game last night! Hackettstown had a great season, and the following should not be overlooked...

They ended the season 8-4. Of the 4 losses, 2 were against state champions (Newton and Rutherford). The other losses were against Lakeland (who lost to Newton in their final) and Mount Olive, who plays tomorrow. If MO wins, Hackettstown only lost against 3 state champions and a runner-up. Not shabby.

"Been looking for the results. What happened tonight?"

Too many turnovers - minus 3 on the road - never going to win the game.

Think H'town was the better team talent wise - play that game in H'town we would have kicked their ass 9 times out of 10.
imo

I was thinking about the game from a couple weeks ago, and was noticing that during the Hackettstown game there were some folks who had seats in one of the suites in the stadium.

Does anyone know how they were able to get that, and what the cost would have been? Seems a little odd for a high school football game, so I'm curious as to who it was and how they were able to swing that.

Must have been nice.

TD

Dec '17

I asked about that and was told it was Giants and Jets season suite holders, sponsors, and NJSIAA officials who used them through the whole weekend.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '17

Perhaps through their company they work for allowed them to be in it.

Htownlifer Htownlifer
Dec '17

TripleOption

Who cares besides you? Just being there at that Amazing Venue to watch that Magical Tiger Football Team in a State Championship Game playing their hearts out is all that matters for True Tiger Fans. Go Tigers !!!

Dec '17

Piglet,

Apparently Andy Loigu cared enough to ask someone else the same question that garnered the response he posted.

Apologies for not having a single track mind that's only capable of handling one thing at a time. While I sat at Metlife and enjoyed the game from start to finish, I also was able to notice a few other things going on around me.

I thought the broadcast of the game in the stadium was very well done, the replaying ad for the sports training company was a little redundant, one of the only other ads was for Aquafina, food options were sufficient from the cookies to the chicken fingers, and had a chuckle when the ref called pass interference on Rutherford when the defender barely even breathed on the receiver (I'll take the call though). Lastly, I watched a team fight to the end in a game they likely would have won barring the handful of turnovers that were made. They did a great job all season and deserved to be there.

Among those things, I also noticed folks sitting in a suite and just happened to be curious how. I'm really, REALLY sorry that this put such a damper on your day yesterday. You must have a lot going on at home if this is where you need to come to take out your frustrations on an innocent question.

Have a great day and hopefully things will start looking up for you.

Dec '17

Ball protection is a major part of any game, particularly one that is close and competitive. Good defenses create turnovers and that was true of Hackettstown in their wins, being a good takeaway team helped get them to the final.

This season laid a great foundation for future success --- that's the way to look at it.

My Lakewood basketball years may be an example --- 1965 blow a 14-point lead and lose sectional final by one point --- 1966 win sectional but lose in state semifinal --- 1967 state Group III champs, first state championship in school history.

Stay the course, Hackettstown, you can do it.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '17

I believe the stadium or the NJSIAA provides a suite/box for the administrators/BOE of each school. Could be wrong but that’s what I was told.

btownguy btownguy
Dec '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.