Route 46 road work in Great Meadows

Anyone know what’s going on with route 46 in great meadows. Looks like they are paving a thin layer

Great meadows ppl Great meadows ppl
Oct '17

The old surface was in good shape. Don't know what there doing.

Indie Indie
Oct '17

I'm wondering the same thing. This area of Route 46 was just resurfaced in 2011!!!
Seems like a waste of resources and tax money.

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/313343

Spending money

Bug3
Oct '17

Your Gas Tax dollars at work! hahaha

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Oct '17

I just spoke with a couple different people about it as was concerned with the oil it was kicking up on my windshield from car in front of me and that seemed to be very rough surface for repaving. Called the DOT region office and they gave me the construction project engineer, who explained but also gave me the # of one of the construction groups managers. The construction manager explained that this material is used in a thin coat and it actually blends into the existing roadway to seal up cracks, stress cracks and helps to maintain the life on the existing pavement so they won't have to repave for hopefully another 5-7 years, as it is a heavily traveled road. They called it some kind of Preservative sealant that is being used throughout the state and the rough texture it adds also helps provide traction in winter months.
Don't know if it was bunch of malarky they were handing me, but I was proactive in calling this morning as I was concerned about what seemed to be bad roadwork.

That stretch of road is nowhere near heavily traveled..they must be testing something on a backwoods country state highway

Bug3
Oct '17

When we lived in Colorado many years ago they paved back roads by laying a thin layer of "oil" ( thin, watery tar) on the road and then they put on a thin layer of finely ground "rock". They ran over it a few times with a roller, and they were done. You had a repaved road. The only drawback was the surface was rather rougher than macadam. It increased tire wear.
What Wen describes sounds almost like the above.

JBJSKJ JBJSKJ
Oct '17

No..they do that on county roads

Bug3
Oct '17

JBJSKJ - That's called taring and chipping and they do it on our county roads as Bug3 said.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '17

that stretch of the road is very heavily traveled considering the fact that all the heavy trucks can not go through historical Hope and reroute through great meadows and Hackettstown. Got to give credit to Hope township committee for that move. Indy twp., what can I say

meadows oldtimer
Oct '17

Ummm no that's further up between rt31 and west on 46 that trucks travel heavily..this part of 46 traffic is sparse

Bug3
Oct '17

"Macadam", "Tar & chip" and "Oil & stone" are all different names for the same process. What Wen is referring to sounds more like "micro-surfacing".

ianimal ianimal
Oct '17

bug 3 : Are you really trying to tell someone who lives on the road and see's hundreds of garbage trucks from down by the city on their way to the landfill in oxford pass by that this is not true? Very odd that you think trucks would go all the way to exit at route 94 junction and backtrack to oxford

meadows oldtimer
Oct '17

I live on the road..so yes it's sparsely traveled compared to many other portions of rt 46..you need to see other parts of the world more often (lol)...peace..and out

Bug3
Oct '17

46 is heavily traveled with truck traffic, car traffic to avoid route 80 especially when accidents. Trucks must use State highways for the intercommerce traffic, so yes not as heavily traveled as in the city areas of the state, but any deliveries made locally must use the highways, 46, 31, 57 as much as possible. There is Waste trucks, Quarry and delivery trucks of all sorts if you travel that road each day you will see them. I believe Allamuchy has now also tried to restrict trucks using 517 as a route to 80 also, unless local deliveries.

Looks like they are going to finally repave the bridge over the old LH&R railroad tracks on Rt. 46, as you enter Great Meadows.

Sign says paving starts 3/23. Not sure if a night time project or not, but about time, the holes in that pavement over that bridge are bad, and that was after mild winter, imagine if we actually had a huge temperature fluctuation/salt situation.

I mentioned at the time, on the thread that spoke about them repaving this section of Rt.46 a couple of years ago it made no sense to not do the then crumbling deck of the bridge.

About time.

Mar '20

The bridge was supposed to be removed and replaced with a road awhile back

Bug3
Mar '20

Looks like they are just resurfacing the deck, doing it during daytime hours, be prepared for delays:

https://wrnjradio.com/route-46-daytime-lane-closures-begin-today-for-bridge-deck-repairs-in-independence-twp/

Mar '20

This thread was started in October of 2017. It refers to a different resurfacing event.
Currently they are beginning the repair (replacement maybe?) of the bridge over the tracks.
And for the record, 46 is very heavily traveled. All of it. Great meadows definitely. Traffic from 31 doesn’t all turn left onto 46. If it’s on 46 from PA it doesn’t turn onto 31, travel to 57,then Mt Ave and get back on 46. It travels through Great Meadows. Same in reverse. Traffic doesn’t bunny hop Great Meadows.

Crystal Crystal
Mar '20

Looks like just the bridge being repaved, although they have a nice sized hole in one lane so a little more than just a repave.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Mar '20

Re: Route 46 road work in Great Meadows

That stretch is less than half as traveled as the neighboring portions of 46, Crystal.
According to traffic count facts from the NJDOT, there is a significantly lower amount of traffic on the section of 46 east of 31 and west of Hope Great Meadows vs the section in dispute.
Rr 46 Daily vehicle counts within the last 5 years:
West of 31 Intersection/by five acres: 9432
East of Hope Great Meadows Rd/near Alphano Rd: 9262
"Great Meadows" section/by Pequest Hatchery: 3898
Source: https://www.njtms.org/map/

kepa
Mar '20

Thank you Kepa for giving Crystal some facts. Yes, I know there was another thread, I didn't find it. Just trying to give some information to help out those that may wonder why they are delayed as they drive through that area.

Mar '20

I was interested myself as that section always seems way less traveled, and it is more scenic than some of the other sections before 46 heads further east and becomes a different animal!

kepa
Mar '20

Its a very pretty ride...perfect for bicycles

Bug3
Mar '20

A small patch of pavement has been placed on the east bound side of Rt 46 on the old viaduct.No daytime work seems to be taking place.

murof
Mar '20

I went though the area twice during the day, and both times got caught up in one lane at a time traffic stops. Work was going on today, without doubt, saw it up close and personal.

Looks like it should only take a couple of days though, and we will finally have a bridge that you dont have to hug the center line anymore to miss the potholes.

Mar '20

I noticed much progress on the Great Meadows Rt 46 viaduct paving project today.They set up a couple Job Johnnies along the highway.

murof
Mar '20

This project has been moving along very well.For a small section of re-paving there must have been 15 trucks and 20 workers on that job.Looks like that might be too much for such a small piece of work?

murof murof
Apr '20

The bridge is much smoother now!

Michael Michael
Apr '20

Drove over it this morning. Project completed. Great job by all!

Just curious how much this job cost me as a taxpayer!! LOL

Just kidding, heck I'm used to getting clobbered by property taxes.... I live in Oxford!! LOL

Lenny Rock Lenny Rock
Apr '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.