Rt 46 Great Meadows Re-Paving

Rt 46 in Great Meadows is undergoing a re-paving project...the paving will extend from the Methodist Church...beyond the Pequest State Fish Hatchery be prepared for delays and detours

oldman oldman
Jul '11

wondering why they were spraypainting the street in front of my house. now i know, thanks oldman.

great in the meadows great in the meadows
Jul '11

Didn't they just pave that section ?

BillyBob2
Jul '11

Oh great - Figured thats what they are going to do. Wonder how they are going to deal with people and bus that are along 46. Like if they are paving on that side where the driveway is, how does one get into it

notsure notsure
Jul '11

That section was done in 1996 all the way past Belvidere . It doesn't seem to need repaving yet , I can think of other sections of route 46 that need it more , but I guess it's just another example of tax dollars being wasted .

Zombo Zombo
Jul '11

Its supposed to be done at nighttime , going through hackettstown and down mtn avenue by 57

Michael Michael
Jul '11

Very pleasant to drive west on Rt 46 from H'town to the Delaware. Hasn't changed much over the past few decades, it seems to me.

jersey dutchman 2 jersey dutchman 2
Jul '11

the stretch of rt 46 west of Townsbury needs paving badly...

oldman oldman
Jul '11

Does anyone know when this is supposed to start?

Wyks
Jul '11

It started (They are raising the drainage Grates now)

BillyBob2
Jul '11

Came home this evening through Great Meadows and by Koizmors Gargage they had the large lights lit up on the bridge. They lit up the one house by the river that I doubt the people will be able to sleep this evening.

Magpie Magpie
Aug '11

Been a couple months now and haven't seen any repaving going on. Wonder if the record wet August and Hurricane pushed things back a bit??

Shouldn't be long now. DOT has those orange temporary flashing roadway signs out along RT 46 (White Twp) advising motorists to plan an alternate route between 7PM-6AM for lane closures. Doesn't give a start date though.

Whatever they have done between Buttzville and Great Meadows, where they have dug trenches across the road(Rt 46), then refilled them with patch has made the road a mess, where before that, it was perfectly fine. As the patches have settled, there are now big dips in the road, which are really bad to drive over now.

I wonder what the purpose of the trenches was, I hope it was worth it, since they now have to pave a formerly fine stretch of Rt.46.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Oct '11

@ Vic tonight they're gonna be done on mountain ave then most likely start milling and paving the rest of route 46

they realy screwed up the road

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Oct '11

The Rhyme Animal,

HL'er "Oldman" posted 2 weeks ago in a similar thread that the reason for the rough patchwork across the roadway was due to them jackhammering out the expansion joints in the 1930's concrete roadway below the asphault.
http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/339099#t339119

Interesting stuff, thanks for the info Vic on that one. Now, it brings to mind the question, "How in the world do they know where the expansion joints are in a concrete road surface that has long been covered by asphalt?"

I know Rt. 46 is a pretty old road, at least what is underneath the current surface, but is there a formula that they have when finding the expansion joints, such as they are X number feet apart?

Interesting stuff- just wish they would do a better job of the temporary patchwork- some of the trenches in the road are bad enough to do damage to your cars front end.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Oct '11

They probably have map

Bug2
Oct '11

For oldman - where is the methodist church?

rt 46 west just past the Pequest river bridge...but it looks like the re-paving will start at Water st

oldman oldman
Oct '11

Im glad mtn ave got paved but theres like blobs of tar or something from the machines in the right lane on the mcdonalds side

lately iI have noticed that the house just shakes from the traffic going past. Anyone else having this problem? Do you think the work on the joints could have caused this ?

meadows oldtimer
Oct '11

All I know is that they scraped and paved last nite - very noisy & it did shake the house.
And they only did 1 side, which means some other nights sleep will be interrupted.
Tired today.

Well here it is just a little over 6 months since the repaving and the roadway is already opening up. There is a large pothole in the eastbound roadway almost directly in front of the Independence/Great Meadows Middle School but more towards the front of Bob's Barbershop. Millions of $$$ in paving work and the material gives way after 6 months?? Poor workmanship? Poor materials? A combination of both? What gives!

A report has been filed. Feel free to voice your displeasure as well:

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/potholeform.shtm

I just seen the pothole. I looks like someone shoveled off a chunk of roadway and just throigh it to the side. Itll bend a wheel for sure.

Cardude Cardude
May '12

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.