Wasabi Restaurant

Wasabi Restaurant

Looks like we're getting a new restaurant in town. Wasabi. Going in where Prickly Pear was.

THE MORP THE MORP
Mar '17

that is good news!

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Mar '17

Does anyone know if this is related to the wasabi restaurant in Flanders?? My husband and I love their sushi, but hate the drive.

BroadwayNJ
Mar '17

great news. look forward to their opening.

so happy! I hope its the same owners as Wasabi in Flanders! Does anyone know when??

Waldo
Mar '17

So exciting! Wasabi--will you be hiring?

TigerMom
Mar '17

Is there an opening date? I drove by this area today but didn't look that way. Thanks!!

Angie White Angie White
Mar '17

Re: Wasabi Restaurant

We've heard that they will be opening tomorrow :)

Staff@hktwnbid Staff@hktwnbid
Apr '17

Yay! Excited to try them out

Dancicus Fighticus Dancicus Fighticus
Apr '17

They are not the same as the one in flanders. I am friends with Byoung the owner of wasabi in flanders I was hoping as well but I checked with him and he said No.

Local guy Local guy
Apr '17

O that's disappointing! Hopefully its just as good!

Waldo
Apr '17

Went yesterday for take out. The cornerstone for me of a good sushi place is how well they do their spicy tuna roll. And I have to say it was very very good. We also had the sweet mango roll and Victoria secret roll both of which were good. The other two places in town for us aren't very good and we drive out to mizuki in ledgewood to get our sushi fix. Will still willl go out there cause we love everything Mizuki serves but good to know there is now some good local sushi. Looking forward to going back and trying other things.

Buddy19
Apr '17

Was wondering if they are open on mondays?

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Apr '17

They're closed Mondays, Weedwacker.

My hubs and I went Saturday and we really enjoyed it. As soon as we sat down they brought us a complimentary sushi dish. I don't remember what it's called but it was a white fish wrapped around cucumber with a single roe on top. I don't eat sushi as the thought of it skeeves me out. I generally don't like fish to begin with. I decided to be brave and tried it. I surprisingly liked it, and enough so that I ate a second piece. My husband and I shared a Gyoza app and a Beef Negimaki app. Both were delicious. He also had spicy tuna rolls which he enjoyed and he got Pork Katsu which he also enjoyed. I got the Basil Chicken and it was fantastic. Of course the main entrees come with rice, miso soup and salad. We will definitely be going back.

jrsemom jrsemom
Apr '17

We have eaten there twice now... and I highly recommend them... please support this new local business..

Apr '17

was brought two free apps!

rolls are huge, they are 6 pieces but had the widest circumference I'd ever seen LOL. I normally eat 3 or 4 rolls most places but was stuffed after two here.

very friendly atmosphere and inexpensive!

two thumbs up

Scottso Scottso
Apr '17

We went for a light lunch the other day and it was excellent. Calamari was cooked to perfection.

The Man The Man
Apr '17

Does anyone know if they have a website? I can't seem to find one.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '17

Calico, it's wasabihackettstown.com ordering dinner for tonight.

Molly
Apr '17

Thank you.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '17

We went last night and really not impressed. The food was okay, house salad, sushi rolls. Unlike others who posted, we did not receive any free appetizers.No big deal, we weren't expecting it.

Didn't care for the ambiance with the two flat screen TV's, one tuned to a Japanese movie, the other over the bar tuned to a Japanese competitive obstacle course show.
The staff were all watching the TV over the bar. The TV sound was on mute while Japanese pop music played. The restaurant seemed a bit dark and dirty.

The staff was friendly service was okay. Based on the previous postings here, we were expecting a really great experience. We will be go back to Little Tokyo where we believe it is a better fit for us.

I know not all will agree with my comments. Please give Wasabi a try you may find a different experience and enjoy it.

I ordered take-out from there 2xs (Hawaiian Roll, Tuna Tataki, Eel Avocado, and Spicy Tuna). So far I have really liked everything and thought it tasted fresh. Love that there is a sushi place steps from my door. Plus they gave me a handful of coupons each time I picked up food. Will have to eat there this weekend and see if my opinion changes. The décor looked cute, but it was rather dark in there.

Jackie-O Jackie-O
Apr '17

The food was delicious. Too dark in there for me too. There was a violent bloody movie on the big screen which creeped me out. The server was good and efficient.
The drawn curtains were creepy too. Especially when the sun was shining outside. I liked the 20% discount coupons. I'll go back for lunch. Blessings on the new business. I sincerely appreciate having sushi close to home. I'll do take out if it's still dark with the creepy movie playing..lol

Cathleen Rafalko Cathleen Rafalko
Apr '17

Tried Wasabi last night w/neighbors. Interior is practically the same as Prickly Pear - they did a little painting, changed the curtains, hung asian pics & hung 2 TV's.

The food was good - we enjoyed everything. We had a mix of tempura, sushi, & cooked entree's. Yes, we got a free app & for those of you who didn't, etc - you aren't missing ANYTHING - trust me - it was a little shredded crab surrounded by lots of rice with eel sauce - none of us at the table liked it.

What we didn't like was the service. They rushed the food & we told them to slow it the hell down. When it came time to pay, I took out my coupon from the Hackettstown local paper & the waitresses had no clue at all - I mean, they studied it & didn't understand. FINALLY a guy who is the manager came over & acknowledged that it was their coupon & yes, they would take it (are you kidding?). Then, the waitress comes over & shows me the bill which is $98.27 & says that the coupon I gave them is only good if we spent $100. I mean, come on! So again, the manager comes over & they take the coupon.

So, yeah, the food was good but the service really lacks. I would definitely give them a second chance but with so much competition in town, they need to step up the game.

Just ordered takeout from them. I highly recommend them! We tried a variety of sushi rolls and they were better than any sushi we've had yet. Everything was very fresh and very flavorful. They were also very prompt with our order. Great place. Hope they last a while! It's nice not having to travel for good sushi!

BroadwayNJ
Apr '17

We just ordered take out tonight. We enjoyed our food very much. It both smelled and tasted very fresh. The hostess was very friendly and our food was ready as soon as we walked in so that was a plus also. Good luck to them!

NerdBird NerdBird
Apr '17

F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C! Had the sushi pizza on crispy scallion pancake, spicy tuna salad, mango tuna salad and crispy salmon seaweed-cucumber salad, (all appetizers with raw fish). All beautifully plated and super fresh. Fast, friendly service. Only nit-picky thing is we found it too dark in the restaurant, especially with the heavy drapes and low lighting. Will be returning soon!

TigerMom
Apr '17

My vegan daughter tried it yesterday and she is more than impressed!

She had a sweet potato roll (outstanding), three avocado rolls, one peanut avocado roll and tofu terayki.

She loved the quality, generous portions and the price. She can't say enough about this place! I can't wait to try it myself.

positive positive
Apr '17

Love this place. Most fish for your money of all the local places and the coupons are easy to come by. 10 dollars off my dinner tonight.

Scottso Scottso
Aug '17

Ha ha me too! Just left there using my &10 coupon!

Luca2 Luca2
Aug '17

Anyone know which menu items are included in the 1/2 price Wednesday special?

happiest girl
Feb '18

We enjoy this place. Getting hungry now!

Grumpier oldgit Grumpier oldgit
Feb '18

The whole menu is included for 50% off! We got takeout tonight - very good - we are stuffed and I have lunch for tomorrow haha :)

Lizinhtown Lizinhtown
Feb '18

Awesome!

happiest girl
Feb '18

I highly recommend the spicy tuna roll ... the best I have ever had !!!

Mar '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.