Handyman Revisited

Wondering if anyone has recently used a handyman for small jobs around the house. Not looking for a contractor to do a big job, just some small things we can't do.
Thanks

Bessie Bessie
Feb '17

I've used Joe Applegate from Applegate Construction. He did a bunch of small jobs for me around my house. Always calls back and does the work on time. Quality, local guy.
908-310-7348

Dancicus Fighticus Dancicus Fighticus
Feb '17

Eric the HealthyHandiman, he does great work, is very clean and reasonable and does the job right. Used him for many things around my house over the past few years. If you search the forums here you will find his number I'm sure.

boobalaa boobalaa
Feb '17

Text Ron Dill 908 892 6882.
He's the BEST and local.
repairchamp.com

kerii
Feb '17

I took the advice of Dancicus Fighticus, definitely was not disappointed. He did very nice work, reasonably priced and showed up as promised and returned phone calls. I would definitely use his services again.
I have also used Eric the Handyman and was very happy with him too.

Bessie Bessie
Apr '17

Bessie, it's always great to get the feedback. Thanks for taking the time!

maja2 maja2
Apr '17

So you're the reason Joe was so busy! Haha. I have to give him a ring for some exterior work on my house in a few weeks. Glad to see he worked out for you. I gave his # to a coworker who was also grateful. He's really responsive and does the work at a reasonable rate and in a reasonable amount of time.

Apr '17

Does Joe do interior painting?

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '17

Calico, I'm not sure on that. My wife and I painted our house ourselves. Here's his website : http://applegateconstructionllc.com/ That should have his services listed.

Apr '17

awww.... can't get a call back from applegate - they must be very busy after all the glowing reviews!! Any other recommendations? Need someone for a small-ish job.

rleaf rleaf
Jul '17

Re: Handyman Revisited

Sorry rleaf.
My wife just gave birth to our son Joseph Daniel Applegate II!!!
We needed to take a few personal days to get him home and settled down.
We will be back in the office tomorrow.
Sorry if we have caused any inconvenience.

Joseph Applegate Joseph Applegate
Jul '17

Congratulations on your new addition!

Bessie Bessie
Jul '17

No inconvenience, Congratulations!!!! Love the shirt - I can certainly wait a few days, I just thought that perhaps you were too busy with other jobs... enjoy!

rleaf rleaf
Jul '17

What a cutie - congrats!

I highly recommend Derek of Silver Hammer Handyman (advertised in classifieds). He was very responsive and reliable.
I never received responses from some of the others - very pleased with Derek.

Neezy Neezy
Jul '17

Eric Farley. Very reasonable, very reliable and very honest. 908-453-3520. I used Eric to get my house in shape before selling. Highly recommended.

Eric the Healthy Handyman! (908)887-8078

tripsy tripsy
Jul '17

Anything more current than 2017.... Im looking for a handyman to do some work around the house.

townmom townmom
Oct '19

Eric The Healthy Handyman. I usually do all work myself but have been traveling a lot. Gave Eric a key and never thought twice. Clean, extremely nice, honest, and reasonable. And I am extremely picky

Neimad Neimad
Oct '19

Thank you all for the kind words!!

Congrats Joe on the new baby!!

I’m friends with Derek from silver hammer and we have done work together, another great handyman!

The Healthy Handyman The Healthy Handyman
Oct '19

I can attest to Eric The Healthy Handyman. In his own words, "I am not a contractor". I have had it with contractors not responding, not getting to the work they committed to and just not being honest people of their word. Eric will call back, say what he will do, give you an honest estimate, and do the work he says in a timely manner. Sounds like a simple concept but it is rare these days.

JB400 JB400
Oct '19

I have a storm door that needs repair as it will no longer latch and stay closed properly and has some gaps around it which are letting in pests. I’ve tried contacting several people listed on this thread but haven’t heard back from any of them (Healthy handyman, Silver Hammer handyman, Applegate construction) I’m thinking maybe they don’t do this particular type of repair or are possibly just too busy to do the job since they haven’t called back. Does anyone have any suggestions for someone who can help with this type of repair and who might currently be willing, and have time, to take on this job? I’m kind of at a loss and would be really thankful for any suggestions!

Greeneyeddi Greeneyeddi
Oct '19

Has anyone ever tried that company advertised on TV called TAKL for handiman and home services-

sportsfan sportsfan
Oct '19

A big cheer for Pat from Inside & Out Construction (862-258-1320) for fixing my problem storm door! Pat returned my call within an hour or two after I called him and came out that same evening (in a light rain no less) to see what, exactly, the job would entail. He came just a few days later to do the job and had the door completely redone and working wonderfully in record time! He even texted me the day before he was going to come to confirm the time that he would be there and make sure the appointment was still good for me. Professional, punctual, CLEAR and FAST communication, caring, honest, reliable, and reasonably priced — Pat is awesome and we highly recommend him!

Greeneyeddi Greeneyeddi
Oct '19

Why does everyone write down reasonably priced for services rendered. It is very subjective. Why not say he charged $100 to fix the door and it took him one hour. The same with plumbing and electrical.

James Tierney James Tierney
Oct '19

Because time and cost vary substantially on each job.

Even for guys with decades of experience sometimes a simple job goes sideways and can take much longer than expected.

But on the flip side- being very good at what you do can often lead to fast efficient work- that doesn't mean it should be cheap.

Often the guys that take longer on a job are slow for a reason- they don't know what they are doing, they screw things up, damage things, etc.

So price and time put to a 'task' without knowing every detail of the situation is useless and can often be misleading.

I never post costs because they can vary substantially depending on the specific job.

Greeneyeddi Greeneyeddi
Oct '19

I have a few small jobs that need to be done around my home. Does Eric-the Healthy Handyman have a website or email?

townmom townmom
Nov '19

Townmom, shoot Eric an email at thehealthyhandyman@gmail.com

JB400 JB400
Nov '19

Eric the Healthy Handyman DOES NOT RETURN CALLS. I hired him once for a small job and was very pleased. I called him again for another small project and he didn’t return my call. I chalked it up to him being busy and ended up eventually doing the project myself. I called him again a year later for a different, yet small project, and he didn’t return my call AGAIN. Maybe he prefers larger projects? I don’t know. In any event, returning a phone call, even to decline a project, would be professional and polite. I personally will not attempt to hire him again nor would I recommend him at this point.

NJGirl NJGirl
Apr '21

NJGirl, Let me begin with an apology for not returning your phone call/calls. Things have been extremely busy this year, I know that's not an excuse and I am not using it as one. Please try texting me, I have been meaning to change my voicemail to state that, or try my email the person above your post stated, they are both currently the best way to communicate. I have been doing some larger jobs but not in the capacity that keeps me away from smaller ones. Again I apologize I hope you were able to find someone to compete the work in your home, If not please send me a txt or email and i will send you a few recommendations. ERiC

thehealthyhandyman thehealthyhandyman
Apr '21

I highly recommend Eric the healthily handyman - yes he is busy but fit me on a job in between 2 bigger jobs he was working on... look no further for someone if you can wait your turn in his schedule

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Apr '21

I also highly recommend the healthy handyman! He is worth the wait to get on his list.

Spring fever Spring fever
Apr '21

Eric The Healthy Handyman is excellent and I highly recommend him. We have used his services in the past and have always been happy. Also Eddie Miller is also very good. We have been very happy with him as well. (908) 246-8755

I hired a handyman to power wash my home, found in the classified on this site “Pressure washing, painting, deck stain…” HVS or Henry S, paid in full, left half way through with promise to return to complete job and to complete another project for additional payment. 5 weeks, has not returned and only replied to me once. He has updated the classified so please buyer beware.

Graignettles Graignettles
Aug '22

That is unfortunate to hear Graignettles. Personally, I would never pay anyone for straight labor until the job is complete. Particularly a small job like a handyman would do. If they can't float their own labor costs including a helper and some nominal supplies they should not be in business.
I recommend whatever legal action you can take, do it. Hit hard and fast, no leniency. Hopefully you have something more than a verbal contract.

Good luck.

That’s great advice, Greg. I agree on the prepaid labor commentary 100%. It’s different if the contractor has to buy thousands in lumber to build a deck but, in this case, the only real “supplies” (the water) was most likely provided by Graignettles.

I really don’t understand contractors/handymen these days. No return calls, half-assed work and very high pricing. I’m sure there are exceptions but these last few years have been particularly difficult to find someone that will do what they say they will, when they say they’ll do it.

Consigliere
Aug '22

Greg, Consig, I understand your replies and contemplated not posting my warning but because the cost expended is not worth the cost and time to recoup it legally I thought a warning and poor reviews will have to suffice.
Of course I know paying him before completion was a mistake but I thought a hand shake, a look in the eye and a promise to return to complete another project for more pay was enough guarantee. For me it was, for others please be warned.

Graignettles Graignettles
Aug '22

Hands down Eric. I know him personally and he is a complete gentleman and a great business owner. Very honest and great work

Michigan Michigan
Aug '22

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Handyman Revisited
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.