Mezza House Closed for Renovations

I passed by Friday night and saw it was closed due to renovations? Is this true and if so when are they de-opening?

Gurl51 Gurl51
Jan '17

Nothing mentioned on either their Facebook or web pages. Perhaps give them a ring to see what the time frame is for re-opening.

https://www.facebook.com/Mezzahousehackettstown/

http://www.mezzahousenj.com/contact.html

That place was great - Super nice people - I hope they reopen

skippy skippy
Jan '17

Hope not...

Hope so... Agree with skippy. Really nice people and thoroughly enjoyed our dinner there.

fins2dleft
Jan '17

Tried to call them this PM but am getting an "all circuits are busy" message (straight out of 1982 or something). Anyone happen to know if they are open, or will re-open? I don't think I can live without their food. Could seriously eat happily from Mezza House every night. Nothing at all on their FB page or website about an even temporary closure. :-(

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '17

Any updates? The phone number has been disconnected and I haven't seen any activity in the place.

they are closed for good.

Is the other store they own on Main St (the one that sells the cool glass lamps and artwork, etc) still open?

Heidi Heidi
Feb '17

How do you go from closed for renovations to closed for good? Confused.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '17

Jeez....hope they reopen. Got a gift certificate for my birthday. Never been there.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Feb '17

Unfortunately, looks like you are going to have to write off that gift certificate...

It necessarily

There is a reason they closed but it's not my story to tell. I will just say it looks like they will reopen as early as next week so those that enjoy the place and:or have gift certificates keep an eye open for when they reopen

Jim L Jim L
Feb '17

The two times I ate there - at dinner - we were the only ones there - not a good sign for a restaurant people say they like a lot.............If they reopen I hope people will patronize them so they can stay opened.

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '17

I tried it a while back and never went back as I found the service to be terrible and the food salty. I would try it again sometime as I believe in giving a place a second chance.

Luca1 Luca1
Feb '17

I wish all the businesses in the area were patronized more, if not, they will close. I spoke to Tracey at the Candy Shop and she stated business has to pick up. She did a great job with the store but if things don't get better there may be another vacancy there. Please continue to support these local businesses and keep the complaining down. Negative comments, especially petty ones do have a effect.

justwondering justwondering
Feb '17

Definitely, justwondering. My wife and I love walking to town to go to the stores and restaurants. I also wish people would prefer the nice, local places on Main Street to Applebee's or Walmart.

Dancicus Fighticus Dancicus Fighticus
Feb '17

ther just seems to be no foot traffic in Hackettstown,you can look up and down the street for blocks and see no one walking.the only time I ever saw people on the streets is when m and ms had a store there

I agree that there isn't enough foot traffic. The easy way to change that is for people to start frequenting these places and creating foot traffic. We have a nice little town. Hopefully the breweries bring more people in who can discover its charms. It's why my wife and I decided to move here.

Dancicus Fighticus Dancicus Fighticus
Feb '17

Stop spreading doom and gloom. LOL

The Meza House is reopening and is going to be better than before. They will still offer meals. They closed to remodel the store to add a shopping area as well. I spoke to the owner. This is not a rumor.

hot under the collar
Feb '17

Kind of curious how if it's 'closed for renovations', the phone is disconnected and the mailbox is overflowing with mail.

I have not received a response from them after leaving 4 messages on their Facebook page.
It's over Johnny....

Their food was good. IMO, what they (and Zatun RIP) did wrong was try to elevate Mediterranean street food to to sit-down pricing levels. I love Falafel and Schwarma and stuffed grape leaves and it is sad that it will no longer be available in Hackettstown.

What the town needs is a bare-bones Falafel/Kabob joint and do it well. No pretense. Serve a great homemade falafel sandwich, hummus, donner kabab, etc... at a good price and do away with the ambiance. $15 dollars for fried chickpeas, rice and vegetables is absurd. Oh, and no pita with that.

But what we really need is an Indian restaurant....

ZingyBerry ZingyBerry
Feb '17

I agree with ZingyBerry. I have been to Turkey and Lebanon and right on the street you can get a giant falafel sandwich, smothered in some creamy cucumber sauce for pennies. A big platter (served in a box lined with paper) of schwarma with all the trimmings and rice is like the equivalent of US $2.00. The pita breads they give you are 3X the diameter of here and they are like US .50 cents - add some babaganoosh (sp?), hummus, and salad for free. Before Mezza House dropped the falafel sandwich from their menu it was like $10.00. It's really just healthy, cheap and yummy street food.

A good, inexpensive, falafel/Turkish/Lebanese/kebab house, like they have in Burlington Vermont and Philadelphia Pa, where you can do grab and go or eat in for cheap would probably do well with all the college and HS kids as well as the adults in town.

Heidi Heidi
Feb '17

There was an Indian restaurant on Main Street. Unfortunately, it closed a few years ago and wasn't open very long at all.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '17

As someone who visited both Zaytun and Mezza regularly, I'd like to clear up a couple of things. I have the menus of both places in front of me that includes the price. The falafel sandwich at Mezza was $5. I must have bought 20 falafel and shwarma sandwiches from Zaytun which were under $5. There are multiple posts here in the past calling those prices silly cheap. The prices mentioned above are not only higher than what the menus say, they're for full large meals with appetizers - $11 not $15. Maybe $2 in Lebanon for meat is realistic, but here in the US it doesn't cover costs of the meat let alone the rent, labor and other overhead.

As for the Indian place, it had some darn good food. Getting a cook to travel here is not easy. Particularly when no matter how much you say you need it, you don't come out.

Ha -- you beat me to it, GC.
Zaytun had such reasonable prices .... had so many of his falafil and baba g. sandwiches. Really good food I'm still in mourning.

happiest girl
Feb '17

I started a Facebook page called "Hackettstown business happenings" to try and share great things the local places are doing. Please join the group and post pictures and descriptions on all the good things the town has going on!

PV native PV native
Feb '17

Zaytun was excellent as was the Indian Restaurant (forgot the name.) My husband and I enjoyed both restaurants and the good food they served.

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Feb '17

Loved Zaytun, especially the Lamb Kabobs! So delicious and cooked to juicy perfection.

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '17

Mrs Pipes - "Tandoori Kabob Grill"

Us too @happiestgirl. We frequented Zaytun and the food and service were always great.

weebiekins weebiekins
Mar '17

Has anyone been to Marhaba in Lambertville? The pictures of the falafil -- and all the food -- look delicious.
The restaurant has excellent reviews. I can't wait to get over there.

happiest girl
Mar '17

Anyone have a 6 month update?

OP on the phone OP on the phone
May '17

Nothing going on inside! I think you can kiss it goodbye

Bruce juice
May '17

How can a closed business afford the rent on that place?

OP on the phone OP on the phone
May '17

Well if they stopped paying rent, the landlord may have taken possession of what was left in there. Who knows...who cares.......

This thread influenced my lunch.
Just finished a delicious falafil & baba ganoosh combo sandwich -- with cucumber, tomato and tahini drenched shredded lettuce, drizzled with horseradish sauce.
Yum!

happiest girl
May '17

Wait...so who is currently servicing our falafel needs in Hackettstown? Ive had to go to Morris County for my falafel requirement. Is there any in town?

MeH -- my falafel need was fulfilled in my kitchen!
:-)

happiest girl
May '17

Does anyone know what business is going to replace Zaytun? I see a lot of action going on there!

I was having breakfast at stella gs and they were talking how the new place was going to teach tap dancing for young children.sounds like a nice idea.show the kids something new.

I heard that a "To Go" sandwich, quiche, wrap place is going into Hastings Square somewhere also.

happycamper happycamper
Jun '17

Cool!

The permit on the window of Mezza House says pizzaria. Because that's what the town needs. Another pizzaria.

jrsemom jrsemom
Aug '17

Oh geez are you kidding? We certainly do not need another pizza place. How about Indian or mediterranean or french?

Luca - There was Indian and Mediterranean, they didn't make it. French would be nice. I agree that another pizzeria is not needed.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '17

Gah so frustrated x I need fresh hummus, falafel, gyro, etc. Why oh why did these places go?

Where do I go now? Please ?

I used to work for Zaytun, amazing people to say the least and fantastic always fresh food.

Icicle Icicle
Feb '18

Istanbul in Flanders or Cedars in Stroudsburg

Thank you GC, I miss Moussa and Tannya tremendously, if they see this please email me!!

Icicle Icicle
Feb '18

Big time best wishes for those two from me too!!

Re: Mezza House Closed for Renovations

Daddy's Place pita bread hot out of the oven with herb-infused dipping oil.

happiest girl
Sep '19

Re: Mezza House Closed for Renovations

Daddy's Place falafil and hummus.

happiest girl
Sep '19

What was the reason behind Mezza's closing? No one ever elaborated.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.