Abandoned vehicles on private property... What can I legally do?

I am posting for a friend who has a "bad seed" of a kid. He has left 2 vehicles on her property for years! They don't run as far as she knows. I need to get rid of these for her. I tried looking this up online but didn't really find a great answer. What are her options? Just want them GONE! so any suggestions would be helpful. Looking for legal options only ;) No, she doesn't have the titles but as the law state they are "abandoned vehicles" Thanks for your help!

concernedfriend concernedfriend
Oct '16

get the title from the kid and then have them towed to a junk yard.

TOLOP
Oct '16

Can't just have them towed....????

Dallas Dallas
Oct '16

Call me 908-892-5337

Rick
Oct '16

I've seen some other similar topics saying that a tow company won't take it without you being the titled owner (or at the very least *you* will be the one charged for the tow).

The general consensus was to drag it out to the street (off your property), report an abandoned vehicle to the town, and let them tow it away. All those fees/records will be assigned to the last registered owner should they claim it - and I'm guessing the town has a time threshold before they are legally permitted to scrap impounded vehicles.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '16

if the title isn't in your name, it's basically like stealing the cars. there's no proof it's yours, even though it's on your property. if the kid comes back and tries to claim they were stolen or anything by the person, then the kid will probably win any legal battle because the cars are in their name.

TOLOP
Oct '16

http://www.state.nj.us/mvcbiz/Abandoned/Abandoned_vehicles.htm

Good luck and have fun!
Hopefully you can get the title from the son or sell them cheap for parts. What cars are they anyway?

uppedjk uppedjk
Oct '16

That's why it just needs to be moved off that person's property. I wouldn't try to sell it, tow it, etc... Don't give the police/town any back story - a simple "FYI there's an abandoned/unplated vehicle parked on X street" will suffice.

If these are truly junk cars I doubt it's even worth the time/effort/expense to try and legally get a title in your name.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '16

Actually TOLOP the law clearly states. Vehicles on private property are considered "abandoned" after 3 days. It's been YEARS!! Thank you all for your help.
Rick.. I will be calling you this evening! Thanks again!

concernedfriend concernedfriend
Oct '16

No, vehicles on PUBLIC property are considered abandoned after three days. There's a whole different set of regulations for those on private property. The law actually says they need to be put up for public auction...

http://www.state.nj.us/mvcbiz/pdf/Abandoned/Private%20Property.pdf

ianimal ianimal
Oct '16

Try calling one of those charities that say they take vehicles... running or not. They may be able to help you, regarding the legalities. If they take the vehicles, these people, you speak of, are not only helping the needy, they can write off at least $250, on their taxes, for each vehicle. Unless they've changed the laws. Hopefully these cars can be a win win situation for all.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Oct '16

The problem is, until you (as the property owner on which the vehicle is located) satisfy all of the requirements of the law (contact owner, send to auction, submit title request to DMV, pay filing fees, etc) it isn't yours to give away to anybody - charity or not. As unlikely as it may sound, the actual owner may then have a claim against you for theft or something along those lines.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '16

There are several fellows out there who tow junk cars over the scale at places like S & L. Give them a call and maybe they will give you the name of someone.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Oct '16

What kind of cars are they year make and model Please?

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Oct '16

Unfortunately, in some towns the car is considered abandoned if it's not in running shape and currently registered and insured. I was facing a citation for my own car being in my driveway since it was a project car and even though insured, I'd transferred the plates to a car I'd bought at auction in preparation for getting historic plates for the project car. While I managed to get everything straightened out within the "warning period" I was given, others may not have.

That said, I would check the municipal code for your town/township and see what the local law says, as you could be held liable for either having an abandoned vehicle on your property or an "attractive nuisance", etc. Perhaps your zoning officer would be able to help. Since they aren't your vehicles, but may be in violation of the law in your municipality, they may be able to have them removed and impounded, then if not claimed by a certain time, they may be able to sell them off at auction. Problem then out of your hands, as they'd assume the responsibility of notifying the registered owner that their vehicle was towed, etc. Best of luck to you!

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '16

Phil D,

You are always so helpful to others .... and you seem to know a little about everything! You should go on Jeopardy! :-)

Enjoy your day!

Rob

Robert Durana Robert Durana
Oct '16

So true about Phil D. I truly enjoy his posts as well.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '16

An "attractive nuisance" is supposed to be something dangerous (uncovered pit, no pool fence, etc).

Does a license plate and registration sticker magically make an abandoned/project car less dangerous (if it even was to begin with)?

I'd say "it's not a car, it's art work, therefore protected by the 1st Amendment".

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '16

Mark probably remembers Mr Kanter of Mt. Lakes in Morris County off Rt. 46 who, I think with his brother owned Kanter Auto Parts in Boonton: https://www.kanter.com/

Neighbors and the town didn't like the old car in the tree on his property, among other things and he was cited numerous times, fighting it in court until he won his right to have what he wanted on his property as a matter of "free speech". Of course it took many$$$ and I think went to the State Supreme Court to win his "right" back, but it worked for him. Some towns (like Hopatcong) do call abandoned cars "attractive nuisances' because kids see them and want to play on or around them, which sometimes ends with them getting locked in the trunk or being pinned somewhere, etc. Never a good thing in the end. As Mark also mentions, just having the sticker & plate doesn't make it any more "safe". It had to also be in running shape, or at least look as though you could take it out for a "milk run", whatever type of "milk" that may be. Of course the locking car cover on my '86 5.0L H.O. SEFI Mercury Capri "Bubbleback" hatchback makes it less likely to be played around with too. I'd love to be able to bring it down for the Cops & Rodders show one of these years... .

Anyway. I'm glad some of you like my posts. I do like to keep learning new things and enjoy sharing some things I've been lucky enough to come across and hope they're interesting enough that other people enjoy hearing about them;-)

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '16

So what if some drunken fool crashes his car on my property and leaves it because it's a old clunker. Then what????

Dallas Dallas
Oct '16

Dallas

LOL, different scenario there. Being part of a criminal activity, the local PD would have it towed by their contractual tow company and it would be impounded, either at the tower's lot or an impound yard, etc. No worries in that case, except for whatever damage was done to your property.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '16

Bad-seed-kid is not responsible and the chance that he has titles is low. Good luck, let us know how if goes (literally)...

Call your local police station and go from there. They will direct you on what to do next. Most likely it will be towed and impounded without any consequences for you. The owner of the car will be responsible for what happens after it's off your property.

Haha1
Oct '16

Are the cars possibly stolen? Call the PD. They will run the vins and if they are; they will be towed at no expense to you. A win, win.

Greener Pastures
Oct '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.