Where are the hummingbirds?

I have had my 2 feeders up for over 2 weeks now, with zero glimpses of any hummingbirds. They have always shown up the first week of May here. I keep changing the water, but feel like it's a waste w/no sightings. Anyone else, or is it just me? I'm by the hospital.

missing my hummers
May '16

Only saw one this year so far. Don't know what's going on. Just rejuvenated my Panther Valley hummingbird feeder with more sugar and few extra drops of red food dye. Plus bought a big hanging flowering plant next to the feeder. Also wearing colorful red and yellow shirts, since the hummingbirds used to buzz me last year when I wore these colors,. Good luck!

DannyC DannyC
May '16

I have seen male hummingbirds coming to my Salvia and feeders early and late afternoon. I'm in Independence.

Friend has hummers in Great Meadows too.

Dansker Dansker
May '16

Saw a few males and females in early may and moderate activity until a week ago. In the last week we have seen an occasional female and about an hour ago a stray male. Last summer was light but still active. Two years ago we would go through a whole feeder(240 ml)in 5 days. Also wondering where they have gone.

exphysics teacher(PV exphysics teacher(PV
May '16

I have humming birds every year at my feeder. 2 weeks ago 1 can to the feeder, since then not 1 has come back. I was wondering where they were too.

lizzy16
May '16

I have had minimal activity at my feeder. But how can you tell which are male and which are female?!

Hickory Dog Hickory Dog
May '16

The males are more brightly colored.

Blackcat Blackcat
May '16

Re: Where are the hummingbirds?

I've been wondering the same. I had this guy in my yard and at my feeder two weeks ago and not seen anything since.

Grascal
May '16

Grascal- Love that pic

Nosila Nosila
May '16

I know I should just shut up and count my blessings, but I was going to post about not seeing deer lately either. Often at this time the serious munching of plants is in full force. So as I have that thought, on my morning walk I turn the corner and there is a young deer right in the middle of someone's yard. It wasn't more than 10 feet away, sees me all of a sudden, and actually starts walking towards me. Looks me right in the face, walks to the side of me, munches a single leaf off a low hanging maple tree as if to say "hey, it's a *holiday*, sue me".

I hope that's not a sign of things to come.

GC - Deer are beautiful, docile and friendly animals. Too bad they like to destroy our gardens. Any suggestions on their favorite plants to divert them from the ones we want to keep, such as dianthus, roses and herbs? Don't want to put up a fence.

Also, what's up with the missing hummingbirds so far this season? Climate change?

DannyC DannyC
May '16

DannyC - I don't really grow roses because of the effort involved, but from what I've seen I don't think they bother much with thorns. Maybe they eat a bit of the tips like they do phlox, but that should just grow right back anyway. Deer avoid most herbs that I know of. Most strong smells deer want nothing to do with. That's why one of the best things you can grow if you need to get rid of deer is bee balm. It'll drive their nose crazy. Sage and lavender should be similar. The other herb you can plant is mint. But be careful - plant it once and you'll most likely never get rid of it. It spreads so quickly by the runners and is difficult to dig all of it up. But deer hate that.

As for the hummingbirds, it's any body's guess. But since more than one person same them for a while, it sounds like everything was fine but something changed real recently. If I was a guessing person, I'd figure the sudden heat is to blame. They may have migrated a bit more north than usual just because they can. Should be temporary.

Mint it is, three varieties, but what about the parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, basil, cilantro, dill, chives, scallions and fennel? Any deer favorites in this mix? Also, my rose now has 30 buds, mostly up high, but some as low as 4 feet, within munching range, so should I plant a deer diversionary in front of it? Thanks for your advice. Hope you are right about the hummers, and is there anything else I can do to attract these little friends?

DannyC DannyC
May '16

DannyC - Is the mint in a pot or in the ground? If its the ground then you run the risk of it taking over everything else. Mint is a great flavor, but when it comes to growing I would keep it in a container so it doesn't kill off everything. All the rest of the herbs are not only deer resistant, most are the things deer particularly hate. People will grow dill or chives just to keep deer away. All of those things together in an herb garden should keep the deer away even if there were one or two favorites. But there aren't.

From what you describe I'd say the roses are safe. Even if there were the slightest nibbling down below, the majority up high are safe. Not worth making a special deal out of it. Although the herb garden you describe in and of itself is the kind of thing that should keep your average deer well away.

As for hummingbirds, feeders with red food are always good. Remember to change the water/sugar mixture regularly. It can go bad. But for something to attraction them, yet also deter deer, then in your case bee balm is a complete winner. Red color, attracts humming birds as well as bees and butterflies that the birds eat, plus a complete smelly turn off for deer. Checks off every item you asked about.

Other plants that I've seen do well for humming birds are plain old impatiens in hanging baskets, as well as fan flower. (scaevola) I've got a hanging basket now of fan flower that I'm hoping will do well with humming birds. Had one three years ago that did fantastic. I have a fuchsia basket as well which my mother told me has always been a hit with humming birds for her in PA. I've considered a trumpet vine but have been concerned with containing it. But that's supposed to be right up there with the plants mentioned. They say foxglove is good as well, but I have that and never really saw hummingbirds bear it.

one part sugar, four parts water---- regularly sanitize all feeders for many reasons - red liquid is not recommended: http://wildbirdsunlimited.typepad.com/the_zen_birdfeeder/2010/07/top-5-reasons-to-not-use-red-hummingbird-nectar.html

4catmom 4catmom
May '16

4catmom - Thanks. Just sanitized my feeder and used your recipe with no red food coloring. Hope it helps. Have a big red hanging plant next to the feeder, plus what should be lots of pink rose blossoms. That's OK, right?

DannyC DannyC
May '16

I usually have many hummingbirds every day by now, but have only had a few - though I have been working more, so perhaps it's been that my "viewing time" is more limited.. I have to say, though, it does seem a little slow this year.

pmnsk pmnsk
May '16

I must have odd deer since my bee balm is always eaten

Blackcat Blackcat
May '16

pmnsk - They're B A C K! momma, poppa and kid hummingbirds. They must have a nest nearby, since they visit the feeder at least a dozen times a day.. Buzzing me whenever I wear a red or yellow shirt outdoors. Love these little guys. Will try to get some pictures, if I am quick enough.

DannyC DannyC
Jun '16

Yay!! Happy to hear that Danny

pmnsk pmnsk
Jun '16

4catmom is correct..had the job of taking care of the bird feeders where I worked. I never used food coloring (both feeders had red tops), did the ratio but added just a little bit more sugar. I cleaned the feeders twice a week with white vinegar and hot water.

The hummingbirds came around every year, sometimes late and sometimes early.

positive positive
Jun '16

Love the hummingbirds when the feeder is empty and they hover in your face as if to let me know;)

Blackcat Blackcat
Jun '16

positive - Exactly what I did. Works for at least six hummingbirds feeding multiple times every day now. They love a little more sugar (up to 30%) and a super clean feeder (scrubbed and disinfected every two weeks), with no food coloring. The hummingbirds seem to like the red and yellow color of the feeder base and cover, plus the huge purple petunia hanging next to it, which they also feed on.

DannyC DannyC
Jun '16

I have not seen them here either - my feeder is out

skippy skippy
Jun '16

originally had one female visitor - more recently just one male - used to have more and the males used to chase each other away

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '16

These were males - you can tell by the beautiful rose color on their throats

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '16

Blackcat - Don't wear red or yellow until you fill the feeder. Hummingbirds are incredibly mobile!

4catmom - When hummingbirds are mating, they seem like they are fighting (well, maybe they are), and they make a hell of a screeching racket, even scaring the hunter cat..

DannyC DannyC
Jun '16

Can anyone help me out here????

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '16

Had one yesterday.

Got bluebirds, bluejays, and the best looking cardinals I have seen in years.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jun '16

calico - that's well known as the humminghorse-- if you were to post it on the facebook bird misidentification page -you would be forced to bake muffins for all the members -
same with the falcon in a tree --
lol

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '16

Is that a horse or a donkey? Looks more like a donkey to me, but if you ask my wife I don't know my ass from my elbow, so maybe it IS a horse.

ianimal ianimal
Jun '16

strangerdanger - I also like the cardinals, got a pair hanging out, probably raising a family, with very distinguishable little peeps from them. Also have a mockingbird, who imitates everyone. The humming birds are here in force, going to the feeder a dozen times a day, sipping two dozen times or more per visit.

DannyC DannyC
Jun '16

That must be fun to watch you elbow your way through a crowd.

Jun '16

strangerdanger - My neighbors on both sides of my condo also put up their own hummingbird feeders, and now the hummingbirds are sipping every half hour at my feeder, then going back and forth to the other feeders. Very happy for these little birds. I love them, but still alarmed by hummingbirds buzzing me whenever I wear red or yellow shirts outdoors.

DannyC DannyC
Jun '16

My feeder's had a lot of activity as well. They're so fun to watch!

Hummingbirds just finished off the entire feeder, and had to fill it again....Hungry Birds!

DannyC DannyC
Jun '16

Moved a hanging basket with fan flower (scaevola) in it from the deck to the yard. It had gotten a bit of frost bite from that early spring cold night of 38 degrees. Since it's all recovered now, it's serving it's purpose very well now and finally attracted the first hummingbird I've seen all year.

Woohoo!

GC - Wish I could herd some of my hummers to your place.

DannyC DannyC
Jul '16

GC - Bambi's mom just deadheaded all of my dianthus and the big rose, but it's OK, since I would have had to do it anyway, and she left most of the remaining flowers, guessing that they weren't as tasty as the dead stuff. Meanwhile, the hummingbird babies are growing quickly, sipping at the feeder up to 100 times per visit, and starting to show their colors.

DannyC DannyC
Jul '16

MB- That picture is AWESOME!!! what lens did you use?

Nosila Nosila
Jul '16

Nosila - The data in the picture says Nikon 70.0-200.0 mm f/2.8 ED VR 2 (at 200mm).

Still waiting for photos, Danny

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '16

4catmom - Working on photos next week. Still have medical issues, watching the hummingbirds from my windows, and cannot get close-ups right now. But I'll try.

DannyC DannyC
Jul '16

They have been more active of late. A wonder to watch.

Grascal
Jul '16

I have 2 feeders up - we are seeing plenty of them!!!

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Jul '16

Thanks GC! I cant get that information when I'm on my phone :)

Nosila Nosila
Jul '16

Yet another complaint about PVPOA maintenance: During their power wash today, they also power washed my rose and my neighbor's numerous potted plants, which were carefully placed well away from the structure, but losing many of her blooms. Whatever chemicals they used will hopefully be rinsed off, causing no harm. They also used my water, not public water, to power wash five two story units. Scared the $hit out of the hummingbirds, driving them away for now. Sure they will come back soon.

DannyC DannyC
Jul '16

Well you'll be away from the problems in 3 months or less ...no problem with the power washing and deck painting in my neighborhood last year. You sure seem to have bad luck

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '16

I guess we won't be seeing the pictures of DannyC's hummingbirds that he was promising us. I'm still waiting for the picture of his amazing rose bush !! Excuses...excuses !

Mariann Mariann
Jul '16

Mariann -

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/735612\
Scroll down to the sixth post from the end.
This is part of the rose, taken on June 1, when it was still budding. The best I can do, since all blooms are gone now.

Will try to get some hummingbird close-ups as soon as they return.

DannyC DannyC
Jul '16

Mariann - An update: The power washer blasters blew the bottom off of my hummingbird feeder, threaded as it was. No big deal, got a new one at the Dollar Store for $10. But the hummingbirds who used take up to 100 sips per visit now only stay for 6 to 8 sips, to quick for me to get photos, even if I wear red or yellow shirts that they used to like to buzz. Are they scared of people now?

DannyC DannyC
Jul '16

We have em. Too fast to grab a picture though. Hitting up the Hosta's and Lillie's.

Jul '16

Danny - did you not know to clear the deck and surrounding area before the power washing? Advanced notice is given. Last year I decided not to put out planters for that reason.

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '16

4catmom - 8 feet away from the structure on a separated fence/partition should have been enough room for the power washers to work. But since they hooked up to my water outlet, they evidently tested the blaster in my area, don't know for sure, was not here, if I was would have put a stop to it. My next door neighbor put all of her potted plants on the end of my patio, 20 feet from the water outlet, and they destroyed some if her blooms as well. Just careless work.

DannyC DannyC
Jul '16

SD- I find it funny that others were able to grab a pic, that is assuming they didn't have such overwhelming obstacles like Danny has.

positive positive
Jul '16

SD and positive - Need a good SLR camera and telephoto lens to grab hummingbird pictures from a distance of 10 feet. A TrakFone gives you no opportunities.

DannyC DannyC
Jul '16

SD and positive - My youngest daughter, Kim, is a camera buff, and she is coming over on Saturday with her Nikon, high resolution telephoto lenses and tripod to get pictures. The hummingbirds are now feeding at a rate of 30 sips per visit, every 20 minutes or sooner, so she should be able to get some good shots. Will post them as soon as they are available. Wish her luck.

Meanwhile, gave the climbing rose a boost of Bayer rose food, and it is pushing out new red shoots everywhere. Not sure if it will bloom again this year, but lots of leaves filled in everywhere, many over nine feet up.

DannyC DannyC
Jul '16

Please ask her to take pix of all the beautiful things you've told us about in your garden

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '16

4catmom - Only have herbs now, flower blooms are gone, and cannot afford to replace them until the fall with mums. Disappointing flower season for me, but a wide variety of tasty herbs for cooking. Consult GC for the best flower expertise and great pictures.

DannyC DannyC
Jul '16

Thought I would give try to take some pics of the hummingbirds...happy with a few of them.

I have to order a remote for my camera so I can use a better lens

Nosila Nosila
Jul '16

Looks like you did just fine without Nosila. Nice capture of the wings.

Great picture!

Bessie Bessie
Jul '16

We haven't seen many in the area over the past few years either, they're fascinating to watch when you do see one. Had a business meeting out in the Phoenix area in Feb and there were so many there it was amazing, almost like swarms of insects around flowering trees and bushes, you all would have liked it.

Cynic
Jul '16

One flew right up to my face yesterday. Hosta's are flowering.

Jul '16

I can't keep the ants off and out of my feeder. I have tried 2 sided tape, Vaseline, fly strips. I am very discouraged. Any suggestions would help. Thanks.

auntiel auntiel
Jul '16

Any sightings lately? The wasps have been taking over my feeders.

We still have them in Blairstown but not as many as we had two weeks ago.

red76nj red76nj
Sep '16

Yes, Iris. I have hummingbirds visiting the flowers in pots on my front deck.

Chickadee mobile Chickadee mobile
Sep '16

We still have a few females visiting our feeder many times a day. The males left us over a week ago. I am so sorry to see them leave. They come to drink and look in the kitchen window while we are eating. I think they are thanking us for their meal. Too cute.

justwondering justwondering
Sep '16

I was just thinking that I hadn't seen any yesterday - I've been down to what I think are 2 - adult and young female...........I'll miss them...........

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '16

heard they migrated early this year :)

I've seen more lately than earlier in the year. It's probably getting tougher to find plants for them. I have a lot of phlox around that that seems to be doing well, plus at least one guinea impatien they seem to go after.

had a female at the feeder this morning

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '16

Any more hummingbirds spotted lately? I seem to only have bees visiting my feeders and I'm ready to take them down.

they are gone

Oct '16

I haven't seen anymore either, took my feeders down until next year..sadly.

I still had a female feeding on Thursday, food is going down. I am leaving it out. They can still be migrating ( or heard about Matthew and decided to hang around a few more days.)

Oct '16

I always heard you were to take down your feeders around Labor Day so it would encourage them to migrate.

Sally Sally
Oct '16

Bumping this up for 2017.
Any sighting yet??

I just put my feeders out today in anticipation for their arrival. (4/19 thru 4/23). Hoping to see them soon!!

lola - I put out my feeders, too, but since I moved several miles away, I don't think I'll have the same crowd. Love those little guys, and looking forward to being buzzed by them when wearing red or yellow shirts. As soon as I see one, I'll let you know.

DannyC DannyC
Apr '17

Ok, I'm going to put my feeders out tomorrow! Thank you!

First sighting for me, i am thrilled. Just finished making food, I will put it out when cool. My husband and I were cleaning garage floor, it flew in and out so fast but I couldn't miss the sound. The feeder hangs about 4' from kitchen window and they entertain us all season long.

Apr '17

Yay! The 1st spotting is always so exciting! I just put out fresh feeders, fingers crossed I see them soon!

A female hummingbird showed at one of my feeders today, 5/2/2017.

DannyC DannyC
May '17

Finally saw my first male hummer today!

Grew some zinnias and daisies from seeds and they are now over 4 feet high. The hummers go for them even more than their sugar water feeders

DannyC DannyC
Aug '17

I know its early and still cold, but I put out my hummingbird feeders. Also planted some popular flowers from seeds. Love those little guys, and hope to see them soon.

DannyC DannyC
Apr '18

I've been wondering the same thing they always show up here in Port Murray in April! I've had my feeders out for weeks now. Hope they show up soon. I've had the same ones and their offspring coming for years! Just keep changing the sugar water!!

I've been watching for them also.. according to Audubon they should be close...

http://www.audubon.org/news/when-expect-hummingbirds-your-yard-spring?ms=digital-eng-email-ea-x-20180428_hummingbird_medium&utm_source=ea&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20180428_hummingbird&utm_content=medium

Grascal
Apr '18

We had one today. Nice to see them again.

Mr. Resident Mr. Resident
Apr '18

Yahoo!!!!! The Hummers have arrived this morning!!! Had 2 welcome home guys! Your sweet water has been waiting for your return!!! Happy Day!!!!

Not sure...sugar and water does the trick

Hank Arthur
Apr '18

"Finally saw my first male hummer today!"

PSA: if you ever receive an email with this in the subject header, do NOT click on the link. (-;

ianimal ianimal
Apr '18

one part sugar, 5 parts water - no red colored junk and clean with hot water and vinegar regularly

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '18

Has the formula changed, 4catmom? I've always done 4 part water to 1 part sugar.

I had one this morning before I left for work. Can't think of a better way to start a Monday

Animal_Lover_Always
Apr '18

I always use 1 part sugar to 4 parts water. They love it. Don't buy the red mix stuff. I am eagerly awaiting their visit.

Apr '18

dang - sorry - I stand corrected 1:4...............though our first - or at least first observed - was happy to have it...............

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '18

here's our visitor

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '18

great photo catch 4cat!!

rleaf rleaf
Apr '18

Fantastic shot 4catmom and I love your feeder.

positive positive
May '18

Thanks - It's Robert's pix - he got lucky -- and I just added another hummer feeder---I have to be careful as a few years ago the bees found it and built a huge nest under the siding- it took a lot of doing to get rid of them all............

4catmom 4catmom
May '18

First hummingbird of the season today 5/2/18. Took 20 nonstop sips from the feeder. Looking forward to the rest of the family. Welcome!

DannyC DannyC
May '18

Just spotted our first hummingbird. East Prospect St.

Rick S. Rick S.
May '18

had a humming bird sit on my deck railing last night and looked at me ... "come on put out the food already .... "

May '18

First hummingbird sighting for me on Schooley's Mtn. Food is out for our little male. Thrilled.

Apr '19

We just got our feeder out! Hope to see one soon!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '19

Just put the feeder out yesterday. Now the wait begins...

Blackcat Blackcat
Apr '19

I put mine out a couple of days ago, now I wait!

A friendly reminder to not use nectar containing red dye, and do not add red dye if you make the nectar from scratch.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '19

I got my first hummingbird visit this year about an hour ago (Willow Grove section of town)

Nancy Nancy
Apr '19

Had our first male yesterday in Panther Valley

exphysics teacher
Apr '19

Thank you for posting - will get my feeder out

Apr '19

Put my feeder out four days ago. Had the first visitor three days ago, now I have at least two males.

Mr 4paws Mr 4paws
Apr '19

They were turned back because there green cards were not in order

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Apr '19

Close, but nothing yet.....................

Gerry Gerry
Apr '19

So glad this topic flew in, again. We’ve been arguing back and forth, as to when to put up the hummingbird feeder. Now I’ve got my ammo...I won. Thank you, for posting about your feeders and cool photos.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Apr '19

saw one on the feeder and one flying around yesterday --- YAY

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '19

Awesome post !

I have a bay kitchen window with an awning over it. I am watching a hummingbird build a nest in between the window and the awning. It will be cool when the babies are born.

Bobbob Bobbob
Apr '19

First sighting at 7:45 pm!!
So happy they’re back!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '19

the vet who own hackettstown animal hospital rehabs them

Apr '19

Spotted the first one at our feeder this morning-yay!

Blackcat Blackcat
May '19

here are the birds

https://www.facebook.com/Alltime10s/videos/429602087805907/

May '19

My first try with a hummingbird feeder. I’m optimistic that they will come feed.

Bessie Bessie
May '19

A second hummer showed up today. These little birds bring me so much happiness.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '19

Still no hummingbirds..Clyde is very bummed out.

Bessie Bessie
May '19

No "hummers" yet? Someone suggested building a platform about 8l/2 by 11 inches and put plastic cups (bathroom size) on top screwing the cups down to prevent them from falling.

Fill these cups (say 2-3) with grape jelly. Hanging this so the squirrels don't have excess to this platform.

Only problem is: like feeders, it draws bees.

Now here is what one should do to get rid of these bees:

Take a plastic bottle, push a couple of sides inward, fill with a cup (or less) of beer and hang near the "hummers' feed. Empty this bottle every few days depending on how many bees (bugs) are in it. Refill it with the beer again.

**This "bottle" thing is a campers trick.

Bernie Bernie
May '19

Has anyone ever put up a feeder and not had any hummingbirds? Do you keep it up all summer or not bother? I am changing the water in it just in case, lol.

Bessie Bessie
May '19

I've seen one or two - usually I see several daily - not sure what's going on this year -

4catmom 4catmom
May '19

Be patient they will come. It’s early.

Indie Indie
May '19

I put petunias in the window boxes on the deck Sunday including some red ones. 7:13 this morning is the official time of the first humming bird sighting of the season.

Bessie - try having a hanging basket with something red in it besides the feeder. Also agree with the others that it's just still early.

I volunteer at a national wildlife refuge and get to work with a guy very knowledgeable on hummingbirds. Besides the sugar water feeders he puts out fruit to attract insects that hummingbirds need to thrive. Here is an extract that describes what you can do:

FRUIT PLATE: Coarsely chop sweet fruits such as melons, bananas, and oranges, and add them to a hanging dish or tray feeder. Within a day or two, the fruit will attract insects, and hummingbirds will readily investigate the buzzing flies as a food source. Ideally, hang the fruit plate in a tree or from an elevated hook or gutter, as hummingbirds prefer to stay above the ground and will be less likely to visit a low tray or platform.

FRUIT SLURRY: Create fruit slurry using canned fruit syrup, mashed banana, a splash of hummingbird nectar, a spoonful of sugar, and a spoonful of cake or pancake batter, mixing it to a consistency of a thick brownie batter. Feel free to use your own sweet ingredients in the mix, so long as the consistency is similar. Spread that slurry directly on tree branches or trunks, or use a short section of log or a board that can hang from branches or hooks as an impromptu feeder. Insects will swarm to feed on the slurry, and hummingbirds will feed on the swarm.

Albert Albert
May '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.