Today I Learned

I wanted to start a new thread where we can share something new we learned that day.

I will kick it off:

Today I learned - there is a $100 coin that is legal U.S. tender. They weigh one ounce and are 99.95% platinum. This is the highest face value ever to appear on a U.S. coin.

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/american_eagles/?Action=american_eagle_platinum

Skippy Skippy
Oct '14

An ounce of platinum is worth well over $1,000. I'll give anyone $250 for each $100 coin you have (-;

ianimal ianimal
Oct '14

Good thread Skippy!

Christine Christine
Oct '14

If platinum is $1000 per ounce - the government is spending $1000 to make a $100 coin.
Seems to me they are losing $900 every time they make a coin. I can believe that they are doing this. It's the new economy. The Treasury Department is being run By Milo Minderbinder of Joseph Heller's Catch 22. That was his mode of operation.

I am glad I learned something today, from Skippy.

DiaHillRes2 DiaHillRes2
Oct '14

From another thread, that Calico has followers lmao

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Oct '14

I learned that too Clyde. I will be offline for a bit trying to deciding what I can do with that information. Insert evil laugh here. :P

Good thread Skippy. Great minds think alike. ;-)

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/558292

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

That showering in the Walmart bathroom is perfectly acceptable but you first must make sure you enter the correct bathroom. For me showering in the women's bathroom wasn't acceptable. To the women who walked in on a 56 year old over weight naked man in the woman's bathroom at Walmart today, I'm sorry for scaring you. I mean no harm.

sack
Oct '14

To be clear... the US Mint is not issuing these coins as currency. The $100 face value of the Platinum Proof coin is "largely symbolic"... as is the $50 1 ounce Gold Proof coin and the $1 one ounce Silver Proof coin that are also available. They are traded according to the market price (plus a decent mark-up, I'm sure...) of the precious metal they contain.

From Skippy's link:

As America's official platinum bullion coin, American Eagle Platinum Bullion Coins give investors an easy way to take advantage of platinum as a precious metal investment. Authorized by Congress in 1996 and first issued in 1997, they are the first and only official investment-grade platinum coins from the United States Government. American Eagle Platinum coins are part of a complete precious metals portfolio available from the United States Mint. The American Eagle Platinum is the only platinum bullion coin whose weight, content and .9995 purity are guaranteed by the United States Government.

All American Eagles are legal tender coins, with their face value imprinted in U.S. dollars. Although their face value is largely symbolic, it provides proof of their authenticity as official U.S. coinage. The one-ounce platinum coin displays the highest face value ($100) ever to appear on a U.S. coin.

The American Eagle Platinum Bullion Coins come in a one ounce size only.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '14

...that Spade Cooley, western swing big band leader, tv personality, and actor, career was ended when he was convicted of murdering his 2nd wife.

Space Cooley - Oklahoma Stomp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D14M9uW5sF0

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Oct '14

thanks for those that enjoy the thread - thanks Calico - yours didn't come up when I searched or I would have added to that one :)

Skippy Skippy
Oct '14

** Bonus

During World War II, British soldiers got a ration of three sheets of toilet paper a day. Americans got 22.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=jq8pm--mAuwC&lpg=PA288&ots=etQdS1CRVK&dq=TOILET%20PAPER%20WWII%20SOLDIERS%203%20SHEETS&pg=PA288#v=onepage&q&f=false

Skippy Skippy
Oct '14

Sack, that was really funny! Today I learned that the chicken pot pie at Valley Pub is delicious and filling.

Bruin Bruin
Oct '14

I learned Walmart has showers. Really Sack?

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Oct '14

I learned that I can't find Tylenol PM anywhere... Ugghhh had a tooth pulled earlier this week and haven't had a decent nights sleep since. Looks like a Grey Goose night.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Oct '14

JrzyGirl88, Shop Rite has their version of Tylenol PM. It is on the top shelf towards the right. Just read the label. It says the same as Tylenol PM. I had to resort to using that since I haven't been able to find Tylenol for a long time !

Mariann Mariann
Oct '14

Tylenol PM has 500 mg of acetaminophen and 25 mg of diphenhydramine (aka Benadryl.)

Acetaminophen and Grey Goose don't mix too well.

If I really wanted a Tylenol PM equivalent, I would head to Wal-Mart and get some Equate Allergy relief tablets or other super-inexpensive 25mg diphenhydramine and choose my NSAID (ibuprofen or aspirin for usually, occasionally naproxen...but never that liver-killing acetaminophen unless I haven't had any adult beverages for a day or so.) Cheap nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are available everywhere.

I am not a physician and this is not intended to be medical advice.... just my opinion.

I did have a "Recreational Medicine" practice when I was a little kid, though ;-)

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Oct '14

Thanks for the tips!! Mariann I am off to Shop-Rite now so I will grab some. I'm allergic to both ibuprofen and asprin, so that leaves out any anti-inflammatories I can think of or could find on google. If only I could take them I think that would solve the problem. I really was just kidding about the Grey Goose. I could only drink ice cold and that would probably send me over the edge LOL!!

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Oct '14

I learned that tomorrow is National Vodka Day!! That's perfect since I have plans to go out for a few "vodka" drinks tomorrow night!

today I learned:

the oldest subway tunnel in the world has had its only entrance welded shut, and it contains a 100+ year old steam engine.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/5/5280920/tunnel-vision-bob-diamond-fights-for-the-atlantic-avenue-subway

Skippy Skippy
Oct '14

I learned the difference between a fiddle and a violin.
they are the exact same instrument the difference is the music that is being played.

Fiddle - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTMfE8ZAfwg
Violin - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRLrqIjy9qA

Another name for a harmonica too is mouth organ...and doesn't make much difference what type music is played...but I think in the South it is more apt to be called mouth organ..

joyful joyful
Oct '14

At Community Day I learned that some people think the HL Calico696 is Elise from Calico Country Flowers - for those who don't know, they are not one and the same.

Wendy @ Hkt BID Wendy @ Hkt BID
Oct '14

joyful - Some call it a harp as well.

Wendy - Yes, thank you. I am not affiliated with Calico County Flowers in any capacity.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

Today my friend Bubba and I learned chipmunks have a very extensive knowledge of four letter words.

nice

Skippy Skippy
Oct '14

Last night I was flipping channels and learned that the Amish have a practice of planting a tree over the grave of someone they deem evil. It is their thought that the tree will absorb the evil spirit and keep it in that one place. Found that interesting.

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '14

Nice one Becky

Skippy Skippy
Oct '14

hehe. No one has called me Becky since I was 10. Always makes me smile.

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '14

Re: Today I Learned

a Swedish fish can be stretched 22 inches

Skippy Skippy
Oct '14

Omg I have to try Skippy. theyre my favorite when I have an upset stomach. LOL

Christine Christine
Oct '14

agreed

Skippy Skippy
Oct '14

Thomas Jefferson invented the coat hanger.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '14

Wild

Skippy Skippy
Oct '14

He also invented the dumb waiter. (Not the person, the mini elevator!)

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Oct '14

Plants, like humans, can run a fever if they are sick.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '14

Horehound is an herb of the mint family and yes, it's pronounced exactly how you think.

What made you interested in horehound, sue? It is an herb useful for a dry sore throat & hoarseness, so it's an ingredient in some cough drops. An infusion of the leaves helps expel mucus.

happiest girl
Oct '14

nice!!

Skippy Skippy
Oct '14

the definition of skippy
to skip over a series of grooves, or worse yet, cause the needle to skip backwards, creating an unintentional locked groove that repeats the same 1.8 seconds (at 33¨÷ RPM) or 1.3 seconds (at 45 RPM) of track over and over again.

kind of like saying the same thing over and over

today i learned that -

it's not smart to try and keep a feral cat inside at night because you think it's cold outside

got up at 5:30 and found: all the lower kitchen cabinet doors ajar; wrought iron plant stand tipped over and all the potted plants strewn across the floor, foot prints on the kitchen counters and kitchen table, (what a mess); oh! and a nice surprise in the laundry room that needed to be cleaned up, (what, little stray feral kitty, you couldn't use the nice litter box we set out?)

live and learn i guess

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Oct '14

BD - Nice guys finish last. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

Meany lol

Skippy Skippy
Oct '14

CBGB-

the definition of Skippy-

an upbeat, pleasant guy.

happiest girl
Oct '14

here's a skippy quote ....there is nothing upbeat or pleasant here

Drivers are on the road going from one place to another for some specific purpose - you are there for exercise - go do that someplace else.

Stop acting like bicyclists enjoy Carte Blanche on the roads like a vehicle - you do not.

Bicyclists are erratically moving hazards - stop riding like an NYC bike messenger or Tour de France wanna be - stay off the main roads - get out of the way.

Oh come on, now, CBGB. It is not pick-on-Skippy day. It is Friday Funnies day.

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '14

OK, today I learned:
Calico taught me that "Nice guys finish last. :>)

I guess that's why bad girls love nice guys :>))
(it's Friday funnies time!)

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Oct '14

done deal R

To drive a Fire Truck in NJ, You don't need to have a CDL license.
That means any volunteer can drive a fire Truck.
I think that crazy!

sweet-pea sweet-pea
Oct '14

I also learned that you do not need a CDL license to drive a fire truck (CDL licenses are for Commercial Vehicles) but you do need to qualify for operating the pumps before you can drive the fire truck...

joyful joyful
Oct '14

You also need ff1 and chauffeur / pump operator certification and hazmat operations also I am pretty sure nobody is going to let you drive a 250k truck with no training

Skippy Skippy
Oct '14

I learned that Muhammad Ali took up boxing because his bike was stolen. Thanks Clyde Potts :)

I learned that you can earn 1k a week standing in line for people

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/professional-line-sitters-2014-7

skippy skippy
Oct '14

Today I learned, that little old ladies still go to the grocery store with rollers in their hair, the pink plastic ones. To cute.

auntiel auntiel
Oct '14

Ha ha that is cute - and cbgb I Apoliogize if I hurt your feelings in a previous post.

skippy skippy
Oct '14

Today I learned that I (a 5'7, 140 lb woman) could slip into a giants uniform and play better than the pros. I mean, come on guys! WTF was that?!?!

Ru4real Ru4real
Oct '14

http://www.wjrr.com/onair/lynch-taco-39830/meet-the-former-fl-school-teacher-12855153

Today I learned you can make 9k a month to shake your butt on youtube

skippy skippy
Oct '14

I learned that Muhammad Ali took up boxing because his bike was stolen. Thanks Clyde Potts :)

maja

maja, I am a veritable plethora of information

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Oct '14

There are 2 wonderful new eateries in Philly...... for Hummus lovers, and for Pho lovers.

"Dizengoff" on Sansom Street has daily made never refrigerated hummus with unique garnishes (... red peppers simmered with pomegranate, crushed walnuts, Yemenite hawaj curry, dusted with smoky black flecks of Urfa chilies, charred eggplants, corn with fenugreek, zucchini with mint & toasted hazelnuts...) and freshly baked pitas..... pickles and salad included .... $9 - $11.

dizengoffphilly.com

"Stock" on Girard Avenue uses a 20 hour process to make their hormone-free Pho broth but according to reviews truly excells with their Mushroom Pho (Vegan) which is reportedly 'umami' heaven. Also on the menu are daily are various Banh Mi hoagies, with a winning one being a "custardy tofu, garlic marinade, pickled cabbage, and creamy Japanese mayo".
entrees - $7 - $9

stockphilly.com

happiest girl
Oct '14

there is a new butcher shop opening in Morris Plains. Currently under remodeling but will be opening within the next week or so..

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Oct '14

hurt my feelings? your comment gave me a good laugh and your bike post made you look like a jerk

Today I learned to check the little section on the back of the dvd case to see which language the movie is in. I did not watch the Swedish movie or the Portuguese/Spanish movie.

It was not today that I learned this but every day that you need to bring nature in to your life watch the animals , the changing seasons and all that surrounds your life . treat those in your life as you want to be in turn be treated , trust your feelings .be at peace blessed be to all

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Oct '14

Cows do not have upper front teeth.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Oct '14

today i learned that i am more afraid of clowns than i am of ebola

creepy clowns top my fear list when compared with the ebola breakout

did *NOT* know that before,

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Oct '14

Today I learned that nobody knows anything about the Drakestown rd apartments. Or so it seems.

+1 - me too

skippy skippy
Oct '14

For you Brother Dog. Ist step of a 12 step program!

John C John C
Oct '14

I learned the prices of pajamas for boys at Target....also learned that the girl pj's are far more appealing than what they have for boys

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

Second step! A bit more difficult because this clown has Ebola...

yankeefan yankeefan
Oct '14

I hate clowns as well. Creeeeeepy!

I learned that Japanese flying dwarf squirrels are adorable.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

john C - i'm having some trouble taking that first step!

(creepy, creepy and creepy describes those three)

please . . . . . don't make me do it

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Oct '14

Maja me too! I had no idea they were there. Probably the only ones I have not checked into.

Christine Christine
Oct '14

iPhone-imal

"Cows do not have upper front teeth."

I beg to differ

Number 10 Number 10
Oct '14

I learned that greyhound puppies are MUCH different than the adult greyhounds.

that parents with no manners will have children with no manners.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Oct '14

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree Jrzy.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

Exactly Calico.It was so bad at the event I attended I actually asked the coordinator if they do an adult only tour

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Oct '14

I already knew that the song Guns Of Brixton by THE Clash is a fine song but I didn't know there is at least 36 cover versions on you tube
and I didn't count people just playing it and actually stopped counting

Jimmy Cliff
Nouvelle Vague
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Arcade Fire
Chicha Libre
Calexico
Dub Spencer & Trance Hill
Kurt Vile & the Violators
Inner Terrestials
Hibakusha
Rupa & The April Fishes
The Honeydippers
Les Touffes Kretiennes
Alger
The Beautiful Girls
Terraform
Dit Toten Hosen
Banda Bassotti
Blaggers ITA
Radici nel cement
Sad
Fabulosos Cadillacs
Dropkick Murphys
Crustiroc
Oncle Strongle
Anti-Flag
Unwritten Law
Septentrional
Veeblefetzer & The Manigolds
The Anacondas
Nahuatl Sound System
BB Brunes
Bolchoi
Union Jack
5MDR
Chuck Prophet

the three I liked best?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oVpJabUtTE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JLwjnnLhOY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwmaRy_O4Gw

Too bad I can't unlearn that "puppy-sized" spiders exist.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/goliath-encounter-puppy-sized-spider-surprises-scientist-in-rainforest/

the xylophone is a percussion instrument

lollipopz
Oct '14

Sheep don't recognize each other right after they've been sheared. They smell and look so different that they're all disoriented for a few days and can sometimes fight, thinking that new sheep have been introduced and they need to battle for supremacy all over again.

http://atmymothersknee.blogspot.com.au/2012_05_01_archive.html

skippy skippy
Oct '14

"xylophone is a percussion instrument"

yep to that, and so is the piano

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Oct '14

Q: Is the piano a string instrument or a percussion instrument?
A: The piano is really a "hybrid"--a combination of two types. It's a string instrument because the musical tones originate in the strings; and it's also a percussion instrument, because the strings are set into vibration by being struck with hammers. To be historically correct, it's classified as a "keyed zither" by musicologists.

Today I learned my neighbor gotz Bootz. I gotz White Shoes, but the neighbor's 4 white shoez is "Bootz".

White Shooes White Shooes
Oct '14

Today I learned the truth about what my Mom was trying to tell me growing up: "Don't believe all that you see and even less what you read!".

joyful joyful
Oct '14

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9800EEDD163AE033A2575AC0A9669D94679FD7CF

Today I learned that Jessie Bilby was the "shortest man in Hackettstown" on October 8, 1886.

skippy skippy
Oct '14

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2001/07/29/loc_naked_cowboy_back_in.html

The nakey cowboy lives here lol

skippy skippy
Oct '14

I saw him up close and personal several years ago - kind of funny to see him in the middle of the mobs

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

funny right? - would be neat to see him around town lol

skippy skippy
Oct '14

sure has nice buns

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

He has been here in Hackettstown. I can't remember when exactly (quite a few years ago), but he stood on the corner next to Rich Fixit.

http://www.space.com/22597-space-poop-astronaut-toilet-explained.html

it takes 45 minutes to take a poo in zero gravity.

skippy skippy
Nov '14

uh I don't mean to get too personal but, Skippy - what exactly were you searching for that led you to that information?

5catmom 5catmom
Nov '14

lol reading about the international space station

skippy skippy
Nov '14

Lol love the lesson in space poo!

NoUseForAname NoUseForAname
Nov '14

If your parents had no children, chances are you won't either.

Cliff R Cliff R
Nov '14

The face amount on the $100 platinum coin means nothing since the coins sell for at least $2k. I guess since it's legal tender the $100 is the least it could ever be worth.

Melvin Belli Melvin Belli
Nov '14

in January 1997, the capitol of Ghana rioted over accusations of penis snatching wizards. Several people were killed by mobs who accused them of using magic handshakes to kidnap penises and hold them for ransom.

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/9701/18/briefs/ghana.penis.html

skippy skippy
Nov '14

Today I learned when a pig gets unruly on a plane to the point it gets thrown off they call it an "emotional support service animal".

Also learned "broth" is apparently Madison Ave speak for "I can't get this &@%@ cat food out of the &@%@ pouch".

ok skippy - I'm beginning to wonder what living in the south has done to your formerly sensible sensibilities...seriously???

5catmom 5catmom
Nov '14

ha ha I am broken y'all lol

skippy skippy
Nov '14

http://www.historyhouse.com/in_history/washington/

George Washington refused a salary for commanding the armies of the Revolutionary War, asking only to have his expenses reimbursed. He later presented Congress with an expense account totaling $449,261.51, worth $4.25 million today. He asked for the same deal as President and was refused.

skippy skippy
Dec '14

That the gentlemen who own BEEKMAN 1802 are the nicest people.

tidy
Dec '14

Today I learned that the NJIT Highlanders beat the 17th ranked Michigan Wolverines in college hoops, on their home court. LMAO...

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Dec '14

Today I learned what the "Road Soda" definition is courtesy of Urban Dictionary thru Calico.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Road%20Soda
I dont think I want any. I have go take my wish off the A to Z wish thread.

Old Gent Old Gent
Dec '14

That I did not know what a "road soda" was either. Don't feel bad, Old Gent....honest mistake..

joyful joyful
Dec '14

the founder of Victoria's Secret sold the company in 1982 for $1 Million and killed himself in 1993 by jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/31/victorias-secret_n_4181683.html

skippy skippy
Dec '14

Just read an article which referred to a "dendochronologist" and gave no explanation of what that is. As if everyone *knows* what a dendochronologist does for a living! Well, I for one had to look it up. Pretty sure I had never seen that word before. Dendochronology is the study of tree rings for the purpose of scientifically dating certain events. Ya learn something new every day!

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '15

It certainly would have "stumped " me....

yankeefan yankeefan
Feb '15

You certainly got to the root of the problem, Rebecka. Time to branch out to other words.
And btw, I had no idea either.

Mr. Resident Mr. Resident
Feb '15

does any one know how much silver half dollar coins are worth

"Dendochronologist" was a Jeopardy clue on one of the Saturday series of repeat shows a few months ago.

matt - Coins depend on date and condition. Go to the local library and look it up in the coin catalog in the reference section. Alternately go a search for the year and condition on eBay.

is there anyone here that can help me i have alot of coins dont know what there worth

how do you clean old coins

Today I learned that in Norway, not only is there no death penalty nor life sentencing... but the maximum sentence for ANY crime is 21 years! Imagine that, and then try to imagine that here in the US! Needless to say, their incarceration system is just a BIT more focused on rehabilitation.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '15

One thing we excel at in the US is putting people in jail!

brown bear
Mar '15

Matt, only low grade or low value coins will benefit from cleaning. In many cases cleaning a rare or valuable coin will lower it's value considerably.

I used to be indecisive..... now I'm not so sure.

sallysimpson sallysimpson
Mar '15

Brown Bear, you said it! Something else I learned..... crime pays... mostly the cops, lawyers and prisons. There is a PUBLIC company called "Corrections corporation of America " , has about 2500 inmates at any given time in just one of their prisons, pays a dividend to investors. How can this be legal?

Mar '15

At the rate of crime in this country, that might be the perfect stock to invest in. Thanks for the tip Sallysimpson!!

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Mar '15

You're welcome, Jrzygirl88! Don't forget me when you're a millionaire... hey, you never know, right? I want to buy this stock, but I feel guilty making money on "predatory capitalism ". Probably most of the inmates are doing 10-20 years, because they got caught with a "doobie" in their pocket, and in some states, 3 times will lock a kid up for a long time. I know.... they should learn after the first arrest, but keeping someone locked up for yrs, (minor offence) at a cost to the taxpayers to the tune of 40 grand a year is ridiculous. Yes... crime pays (only to certain people). See you on your yacht.... hopefully I will be on there, with you:)

Mar '15

I just learned that my friend Jrzygirl is a millionaire with a yacht - I learned she doesn't tell friends everything..............

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '15

There are a lot of idiots out there!

So my original response to Sallysimpson was an off the cuff remark in jest, but since you opened the door...

Chance of you going to Prison for a "doobie" slim to none. And if you get caught with enough marijuana on you that you have a chance of going to Prison, it is not for recreational use.

What about the sex offender who got released early, returned to his neighborhood and raped the little girl down the street within days of his release. Or the Non-Violent 19 year old who was in for a drug offense that was released after doing 10 months of his 18 month term, 6 days after his release he robbed and shot the liquor store owner on the corner for 50 bucks, a pack of cigarettes and the cash in the register. These are the people who are in Prison, not the kid who gets busted for a "doobie" and even these inmates aren't doing 10 - 20 years. That is part of the problem.

As a former law enforcement employee, who has seen horrible acts commited by people who should be dead never mind prison. I believe in truth in sentencing. The recidivism rate in this country is 67% within three years, 76.6% within five years, of those 56.7 % are re-arrested within one year. I don't believe inmate reform in our current system works.

According to the Vera Institute with their latest survey available it costs the State of New Jersey $54,865 to house each inmate, we currently have over 25,000 inmates in our system. So according to your post we could actually save a significant amount by privatizing our correctional facilities.

I have not done much research on Private Prisons, I honestly don't know if they are good or bad, but I do know they have been around since the 1800's. San Quentin was originally a "for profit" facility.

I also know that Wells Fargo Bank, JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, Goldman Sachs and Bill Gates you know the Gates Foundation, have all at one time or another invested, so if it is good enough for them it is certainly good enough for me.

@ 5cat I'm thinking the Greek Isles???

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Mar '15

Scientists Bhullar and colleagues have created a Dino-Chicken: a chicken with the beak of a Velociraptor, via genetic manipulation.

I can't find a picture of one though! If they publish a paper about their Dino-Chicken, I should think we would be entitled to a picture of this fancy new creature!

Rebecka Rebecka
May '15

Want!!

skippy skippy
May '15

We get too soon old and too late smart.

May '15

You *want* a Dino-Chicken, Skippy?! Did you NOT see Jurassic Park?? Things will get out of hand with your new pet very quickly!

Rebecka Rebecka
May '15

Oh wow true ! Don't want !

skippy skippy
May '15

The largest gem-quality diamond ever found in the entire world was shipped from Pretoria to England in a plain box via regular mail in 1905.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '15

Today I learned no matter how unlikely the impact is of a tiny bit of code, it's still exactly what causes normal code to fail.

GC: That's like murphy's law of coding

alpha1beta alpha1beta
May '15

alpha1beta - No, "O'Toole's Law". For those not familiar:

O'Toole's Law: "Mr. Murphy was an optimist."

Also, the Second Law of Thermodynamics as it applies to Programming - "There's always one more bug."

Hoare's Law: "Inside of every large program is a small program struggling to get out..."

Today I learned (by personal trial) that if you are really thirsty at lunch and drink a Red Bull followed by a diet Coke, you basically have superpowers for the rest of the afternoon.

On an unrelated note, I also recently learned that the elephant garlic I love is not garlic at all, but a type of leek! Whaaat?! Wonders never cease.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '15

Interesting Rebecka - the way a red bull + diet Coke makes you run around aimless & unproductive I would have thought you would get 'ADHD' for an afternoon. Is 'superpowers' a new name for that? ;-)

Today I learned how to give an epi-pen.

Believe it or not GC, when one *has* ADD (like I do), stimulants like Red Bull have a paradoxical effect! I know this will sound pretty odd, but I drink Red Bull not for energy, but to be able to focus on a project. I have an Rx for amphetamines for my ADD, but I hate taking something potentially addictive, even occasionally. And Red Bull actually works better for me! (Tip for fellow ADD ppl - try it!)

So when I "chased" the RB with a diet Coke... I was both very focused and had a lot of energy. And also I probably could have scaled a tallish building.

(Note that I do not recommend this to anyone else! Please do not take this much caffeine, it was kind of a mistake, and it's likely a really bad idea for your health!)

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '15

I learned that sometimes you just have to call in the professionals. After getting stung 6 times in the last 2 weeks from a nest (finally found it) in the ground, I called All Seasons Pest Control. Money well spent.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '15

That a banana is not only a fruit but also an herb.

hapiest girl
Aug '15

... about a few new (to me) dog breeds (Aidi, Jindo, Telomian):

www.dogsindepth.com

Awesome site, because it covers global breeds, not just American and European breeds, and arranges them in novel ways. Note to fellow dog and trivia fans: don't click on that link if you have anything pressing to do.

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '15

Wow, Rebecka, you're not kidding...I could get "lost" there for hours! Cool site!

Davis Davis
Oct '15

Well yesterday I learned once again how helpful following HL is!

Someone was telling me they were paying $ 2.67 a gal (without a service contract) for Home Heating Oil which sounded really high - Naturally I went right to the HL thread to look at the companies you guys were using - Voila! - I went right to Hackettstown Oil and gave them a price of $ 1.76! What a savings! Thanks HL!

trekster3- trekster3-
Oct '15

@Trekster, I agree, this is one of the good things about HL..someone can usually help you out or point you in the direction for just about anything.

Bessie Bessie
Oct '15

http://www.thelatestnews.com/single-drop-of-blood-soon-enough-to-diagnose-most-types-of-cancer/

Researchers have developed a blood test that has the potential to accurately diagnose, from a single drop of blood, with 96% certainty for high prevalence carcinoma types - I hope this comes to fruition

Skippy Skippy
Oct '15

TIL despite 82.9% opposition the Swedish government switched the entire country from left-hand side to right-hand side driving in ONE DAY in 1967

http://www.worldstandards.eu/cars/driving-on-the-left/

Skippy Skippy
Oct '15

Bob Ross never received any money for his show, The Joy of Painting. His company, Bob Ross Inc., sold art supplies, how-to videos, and he gave art lessons - also he was a veteran serving 20 years in the USAF and retired as a master SGT

http://mentalfloss.com/article/23260/5-happy-little-things-you-didnt-know-about-bob-ross

Skippy Skippy
Oct '15

How to make a Bob Marley Shot..........flaming optional

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KbG77l2FR4

...how to play "Jolene" and "Proud Mary" (on guitar.)

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Feb '17

Adopting a new adult dog is just as exciting as adopting a new puppy!

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '17

aw - got pics?

skippy skippy
Feb '17

Look in pet photo thread!

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '17

Serena is a beautiful animal congrats

skippy skippy
Feb '17

The French military has trained Golden Eagles to patrol for and take drones out of the sky. Wow!

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '17

Today I learned that a 2 pound chicken is brave enough to steel food from a 90 pound dog and my 90 pound dog learned not to argue with her.

Jesse134 Jesse134
Feb '17

The US has 24,000 troops stationed in South Korea. Wow... I had no idea it was that many.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '17

Learned today that my downstairs neighbor really does care and really is a good person. Great feeling..

positive positive
Jul '17

How many years did that take :)

3- 4 years iJay. I never got to really know him until today and I'm happy that he's on a similar page as my husband and I.

positive positive
Jul '17

There exists a species of jellyfish which can regenerate indefinitely, effectively making them immortal! Thought to be the only species on Earth that never dies.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turritopsis_dohrnii

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '17

Mantis shrimp can see a ton of more colors that we can

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2014/07/03/natures-most-amazing-eyes-just-got-a-bit-weirder/

skippy skippy
Jul '17

I had no idea peppers came in purple! (Just opened the Blue Apron box.)

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '17

LOL.. only Rebecka can take a random pic of a vegetable and end up with 3 fur babies in the background..what no rabbits? :-)

hktownie hktownie
Aug '17

When you live in a zoo, animals are always in the pictures LOL!

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '17

There are purple carrots too!!

happiest girl
Aug '17

And potatoes

skippy skippy
Aug '17

I guess your superlative browser gave you that information, skippy.
Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL !!

happiest girl
Aug '17

You on the internet via the command line ?

skippy skippy
Aug '17

There is such a thing as white moose, which I only found out because a video of one is going viral. Is he not the coolest looking animal?!

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/08/14/rare-white-moose-takes-dip-goes-viral.amp.html

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '17

Very cool!!

Skippy Skippy
Aug '17

Christopher Columbus was jewish. maybe
http://www.khouse.org/articles/1996/109/

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/10-fascinating-facts-about-the-labor-day-holiday/

Interesting facts about Labor Day

Skippy Skippy
Sep '17

Today I learned after cleaning up a glass of milk my husband spilled at lunchtime....Those papertowels that they advertise as "Quicker Picker Uppers" really are not...

joyful joyful
Sep '17

Our Saturn orbiter ends it's long journey. Some interesting facts and pictures.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/cassini_huygens_saturn

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-41262984

maja2 maja2
Sep '17

The world is coming to an end Saturday.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/tech/4474635/end-of-world-september-23-david-meade-great-american-solar-eclipse-planet-x/amp/

andhttps://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/weird/856099/End-of-the-world-The-Rapture-September-23-Nibiru-Planet-X/amp

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/856099/End-of-the-world-The-Rapture-September-23-Nibiru-Planet-X

Today I learned that Trump vowed to "totally destroy North Korea".
This makes Trump the perfect recipient of spontaneous human combustion.

happiest girl
Sep '17

When you know phoning a friend isn't going to cut it...

(Yes, it's apparently a real thing!)

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '17

Rebecka - The library in PA that my mom retired from essentially did the same thing. If you called and asked for the reference desk, they would look up anything and everything for you. There were two ladies there that just enjoyed that sort of thing and thought of it as something fun to do.

That is so neat. I had never heard of such a thing. Would it be wrong to add Auburn to my contacts? I always have so many questions lol. I might actually call them to find the answer to the grammatical question I asked on the stupid question thread (re: favoring a limb expression). I've asked at least 5 other smart people I know the same question, and the answers are just like on HL - split! So I guess there isn't a general consensus, and maybe only a linguist could answer definitively.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '17

Till World War 1, unrestricted and unlimited immigration was the policy of the government except for "Orientals, paupers, imbeciles and prostitutes."
Samuel Eliot Morison, The Oxford History of American Literature (New York: Oxford Univ. Press, 1965) pg. 897

also

Definition and Summary of the 1921 Emergency Quota Act
Definition and Summary: The 1921 Emergency Quota Act, also referred to as the Emergency Immigration Act, the Immigration Restriction Act, the Per Centum Law, and the Johnson Quota Act was sponsored by Albert Johnson, the Republican Representative from Washington and signed into law by President Warren Harding on May 19, 1921.The Emergency Quota Act restricted the number of immigrants to 357,000 per year, and also set down an immigration quota by which only 3 per cent of the total population of any ethnic group already in the USA in 1910, could be admitted to America after 1921

... 65 million years ago, a 48-foot-long, 2500 lb snake roamed the Earth.

Sorry Titanoboa. Not unhappy you are extinct.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '17

I was reading some interesting facts about human behavior today and came across the following:

Pathological liars and compulsive liars are often generalized as the same in general conversation without differentiation between the two. However, according to Steady Health, both of these types of people tell frequent untruths, but there are marked differences that pose different challenges for people around them. A few noteworthy differences between the two include:

Pathological liars sometimes believe their own lies, while compulsive liars see their lies as clearly untrue but can't help themselves from continually saying things that are untrue.
Compulsive liars tend to lie more without reason; almost out of habit and maybe with no real ill intent or motive. Pathological liars are more likely to plan their lies or stories, sometimes fabricating tales so intricate you can't tell they're lying.
Pathological liars are more likely to act defensively when confronted because they may believe their own lies, whereas compulsive liars may be more likely to confess their falsehoods when asked.
Compulsive liars often seem to lack self-control because they lie impulsively. Pathological liars have more control over when they lie and usually have a reason why they do.
On the surface, the two types of lying look the same. With further attention, however, it is easy to decipher some differences between the two.

more of an observation, after watching It's a Wonderful Life , one of my favorite movies.
America is and has been Pottersville for too long.
and I don't see a Bedford Falls America anytime soon.

Speaking of pathological liars...

https://theintercept.com/2017/12/09/the-u-s-media-yesterday-suffered-its-most-humiliating-debacle-in-ages-now-refuses-all-transparency-over-what-happened/

The only problem is counting them all lol

justintime justintime
Dec '17

Of all 50 States, West Virginia has the highest rate of each: obesity, smoking, and drug overdose deaths.

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '17

Today I learned while dogs recognize their owners primarily by sight, cats rely on the sound of their voice. Cats can pick out other cats faces over 90% of the time, but humans barely 50%. Yet they can tell their owners voice 85% of the time. [thanks for the info Purina]

Today I learned a new word (to me anywee)
FEMINEERED
International Harvester used the word in the 50s in ads for their refrigerators.

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/believe

the same part of the brain that responds to a physical threat responds to information that challenges our world view - particularly relevant in our political climate. it illustrates why "fake news" is so divisive.

Skippy Skippy
Mar '18

Today I learned.....that although definitely not as sinful and delicious as brownie batter, getting to lick the spoon from homemade hummus still makes you feel as if you got the reward!

(But yes, brownie batter is always better.) :)

...where immigrants have come from over the years - fascinating: http://metrocosm.com/us-immigration-history-map.html

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '18

Fascinating animation, 4cat!!

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '18

My Grand parents came from Germany in 1890 to get away from the Kaiser. Thats why there were so many Germans at that time.

Old Gent Old Gent
Mar '18

From a book I am reading I learned something connected to the 911 attacks. Not exactly breaking news but something I did not know until now.

Ahmed Shah Massoud was a military leader for Afghanistan during the Russian Occupation and later he fought against the Taliban. He gave a speech to European Parliament in April 2001 with a warning about Bin Laden and a plan to attack America. He was assassinated 9-9-2001 by al Queda opperatives posing as journalists.
I did not know any of this until I read about it in a novel.
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/11/06/massoud.cable/

Don't try to fly out the sink 'cause it's too slippery for takeoff and you end up with snootfull of bubbles when you fall back in bath.

Hello My Name is Ned
Mar '18

aw poor pupper lol

skippy skippy
Mar '18

Nice and timely graphic:

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2018/01/find-out-which-cognitive-biases-alter-your-perspective/

justintime justintime
Mar '18

According to this article, USDA's Wildlife Services killed over 2.3 million animals last year.

https://www.ecowatch.com/wildlife-services-kills-native-animals-2562879506.html

Disturbing.

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '18

Rebecka,
Eat a hamburger, chicken, steak?

Self Righteous Self Righteous
Apr '18

Guess again.

And welcome to the forum, Self Righteous. Lovely first post.

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '18

Today we all learn why the chicken actually crossed the road.

This must have been the 911 operator's best call of the month.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '18

Today I learned a recruiter could say to you in a meeting of 20+ people right before shift work starts, "I may have to kill you.". And two years later, the person who made the threat of homicide still has their job as a recruiter for the staffing company; which supposedly works on-site of a respectable company as contractors. Even when it's reported to your direct superior, it's ignored. And, this from June 2016 give or take a month.

This taught me, that a group of like minded people lie together. Well no, actually scientific papers taught me people lie together in groups.

I saw the persons name in the help wanted section today on the Forum, recruiting people.

nobody nobody
Jun '18

Today I learned that every time I sleep with the windows open, a skunk makes its presence known at 4am.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '18

This morning while walking I learned kids of sufficient age when left alone with side walk chalk will play Rude Word Hangman. ;-)

"Rude Word Hangman" HAHAHA
omg thank goodness for the laughs this forum interjects into my crazy stressful days...!

And the 4AM skunk!! Gotta love it...

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '18

Today I learned that the Google maps thinks the quickest way from point A to point B is to drive to the nearest interstate drive 8 miles north then get back on the southbound side for 8 miles to return to the spot you started and continue another half mile.
Brilliant and I would have just gone the half mile. Thanks Google!!!

Looks like you added a waypoint on the highway (that larger white dot by the exit). It will route you to that first, before the final destination.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jun '18

nobody,

Lying is no longer taboo. It's considered a necessary evil. It's actually encouraged in some careers.

It's not going to get better, only worse.

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Jun '18

Dodgebaal,

In my last post I was describing a crime committed to my person, and the crime of it being covered up. Your comment is basically saying committing a crime is ok since it is in direct reply to my post.

And your last statement you would have to clarify with great detail what you imply by it. If you mean, those people will commit more crimes? Then, yes. It will get worse because of those people.

That's all I have say to you.

nobody nobody
Jun '18

“Lying is no longer taboo. It's considered a necessary evil”

Not by all.

justintime justintime
Jun '18

Nobody,

You have created a strawman argument. My response was not directed at your personal situation at all.
I just stated a fact that lying is not always taboo and is in fact encouraged in some careers-law enforcement, for example, are allowed to lie to you and it is is LEGAL.
Feel free to look it up.
I could come up with dozens of examples where lying/deceit is considered the norm, or is legal.

None of them involve your direct situation. however. My response was in addition to your post, not directed at it.

Justintime, you are right also. It's not by all.

All I was implying by my post is that it is becoming more common overall. Not to my liking, however.

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Jun '18

From the book I am reading, The Empathy Exams by Leslie Jamison, I learned two things so far.

1. Morgellons Disease, not sure if it is real but like the author I will say I hope those suffering find a cure. I copied this explanation.
Morgellons disease is a controversial, unexplained skin condition. Morgellons disease is an uncommon, poorly understood condition characterized by small fibers or other particles emerging from skin sores.

2. Medical schools hire actors to act out symptoms for medical students. The students are graded on their diagnosis skills, bedside manner ,empathy etc etc.
I never knew.

CBGB I just googled it up - yes controversy about it - but if you look at the images it's really creepy ---Yup Joanie Mitchell is said to have it

4catmom 4catmom
May '19

Today I learned about Dora Ratjen, never heard this story before.
born Dora Ratjen, was a German athlete who competed for Germany in the women's high jump at the 1936 Summer Olympics at Berlin, finishing fourth, but was later determined to be male and/or intersex.

Today I learned that Flavor Blasted Xtra-Cheddar Goldfish are not an improvement over the original.

htownguy htownguy
Nov '19

Here is something I learned at work today.

If you are gong to write a memo on a postit note that reads "the onus is on you"

You should probably make sure the o doesn't look like an a.

Under stay at home order, with video conference about to start, always choose to brush hair before brushing teeth.

hktownie hktownie
Mar '20

I learned that no matter how difficult you think your circumstances are, there is always someone going through more than you.

sportsfan sportsfan
Mar '20

As always.

While on conference calls from home make sure you press the mute button before ripping a hugh fart.

Sacks cousin
Mar '20

How important a telephone call and having a phone is....Most Drs. are treating their patients via the telephone. In my case it was my cellphone too as having problems with home phone landline.. Yesterday I was not feeling well and did exactly that. Had a through telephone conversation and within l hour had my prescription at my home for my use. (thanks to our good friend for picking that up for me)..

joyful joyful
Apr '20

Feel better, Joyful!

Andrew's Mom Andrew's Mom
Apr '20

people here truly care,, thank you

that the "pickup list" for food from ShopRite is full thru May 01. How is this as they won't let anyone reserve a timeslot.

Bernie Bernie
Apr '20

I did not know Sanford and Son was a copy of an old British sitcom Steptoe and Son, descrition below

A thirty-something year-old man named Harold and his elderly father, Albert, work as rag and bone men (collecting and selling junk). Harold is ambitious and wants to better himself, but his father always seems to ruin his plans, sometimes accidentally and other times deliberately. The pair live in squalor and the father has some disgusting personal habits which continue to embarrass the son.
—Rob Hartill

our national anthem the Star Spangled Banner is a copy of an old British drinking tune.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CbLgDqO5Iew

Pete Seeger
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gcXqz5iZNGs

Pappy Van Winkle is some expensive hooch

Star Spangled tune: To Anacreon in Heaven

summerrain1 summerrain1
Aug '23

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.