What Did You Learn Today?

You all know the saying, "You learn something new every day."

I love when I learn something new. Today I learned that there a several different types of zebras. With different types of stripes in different places. LOL! I always thought that a zebra, was a zebra, was a zebra.....

Pretty silly, but I didn't know it.

Post anything "new" and trivial that you learn here (we don't need heavy stuff) and maybe others will learn it too.

Have fun!

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '13

Speaking of zebras, back in college, I worked for a company that would inventory other stores - ex: go to Shoprite and count the inventory for them.

I saw my first zebra at Lane Bryant. Yowser!!! I still haven't recovered.

emaxxman emaxxman
Oct '13

I thought wild turkeys always stayed in groups but I have a stray one that is hanging out with the horses

cowgirl1 cowgirl1
Oct '13

Large diamonds form on Jupiter and other planets because of their climates.

(Fabulous idea for thread.)

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '13

I learned all about Google's Cloud apps today...docs, presentations, draw, etc! Super cool stuff!

Jersey Girl Jersey Girl
Oct '13

people who live in glass houses, should get dressed with the lights off
Early to rise and early to bed makes a man healthy, but socially dead

Patrick O. Patrick O.
Oct '13

I just got my computer out of the shop and am learning it all over again. Especially Yahoo. They really messed me up.

Old Gent Old Gent
Oct '13

To err is human, but to really foul things up, you need a computer.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '13

I learned today from a call from our grandson in Florida that we are going to be "Great-Grandparents" next year.

joyful joyful
Oct '13

Congrats Joyful!

I learned today that gluten effects every part of the body not just the digestive tract.

Christine Christine
Oct '13

I learned that a roast beef with cheddar and bbq sauce sandwich is amazing along with a boston creme pie snack. Slurp...

Metsman Metsman
Oct '13

Congrats Joyful and Duke on your great news!!

I learned today that a man of the Jewish faith is not supposed to shave for 30 days when he is in mourning.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Oct '13

I learned that eating out alone is ok - never did it before......of course having an ipad helps ...

noname noname
Oct '13

... that, despite all the talk to the contrary, there are nice mechanics with integrity too....

ready ready
Oct '13

Re: What Did You Learn Today?

I learned that this was yesterday.

auntiel auntiel
Oct '13

I learned that I'm not a bad mom (even though I felt very guilty) for banning my kitten from the bedroom last night! This was after he kept me up until 3:00 AM. Scooby decided to make as much noise as possible...scratching the headboard of the bed, jumping on the baseboard radiators and biting my feet! ):

positive positive
Oct '13

Actually Auntiel that's been photoshopped. He goes to Oct 21 2015 in the movie.

jrsemom jrsemom
Oct '13

positive,

A kitty mom has to do what a kitty mom has to do :)

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Oct '13

Yes, positive. I have to banish my Oliver from the bedroom every night, or should I say early morning, around 3-4 o'clock. He is always hoping for an early breakfast. Sigh....

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '13

I learned that, at where I work, seniority means nothing for some people (mostly me) and common courtesy does not exist.

Htown Resident Htown Resident
Oct '13

Htown R- I understand what you are going through....I had the same problem at a previous job that I worked at for over ten years and it's so frustrating. Hopefully there is someone you can talk to....maybe in HR. :)

positive positive
Oct '13

For ladies...I learned how to check to see if a skirt fits without trying it on--wrap the waist around your neck, if it meets--it will fit! Tested this out with 2 skirts picked up at a yard sale & it worked. Never heard it before.

Davis Davis
Oct '13

Thanks Lori and Calico- somehow I always manage to over analyze things. Lol.

positive positive
Oct '13

that back to the future prediction is a hoax

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/bttf.asp

Erik B. Anderson Erik B. Anderson
Oct '13

Davis,

That works for pants too, for men and women.

I never knew that one of defense mechanisms of squirrels is that their tail can break off like a lizard, though I'm not sure it grows back....

Blackcat Blackcat
Oct '13

Today I learned that chocolate can absorb odors in a sponge like way. Who knew?

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '13

But then you have to NOT EAT the chocolate??

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '13

Depends on what odors it's been absorbing. Could be strawberries, could be week old flounder.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Dec '13

ian- Lol!!

positive positive
Dec '13

I recently learned that if a bomb scare is called into a store the manager is the one who decides if the store gets evacuted or not. When I asked why the cop told me that if it's at private property, say a store in a mall strip, they can't evacuate it unless the manager agrees to it. So, I learned that a store that I frequently shop at didn't evacuate when one was called in. It makes me wander how many times this has happened and I had no idea while shopping in any store. To me common sense would be to evacuate and error on the side of caution.

Magpie Magpie
Dec '13

I learned an annoying sound that has been occurring in my kitchen for the past year is actually a Fiji water bottle expanding and contracting. I just accidentally happened to be right next to it when it popped in this day of temperature extremes. Who woulda thunk it?? ;-)

no stress on the plastic to indicate that was the culprit? weird man

skippy skippy
Dec '13

Skippy - Besides the fridge I thought it was and three other big appliances, 7 small appliances, there are cabinets full of stuff, cats you never know what they're up to, and 173 things on the counter tops. Could have been anything, and it's only now I look at the bottle and realize a minor dent here or there is the difference of the other bottle that still has water in it at the other end of the counter that doesn't make noise. It's just the simple things in life. ;-)

I learned that old friends are the best friends

Firefly Firefly
Dec '13

That snow can melt away quickly in a few hours of 60 degree weather. Welcome mud. Hate it!!

auntiel auntiel
Dec '13

weird GC - good story

skippy skippy
Dec '13

Thanks skippy. Even weirder when you consider I drank 2 years of "Fiji" water, washed in it and had a hundred showers in it even before that company was created. The reasons for the bottle and my connection to it are a bit "weird" too. ;-)

love to hear the story if we ever meet

skippy skippy
Dec '13

Today I saw a new word I had never seen before: "oddments." Love it! It means remnants or leftovers from a project. How did I never encounter this word before?

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '14

Re: What Did You Learn Today?

I learned it is TIME to move the Hell out of NJ. Enough of this 50+ inches of snow and 9 degrees every morning. ENOUGH!@#$^&*^%$#

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Feb '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.