A "Venting" Thread - 8th Edition

The other one is getting too long. Please 'vent' here......

Bdom
Jan '14

I wish we still had Sears Hardware. I don't like Lowe's or Home Depot and don't get me STARTED on Wal-Mart.

Lngvly22 Lngvly22
Jan '14

A winter cold in this weather is no fun!

Christine Christine
Jan '14

NO ONE is allowed in the bed except me and mommy. No one no one no one. I spent all evenin defending my position and I sent Barny and Nora and Fuzzy flying outta the room and even Leila ran away fast when I chased her. But then daddy came in and he was Not Happy that I growled at him and picked me up by the scruff and next thing I know I'm in the dog bed outside the bedroom. Oh I am so mad! Next time I'm gonna growl LOUDER and gnash my teeth and flash my fangs while hoppin up and down....

- the Snapping Poodle

Iggles J. Snoots Iggles J. Snoots
Jan '14

ha ha nice rebecka

skippy skippy
Jan '14

Iggles~ I can tell you what our first bunny Sebastian did on my side of the bed as retaliation but then you may be banned from the bedroom furever!

Baci's mom Baci's mom
Jan '14

Iggles has a BIG PERSONALITY

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '14

I think Iggles and Garfield should meet and share techniques to improve both of their territorial skills...

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Jan '14

LMAO at Iggy! He is so cute and fuzzy.

Kit Kat Kit Kat
Jan '14

Buster and Peanut are about to be really pissed when I catch them and put them in carriers for a visit to the vet----so beware - I'll be here later venting about their behavior - or the bill or something

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '14

oh yeah - Peanut peed in the carrier - how's that for spite - I am not happy

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '14

Also I been chasin' the cats today. Running and chasing and making them hop up on tables to get away.

Not sorry!

Jan '14

Haha haha! I'm supposed to be venting, but I can't stop laughing at Iggles!
"Not Sorry! “

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Jan '14

Prosecutors said there was not enough evidence to support a felony sexual assault charge against Barnett

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2536676/Daisy-Colemans-alleged-rapist-not-face-sex-assault-charges.html#ixzz2pxIlwVIN

I am livid over this

skippy skippy
Jan '14

holy crap, skippy - that is beyond horrible - just read the story ---

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '14

Skippy so am I........utterly ridiculous and the DA should be ashamed of themselves.

Christine Christine
Jan '14

skippy, I can certainly understand why you are livid about this. I can only say that it's absolutely horrific in every aspect of the word! It's very scary that the pack mentality still exists in this day and age and overrides common decency and justice!

Unfortunately progression has been steadily sliding to regression again, it's been happening more and more lately. Very sad and frightening.

positive positive
Jan '14

I thought for sure that those being prosecuted in the Coleman case would at least be charged because they were on tape with a minor. Very poor prosecution. I hope that Anonymous blasts the hell out of them online again and uncovers anything that might have gone on behind the scenes.

Poster
Jan '14

Hi, ive only lived here about 2 years but WHY ON EARTH do so many people ride bicycles on alphano rd??? I always feel like I'm either going to run someone over or get hit by a car head on from being in the middle of the road, =0. Obviously this is in the summer, but why choose a road with no shoulder? Has anyone requested a bike lane for this road? Just an honest question.... I am terrified of that road because of bicyclists

NoUseForAname NoUseForAname
Jan '14

Why would anyone drive on Alphano road? Seems to me there is always a faster way.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Jan '14

Do you remember the young boy that was killed there last summer riding his bike? Very sad. Let it go.

botheredbyuu
Jan '14

NoUseForAname - Alphano Rd. is part of a lot of routes for cyclists. I try and avoid riding on Alphano as much as I can, but it's a direct road to Panther Valley where I live so it's hard to avoid at times. I try and ride as close to the side as much as possible, but the debris and potholes force me to ride closer to the center. Anyway, thanks being a cautious driver. I'm sure you've driven by me numerous times!

MRidgeRes MRidgeRes
Jan '14

thanks for agreeing with me ladies - I sincerely hope she finds justice.

skippy skippy
Jan '14

Thank you. I live by the back gate in PV, so it takes 2 miles less to get to 80 on alphano... Haha I'm crazy with saving my $$$ =). I'll just use the front gate from now on, I feel safer!

Jan '14

i hate the haters who keep hating no matter how much hating they get in return,

haters hate to hate the non-haters, but at the end of the day they just keep on hatin' anyways and i for one really hate those haters,

that's my vent

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jan '14

Celebrating godson's birthday tomorrow. Invited via text message during the week with a promise to follow up with a phone call. Still waiting for phone call to advise what time to come tomorrow. Several messages left to both mother and father and STILL no answer!!!! Listen I know you are busy, you have children and a spouse. I do NOT and you think I live this carefree, fly by the seat of my pants kind of life, but this is the kind of stuff that really iritates the !#!@$@# out of me.... This is the exact kind of situation that I promised myself I was going to avoid this year!!! If it were not for the fact that it is my godchild I would just not show up tomorrow!!

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jan '14

BrotherDog, don't let the haters get to you, that's what they want. I've read your posts and you seem like a very nice Christian. Keep posting your encouraging thoughtful words..I and I'm sure many others appreciate what you have to say. :)

positive positive
Jan '14

JGI88- That is ridiculous...I'm a godmother and when ever there is an event concerning my goddaughter I always get an invitation at least 3-4 weeks prior to the event in the mail. I do not blame you for your frustration...I would be frustrated too.

positive positive
Jan '14

thanks, appreciate your kind words

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jan '14

Thanks Positive. Finally heard from his mother at 7:30 this morning via text message - AGAIN with the text messaging. But at least I have a time now... Grrrrr. Breathe deep, letting out negative energy, focusing on positive energy...

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jan '14

Jg88- thats rude and I wouldnt be going. Sounds like inviting you was an afterthought. Send him a gift, definitely, because its not his fault his parents are ignorant.

botheredbyuu
Jan '14

The puppies attacked a 40-lb bag of pine shavings. The puppy room looks like a bar-room dance floor. The puppies themselves... well, imagine if you dumped a large bucket of pine shavings on each of them. Small woodchip monsters with eyes and legs, and very pleased with themselves. It's quite something around here. I think I'll pretend I didn't see this and let DH make the "discovery" when he gets home.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '14

photo, Rebecca???

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '14

"40-lb bag of pine shavings"

Are you really saying you put a large play toy in front of a pack of young canines?? I know what I expect if I put a catnip toy in front of three felines. ;-)

I bet Iggy did it....this is his way of getting everyone in that house in trouble so he can get ALLLLL the attention

Nosila Nosila
Jan '14

5catmom - I can't take a photo or DH will know I saw it! :-D

Yes, GC, I put a bag of pine shavings on the floor in the puppy room. (Oui, je suis stupide!) I was planning on going back in 1/2 hour and changing their puppy box (where they go). They beat me to the bag.

As for Iggy, Nosila - he was getting groomed. He has a water-tight alibi. For once, he's not even under suspicion. The only other animal in the room was Barny. Now I'm wondering...

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '14

Went to check the Puppy Cam... its off.

Tidy
Jan '14

lol Rebecka - didn't think about the hubster finding out thru a pix ---and glad Iggy is excused from the blame ---I'll just try to create a mental pix of the mess -

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '14

There are sidewalks that cover about 80% of panther valleys main and side roads. Why do people feel the need to walk into the road, off the sidewalk? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Tom- are the sidewalks even or do they need repair. When I lived in Hackettstown and would go walking at night I wouldn't use the sidewalk bc they were such a mess and I thought for sure I would end up on my face

Nosila Nosila
Jan '14

well I'm in PV and there are very few sidewalks around me - mostly road walking except bigger main roads.......

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '14

Tom- where do you see sidewalks?!

made a Dr, appointment yesterday. They called me back and changed it I went and they have no record of it. WTH people do your job! I hate going and to take a ride all the way to Sparta and backs is not fun when you don't feel good.

Christine Christine
Jan '14

They should have seen you anyway. Thats good patient service. They can always fit you in.

botheredbyuu
Jan '14

seems several people have having problems with dr's offices - I don't get it --my only gripe is when I have to wait too long- all are good about calling with reminders etc and they are there when I get there -

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '14

Tidy - yes, puppy cam has been off for a day or so. Pups are 8 weeks old and have the run of the house, and they are also now going outside 6 x day! I've also needed to use my laptop for many hours, so took it back to my office... but I'll put the cam up again tomorrow probably. It will be up for a bit before the pups are "gone forever." :-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '14

On the flip side we had a patient show up late for the 5th time today (yes, we keep track), and this was the 2nd time he was over TWO HOURS late. He thought causing a scene would be to his benefit. It was not. To be honest, a patient cannot always be squeezed in. The office I work in runs on 7 min, 15 min, and 30 min appts depending on the type of visit, and you better believe there is no margin for error. Several people on this forum are patients here and I'm sure they'd vouch for us.

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Jan '14

They now want me to go to Hackettstown office and my Dr. will see me there. Which mind you I requested first and was told it was impossible. So off to this appointment.

I also need to find a new GP and have not found one yet. I want to stay local but do not want to go to HRMC. For easy stuff I am ok but my medical history is difficult.

Christine Christine
Jan '14

Every time I turn around I am filling a water bowl. I am *THIS CLOSE* to ordering a trough for farm animals and setting it up in our living room.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '14

Rebecka - "Petmate Infinity"

http://www.petmate.com/infinity-2

My cats all love their "Fresh Flow" but the Infinity is more of a size for all the canines.

GC- if just half of her fur-babies took one sop that thing would be empty in a second

I think a stream out back would work

Nosila Nosila
Jan '14

Puppy Roman just went to his forever home. :'( I think Leila, Athena and I are going to all get together and have a good cry.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '14

Awww I bet you'll miss that sweet baby

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '14

I miss him already. It seems so quiet around here.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '14

I am sure that Roman will come for a visit.

Tidy
Jan '14

I feel like I've said this before but....

people who let their dog defecate on the sidewalk...and then just leave it there. Seriously?

Tracy Tracy
Jan '14

Stupid woman in left turning lane in front of Ihop decides to turn then cut off 2 cars to jump in right lane so she can turn into McD's. Almost caused an accident. Then pulls out of McD's, turns right, stays in right lane, then decides she wants to go left into back of Lowes, so just cuts across the lanes of traffic, like she is only one on the road. What a dumb "B".

botheredbyuu
Jan '14

Hate receiving group texting and then the 20 replies from people you don't even know.....especially while you're at work!

Baci's mom Baci's mom
Jan '14

Past so many cars this morning, where they just wiped enough off their windshield to see thru. Very dangerous! Come on people, smarten up. Also past a police SUV with snow on top and over the license plate. That's a no-no for the rest of us. Hmmm.....

botheredbyuu
Jan '14

Is it too much to ask people to drive with care?

http://www.nj.com/warrenreporter/index.ssf/2014/01/hackettstown_crash_traps_man_i.html#incart_river

Trespassing hunters, when the property is posted beyond belief. Zero tolerance, people. Game warden and cops are here.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '14

SUV owners, please be careful about pushing button to open back of vehicle before you get to it . Almost got hit by one as it swung up as I was walking behind it in parking lot.

A special nod to the "gentleman" who was coughing then sneezed (nasty) all over the meat at Shop Rite. Then walked away quickly. I spoke with someone at Shop Rite, lets hope they pulled it out of the case.

Tidy
Jan '14

Coyote prints all around the house. Ugh. Leave, please. One animal I would prefer not to have around. Wish I could put out a scent or something that would make him go somewhere else, or at least keep his distance.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '14

Give him an Acme rocket. Should take care of it.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '14

Rebecka, try vinegar?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '14

I just love people who still can't shovel their sidewalk where kids have to walk to go to the bus stop !!!!

Missrx Missrx
Jan '14

Re: A

Rebecka, if the rocket doesn't work, try suspending an anvil above your front door...

ianimal ianimal
Jan '14

Guest to our home, coughing and sneezing, bad enough... But leaving used tissues on the coffee table. Disgusting, these are educated people, what are they thinking or Not?
When they leave I have to clean up after them. I try to keep my aunt well as she already
compromised, this does not help.

susan susan
Jan '14

OMG yuck, Susan. You should train Hannah to bark at said guest.

My little vent for the day: our kitchen cabinets are so old that when I close one of them, another one swings open!

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '14

Rebecka - I used to use rubber band hanging on both knobs so doors would be kept closed.

I use clear shipping tape on my freezer door to hold it so it wouldn't open when I open/close the main part of the refrigerator.

I get an undue sense of accomplishment when both my dishwasher and washing machine are running at the same time.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '14

I'm venting for school being a half day today. Maybe there is a good reason for it, but with all the delayed openings, early dismissal and closings, this year seems like a throw away.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Jan '14

Was not sure what thread to post this Ice sculpture on Main Street, but enjoy it while I lasts

easy hoing guy
Jan '14

That is beautiful!! Definitely not a vent. Lol

positive positive
Jan '14

My dog barks and startles me every time my neighbors pull into their drive. However, there are about 15 people walking around in front of my house right now and he doesn't make a peep. Why does he not alert me to strangers but informs me when our neighbors arrive home?

Happy Homemaker Happy Homemaker
Jan '14

Lol, HH, he likes them! Mine (Socks) does the same, but he does alert me to everything and nothing. Sometimes, I will open the front door and let him look out when I don't see anything. He looks around expectantly and then is like, "oh, nevermind".

Here's my vent - I just love it when jumps up suddenly with the really loud bark and I get startled and dump coffee all over myself. Jerk.

Romeo Romeo
Jan '14

big birds - cowbirds, grackles and?? taking over my feeders - I want to see the cardinals, juncos, nuthatches - all the sweet smaller birds back -----growl

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '14

Romeo-

Twizz rarely barks, but when he does it is super loud and usually when I am in the middle of something dangerous like chopping vegetables or carrying something heavy. It is just one very loud, startling bark and he does it mostly each night when our one neighbors gets home, but it gets me every time.

Another vent: Today is the second time in a week that someone's car has ended up going off the road and into our stream and had to be towed out. I live on a very curvy road and people ALWAYS go too fast, but when the weather is bad or it is very cold, people need to take extra precaution. Both drivers are lucky that they were able to drive their vehicles away and that no one got hurt. Our yard is really going to look terrible come spring and its going to take some effort (and probably some grass seed) to get the stream bank looking good again.

Jan '14

Wow! My husband and I were dissed big time by his coworker/friend! This guy is newly divorced and alone, so we have gone out of our way to be nice and helpful.

I've made food for him and lent him DVDs and I even offered that he pick out what he wanted for his birthday at the store.

Every time my husband goes to the store he has him tag along, as an attempt to make this guy feel less lonely.

Today my husband invited him to come over this coming Sunday and watch the Super Bowl (his coworker does not have cable). Well, this was his response. "No, not happening."

I'm insulted and floored by his response.

positive positive
Jan '14

Not to sound like a pathetic whiner, but I have another vent that I just learned about 10 minutes ago. My brother had to put his beloved cat Breezy down today. She was up in age and was suffering from Diabetes.

Back in 2006, my brother came to me hysterical that his cat Jezebel died. We buried her in my backyard.

Since he was so distraught, I suggested that we go to Noah's Ark just to take a look. Well, he saw this grey cat that looked just like the one he lost and held her in his arms. It was meant to be, I think they both fell in-love. She turned out to be a social butterfly in the neighborhood. In turn, so many people loved her...she was very special.

Sorry, it hasn't been a good day at all.

positive positive
Jan '14

So sorry positive

botheredbyuu
Jan '14

Positive sorry you had such a bad day.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jan '14

Thanks bbu and JGI88. It felt good to vent. Lol

positive positive
Jan '14

Twice this week came across 2 doctors that are all about $ and not concerned about the patient. Very frustrating!!

botheredbyuu
Jan '14

So many people use the excuse that they are moving / relocating or having a baby to put their pets up for adoption. I certainly understand under some circumstances, people simply have no choice due to unfortunate life events, but most of the "re-homing" adds sound like bull to me.

Seriously, you have to re-home your 12 week old puppy because you are having a baby in March? You didn't know 4 weeks ago when you got the puppy (assuming they actually got him at the proper age) that you were pregnant and having a baby in the next 3 months? "8 week old puppy for adoption- need to move asap and they don't allow dogs." I am not aware of many circumstances where all of a sudden you need to move. Most likely you have been having problems for some time that you should have been well aware of before you got a puppy.

Apparently no other states allow dogs because I come across numerous ads for "relocating to Florida, can't take my dog", "moving to Ohio and can't take my dog". Some of these people probably have legitimate reasons but I think that most of the people don't want to be inconvenience by having to move with their pet.

I also love the "my two unfixed dogs accidentally had puppies so now I have to sell them at 5 weeks old for $400 each". Or, "I bought this puppy for $2000 and put so much money into him but now three months later I need to re-home him so re-homing fee is $1000". They make it sound like you are getting such a deal and like the dog is a used car or some investment that you are losing money on.

Idiots.

Feb '14

HH- That's horrible! Where are you finding these ads, is it Craigslist?

positive positive
Feb '14

Anyone want to wager on the trash that will be perpetuated by the family giving up the puppy...

Yep- Craigslist. I don't know why I torture myself looking at the ads anyway when I know I can't have another pet. Then I see crap like 5 week puppies for "adoption" and want to shake the stupid out of these people. My heart does go out to those with legitimate reasons for needing to re-home a pet because I know bad things do happen (I worry all of the time about what would happen during extended unemployment, etc) but I have not one iota of sympathy for the rest of them. Next time I come across a "good" one I will post it but the one from this morning has already been removed.

Feb '14

I'm with Tom about the panther valley sidewalks!!!! They are literally EVERYWHERE by the back gate and as far up as bowers glen, and I see people walking in the road on a daily basis! Right next to the sidewalk!!! If you get run over by a car you deserve it

Feb '14

NoUseForAName - let me know what kind of car you drive so I can avoid getting hit when I'm out for a run.

abaniall abaniall
Feb '14

ditto abaniall--The only sidewalks I've ever seen are along Bald Eagle. I walk those sidewalks. I walk the roads on all the little side streets that have no walks.................And btw on my walks on Bald Eagle I do not see walkers in the road. Are you sure you live here???

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

I wish the news would get it right NYC did not host the super bowl

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Feb '14

I'm with you Caged Animal.

Andrew's Mom Andrew's Mom
Feb '14

Wow. I'm clearly talking about the back gate area if panther valley... Not the front. Yeah I think I know where I live, but thanks for checking

Feb '14

i am so done with this weather,

I HAVE HAD IT !!

8'' today, 4-8" with icing on tues and wed?? potential for a big blowout on the 9th???

i'm done. stick a fork in me Jerry, i'm done.

(dog raises paw and checks out for the season)

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Feb '14

I called Walmart in Flanders 30 minutes ago to ask if they had deer corn in stock. The woman who answered the phone said yes. I asked if she was absolutely sure bc the husband would stop by on the way home to grab some. Of course they were out and haven't had any in stock for a while now!!!! And yes~ I called back and spoke to a manager to vent!

Baci's mom Baci's mom
Feb '14

BD - you said it ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

botheredbyuu
Feb '14

Agree with BD on this one! Between tomorrow and the potential for next Sunday/Monday - enough already.

Tickner's has deer corn!

suzique suzique
Feb '14

Thanks suzique but they closed at 5:30 and he wouldn't have been able to get there in time. He found them at Tractor Supply in Flanders.

Baci's mom Baci's mom
Feb '14

I took Leila to two years of dog training school. She darned well knows what "come" means. And today she tried to follow DH to work. Ran like hell all the way down the driveway (3/4 mile) and finally caught up with him at the road where he saw her. Oh, I could just throttle her. Someone is in the penalty box for a good two hours. Bad, bad dog!!!

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '14

A high school friend who lives down in Atlanta now was posting on FB last week during the snowmageddon they had. First post was slamming anyone who had a child in the car driving in the snow/ice. Second post~him being a good samaritian offering his service bc he had "a pick up truck with 4 wheel drive". Third post~ pictures of his truck on the road. His final post for the nite~ asking if anyone knew of any body shop for his truck.

Guess he wasn't invincible driving in ice being from up north and having a 4 wheel drive!

Baci's mom Baci's mom
Feb '14

Vent 1: Snow removal in Hastings Square has been atrocious all winter. I don't know where our association dues are going, but it is clear they have cut back on this. They always seem to take forever to clear the sidewalks (it's now almost 5:30pm) and it hasn't been done by my house yet) and they seem extremely understaffed. I don't know if it's a Dukes problem or the association because Dukes has always been great in the past.

Vent 2: It makes my blood boil to see people move their car from a snow filled spot to a nice clean plowed spot AFTER the maintenance worker cleans the lot. Parking is such a problem here, that it is extremely inconsiderate to not follow the rules and move your car when the lot is being cleaned.

Vent 3: We haven't seen garbage or recycling pick up all week.

Tracy Tracy
Feb '14

Tracy- Do they have association meetings that you can go to? To ask questions

Nosila Nosila
Feb '14

ok - minor vent - dang squirrels - 2 of them keep eating all the food in my suet feeders---leaving nothing for the woodpeckers and nuthatches ---they do this even when I put out lots of peanuts

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

Yes, Nosila...and I plan on attending the next one if I am able.

Tracy Tracy
Feb '14

Tracy- Maybe they will be as entertaining as our township meetings

Nosila Nosila
Feb '14

Tracy Really???... It's winter and alot of snow.. I realize that you pay to have this taken care of ..However so do I.. It's called Taxes.. Please have some common sense that you are not the only one that needs shoveling or plowing out... there are only so many plows or man power to shovel...Stop and be thankful it gets done.. Obviously not at your convenience or your satisfaction. shame on you.... My neighbors are very thankful for me taking my time and strength to clean their sidewalks,driveway,cars and steps!!! (NO snowblower either). and just to add the sidewalk alone is over 100 yards... no bitching here just glad to pay it forward.... :)

scoop scoop
Feb '14

Um...scoop...this is the venting thread. Unless you are responsible for the snow removal in my complex, then your comments are unnecessary.

Tracy Tracy
Feb '14

Amen Tracy. Vent away!

sorry Tracy that I didn't jump on your pity party wagon... yes I know it's a venting thread... but really???? move to warmer weather so you don't have to complain anymore.. :)

scoop scoop
Feb '14

I wasn't throwing a pity party, scoop...I don't need company. I need the services that I PAY for to be completed in a timely fashion and the rules enumerated by our association to be followed and/or enforced. Sorry that you can't comprehend that.

Tracy Tracy
Feb '14

made it all the way to work only to find the parking lot so icy I couldn't get out of my car...

stressed out stressed out
Feb '14

we all pay Tracy not only you!!! have a little consideration for mother nature and for God only giving people 2 hands and 2 feet that can only get things done in a timely matter... Sorry for you that your clock ticks WAY to fast... better yet buy a shovel and help out...

scoop scoop
Feb '14

scoop - Too bad you and your shovel don't live next door to me. ;-) Seriously, kudos to you for helping out your neighbors.

Tracy - You should contact the association and let them know of your concerns.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '14

Tracy - as someone who has been on two boards - you are absolutely right - it should have been completed today

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

Thanks Calico and 5catmom...yes I and many of the neighbors have contacted the association...or at least left complaints. As I mentioned, this year the snow clean up has not been up to par as it has been in previous years. The timeliness and the quality has gone down hill. For the record, it was 8:15pm when our sidewalks were finally shoveled.

scoop, you're still not getting it. All of the residents in this community pay an association fee for certain services to be performed. Oh and by the way, we pay taxes too, which has nothing to do with snow removal. Not sure what your point is there. Good for you for helping out your neighbors, but we don't have that system in place here. Contractors are paid to do it and it's not getting done the way it's supposed to be. It has nothing to do with mother nature and God and all that other nonsense you're inexplicably spewing. It has to do with money...plain and simple. Either the association has cut back on the service, or Dukes has cut back on their end. Whichever way...we're paying money for something that is not getting done properly. That's the end of this for me...have a nice evening.

Tracy Tracy
Feb '14

You have all the right to complain on here Tracy. I also suggest you get involved with your association. Our neighborhood also uses Duke and we have noticed it takes them a while to do the common sidewalks. They use to do them the same day but now they do it the next day. When I called to ask they actually have 24 hrs to do it.

This is a venting thread for people to vent without any comments from the peanut gallery. Lets keep it that way.

Christine Christine
Feb '14

hey Calico.. have shovel will travel...we have a great neighborhood here and everyone helps out...not only does my shovel....shovel snow, it has been know to shovel a lot of S*#T too!!!! catch you on the next round of snow!!

scoop scoop
Feb '14

5catmom,
This may be a solution to your squirrel problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Ya6z-NlDo

ignatz ignatz
Feb '14

ignatz - looks like a great idea - but I couldn't do that to Pancho Squirrel, could I?

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

Squirrels are usually appreciative........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiCxQxgBqsI

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '14

thanks Calico - but mine are ingrates.............maybe it's because I ran out of peanuts

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

Doing a small renovation in a hallway and took the ceiling down since we discovered whoever ran the vents for the A/C in our house didn't even have the run attached to the ceiling vent. And now since we took the ceiling down, we discover they did just a crappy job for the kitchen run. No where near the ceiling vents. People just disappoint. This was already put in before we bought the house 5 years ago and there was cool air coming out but apparently not like it could have been. Unbelievable. See pic:(

Blackcat Blackcat
Feb '14

I've seen that in alot of houses- installers using the space between the joists AS a "duct". Ridiculous.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Feb '14

It was a common and accepted practice to use the space as part of the return duct especially in older homes. My house has this issue. It is no longer considered acceptable now that there is more awareness of energy efficient designs.

To be used as part of the supply duct, it tells me that it was either laziness during new construction or a "best we can do" retrofit.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '14

I sometimes wish my BF and I had totally separate kitchens so I could avoid the crappy foods he always brings home. I try to tell him that in order for me to avoid overeating and gorging on unhealthy food, I simply can't be around it. He brings stuff home and says its for him, but I eat it anyway when no one is around. He tells me "just don't eat it", but if it was that simple we wouldn't need to have the discussion in the first place. I am frustrated because he keeps bringing junk home and derails my healthy habits, and he is frustrated because he wants to eat junk food and I complain about it (not that he eats it but that its there). I don't know how to compromise on this.

Feb '14

Happy - I had that issue with my (now ex) husband. It was very frustrating. In my case there were deeper issues involved. Hope that is not the case for you.

In the meantime, I suggest you find a place to store his junk food where it is out of sight for you. Possibly in a separate cupboard or drawer? Maybe in a sealed box that is not where you store your healthy items? Maybe by having them in a different place you will not see them often and you won't be as tempted?

Good luck, I know how difficult that can be.

Coralie Coralie
Feb '14

It was a common and accepted practice to use the space as part of the return duct especially in older homes. My house has this issue. It is no longer considered acceptable now that there is more awareness of energy efficient designs.

To be used as part of the supply duct, it tells me that it was either laziness during new construction or a "best we can do" retrofit.

^Probably a bit of both. Also forgot to mention the cardboard used to direct the air flow down to the vent. This was probably put in the house in the 80's sometime.

Blackcat Blackcat
Feb '14

Omg this ice! Hard to walk the dogs even with Yaktracks. And they are doing 4-legged splits!

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '14

People who go in to the Post Office and get their mail and then sit in their car to read it thus holding up the limited amount of parking spots.

Firefly Firefly
Feb '14

Firefly, that is so ridiculous. All about them.

Rebecka, so true. Princess Lucky takes 5 hours to find a place to do her business because she doesn't want her delicate feet falling through the ice.

Tracy Tracy
Feb '14

Firefly - I was behind a guy at the BOA ATM a few weeks ago. He was sitting there for 10 minutes without touching the ATM. I finally got out of the car and said hi, what's happening? "Just filling out paperwork," he said. I kid you not.

New vent: we have no water. DH down at the well pump (way down our back hill) in the dark and the cold trying to figure out WTH is going on.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '14

My vent is the people who think it's a wonderful idea to go running on Rockport this morning. Do they not see that the road is still a slushy mess and a car can slid at anytime plus the sun glare.

Common sense people!

Nosila Nosila
Feb '14

So true Nosila. Kings Hwy too. There isnt a shoulder and on a clear spring day its not safe, never mind when its snow covered.SMH!

botheredbyuu
Feb '14

I keep getting dam pop up ads while on HL!!! Its making me not want t come here! UGG!!!

Christine Christine
Feb '14

Christine - If you don't have it - firefox and chrome and maybe more - have adblocker ---works very well

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

I have both.......UGG!!

Christine Christine
Feb '14

Athena just ate DH's book... the one he's right in the middle of... reading every evening. Oi. It's in a few hundred pieces.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '14

download adblocker - free - works great - I have no pop ups

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

Athena is a growin pup! Perhaps if daddy read to her more often! :p

Love all the updates on all the furbabies in that household. Thanks!!!

Baci's mom Baci's mom
Feb '14

at Shop-rite Mansfield Plaza: too few cashiers, too long lines, no baggers, slo mo cashiers - waited more than 15 minutes on line today ---told a few of the people "in charge" I'd head to Weis if they don't do something...........got excuses about the coming storm - people out with the flu ---sorry but there are always lines and every cashier I've met has been in slo -mo

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

Tired of 'sound bite' news reporting - creating stir and division where none should exist - they all do it and unless you do your own research you're clueless - mad that I fall for it too many time!!

trekster3- trekster3-
Feb '14

With the snow storm coming, keep in mind its illegal, not to mention rude and dangerous, to plow or shovel snow into the street!

botheredbyuu
Feb '14

Just wondering why there are so many people out there hoping this storm is a mega snow storm?? It may be pretty while it's falling but it's a hazardous nightmare! I'm wondering if these people hoping for a behemoth storm are the first ones who complain when they lose power for days?

Snow stoms are exciting when you are a child, as an adult who has aging parents and ill or elderly neighbors it's not so exciting - it's a hindrance.

JB - you said it all! +1000000000000000000000 :)

botheredbyuu
Feb '14

Just read that there is a group of people who classify themselves as "otherkin." Googled it. Mind now in knots.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '14

Rebecka, I just googled it too. My opinion is that "otherkin" = weirdo.

Natalie Natalie
Feb '14

Otherkins are well-adjusted compared to "bronies", lol...

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Feb '14

If you believe you've been around a few times, why just as a human? If you have memories of it, maybe otherkins aren't so "other". Then again, who knows??

"Otherkins"?? Perhaps.

ugh - dinner at Bea's - first encountered ice on the front steps (reported it to the hostess) - ordered standard pub food - ie fish and chips --should have sent them back---oil just dripped out of each piece of fish ---horrible ---and when we left, the steps were still icy - hadn't been touched --they jepardize themselves if their entries are unsafe.................
I can still taste the oil today

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

Imagine if some of that oil dripped on the steps LOL...

drip it on the steps and light it, that will melt the stuff.

I had the same oil experience in London at a very posh place near Piccadilly. Everyone English acted like it was g r e a t ! I wanted a sump pump.

Feb '14

GC - I definitely believe in reincarnation. My mind is just trying to understand, with difficulty, why people think they are half human, half-something-else, or else a combination of something like a fairy and a dragon.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '14

My husband is doing major fish tank overhauls in his man cave. The house smells like an aquarium at feeding time.

Tracy Tracy
Feb '14

OMG! These parents in New York City complaining about school being opened today. If you feel its too dangerous, keep your kids home! So simple!

botheredbyuu
Feb '14

Most of them did, bothered. Only 44% attendance today.

Tracy Tracy
Feb '14

Im talking about the parents on the news that were taking their kids to school, complaining about it.

botheredbyuu
Feb '14

For some of these kids in the city school is a safe haven. For some of them it's the only way they eat a meal, stay warm, and are supervised. Also, there are a lot of poverty in NYC so a day of missed work for some parents means not affording the rent or no food on the table.

So I agree if you don't feel safe sending your kids than don't but know that's where some kids are the safest

Nosila Nosila
Feb '14

Seen on Pinterest -------->

WTH. Is one of the 31 ways enlisting your cat to vacuum?

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '14

lol................might Gracie to do that if I re-upped her prozac....

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

A big thanks to UPS for leaving my box of flowers at the edge of the road in a pile of slushy ice. If it wasn't for DH getting a delivery notification, we would have never known they were there. Happy Valentines Day to you too....

Blackcat Blackcat
Feb '14

Thanks UPS for forgetting to deliver my box of flowers ...oh that's right, I didn't get a box of flowers. :-)

Firefly Firefly
Feb '14

I normally don't need to vent, but Friday morning I almost blew my gasket......To the plow guy plowing in the gold chevy pickup across from Bank of America on main street.....

What in the heck ever made you put a custom exhaust that sounds like nascar on your plow truck that you use at 4 am!?!?!?! I mean maybe this is a sign I am getting old, A couple years ago I was cutting mufflers off everything I own, I have loud exhausts on almost all my "play" vehicles. But com'on man, on a plow truck!!!! REALLY!

It would of been cool and sounded really good.....IF IT WAS NOT 4AM!!!!

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

Doing my grocery shopping in Yaktrax.

Holding on to the cart for dear life.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '14

Why isn't there a limit to the number of medications you need to take? Everything should have to fit in one of those &@^! daily pill bar compartments. Why is everything the size of a double a horse pill??

And why am I so &@^! old to even know what a daily pill bar is???

How well do those work Rebecka? I was thinking of heading down to some streams for some photography. I'm concerned about the icy trails though...don't want to take a spill with my equipment. They might even be useful for trout fishing too (rocks are slippery at times.)

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '14

They are incredible on ice, emaxxman. I can't go out our door without them right now. They are a pain to put on, though, so once they are on, I'm not taking them off (for example, when I get to a store, and floor is slippery... and then it feels like you have ice skates on). Definitely recommend them for walking through snow and ice. They will probably NOT be much help on slippery rocks though.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '14

Thanks. They're pretty cheap on Amazon ($14)...so it's no big deal if I have to get something different for fishing. I think I might have to get a pair.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '14

Yaxtrax are wonderful. Use them on my daily walks. I still can't see my sidewalk, it looks like the luge in Russia. I have a pair of sneakers and keep the yaxtrax on them all the time, b/c they are a pain to put on and take off. My daughter gave them to me back in the late 90"s and they still work. I don't often drive with them on, but for around my yard and driveway they are perfect. (I do sometimes go in a store with them on. Doesn't bother me). I agree with Rebecka, doubt they would be much good in water and on slippery rocks.
Rebecka, where did you get yours? A friend asked and I didn't know b/c mine were a gift.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Feb '14

Mine were a gift too, Ms Fishy, and they are about 7 yrs old. I would just buy from Amazon.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '14

Leila jumped up on me without warning and left three large claw marks on my neck. Normally, she gives me a heads up when she wants a "hug." Thanks a lot, dog. Now I look like I've been attacked by a demon.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '14

Haha GC.....I know EXACTLY what you mean. I can't fit all of mine in there either. I hate those freakin' horse pills!

GC & Sue R - I didn't think I was that old, but I have 3 pill bars! One of pills to take in the am on an empty stomach, another to take in the am with food and another one to take at bedtime, yikes. Now I'm feeling old and busted. :(

Lynnada Lynnada
Feb '14

I have the largest pill box they make and they still do not fit in all of them.

Christine Christine
Feb '14

"old and busted" - LOL

Ok I know we have a ridiculous amount of snow/ice, but please people CLEAR THE SIDEWALK IN FRONT OF YOUR HOUSE!!!! I still have to try to walk the dogs in this mess and certainly cannot walk in the street due to the fact most are so narrow now that they can only accommodate one car and it's just not safe.

Isn't this the homeowners responsibility?? I know (at least for me) it's the same ritual every snowstorm~ shovel deck for dogs, mailbox for postman, sidewalk out front, path on side of house for meter reader/oil delivery, shovel out spot for garbage cans, etc...Can't you be fined for not clearing the sidewalk or is that only for a business?

JRT I know we did ours only to have the plows push more snow on them. They have no choice Now we go back out and its 8 feet high on our sidewalk and al ice. There is no way in hell w can clear it now. Unfortunately its too much snow.

Christine Christine
Feb '14

I live on a main road so I get it. The plow truck continuously blocks the end of my driveway which means I may have to go out multiple times to clear it. Guess I just feel it's the same for the sidewalks especially since the public is using them. If there are places around your house like your porch, steps, etc... that you do not clear that's up to you, but an area such as the sidewalk that will be used by others should be cleared no matter what. I walk in a development near my house and it looks like half of the homeowners did not even attempt to clear their sidewalk. Others had theirs nicely shoveled and salted therefore it was not that it couldn't be done.

Oh trust me we live on a corner. We did it and its snow covered HIGH!. No way we can get it clear now. Half the corner in ton are all like this. Wait til the new snowfall its only going to get worse.

Christine Christine
Feb '14

STOP shoveling and plowing and snow-blowing your snow into the roads. ITS ILLEGAL and ignorant!!! Stupid!!!!

botheredbyuu
Feb '14

You can be reported and fined for not clearing a sidewalk. It is a $50 dollar fine

http://www.hackettstown.net/app/download/2374551/Scan0003.pdf

There are not much things that are impossible, you just do not want to do them.

I know it is a waste, but you can get ice melt, throw it on the packed stuff to loosen it up, and then shovel it off with a metal straight edged dirt shovel,

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

They fine me and then they have to fine everyone in this town! I think the pile on my corner is over 10 feet. Its like that all over town!

Christine Christine
Feb '14

having injured my back 2 years ago - chiropractic and physical therapy and finally two epidurals - I chose my battles and I'm sure others do to ---just snow is ok - snow/ice becomes a nightmare for some of us

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

the apartment complex behind me pushed all their snow from the parking lot across the street to my neighbors side of their driveway. My wife actually went out and yelled at him to at least not block their driveway which he was doing. So he moved it over a few feet. But there is a sidewalk there with 10feet of snow/ice pile blocking it. We went out and tried to break it up but there was no way. If the town wants to fine my neighbors i would tell them to forwad the fine to the contractor. You can clearly see their plow marks.

darwin darwin
Feb '14

I've had it with the snow, I'm done! DONE! DONE! DONE!

I spent an hour and a half chopping ice yesterday, I'm done!

Today's mess is either going to stay there and wait to melt or I'll snowblow and thats it, I'm not shoveling anymore, my back can't take it and I have MS, so after doing the work I'm useless for the rest of the day. I'm pretty sure I have a back injury as well, getting that checked out, this sucks. DONE!!!

Lynnada Lynnada
Feb '14

I have seen most of the people cleaning their sidewalks no problem, to say everyone in town is a exaggeration. It's a law for a reason, Without a sidewalk to walk on people are in danger of getting hit on the narrow streets. When you buy a house with a sidewalk you agree to keep it clean, no matter the circumstance. I saw many people who kept up with the walk ways during the storm, including me, and my 86 year old grandfather, who have no problems with their walks.

If you are unable to clear it yourself there are many people, or even kids you can hire that would be willing to clear it. For the safety of people in town, and to make sure you are properly taking care of your responsibilities I would hire someone to clear it before someone gets hurt.

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

is the fine $50 flat or is it $50/day..... if it's just $50/flat it would be easier to pay the fine then try to clear it at this point :)

but watch out Christine, Darrin knows where you live i think anonymous call about an uncleared sidewalk is in the near future. :)

darwin darwin
Feb '14

Yup, I hired people for the heavy icy crap, there was no way I could do that. I don't have a sidewalk, thank goodness. I have lots of driveway, a circular that comes up to the porch since my house is handicapped accessible. Lol, the clearing darned driveway is making me handicapped!

Lynnada Lynnada
Feb '14

Had to rig up a makeshift mailbox since I can't chop the plow ice from around it:( havent had mail since last Wednesday. The plow got close to my neighbors but veered back towards the street when they got near ours.
Cannot wait for the meltdown......

Blackcat Blackcat
Feb '14

darwin "but watch out Christine, Darrin knows where you live i think anonymous call about an uncleared sidewalk is in the near future. :)"

No need to try to start trouble, shame on u!

I have better things to do with my life then call the "h-town finest" on people, I am not a taddel-tale.

Actually if you read the law I posted, it goes on to say that the town will clear the walk, and put a lean on your property for the fee to clean it which must be payed when you pay your taxes. The $50 bucks seems like the initial warning

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

The sidewalks by Quik Check on Stiger leading to the crosswalk have not been cleared. If you want to walk through that way, good luck. There are some spots in town that are not cleared in non residential areas as well as in residential areas. We have done the best we can to keep up with it also but keep on getting more and more and no where to put it and then as stated above the plows push it back in.

I also wonder about the fire hydrants. I do not have one on my property or close to my property. I got the automated call to dig it out if I know of one that is snow covered. Once it all melts, I will take note of where the hydrant is and remember because at this point I would not know where to look for it. I think maybe in the future they could mark them with those reflector poles or something. I know a few of the DPW guys are also fire fighters so it will only help them in the long run. All of that being said, I think the roads in town have been dealt with quite well under the circumstances. People need to clear the best they can for sure but people out there walking need to use their heads and caution while out there navigating. If we have to limit parking and what not then pedestrians have to understand that it will not be perfect either due to the amount of it and the ice built in to it. Can't wait for spring!!

youngnfresh youngnfresh
Feb '14

OK Darrin you and your grandfather are hired, Come on over and give it a try. If my 2 older sons cannot dig thru it I doubt very much you can. I am not worried about any fines at all. Like I said there are many round town.

Besides its easy for you to say as you have no sidewalks to worry about.

Christine Christine
Feb '14

How much are you paying Christine? My hourly rate is directly affected by my liking of a particular person. As challenging as you made it seem, I do not work for free..

"I am not worried about fines because there are other people in town", seems very lame honestly, almost as good as getting pulled over for speeding and saying I was just keeping up with the guy in front of me, let me know where that attitude get you.

"easy for me to say".....yes i have no town sidewalks, but I still clear the one that runs the full length of my property to my garage, as well as the ones at my grandfather's house.

youngnfresh, it is town ordinance to clear any fire hydrants on your property as well, also listed on the town website. I would say these are more important to keep clear then sidewalks!!! obviously keeping both clear is a LAW, and something you agree tyo when purchasing the property.

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

i think there is a difference in plowing the sidewalk with normal snowfall on it and trying to plow a sidewalk that just had an entire street plow pushed on it. The one by Christine's house and the one in front on my neighbor's house are tall enough to build a tunnel thru. In fact my kids and my neighbor's kids actually tried to make it a tunnel for fun but it was rock solid

darwin darwin
Feb '14

Yes, it is the law and I don't have one on my property. Yet, all the ones are covered with snow in town which was the reason for the automated call. So all those property owners have not cleared them. It is the homeowners' responsibility to keep them clear if there is one on their property but I still think someone whether the fire dept or DPW or even the homeowner should mark them before a big snow so they don't run into a problem where the hydrants are "lost" in the snow.

youngnfresh youngnfresh
Feb '14

and come on Darrin, you know me by now to know i was joking about you calling it in.. have some fun buddy!

darwin darwin
Feb '14

youngnfresh the guy that lives by me always clears his really well, it's all good now, but god forbid there is a house fire, they would be wishing they cleared it!

of course darwin, you always instigate, as do I :-)

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

Well Darrin..........I will give you an honest days work. Seeing that some neighborhood kids would not take $50 to try it I am sure you wont either.

As far as the fire hydrants yes. Mine is not on my property. Yet my neighbor has never dug it out as its on his property. So mine is under about 6 feet of ice. Sad really. Its my kids job today to try that but its not looking easy.

LIKE I SAID Before there is no way in hell these sidewalks on my corner are going to be cleared. BUT FEEL FREE to try!

Christine Christine
Feb '14

Rent me a backhoe for a hour and I will get it cleaned guaranteed, see hell isn't that far away after all!

We can shoot shit all day, My point is that is is not impossible, you just don't want to do it or pay the expense to do it, and your excuse is by comparison of other law breakers.

fire hydrants are a serious concern, I would either say something to the owner or clear it myself, that is a huge risk leaving that blocked

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

24 inches and counting, I would hate to hear people if we got some real snow like out west deals with every day! Put your big boy pants on people! WE LIVE IN NJ AND BY DOING SO YOU CHOOSE TO DEAL WITH A CHANGE IN SEASONS!

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

Darrin why don't you run for Community snow remover police person or something.. Seriously instead of ragging on Christine go shovel some fire hydrants if you're that concerned. This has been an exceptionally bad winter. Get over it and don't worry Christine I'm sure the town has more concerns than fining you . People need to get a life.

Kit Kat Kit Kat
Feb '14

+1 kit kat

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

kit kat, My problem is with people who make it sound like they do everything right, yet rag about specifically breaking the law and making it sound like it is impossible when it isn't that far out of reach. Worry about your own problems and I will continue to police the snow removal

we get a little bit of snow and suddenly everything goes out the window, grow up people, we have 20 inches, there are places that get 50+ in a week. Sissys

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

Back to name calling again Darrin. Watch your true colors are showing again.

I will take my chances. As right now I don't have the extra money for the backhoe rental you suggest. See the point is once again you know everything but nothing at all. Turn me in I don't care........Many other people are in the same situation as I and I am disabled with 2 healthy young men that cannot do it. Still don't see you out there though!

Christine Christine
Feb '14

have you thought about calling the town and having them bring their backhoe. Tell the town that the plow pushed in your sidewalk and you cannot clear It

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

He is the winner, Christine, in that category

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

He is not a winner he is a whiner! He needs to look around town and stop complaining. So many people are in the same situation. He has nothing compared to a lot of us.

Christine Christine
Feb '14

exactly - mean spirited

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

You guys are not kidding, the walks at the sky lands bank of America are horrid, especially for a business, they should be fined, thanks for noticing I am a winner, and do take note where u took this topic, all I did is came in saying that you shouldn't say things are impossible, as you said it was impossible to clear your walks, maybe out of your league, but not impossible.

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

Darrin, ride your snowmobile over the offenders sidewalks... better than nothing and you can have fun while at it :)

Lol christine, I am a whiner, now ain't that the pot calling the kettle black!!!! I do believe she said winner thank you!

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

Ijay, now you are thinking! But then to have to knock on everyone's door to ask permission ...... but aren't sidewalks town property?

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

darrin wrote - "I would either say something to the owner or clear it myself, that is a huge risk leaving that blocked"

so when are you and your 86 year old father going to volunteer to help out over at Christine's house? you do care about the community don't you?

you been really pushing the safety and the community aspect of this, so when are you going to pony up and volunteer to help out a woman who has serious health issues?

????. . . . . What's that you say?

put up or shut up, that's enough now.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Feb '14

"i think there is a difference in plowing the sidewalk with normal snowfall on it and trying to plow a sidewalk that just had an entire street plow pushed on it." A-MEN!!

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Feb '14

Darrin, I agree with you 100%. Clearing sidewalks is not an option. If you are the homeowner/tenant it is your duty to see that it is clear whether you do it yourself or hire someone to do it for you. This is not a hard concept. I have no idea how much snow is being plowed onto your sidewalk, but the point about it being frozen/rock solid is the whole reason why it should be taken care of as soon as the storm is over. You won't have that problem. There have been many times I go out several times throughout a storm to avoid having to clear too much at one time and also to clear it BEFORE it freezes.

Brother Dog, Really! Why should anyone volunteer when she's got 2 very healthy,abled bodied, lazy twenty something year old sons. It was easier to just dig their cars Out and the go party.

UGOTSNOW
Feb '14

"Why should anyone volunteer "

because it's the right thing to do,

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Feb '14

Bro, why don't you then, if its the right thing to do! I'd do it for a Senior Citizen or someone who actually needed it. Not in this case........

Snow joke
Feb '14

No lazy 20 yr old something's here. They all work and pay bills. Sorry to disappoint ya all. PLUS they all had friends helping them.

During the snowfall they were out 3 times. While sleeping was when the plows came and did a number.

If you guys just don't get it then I will stop explaining. ITS IMPOSSIBLE!

Christine Christine
Feb '14

Christine - they are acting like - oh never mind - I fully understand, empathize and wish I could help - but I can't even do my deck......................
They seem to make comments without reading anything you said here - hmmmm

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

Christine-dont waste your time on them. You answering them is time you cant get back.

botheredbyuu
Feb '14

I know 5catmom. I think they like to hear themselves talk as much as I do. LOL!

You don't see me outside trying so am not worried. Hopefully the rain will make it easier in a few days til then my neighbors will use the street like they do in the summer walking their dogs.

Christine Christine
Feb '14

ugotsnow and snow joke are trolling posers who clearly have anger management issues, this is gettin' pretty weird i gotta say . . . .

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Feb '14

you are so right, BrotherDog - need to find a group for people with anger management issues

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

------->

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '14

Lmao, thanks guys, just goes to show who is looking for excuses opposed to who CAN get the job done. My hydrant and my grandfather's are both cleared. My community service was for the people also benefiting from those hydrants. Christine side of ttown is her sons problem, after all she has two able bodied sons and she always serves our town to the best of her ability.

Health issues is no excuse if that's what you are looking for, first off u exposed you had two sons doing everything, secondly you could hire someone. If you can not afford to hire someone you should be looking for a new place where you don't have any responsibilities that affect public saftey. The same responsibilities you agree to take care of when purchasing the property.

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

This is the pile that is in front of my neighbors house, it's 8 feet high. You can still see the imprint from the plow that pushed it into their yard. Somewhere under there is a sidewalk. So while it is good advice to shovel a little throughout the storm so not to get overwhelmed, the point some of us are making is it's hard to shovel when someone plows 8 feet of solid ice onto your property.

Darwin Darwin
Feb '14

Haven't read all on this thread, but if it hasn't been mentioned, when ice and snow are piled up by plows on your share of the sidewalks, home owners in our area just shovel or snowblow a temporary path across their grass so it is safer for walkers. Sometimes it requires some special reseeding in the spring, etc, but at least it is a safe, easier alternative than to sand blasting the sidewalks...

Feb '14

yes Darwin I saw that yesterday, I drove by, but as the responsibility of the homeowner who's sidewalk got blocked, is to clear that sidewalk, they should take action and report the person who was plowing the apartment complex behind your house, as plowing snow across the street is also illegal. Action taken would mean the contractor who piled the snow there, over top of the sidewalk, must come back and clear the snow he illegally pushed across the street.

also I measured it, it's more like 5 feet, everyone seems to love to exaggerate to try to make a better point. also another note, on the topic of "someone piling 8 feet of solid ice on your property" It wasn't solid ice when they plowed it, it became solid ice because you continued to sleep. :-) During the storm I listen for plows, when I hear it go by I immediately go out and clean it up, because i know that if you leave it, it freezes, again all part of the responsibilities of a homeowner.

A few years back I snowplowed and did sidewalks for a company who does all the version buildings, I am well aware of how much it sucks when a plow piles snow up over top of a sidewalk you must clear, but as responsibility goes, we got the job done.

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

That would solve it Spring Fever. Common sense usually prevails.

Yesterday the DPW was on our street; two guys with shovels and one man in a front end loader clearing the catch basins. I noticed while in front of my house they had no idea where the basin was located. I went out and told them I would clear it out. He looked at me like I was nuts. I said after all they only had another 500 of these to do and I would be happy to help out. They thanked me and continued on to the next one. I spent maybe 30 mins clearing it out. A few whacks with a pick ax and some good old hard work and voila- success.

Dude you really need to get off your soapbox

FYI, 5 ft is what I have at the end of my driveway as I am 5'8" and stand next to it and see over it. Sorry i was not that anal like you were and actually measured it, which i doubt you did considering its more than 5feet..., i saw my pile was 5ft and that pile was almost twice as tall so i went with 8ft.. you're right it is probably more like 7'11" :)

"It wasn't solid ice when they plowed it, it became solid ice because you continued to sleep. :-)"

Again not my yard, not my problem and I was out of town when they plowed it so who not sure why you are saying "you"

"During the storm I listen for plows, when I hear it go by I immediately go out and clean it up, because I know that if you leave it, it freezes, again all part of the responsibilities of a homeowner."

I'm glad you don't go to work when it snows that you can stay home all day waiting for plows to go by. Most don't have that luxury. Some shoveled themselves out went to work for 8hrs only to come home to a pile of ice 7'11"feet tall. Also this family are not homeowners, they are renters

darwin darwin
Feb '14

Can we go back to the regularly scheduled venting, PLEASE?

Darrin, we get it. Enough already.

Tracy Tracy
Feb '14

I don't see wide clean side walk near any establishment between intersection 57 and 24 up to intersection with East Ave. All these businesses are open so why THEY didn't clean path walk in front of them? They have manpower and money to do so. So why to pick on residents instead of going for larger fish?

Greenworks oil-STAY AWAY!! Ordered LAST Wed. Excuse after excuse. They only check their messages once a day. Still no oil delivered. First it was snow, then it was the weekend, then the holiday. Others worked the holiday! Now the driveway isnt plowed wide enough. Really?? BS because my neighbor had oil delivered and they used my driveway to drive into to deliver. Had Greenworks years ago and got rid of them, but dont remember why. Should have stayed away. Will be calling the neighbors oil company. Be forewarned.

botheredbyuu
Feb '14

HAHA, isn't it fun when someone gets under your skin darwin? Payback for all those times I have to deal with your anal-alities with bergen tool. New word, anal-alities!

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

"Can we go back to the regularly scheduled venting, PLEASE? "

Don't you see tracy, all this IS venting!!!! LMAO!

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

Darrin, Darwin...... you guys related? Lol

botheredbyuu
Feb '14

LMAO, thank god NO! Darwin wouldn't be so lucky :-)

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

People have en excuse for everything lol. Just do your sidewalks and fire hydrants! God forbid something happens and emergency crews like police, EMS, or firemen need to get through to rescue you or you families or homes!! Just do it already! Or call the town and tell them what their plows have done. Don't just complain, take action. Clear your snow or have someone else do it. Just get it done. Jeez. Lol... End Rant.

Kiki
Feb '14

I've had problems with Greenworks too, bbu. I ordered oil and it didn't come for a week. I really needed it, so I called another company who was able to deliver right away. Called Greenworks to cancel the delivery. They came the next day and charged me a fee for arriving to find out the tank was filled.

My my my.

rich fitzgerald rich fitzgerald
Feb '14

I am being considered for an open job position along with one other person. I am very well qualified for the position, have many years of experience, meshed well with the team and truly feel I have a lot to bring to the table. I am told by someone on the "inside" that the other candidate, who has a Master's degree, seems to lack experience and assertiveness required for the position. Unfortunately it looks like the hiring team is leaning towards the other candidate who is more qualified on paper but has less real-life qualifications for the position. Certainly I understand that this person put in a lot of time and effort to obtain their degree, but I am wholeheartedly disappointed as this position would be an excellent fit for me. I knew my lack of education (although not a lack of knowledge) would be a downfall for me someday, but this is the first time it has really been a disadvantage and possibly a deciding factor.

Feb '14

Happy Homemaker, unfortunately this is the way of the world, that's why I am working on my masters degree. Everyone wants to see paperwork paperwork paperwork.

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

MB-I'm not surprised. Hope you fought it. I canceled them yesterday when they lied and said they came on Tuesday and couldnt get up driveway. If there was an issue on Tuesday, why wasnt I contacted on Tuesday? I called Day & Night and they were so nice and delivered today and had NO issues with my driveway. Great company!

botheredbyuu
Feb '14

That's odd about Greenworks, I just ordered from them last week. No issues. They came the next day.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '14

I had an issue with Greenworks last week too (weather related) ... ordered via the "orderoil" web site. Order went through fine, but a half hour later I get an email saying they declined my order due to the weather ... they could have just accepted it and delivered this week. Called Oil Heating Specialists of North Jersey and he actually delivered same day because he was already going to be in my neighborhood that day for a delivery. Great service, competitive price. Took a week for that "hold" to come off of my money too from the canceled Greenworks order (annoyed with Valley National Bank on that one!).

AB- luckily my hold from Greenworks was dropped as soon as I canceled the order. HATE when they hold up your money. Not right. I too ordered from "orderoil" website. You don't know what company you are getting until you commit to your order.

botheredbyuu
Feb '14

I have a 100-lb. German Shepherd sitting on my lap as I'm at the computer. Poor Marcus. He now hates thunder.

I can't feel my feet, as of 5 minutes ago.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '14

lol poor puppy

skippy skippy
Feb '14

I can't remember the name of the old place prior to pub 517! ugh help

daisy
Feb '14

OMG Candy Crush. That is all. No wait, is there a CCA?

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '14

daisy,
The Still, Tranquility Inn,
Why is this under a venting thread?

ignatz ignatz
Feb '14

Because it was driving me nuts so I was venting and hoping for help!! lol Thank you!!

daisy
Feb '14

Not only did I have to let my 6 year old cat go today to end his misery of a skin disorder that him ripping his own fur out but while we were at the vets office making the deciding factor to stop trying to treat it and just let him go my husband took a call from his mother letting us know that his uncle passed last night. The uncle was a second husband to my mother in laws sister that we only met a couple times but he was a great guy that will be missed. My cat on the other hand was a part of my everyday life. He was part of our family and it hurts so much that we had to let him go. I know in my head it was the best thing for him but my heart keeps telling me I could've tried at least one more type of treatment. Then the head jumps in again and tells me it might have just made him suffer more. God I wish our animals could talk to us and tell us what they want and need.

jrsemom jrsemom
Feb '14

@Rebecka..when you find the CCA meeting, please let me know, LOL. It's killing me!

Bessie Bessie
Feb '14

so sorry, jrsemom --doing the right thing can be so hard...........

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

@Jrsemom..sorry to hear about Mike's uncle, even though you met only a few times, you had that connection to say he was a nice guy and surely will be missed. As far as Gizmo goes, always a hard decision to have to make but stay comfortable with your decision, You were the one that had to see him suffer with the skin problem, and you definitely tried to take care of it. Hugs to you on this very bad day :(

Bessie Bessie
Feb '14

jrsemom and family: The Duke and I are really sorry you are having such a bad and sad time...losing a favorite pet is so very hard and on top of all that a family member as well. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.

joyful joyful
Feb '14

I'm very sorry Jrsemom.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '14

Jrsemom ~ so sorry for all you are dealing with.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Feb '14

jrsemom - I have a huge amount of sympathy for you right now, I went through the exact same thing three weeks ago. My uncle who survived emergency surgery died on a Sunday, his funeral was on Thursday, and Tigger died on the Tuesday in between. I try not to think of the final end but all of the good years and the great things they did over the years. Nothing changes that.

Thank you everyone. GC, I am so sorry for your losses as well. Fortunately we have our good memories and that is how they will be remembered.

jrsemom jrsemom
Feb '14

GC ~ so sorry to hear about Tigger and your Uncle as well.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Feb '14

OK, the HL photo wall on the right side is a little weird today, lots of birds, both real ones and bikini babes and then a big sign that says "California Sucks." Seems to all work together but I am not sure I like the theme :>)

Somebody post some different pictures, quick.

Feb '14

jrsemom and GC- I'm so sorry for your losses.

positive positive
Feb '14

Condolences to both Jrsemom and family as well as GC -

Firefly Firefly
Feb '14

Is this a better photo for you mistergoogle. But then again, I don't think some folks here will want this in stores either!

John C John C
Feb '14

Sooo sorry about Tigger GC! Had no idea.

Christine Christine
Feb '14

GC so sorry for your losses as well.

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

Jrsemom and GC, so sorry for your recent losses...

Feb '14

OH GC, so sorry to hear about your bad news too. Hard enough to lose a family member, but to lose your furbaby at the same had to be very difficult. For those that have followed the life of Tigger on the forum..this is very sad news for all.

Bessie Bessie
Feb '14

Hugs, GC. So sorry to hear about Tigger.

Tracy Tracy
Feb '14

sympathies on the loss of your family members GC, cats are people too, still miss mine every day,

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Feb '14

GC, I'm sorry to hear about your uncle. And Tigger will always be a beloved HL family member, never to be forgotten. I will miss the Tigger posts.

Jrsemom & Mike, I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your uncle. And I'm sad to hear about your kitty. I know it's hard to lose him, but his suffering is over.

Why do people feel its necessary when they go food shopping to talk on their blue tooth. Like they are the only one in the store. Loud and oblivious to everyone around them. Find it very rude. If you are that important that your calls cant wait until you get home, then maybe you need to do the shop from home program and let the store deliver. And even worse is when they are checking out and still talking when the cashier is asking them things. In my opinion, these are the most rude, ignorant people in the world

botheredbyuu
Feb '14

Have gone a week without a reliable fridge - can't use the existing one as the temp increases and decreases wildly - anywhere from 32 - 65 degrees.

Purchased a new one a week ago. Had to wait till today for the delivery. Made it very clear what had to be removed. Provided measurements (the existing fridge is a large built in). Had the HD sales person call the delivery team - speaking with both the delivery manager and the appointment coordinator to verify that they will take the existing fridge.

Come today - No one told the delivery team that this was an oversized fridge - they sent 2 smaller guys (one looked like a teenager). No way they can take the old fridge and now balking at taking it at all. Have to refuse delivery and who knows how long it will be before we try again!

Not happy at all. Even when you try to be upfront and confirm everything - it still does not work!

Coralie Coralie
Feb '14

@botheredbyuu .. I totally agree with you! My second job is as a part-time sales associate for a department store and I run into that every time I work! They hold up "the hand" for me to wait until they are done with their conversation before I can finish processing their sale ...meanwhile, they are holding up everyone else that is standing behind them in line. So rude ... ugh ... makes me want to scream LOL

Wow, Coralie! I don't usually vent, but I will share your vent with you...that must be so frustrating!

Feb '14

BBU --- just snuggle up real close within bluetooth shot, look at your cart, and say "oh fXXk" real loud and then head back to the store for what you forgot :>)

Feb '14

Coralie, watch out if they try to charge you with a "restocking fee" They did that to us twice and they were the one's that sent us the wrong couch twice.

John C John C
Feb '14

I will not be paying any restocking fee. They will come back with 4 guys to take the fridge out. I need a fridge and just want it delivered.

They actually had the nerve to say that they would set up the new fridge in another room??!!?? WTH - Totally shocked at that "offer". Was quite clear to them that it was not acceptable because I was not going to be in a position where they now left and later I am just stuck with the existing fridge in the kitchen and the other fridge god knows where!

I wouldn't be upset or venting if I had been the one trying to pull a fast one on them. But I went shopping knowing that I had a challenge and made sure they confirmed first before I would make the purchase.

Coralie Coralie
Feb '14

After going round and round with the delivery company and even going to Home Depot in person and getting no where - it is determined that they will not uninstall and remove the existing fridge. If I want this fridge from HD, I need to find a way to get this done. Spent another hour trying to see my options.

Decided to call Hackettstown Trading Post to see if they could help out. Yes, they can! I do have to pay a fee to have the built in removed (but it is less than the other options I was exploring), but they can do the job with the delivery of a new fridge. Went down to look at their options tonight. Ended up getting a better fridge (based on user reviews) that will fit the space nicely and they will deliver on Thursday - even helping out with a quick delivery for me as well.

I knew that I should have checked them out first - considering I had a non-standard situation.

Now I just have to complete the return at HD - but they have already said they will take the return since I did not accept delivery. That will be tomorrow's challenge - just wanted to go to the store during the hours with the same people working - so there is no issue.

Hopefully this will be a blessing in disguise with a different fridge. Will see!

Coralie Coralie
Feb '14

Tripped today over a low step...not ice or snow....that might have been easier to take....and gradually more and more things are achy......lacking grace is not a gift

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

Yikes Coralie! Sounds like a nightmare. Hope it all works out.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '14

I hope you are feeling better 5catmom.

positive positive
Feb '14

thanks positive - just some aches fortunately

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

If I see one more pile of dog excrement on the sidewalk or next to the sidewalk, I am going to freaking lose it. I am so sick of the lazy slob people that live in this development. I climb into waist high snow banks to pick up after my dog and these pigs can't even bend down and pick it up at their feet.

Tracy Tracy
Feb '14

i really feel like this forum is sometimes dominated by threads about lost dogs and lost cats and it really makes me angry. especially the posts with lost pets in this terrible cold... so sad. please keep your pets leashed or fenced in. your pets depend on you for safety.

Poppy Girl
Feb '14

hope things worked out, Coralie -- went through it over a washing machine I bought - along with other appliances ---that didn't clean my clothes - turned out it was a "cold water" machine - who knew ---but I was dealing with PC Richards and they did let me pick another - pay the difference in price - and remove and install the new one - good customer service and their own repair people --hope you have done as well
Meanwhile I'm plenty pissed because I may have cracked a rib when I fell the other day - and my sinuses are killing me - and I'm used to feeling pretty good --ugh

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

5cat - hope you are feeling better soon. Please have that rib checked out - want to make sure you are taking care of it and it has not done any other damage to you.

Hackettstown Trading Post did an excellent job. They arrived within the set time they said, brought the 3 guys they needed to complete the job and all went pretty well.

I am so glad this is over. Home Depot did complete the return without even trying to charge a restocking fee.

Thank you for asking and I hope you get that rib checked out!

Coralie Coralie
Feb '14

Oh wow, 5catmom - I hope you have some pain meds that work well for you, and you are taking it easy. I've heard a cracked rib can be awful (from a friend who has the same thing from a fall right now).

Re: sinuses - have you tried Breathe Right strips? They work wonders for me.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '14

thanks Rebecka -just taking tylenol - it only hurts when I move certain ways and it's not bad - had a cracked rib years ago - took 5 days till I felt it and that one I really felt -- re sinuses haven't tried that - but saline spray works well if I remember to use it - will try the strips............not letting it stop me - thining of a walk in the cold or should I say frigid ---or should I vent about the temps???

Coralie - no point in getting it checked out - if it's cracked there is nothing to do for it - docs only want to see you if you have trouble breathing -that 's definitely not a problem - walked around town with JrzyGirl yesterday - we are trying to walk on a regular schedule --lol

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

I swear by my nettie pot for sinuses. I use it every night if I need it or not. cleans out all the germs from the day and cleans out all my allergy yuck. Worth the investment.

Christine Christine
Feb '14

how do you use a nettie pot and what do you put in it?

skippy skippy
Feb '14

Skippy - google "Neilmed sinus." They make a kit which is just like a neti pot (except it's a bottle rather than a pot -- easier to use in my experience) which has everything you need. Available at Walmart and Target in our area. It is a really great idea. I use this almost every night, too, Christine. Sleep so much better.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '14

@skippy..you use warm water and saline..we use it regularly in our house..it seems if you have a cold, it shortens it and gets rid of the stuffiness. I love it. Here's a video, it's really a lot easier than it looks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpnie02m93Q

Bessie Bessie
Feb '14

Love my Neti-Pot for congestion. Yes 5Cat and I are attempting to walk regularly (well kinda- LOL) and please be careful if you are out walking by yourself today, there were spots of black ice through the Valley. Stay off the hills with that rib!

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Feb '14

thanks!

skippy skippy
Feb '14

skippy you can also purchase spray containers already mixed - probably costs a little more but works fine -

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

hope your rib heals fast,

my advice is to not take pain killers for it, it will heal stronger, faster if you can avoid moving in ways that makes the pain worse.

pain is hard to deal with, it's true, but in this case it provides a good signal of what not to do. i feel that dulling out those signals prolongs the repair and rehab

get better soon, any one who has 5 cats to take care of needs to be up on her feet

be well :)

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Feb '14

thanks brodog - not feeling bad - just a little achy ---having had a bad back two years ago - I am cautious though clumbsy ---thanks for the advise and wishes

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

My diamond got loose in its setting and now I can't wear my engagement ring until we can get it fixed. :o(

Tracy Tracy
Feb '14

Tracy, that sucks but at least you realized it before you lost the diamond. Could be worse.

jrsemom jrsemom
Feb '14

Get better 5catmom...hope to see you at the Lounge. :)

positive positive
Feb '14

Definitely, jrse. It's insured, but I'd die if anything happened to it.

Tracy Tracy
Feb '14

Scene in the kitchen just now: I closed the cupboard where we keep the spices, and turned around a few minutes later, and it was open a few inches. Closed it again, and the same thing happened. Am I losing my mind? Repeated the close, found it open again moments later.

Great, I thought, now our house is haunted. Just what I need.

But no. A few minutes later a cat jumped out.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '14

Wow!! Right now my neighbor is singing so loud....she sounds like a dying Hyena! Definitely something for a laugh on American Idol. I need to turn the volume up on my tv to drown her out!

positive positive
Mar '14

record her, positive and put it up somewhere

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '14

Great idea...love it! Lol

positive positive
Mar '14

Oh Christ, hope it's not me..............lol I so love to sing.....LOUD. Cant carry a note to save my life, but that doesnt stop me. lol

littlelu littlelu
Mar '14

Hello fairly local pizza joint... I'd like 2 cheesesteaks please. 1 chix cs with sauce mushrooms and onions and one regular cs with sauce mushrooms and onions. "OK but cheesesteaks come with mushrooms, onions AND peppers" thanks, but I don't want peppers just mushrooms, onions and sauce please. "OK so you don't want peppers right?" no thanks just mushrooms, onions and sauce. "so that's 2 cheesesteaks with mushrooms and onions" and sauce. "ok" cut to sitting down to eat 40 minutes later two starving people rip into their cheesesteaks. Mushrooms? Check onions? Check Sauce? Negative. Really? One slice of Kraft singles processed cheese melted on each half? Check.. Oh and EW gross. I mean REALLY... It's my own fault. The 4th time I had to repeat sauce I should've have had a clue. But I'm just not me when I'm hungry lol!

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Mar '14

I work retail, boy do I hate it. How frigging hard is it to put the item you just took off hook, BACK ON the hook, or shelf? Really!! Is it stupidity, ignorance, laziness? What is it?

hatemyjob
Mar '14

My vent: someone broke into the gym lockers at HHS - (supposedly several thefts have been reported for the last few weeks). I called the school - no response - this lack of communication - frustrates me more than the actual thefts.

Please tell your teens to lock up their stuff - and be aware of their surroundings.

htownnewbie htownnewbie
Mar '14

Sorry htownnewbie! This happened so many times while my kids were there and nothing was ever done when I complained. Sad part is they had locks on them. Locks gone just clothes left. One time they took his basketball sneakers. Had to buy all whole new pair. Sad......

Christine Christine
Mar '14

I desperately need a haircut and really love Amy @ Smartstyle (Walmart). Called today to make an appointment and was told that they no longer take appointments .. I can call an hour ahead of when I would like to come and see what the wait is like. I was just there a few weeks ago in person to try to make an appointment with Amy and she was booked up for a few weeks for the times I could go so I couldn't make an appointment then (they were accepting them at that time!). This stinks because I really like her, but I work 60+ hours a week so trying to figure out when she's there and to try to get a place in line to have her do my hair just won't work for me :( Back to square one to find a good stylist!

AB - just stop in and you should be able to make an appt. Or call again and maybe speak to someone else? Sometimes it depends on whom you ask. :-) I would rather go without getting my hair done than see someone other than Amy!

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '14

@Rebecka I'm off Friday so I will definitely stop in there - hopefully she's working - I will wait for hours LOL The funny thing is that the last time I stopped in to try to make the appointment, the woman who greeted me sounded very annoyed that I was asking for Amy ... her slots were filled up and others "not so much". I agree with you which is why my hair is in such a sad, scary state ... I need Amy! :)

@AB-Rachel is very good there also. I wouldn't hesitate to ask for her if Amy isn't available.

outsider outsider
Mar '14

thanks Christine. 1K in cash was stolen from the students - a tough life lesson to learn.

htownnewbie htownnewbie
Mar '14

OUCH! Hope they catch them! Keep on them though as they will let it go easily.

Christine Christine
Mar '14

AB - good luck! I'd wait for hours for Amy, too. Others there may indeed be good, but it's just that when I've found a gem, I'm not taking any chances. No one else gives soft (not choppy) layers that I like.

My vent: our linoleum kitchen floor now has a very interesting Muddy Paw Print motif going on. If I posted a pic, you would either laugh or cry. Imagine 4 dogs going in and out literally 9 times a day, and right out back is mud... just mud. It's unbelievable.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '14

4 dogs? Rebecka - is Athena coming to visit?

wbeleno wbeleno
Mar '14

Hatemyjob-I hear you. Work p/t retail and just dont understand people.

Vent-why would an elderly man make a right on red, in front of 2 fast moving dump trucks. Omg! I thought he was going to get squashed. He was wrong for turning and I feel the truck drivers were wrong for going that fast on Rt 46 past East Ave. Maybe time for this elderly man to be retested at DMV. Thank goodness the truck drivers were able to slow down.

botheredbyuu
Mar '14

Ab - I second about Rachel. I have had both Amy and Rachel cut mine. Amy actually recommended Rachel to me because Amy was booked. I was told that Rachel cuts Amy's hair. Both ladies do a great job!! I know it's hard when we have a favorite :)

Sunshine Sunshine
Mar '14

annoyed when someone posts for help - usually regarding animals - lost found - in the attic ---and never updates us ---people are thoughtful - helpful -going out of their way often - and we are dropped like cold potatoes - got possums?

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '14

Another scam

http://www.americanownews.com/story/24779530/dont-answer-an-ad-that-say-photo-on-request

I was pulled over yesterday for an over due car registration. When I explained to the officer that I had paid for it on line and could I show him proof in my bank account or email he said No, it didn't matter as DMV is saying it's over due. He was kind enough to not tow my car but I did get a ticket and have to go to court. Spent 30 minutes on hold yesterday with DMV in Trenton only to be disconnected while being transferred to the right dept. Called again today while I was driving home and was on hold for about 30 more minutes when I got to the PO where I needed to mail a piece of jewelry. Stood in line there for 10 minutes there and lo and behold....yep as soon as it was my turn at the PO, DMV picked up my call. Long story short from here on in...DMV will only accept a bank statement ( not the confirmation from them showing I paid) and it has to be faxed, it can't be scanned and emailed - only faxed. When I acted a bit miffed about it the guy get got a total attitude with me. Like I was bothering him.

Firefly Firefly
Mar '14

Attitudes are BIG at DMV. If you dont have a BIG one, you cant work there. Sorry the state f'ed you over Firefly.

botheredbyuu
Mar '14

AND this is why I go to Washington DMV for anything! I get it right then and there, I never have to wait and I find them courteous and professional. My son did not believe me as he had to renew his registration. I told him go there and if you wait more then 15 minutes I will give you $20. He was in and out in 5 mins! He could not believe it and agreed the ladies were very helpful. Have never mailed anything in for about 8 years now.

Now NEVER go to Randolph totally opposite experience.

Christine Christine
Mar '14

Randolph has Dover right next door. Imagine dealing with no-hablas all day...

It is quick these days to go to Washington...but honestly I do everything online anymore and generally never have any trouble.

Firefly Firefly
Mar '14

I pay for everything online and haven't had any problems yet. Firefly, that was just so ridiculous what happened to you and infuriating. Seems like you handled it well and in a mature manner.

Christine- I completely agree about the Washington DMV...they are fantastic.

positive positive
Mar '14

I go to Washington and one little guy there has a BIG attitude. Guess to make up for his size. He is nasty!

botheredbyuu
Mar '14

I can't believe the Downtown Abbey "season" lasted two months. So annoying. I would really look forward to that on Sunday nights.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '14

Went to the Washington MVC ( really want to say DMV) to renew registration. I was in and out in less than 5 minutes. Had enough time to run to the Donut Factory up the road;)

Blackcat Blackcat
Mar '14

Am at the periodontist...would rather be anywhere else....even mvc

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '14

ok - I take it back - it was no big deal - so I unvent

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '14

"Unvent..." ROFL 5catmom! Great word. Glad it wasn't as bad as you thought it might be.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '14

wasn't bad at all - if anyone ever needs a perio guy with a great laugh and a painless touch- let me know - he's in Succasauna

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '14

I had to go clothes shopping yesterday, which I DESPISE. I try to buy as much as I can online because I truly hate going to the mall. On the model, the shirts I picked up were form fitting and hit below the waist and looked perfect. I ordered them and knew as soon as I saw them there was no way they were going to fit appropriately- they were just as wide as they were long. I understand that these clothing companies need to market their goods but there is absolutely no way that the model wore that shirt without pinching it up in the back for the photographs. I also found some really nice dresses that came to the model's knee, but apparently the model was only 5'3" because when I tried them on it looked like I was trying to get into a night club (I am fairly tall).

So I headed off to the mall to return the stuff that didn't fit and pick up some new things. In EVERY SINGLE store, the clothing that the mannequins were wearing were bunched up in the back to give the appearance that the clothing fit totally different than it actually does. Isn't this false advertising? They should display the clothing as is, not with serious modifications. I certainly can't binder clip my dress in the back for work to make it look better. I am not talking about a slight pinching of fabric, I am talking bunching here (maybe 4-5" of fabric)- probably even too much to take in if I wanted to spend the money on the dress and then have it tailored.

I hate shopping.

Mar '14

HH - I hear ya! I have similar issues, I have a small frame, but a large chest so unless tops are tailored they hang from my chest like a tent and make me look bulky. I am much shorter tho 5'4" - borderline petite (5'4" and under is petite) so petite pants are too short and regular are too long, ugh. Why can't they make women's clothing in measurement sizes like mens?

Lynnada Lynnada
Mar '14

Lynnada - "measurement sizes like mens" Let me say that when you're a 5'4" guy instead it's not like that helps any better. They may 32" or 34" pants but they're 32" long regulars, 30" if you can find the short ones. Everyone once in a while if you can get lucky enough to find the extra short they're still 29" long. Measurement sizes just don't include 32" x 26"!! ;-)

Don't get me started on mens 'athletic fit' shirts which might taper a whole 2" from the chest measurement - leaving me a good 8" or more of extra fabric at my waist.

r-man
Mar '14

A friend of ours is reaching the end. Very old friend of DH. Head and neck cancer... DH is spending the night with him tonight... he's going to be a mess when his friend passes. Such a nice guy, and is being taken too soon.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '14

so sad, Rebecka - sorry for the friend and your DH

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '14

while running a battery powered vacuum, the power went out on my bedroom tv/cable box and the bathroom light. Circuit breakers are all fine. Can't quite figure out how something battery powered would have caused this - (yes I'm joking about that) - meanwhile I have to wait till tomorrow to get it fixed - I'm not a happy camper- vent-light compared with Rebecka's post

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '14

Daddy said my "tail is grass" (but he used a diffrent word) - he found a water pistol in the junk drawer and now whenever I attack him because he comes in the bedroom and I'm on the bed with mommy I'm gonna get it. (I tend ta jump up and down an growl an nash my teeth at him. But toy poodles are Bed Defenders its a Known Issue but I think I'm still gonna get squirted.)

Mar '14

Well, if anybody tries to shoot me with a squirt gun, I just catch it in my mouf. Who runs your house, anyway?

Romeo Romeo
Mar '14

We took over Mommy and Daddy's bed. But they trick us with treats to get in our beds every night. But who wouldn't go for a treat?

Christine Christine
Mar '14

"Squirt the Poodle" is an approved Association game. Carry on.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!

Oh, I'm just rolling on the floor with this one. Silly dogz, never learn.

Lovez ya Romeo!!

Sugar Sugar
Mar '14

Last night I puked on Mom's bed, you have to remind them who's in charge and that everything belongs to you every now and again, simple humans forget.

Yeah, I ate Punkin's food, she needs reminders too!

Romeo Romeo
Mar '14

This is my dog, I use him to do my bidding, his size is quite useful. Sometimes mother won't get up to feed me or stay in my room with me while I eat, if I go on the nightstand and hang over the dog, I make him nervous and he will get mother to get her lazy butt out of bed. If that doesn't work, I'll throw something off the nightstand at him. hahahahaha!

Romeo Romeo
Mar '14

That's just nasty.

Go Romeo! Go Romeo! Go Romeo! Go Romeo! Go Romeo!

White Shoes White Shoes
Mar '14

Oh, I did get squirted I did. Daddy said I learned a valuable lesson. Nex time he came ta bed I did not try to kill him.

Mar '14

dang - now I have to keep gracie away from my laptop - she has enough ideas of her own without getting any new tricks from you all STOP

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '14

Me and glasses with stems: not a good pairing. It just never seems to work out.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '14

Rebecka - I have been using stemless wine glasses for a while now - for that very reason - they do fine in the dishwasher --

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '14

Shoprite-some people just dont want to move out of the way. Dont stand in the middle of the aisle, staring into space, like you are the only one there. Dont leave your cart in the middle either. And when someone says "excuse me", dont roll your eyes. Stop being so self centered.

botheredbyuu
Mar '14

People that continually complain about being broke, being sick and expecting sympathy - one friend from childhood is starting to get on my every nerve - he complains too about not getting enough money from the state - yet he eats out at LOT and he eats crap - I've only seen head shots on his FB page, but last week he went to some monster convention and posted pictures with some of the 'characters' - holy crap on a cracker! - he must be at least 200 pounds overweight - no wonder his body his giving up on him and everything is so hard to do! And naturally he bought novelty crap at the monster convention - ugh - if he complains about being broke and sick one more time..... Now mind you, I know that chances are some of his ailments will not go away by getting thinner, but by eating better his body should be able to make some ground in getting better. AND he'll save money, then he can by more monster crap with ease. Thanks for letting me vent - this one really gets to me!

trekster3- trekster3-
Mar '14

When does it end. The sap falling from a tree in our yard. I have a small driveway, no place else to park my car. Right under that tree. I've never seen it this bad before. I can sit in my car and it's like big rain drops hitting the car. What a mess. All over the driveway I can handle, but the constant drip spots running down my car. I like a clean car and this is driving me crazy. My vent.

auntiel auntiel
Mar '14

I go my entire life coming to terms with things that happened when I was young, to just find out a whole different side to the story. So much conflicting information....I feel so lost :( Trying to put the pieces to a puzzle together but nothing wants to fit

Sunshine Sunshine
Mar '14

Here is a vent I had at the exact same time last year: Leila decided it was time to go swimming in our pond today. I TOLD her it was not yet swimming season, but she had other ideas. Now I have a smelly wet pond dog trotting around the house, because it's too cold to let her dry off in the pen. Oi! They really have a mind of their own sometimes.

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '14

A really stupid April Fool's joke posted by a friend: she announced yesterday that her husband got let go of his job after 27 years. As someone whose husband was out of work for over a year and having a mutual friend who was laid off twice within the past year, it was insensitive and not funny. What an immature woman.....

Blackcat Blackcat
Apr '14

i was just asked for my date of birth at Rite Aid to buy a lighter??!!

How old do you have to be to buy fire?

darwin darwin
Apr '14

just two words: Cat Chuck

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '14

The bear tore havoc in our yard last night. Not only did he take the garbage that was laced with ammonia but he killed or something killed some type of bird. All left is garbage everywhere and feather and bones.

Christine Christine
Apr '14

Ugggh, it just happened again. Huge pet peeve of mine.

I called someone (work related) and got their voice mail. I left a DETAILED message so if they were to get my voice mail on their call back they could just leave the answer. Of course they called me back and said, "What's up? I didn't bother to listen to your voice mail." So now I had to repeat the whole *&^%$#@! thing again.

Not the end of the world, but c'mon listen first and call back second.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '14

Oh, I hate that Calico. Just happened to me today.

I just got off the phone with insurance company and they did that. I detailed the whole situation when I filed the claim, yet they call and ask me all the same questions AGAIN! UGH!!! Plus they put me on hold and play this awful music, that is blasting in my ear and all static and chopped up. Please, really???

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

I am so sick of peoples BS! They cannot admit their wrong without spewing hate! Grow up!!! When there confronted by other people they blame someone else.

Christine Christine
Apr '14

I work two jobs and am starting a third. One full time and two will be part time. My wife and I clear a decent household income for two people below 30 years old. She works as well. I hear people at work complain all day about not getting paid enough. Yet they take week long vacations with their three kids, but the house is getting foreclosed on, their kids all sleep in the same room ages 6-16, eat out for lunch everyday etc... One day the real working class is going to snap and the free lunches so many of these people are relying on are going to stop and I can't wait to watch the world burn for it.

I understand the need for welfare, housing assistance, etc... last night I witness a women ~300lbs + (I'm guilty myself at 340lbs) buying on WIC checks the cheese, milk she is allowed and a cart FULL of cookies. I eat healthy, try to exercise as much as I can and stay active, it annoys me to no end people who need assistance trying not to make a better life for themselves.

I hate being asked when I'm having kids. I'm not even thirty and I'm way ahead of most in my generation. Married, house (newly renovated by me), career, no student loans debts, one car loan, four vehicles total, some toys, snowmobile/atv, a guys dream garage, and all I get asked about is when I'm having kids. My wife and I discussed at great length and we aren't ready. On the rare occasion I am on Faceshit(facebook) I see old classmates who are proud to be off drugs and getting pregnant with their child was their wake up call. Daddy is around as much as he can because he is working extra shifts at his only job mcdonalds or something. Don't get me wrong, he is providing and doing the best he can but don't some of these people has some sense of responsibility not to reproduce until they are able to financially support a child. Have we created a system so lopsided people feel entitled to have a child? And if you don't your the social outcast? My neighbors were upset when the sports car showed up in the driveway as they all wanted one, wives included, but couldn't because they had their child so young. They are going to be more upset as the fleet slowly gets upgraded.

Been holding some of that in for awhile. End rant/vent.

younggen younggen
Apr '14

@ Christine -- why not store the garbage cans in your garage? Leaving them out only invites bears...especially if you are not using bear-proof containers. The ammonia is not working.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/bearfacts_homeowner.htm

Tiger Dad Tiger Dad
Apr '14

Because they smell. Have not had a problem til now. They hit us again last night. And I put more ammonia in the cans. The funny part is they picked and choose which bags they wanted. Usually they hit us and go on and we see them again in about a week. I guess this one is staying. My new strategy is to put the ammonia in the bad and the can and more.

Christine Christine
Apr '14

@younggen - good for you. Don't let anyone pressure you to have children before you are ready, and also know it's fine if you're never ready! :-) We made the decision not to have children and couldn't be happier.

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '14

Younggen, Rebecka, Calico and anyone else child free by choice. You might enjoy this. 10 Things to Never Say to Women Who Don't Want Kids

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/celebrity/news/childless-women?src=soc_fcbks

jrsemom jrsemom
Apr '14

Been living here for 15 years and have always left the garbage outside, in cans and never had an issue with bears or any other kind of animals. Just lucky I guess.

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

Thanks jrsemom, I'm another child free by choice woman. So far the only envy I have of my friends who have children is now that their kids are driving, they have a designated driver to pick them up when we hang out, lol. Of course, they had to chauffeur the kids around when they were younger and I could just lay on the couch.

Lynnada Lynnada
Apr '14

jrsemom - that is a great list. #3 - I was dying laughing with the Mr. Bean clip. I regret nothing about not having children. It really is such a personal choice. Now that I'm in my early 40's, most people (read: my mother) are starting to stop with the "think about children" comments... thank God.

Re: bears and garbage - we can't leave our garbage out for a second. Our friend next door had his car "mauled" by a bear - because he transported garbage in it to the garage, and the bear smelled the remaining scent of garbage. The bear nearly caved the roof in! We have to put garbage out just before it is collected. No way we could leave it overnight. Been there, cleaned up that mess.

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '14

jrsemom, LOVE IT!!!!!! I do not have kids, but have worked with them for over 20 yrs. I actually think I have the perfect set-up. I get to enjoy kids all day then get nights/weekends off:)

Short story: I am an only child and I was a surprise! My mother does not care for kids at all and she is very open about it. Of course she loves me to the ends of the earth and would do anything for me, but it is no secret in our family that she was the one that was not planning to have children. I was having a conversation with someone the other day and when I shared this with them they were so shocked that someone may not care for kids? It was as if they couldn't even comprehend it. They even went as far to say "Oh now you are giving me a reason not to like your mom" I was like what??? There is no rule that every woman has to reproduce and some would be better off not to!!

Put your garbage in the garage they said. Well the bear came back and dented the garage doors trying to get in. My sons room is above garage and it scared the crap out of him. Wasn't a big one more juvenile. This one is persistent. The funny thing is we have a birds nest in a tree and they were going nuts chirping the whole time. So now I know he had to get some kind of bird the last time. Its not like I love in the woods. I am in a development with a little bit of green across the street.

Christine Christine
Apr '14

WTH!! Applied again (1st time about 1 yr ago) at a local retailer
and again got a email saying "sorry cant offer you job at this time". They are hiring, so thats not the issue. Answered all those questions online on the application. What am I doing wrong?Not like you have to be a rocket scientist to work there. . Just dont get it. I have retail experience so that should help. Maybe its an age thing.

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

If anyone spots a large inflated (possibly deflated by now) red Angry Bird balloon, its ours. Came with a remote to control it but we adults thought it would be more fun outside. 7 yr old told us the box said not for use outdoors:( Glad someone read the directions.....last seen a few hundred feet up over Flocktown Road:(

blackcat blackcat
Apr '14

bbu- Sorry to hear that. Maybe you can stop in the store and talk to the manager?

positive positive
Apr '14

I think that is a excellent idea also, positive for bbu.... Maybe they really would prefer that you apply in person and fill out a application for employment in the store you would like to work and while there....... maybe get a chance to speak directly to the store manager.

joyful joyful
Apr '14

Thanks, but they told me to fill the application out online. Its not my 1st choice for an employer, so Im just going to let it go. Just curious as to who they want as an employee. Thanks again. :)

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

Tulip munchers!! Oh, Mr Baci - time to get your friends UNDER CONTROL!!!

Seriously.

Are ya sure it's not the pesky deer, GC?

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '14

@bothered... I have gone through the same for almost a year!!! I call it taking the "Idiot" test..out of 100 plus questions they ask the same 4 different ways, it is a matter of actually remembering what you answered previously..then wait until you get the email that says, you have a phone interview... then be prepared for 3 more "idiot" questions... then its an interview in person... and they ask 3 of the same questions!!! Don't give up.. I didn't and finally have a job, however only seasonal, then you go through another "Idiot" test..in august.. keeping my fingers crossed for you and me to continue.. :)

scoop scoop
Apr '14

Rebecka - Inside the fence?? I'm sure. I saw the exceptionally over weight Mr Cotontail in the flesh grinning.

Ugh, thanks for the warning, GC. I have brand new tulips on their way up around the base of our tree. I can't wait to see how they look when they bloom. Any way to keep the bunnies away? Besides leaving Lucky tied up out front...

Tracy Tracy
Apr '14

Human hair keeps the bunnies away. I go to a beauty salon and ask for a couple of bags full and spread it around. I guess they smell it and stay away. I was also told when your dog is groomed spread there hair there. Worked for me but now those voles have destroyed my lawn. You could also leave some old lettuce and carrots out like my grandmother use to. They will eat that instead of her flowers so she claimed.

Christine Christine
Apr '14

I shed. Maybe that could help....

White Shoes White Shoes
Apr '14

Good thinking, White Shoes. Tomorrow I will brush Lucky's coat out by the tulips.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '14

If you need anymore "kitty kat" fur, GC...The Duke brushes a good handful every morning from Miss Kitty' ....just let me know. "Those "Pesky Wabbits!"....

joyful joyful
Apr '14

Thanks scoop. It is definitely the "idiot" test. Lol!
I have 2 pt jobs already and was looking for something to fill my open time. I'll keep looking.

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

I had a nice azalea bush in a corner of my property between 5 large weigela Wine & Roses bushes. It was the last one from my collection I bought from very expensive on-line specialty nursery many years ago. It was constantly abused by deer and I decided to replace it 2 years ago with another weigela bush. Two days ago I went to clean yard and discovered that this replacement bush was practically destroyed over the winter by deer. Only one of 6... They even didn't touch others, never did before. Jinxed spot?!

botheredbyuu,
you may have just answered your own question by saying you already have two other pt jobs. Do you have to put an availability on your application? and if so, if you already have 2 jobs does that not hinder your availability? Some of those types of retail jobs are only looking to fill a specific slot. Although they are hiring, they may not be hiring for what you put down for what you can do. If you put that you are available all the time, then I would be mad too. I have heard that from many people applying to those kind of jobs and they have limited availability, asked for more money than the place is willing to pay, etc. then wonder why they were not chosen. It may have nothing to do with the actual "idiot" test? What kind of questions do they ask anyway?

youngnfresh youngnfresh
Apr '14

I did put available on Saturdays, thinking no one likes to work on the weekend and here is someone volunteering. Guess I was wrong. Although I do know other companies that take that into consideration. Maybe it had nothing to do with the idiot test, but I guess I will never know. They ask things like do you think stealing is fine. Do you like working alone, or with a team. Then on next page they ask the same question , just in a difference format.
They should tell you the reason why they wont hire you. Your hours are not what we need, or you dont have enough experience.
Thanks for all the input. :)

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

Building inspector came to inspect my new roof. Never got on the roof. Didn't even knock on the door to see if anyone was home (two of us were home.)

Yep, nothing but the best for our tax dollars.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '14

Bothered, I agree, they should tell you. The tests may not be the reason. Unless you said you prefer working alone so you can steal. ;)

youngnfresh youngnfresh
Apr '14

I'm sure the Town's insurance company frowns upon its employees climbing on roofs. That would make the job of a building inspector a lot more risky than that of a police officer.

He did a visual inspection from the ground, right? What more could he do? What would knocking on your door have done?

ianimal ianimal
Apr '14

WELL!! If you leave some lettuce out for us, we wouldn't munch on your flowers! Preferably boxed Baby Romaine please! :p

Mr. Baci Mr. Baci
Apr '14

Insurance! Whether its car or homeowners, you pay out the butt. Then when time comes to use it, you have a huge deductible. Thats if you dont get denied. Outrageous!

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

ian - A few things could have been checked: proper flashing around chimney, spacing of shingles meets requirements for this area of the country, proper installation of vent caps, vent boots, roof deck was stable, etc.

Due the slope of the backyard, you can't even see the roof on the back without walking to the very edge of the property. At that distance, unless you had binoculars, you can't see squat.

As far as the knock on the door, I think it would be simple courtesy to announce himself and say he's about to perform an inspection. If no one was home, fair enough. There were two of us home.

If they're not going to do any of that stuff, then what is the purpose of requiring a permit and final inspection? (money grab sarcasm inserted here)

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '14

That is all it is ex. Same thing happened to us. First the town wanted us to get a permit to take down our pool. Then we needed a permit to move the deck 50 feet. We called them on the carpet about getting a permit to take down our pool. They back peddled. When the inspector came I went outside to greet him. Never got out of the car, I was standing in his way to view the deck. He handed me a paper and left. It is nothing but revenue boost for them. I do understand why it could me necessary, they wouldn't want people building very ugly houses or such. Oh wait there is already one of those in Willow Grove Park. They must have knew someone.

auntiel auntiel
Apr '14

Tell ya what Baci Ball - you leave me some tuna and I'll see what I can do about some plain old lettuce. You can keep the Attitude. ;-)

White Shoes White Shoes
Apr '14

Please do not give White Shoes anything with "attitude" written on the label, W.S. has enough already.

Thank you.

Love,
Iggy

Apr '14

Here is a dish I invented tonight. It's called "A.D.D. Chicken."

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '14

I can see you enjoy your chicken well done! LOL

Kit Kat Kit Kat
Apr '14

Did you steal my X-wife's recipe book Rebecka??

Denis Denis
Apr '14

Nothing to do with previous posts - just a vent:

Let the bs begin.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '14

That reminds me of a T shirt I saw:

"Deja Moo: When you know you've experienced this BS before"

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Apr '14

Has the BS ever stopped?

Christine Christine
Apr '14

Very true, Christine! And in this case, there was so much of it, I needed a shovel!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '14

A vent to myself - why I let BS get to me and I get sucked in - d'oh!

trekster3- trekster3-
Apr '14

@Trekster, that is key, don't get sucked in. There are some here that thrive on the negative and simply put, are know it alls about everything. I've come to ignore most of them. I read somewhere that responding to internet trolls is like a tennis game. It takes 2 players. When something get thrown your way, rather than respond, ignore it. If you don't respond, they have nothing to say back. It simply ends it for you and them (unless they have another name and proceed to argue with themselves and try to get more interest in the bullsh*T) I know some love the to play the game, I don't, it's just me.

Bessie Bessie
Apr '14

Perfectly stated Bessie!

Well said Bessie. :)

positive positive
Apr '14

Yes, well said.

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

Bessie - Do you remember the previous discussion of what "monkeysphere" is? When you say it takes two, that's because the basic internet troll has a monkeysphere of *zero*. Zero. That says it all.

My vent.....People who are scared to drive on country roads.

People drive 10 miles UNDER the speed limit!!!!!! Then also brake at every single little curve.

Nosila Nosila
Apr '14

I've found this works quite well

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '14

Ok, more ignorant people out there. Besides the ones that get in line to check out and are talking on their cell phones, here are the other ignorant ones. People throwing their cigarettes out their car windows! They hit the car behind them and like yesterday, while driving with my window down, the cigarette hit my arm. I wanted nothing more then to follow them and say something. But I didn't.
Oh and lets add another group (or 2) to the ignorance club. Drivers who put their blinker on and think that automatically allows them to pull in front out, without looking. And when someone lets you go in front of them, WAVE THANKS!! Its not that hard.

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

Is today Stupid Question Day on HL?

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '14

Rebecka, I think he/she likes to get a reaction from people...a wacky sense of humor I guess.

positive positive
Apr '14

Which is fine, of course, positive...lol... But if it IS officially Stupid Question Day, maybe I should ask a few of my own!

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '14

Rebecka - Read Bessie above about feeding trolls. ;-)

pass the salt, please? These nuts are awful...

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '14

Nope, Nope, Nope - I'm not gonna get sucked in....

trekster3- trekster3-
Apr '14

Why don't waffle house and mcdonald's agree with my stomach at the same time?

Figured I'd ask/vent since it's stupid question day?

younggen younggen
Apr '14

How about people driving in the left lane on Route 80 driving at 55mph (10 under) during dry and clear days!

IJay that is my vent every day, twice a day... Notice the plates are probably not from NJ.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '14

So true Positive ~

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '14

"Nope, Nope, Nope - I'm not gonna get sucked in...."

trekster, from the position of the last post above either you have a really dirty mind (and good timing) or I do lol

justintime justintime
Apr '14

Was just outside and heard a deep, LOUD growl coming from behind some bushes. Much louder and deeper than our big male Shepherd. Hair stood up on the back of my neck. What the h-ll was that?!

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '14

Must be an inside joke.

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

Maybe Yogi Rebecka?

My vent~ Stop popping out babies than asking for free handouts!!!

Baci's mom Baci's mom
Apr '14

Here's to the "B" in the Shop rite parking lot, who almost took off my back end while I was backing out. Next time get off your friggin phone and pay attention to what you are doing. You may think you are the most important person, but guess what, YOU ARE NOT!

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

JIT - LOL!!

My Vent - people who complain about everything that happens in this town after the fact. Every board has meetings open to the public. All it takes is to get involved and be a part of the process. Oh and almost every board or committee is made up of Volunteers! People who have already taken the time (and lots of it) to get involved.

oh and shooting the messenger peeves me too.

trekster3- trekster3-
Apr '14

now trekster does "peeves" really sound professional :)

darwin darwin
Apr '14

well, it's more professional than what I really want to say ;)

trekster3- trekster3-
Apr '14

Wow, no vents in 5 days. Everyone must be doing well. :)

I have one today. Why do so many people think that a "cleaning" job, whether its house cleaning or working for a hotel, cleaning, is a degrading occupation? Hear it all the time and its so wrong.

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

bbu- I know exactly what you mean. I could never figure that out either. It's very hard work, so you would think people would respect you for it..not look down on you. :(

positive positive
Apr '14

I don't look down on any job. I'm more likely to look down on some lazy bum without a job. Work is work. You do what you have to do.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '14

Exactly Positive and Calico. Better to clean houses and work hard to make ends meet, then do nothing. Lots of people do nothing.

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

The other day I found out that my sister, once again, has breast cancer. This just sucks....

Blackcat Blackcat
Apr '14

I'm so sorry Blackcat. Best wishes to your sister.

jrsemom jrsemom
Apr '14

Sorry to hear that Blackcat. Prayers for her and your family.

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

If my family forgets me on mothers day AGAIN, I will be officially PISSED OFF!

trekster3- trekster3-
Apr '14

And Blackcat - thoughts and prayers for your family - one of the many reasons I do Relay for Life - my family has been very fortunate, but it seems like I hear about Cancer every day - I hope there comes a day when no one ever has to hear that news.....

trekster3- trekster3-
Apr '14

Blackcat - Very sorry to hear that. Best wishes for your sister.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '14

We feel at least she can check breast cancer off her list of stuff she'll never get again. Though the area is very minimal, she is having a mastectomy rather than lumpectomy and radiation. Sadly, she lost her husband a few years back to a sudden heart attack and doesn't have him by her side this round. My niece will be with her for her surgeries in June.

Blackcat Blackcat
Apr '14

Next person that comes to my yard sale while smoking I am going to punch.

Darwin Darwin
Apr '14

Put up a sign Darwin.

People flying up E. Baldwin and surrounding streets, SLOW THE HELL DOWN.

botheredbyuu botheredbyuu
Apr '14

Stereotyping and prejudice....especially here...can't stand it

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '14

So now people can't smoke walking down the street? Sigh....

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '14

No people can't smoke when their on my driveway in front of my kids. My property my rules.

Darwin Darwin
Apr '14

Sorry Darwin, I didn't realize it was in your driveway. I assumed they were on the sidewalk.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '14

Some old hag came to my garage sale and asked if I was part of the Long Valley town wide garage sale. When I said I wasn't, because I thought the $20 fee was ridiculous and I wasn't even selling that much stuff, she yelled (while other customers, including children were there) "You are taking advantage of people!" and walked off. If you're out there, lady, YOU are a disgrace.

Lngvly22 Lngvly22
Apr '14

I think Darwin needs a big "No Smoking" in front of his yardsale. Hopefully this will keep the smokers away from his house and all will be good.

Bessie Bessie
Apr '14

For the record Bessie I am a smoker that has never smoked in front of my kids nor have they ever seen me smoke. I think it is disgusting to smoke in presence of children not to mention rude to come to someone's house while smoking. vent over

Darwin Darwin
Apr '14

I am a smoker too (not proud of it), but I'm proud that I'm a very considerate smoker and wouldn't even think about smoking near other people. It's a shame Darwin that you would need to put up a sign when people should have enough common sense not to smoke near your family.

positive positive
Apr '14

Yesterday in the arms of Norman Reedus. Today cleaning my cats' litter boxes. Oh the difference a day makes! Loooool!

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Apr '14

Omg can't go to Hess any more. The woman will not stop talking. Even BEFORE she starts the gas pumping she is talking for five minutes.

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '14

@Rebecka- Hopefully that woman doesn't use this site, or there might be an "unfortunate accident" next time you go to Hess LOL...

Lngvly22 Lngvly22
Apr '14

Unfortunately not everyone has common sense and when you're having an open sale, outside, people don't consider that the same as going in your house. Sorry if I offended you Darwin, not my intention. I know a lot of adults that would be just as offended if you smoked in front of them. Just thought a no smoking sign would enforce no smoking in your space.

Bessie Bessie
Apr '14

@rebecka, I usually go in the evenings and must miss her.

Bessie Bessie
Apr '14

Bessie, I know that you were just trying to be helpful and you made a good suggestion. Unfortunately, there is a need for signs to be put up up in many places, for example: pick up after your dog, please take your trash when leaving, no loitering, no alcohol, etc.

You would think people would not need to be reminded of using common sense, consideration and courtesy, but unfortunately some people do. Pretty sad......

positive positive
Apr '14

So if there is a sign, people won't do it? Haha.

In Philadelphia two weeks ago, I was constantly standing in someone's second hand cigarette smoke, right under the signs that said no smoking.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '14

I see your point Tracy..for some people even signs (restrictions) do not even matter.

positive positive
Apr '14

Did anyone sell to a "hoarder"... I bet you did LOL!

"Signs, signs, everywhere a sign"

"And the sign said, "Everybody welcome. Come in, kneel down and pray"
But when they passed around the plate at the end of it all, I didn't have a
penny to pay

"So I got me a pen and a paper and I made up my own little sign
I said, "Thank you, Lord, for thinkin' 'bout me. I'm alive and doin' fine."

Apr '14

LOL ijaydid they have a big white truck packed to the brim? , i was hoping that family had a store. The brought mine entire box of CDs without even looking thru them. got another giant box of stuff with my neighbors. Heck i don't think they left a yard sale with out buying something from them.

darwin darwin
Apr '14

Just memories from helping a relative with a garage sale about 5 years ago outside of this area... One lady in particular I remember. I helped her move her purchase to her car which was stuffed with a lot of stuff purchased that day. She said "My husband is going to kill me..." Aaaah living with a hoarder must be tough...

ijay, my ex-husband may not have been classified a hoarder but he was definitely working on it! Every closet, drawer, or available space was completely stuffed with everything from papers ,figurines, little artifacts he would find, seeds he would save , (but never plant) old items like showerheads that had since been replaced etc... He was always bringing something home or saving things because he MAY need it someday. He would also take anything people were giving away because he said "Oh I could sell this ~ which he never attempted and it would just get added to the junk." It drove me crazy and when he left and took it all with him seriously it was a like this huge cleansing experience for me lol!!! It feels so good to actually open a drawer/cabinet and see only what's needed in there.

JRT - I delt with someone that would not throw things away at all. At least he did not bring a lot of extra junk in the house. But if something broke or was no longer of use, he would not allow it to be thrown away.

Unfortunately when he left, he only took what was of use to him and left the rest for me to go through and dispose. Still working through the junk!. So wish he would have taken it all.

Coralie Coralie
May '14

Coralie, I should correct myself my ex took 85%, but he also left me with stuff that I have had to dispose of. It hurts a little that I have to pay out of my pocket to do this, but just having him gone is worth it!!! The amount he left was no comparison to what was here when he lived here so it still felt good. I have one more load and then I will be done and I can't wait:)

P.s. For a minute there I thought we may have been married to the same man!

There is a big chunk of truck tire on the side of the Rt 80 west off ramp at exit 19. It's been there more than a week. I wonder if it will ever be cleaned up.

That's what that was!!!!!!! It was a dark and rainy drive and I had not been on 80 in a bit. Gave me a jolt fer sure.

May '14

One of our cats won a diamond-encrusted watch in a live online auction this morning. As his bid was in the high six-figures, it's really not surprising he won. He seems pleased with himself, and appears blissfully unaware that he is on the verge of being listed on Petfinder.

Anyone care to guess as to whether the German-based live auction house will have pity on us when we tell them our cat placed the winning bid?

Rebecka Rebecka
May '14

I think the cat wanted it for a collar - picture please - lol

5catmom 5catmom
May '14

Possibly, 5catmom, but how Bubba plans to pay for his new 700 Euro collar is a mystery to all.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '14

Is it normal practice to enter a store through the exit 10 minutes after closing time? I know you are special, your situation is special, everything about you and your life is special, but I think it is rude. Am I wrong? Have the rules changed?

May '14

At closing time, the doors should get locked. So how did they get in, if the store was closed?

May '14

The entrance door is locked, but the exit door is still open to let customers who are finishing up (entered store prior to close) and employees out. People try to come in the exit.

May '14

Cashiers who have a bad attitude at 8:00 am. If you are going to do this type of job at least slap a fake smile on your face and say hello to the person who checking out.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
May '14

uh - cashiers who are soooo slow you'd think every day was their first day on the job - particularly at shop-rite where the lines are often long and the carts loaded- a close second to customers who first start digging through coupons after most of their stuff is bagged ....waaaaa -

5catmom 5catmom
May '14

This past weekend I was walking behind someone who was texting and walking down the stairs (we were in a crowded auditorium) Ugh! then as i was leaving - I saw someone else nearly hit by a car as she was walking and txting -

Has common sense gone by the way side?

htownnewbie htownnewbie
May '14

It can help thin the herd.

May '14

This a picture of what I'm pretty sure is trash collected along Columbia Trail, Mt. Olive area off Bartley. I filled a whole poop bag with food wrappers and broken glass, etc last week also:( who the heck drags a toilet down a trail to dump it?!?!

Blackcat Blackcat
May '14

Someone who doesnt want to pay to have it disposed of. Terrible! I wish when the state has the DOC inmates collecting trash on side of highways, they take the bags with them. I'm told the state wants it left there a few days, so people traveling the highways can see how much trash is actually out there. Looks worse just bags of garbage laying along the roads.

May '14

Really not a fan of the extra payment the HOA is requesting because they went over budget on snow removal. So did I...buying a snow blower and making several trips to the physical therapist to take care of my back after shoveling.

CR37 - Sign me up for that vent particularly since there's no common land I know that needs snow removal, the budget is entirely for the two condo buildings, and there's no way to vote on that decision since the HOA hasn't had a quorum in years.

I am so sick of people completely disregarding the RED light when making a right turn from Mountain Ave to Rt. 57. I mean, honestly, it is only red for about 10 seconds to allow the left turners from Schooley's, but it does turn red...and people just blow through it without even thinking about slowing down or stopping. It's really ridiculous. Then to top it off...they get bent out of shape if someone making the left turn, with the right of way, honks at them. This is only going to get worse when they close Newburgh.

Tracy Tracy
May '14

Tracy, that is why I am a fan of the red light cameras. They are getting such a bad rap. Would love to see one there!

auntiel auntiel
May '14

auntiel, I wouldn't go that far. I'm perfectly fine with people making a right on red, but they need to STOP first and yield to the traffic that has the right of way.

Tracy Tracy
May '14

Tracy, I am right there with you. In addition, when you do stop for the red light on Mountain Avenue - you get honked at and are at risk for being rear-ended.

Does not stop me, though... if the light is red, I will stop, first.

Coralie Coralie
May '14

This has been a terrible month for me, which has consisted of two very tragic unexpected deaths, a terminally ill relative and a certain person constantly encroaching on my personal space.

I'm very thankful for this forum...it gives me a break from my problems for a while, keeps me sane..I think.

positive positive
May '14

@ Positive I'm sorry that you are going through so much and had such a rough month.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
May '14

Thank you JrzyGirl88- Sometimes everything is thrown at you at once..it will get better it always does. :)

positive positive
May '14

Inconsiderate neighbors, cutting lawn and trimming trees at 7am. Have some consideration for others. SMH!

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
May '14

Ditto, botheredbyu...but we have grown men that have full loud conversations in the parking lot before 6am when we have our bedroom windows open.

Tracy Tracy
May '14

Oh Tracy, us too!! And in a different language.

May '14

Enjoy the diversity botheredbyu. Maybe you can learn a new language.Better yet invite them in for a cup of coffee and some eggs.

jerseycash5
May '14

Jc5-been living next to them for 13 yrs. Been there, done that. No issues, just have some respect for others.

Now for my new vent. Driving down street in LV and in the road were 3 squirrels. They werent moving out of the way, so I stopped and 2 ran onto someones lawn, but the 3rd one was in the other travel lane. This dumb b comes flying up the road, never slowed down and took out the squirrel. This is when I wish vigilante justice was legal. I wanted nothing more then to turn and follow her and punch her in the face. I leaned on my horn, but she kept going. She saw the squirrels, just like I did. If she wasn't flying she could have stopped for it. I stopped to help it but it was dead, in the grass. Just makes you want to scream. People are so stupid.

May '14

Yesterday sitting in morning traffic in Hackettstown infront of Leo's Lunch I was rear ended. The slightest nudge I didn't even know I got hit at first. It felt like I stalled the car but it was still running. Look in my rear view to see the grill of the SUV behind me taking up the entire thing. Rip the e-brake get out in the middle of the street and look at my rear bumper then look at the guy driving. He's got a bib the size of a bath towel tucked into his dress shirt and is just blankly staring at me. Rolls down his window and asks if he hit me. I said yes rather sarcastically and he apologizes and just stares at me. Then explains his foot slipped off the brake. And another long pause. Tell him to pull over so I can look at the damage and he does. Just a few scratches most of which will buff out but some will remain. No big deal to me but the fact he acted like he it wasn't a big deal was annoying. The car I was driving at the time isn't a gem but is better than most. He was wearing the bib so he could eat his breakfast in the car.

Today, sitting infront of dad and lads i'm first in line at the light to head into from independence. Hackettstown has someone pulled over leaving town infront of dad and lads. Silver toyota highlander pulls up next to me as most people usually do to turn onto grand ave. Something didn't seem right so I hesitated a second as the light turned and sure as shit the guy cuts me off to head down mainstreet, i honk look at the cop and point at the car and nothing so I drive off. Now i'm behind the guy infront of Hess and there is anoth H-town cop talking to someone on the side of the rode. Doesn't appear to be a traffic stop so I call him over and quickly explain the guy illegally passed me .He goes to stop the highlander but the guy takes off as the light turns at the same time. Admittedly I'm upset as I have never been so lucky as the guy yesterday and this guy today. So up Budd lake we go and watch as the guy nearly runs two people off the rode. Decided it was time to just let it go and I passed him up and continued on my way as we got to Johnson dodge when I see he is pulling in the A&P parking lot. What could have been so dam important he nearly wrecked two people (not exaggerating) that was in that little mall. So I pull in as well and low and behold he makes a b-line for the liquor store. I let him have a few choice words as he walked to the store. Didn't seem to phase him. Probably should have called the cops but with my luck he wouldn't have been drunk yet and it would be my word against his. Can't wait for traffic adventures tomorrow. Doesn't anyone actually look at the road anymore when driving?

younggen younggen
May '14

younggen, they look at the road, but generally speaking, it's all about them. It doesn't matter what is going on around them, as long as they're doing what they want to do.

Yesterday I was on 206 in Flanders and a woman stopped dead in the middle of the road to allow a car on the other side to make a left turn in front of her. Then on the way home, I saw a 1,000 year old man trying to make the left turn from 206 south at the intersection by Weis where it's illegal to do so. Every day is an adventure on the road. Say your prayers before you get in the car and again at night when you make it home in one piece.

Tracy Tracy
May '14

My parents bought an RV a few years ago and travel all around the country. They do big detours to avoid driving through our State -- the only one they are nearly afraid of driving in. People are just so inconsiderate, distracted, aggressive, fast and just plain bad drivers it's not even funny. I've lived in other countries, other States, and other towns in NJ. New Jersey, and Hackettstown *in particular* has the worst drivers of anywhere I've lived.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '14

My vent for the day: I've had to cut my nails REALLY short to better strike the keys on the piano. They've never been this short.

I feel like the woman in the Seinfeld Man Hands episode.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '14

Please use this thread from now on:

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/608576

May '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.