Bakery in Washington NJ by NJDMV

Just want to say i stopped in the Bakery in the strip mall by DMV and it was really really good.......... brought cupcakes...... the red velvet one was amazing....... the Napoleons were really good reminded me of the ones i would get in Mnahattan years ago.......My youngest loved the croissants...... and I had an apple turnover last nite that was really good.............. just wanted to share............ cause there arent that many bakeries around here.............. but I cant for the life of me remember the name of the bakery........

dismom dismom
Oct '13

I didn't know there was a bakery in that strip mall!
When did it open?

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Oct '13

I had no idea either, until someone posted it in this thread a couple days ago. It's called Sweet Empire.

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/317534

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '13

It's been open since early summer. It is really good. They have homemade Gelato!

Will have to try them out. We used to go to Sicilia; haven't tried the new one that took over the place yet.

emaxxman emaxxman
Oct '13

So strange that it's been open that long. I've gone to that plaza a couple times in the last 4 months or so and never noticed a bakery.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '13

sweet empire is the name of it:) Haven't been in yet either, but looking forward to checking it out. I just hope it makes it in that mall, a lot of those stores don't seen to have luck there

kelleo22 kelleo22
Oct '13

For those on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/sweetempiredesserts

LV Mom
Oct '13

wow! I need to stop by..

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Oct '13

How did I miss this ! Its on the to go list.

jerseycash5
Oct '13

Do they use real cream cheese for the icing on the red velvet cupcakes? I am always so dissapointed when they use buttercream instead.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Oct '13

yes real cream cheese frosting on the red velvet cupcakes....

dismom dismom
Oct '13

and they had said they had been open for 3 months

dismom dismom
Oct '13

I had a carrot cake cupcake, and it was very good. Fed 4 people actually. I was glad they had cupcakes without sprinkles. (Worthless, annoying things) I also bought some cookies. I think they were $9.99/lb. Taste-wise, you could do as well as Shoprite baked cookies on those. Not impressive. I would like to try the breakfast paninis.

There is also a new cupcake place on Broad St. I haven't tried it. Plus a donut place on Main (east Washington Ave). Maybe Christine has been????

I saw the Donut Factory as I drove thru Washington. Has anyone tried it yet?

Baci's mom Baci's mom
Oct '13

Stopped at the Donut Factory today:) Great donuts and very nice young man that worked the counter. Of course I didn't see the cream filled ones in the cold case until I was leaving. I'm sure ill be ba k. Actually made a special trip there after stopping at Comcast to pay my bill;) Good luck to them !

Blackcat Blackcat
Nov '13

I've stopped by twice to the Donut Factory. Owned by a man from Hackettstown who calls himself Tommy Donut. Very nice friendly people. Everyone is so accomodating and personable.Makes you want to keep coming back! Tommy's specialties are Fry Babies which are italian pastries filled with your choice of whipped cream, chocolate mousse or vanilla custard (I think). The donuts are wonderful. The donuts that I can remember (I bought an assortment of 2 or 3 dozen for various friend's) are: blueberry (Mmmmm), coconut, apple cider, apple fritter, glazed, chocolate glazed, regular glazed, raspberry filled, boston creme and a New England donut. There are more, but can't remember. They are opened at 5am and close at 6 pm. They sell Arabica coffee which is a decent coffee. (hard to find a good bold coffee these days!) Enjoy...it's worth a trip in.

just the facts maam just the facts maam
Nov '13

Had a chocolate covered in coconut:) mmmm:) My 6 yr old was enjoying a pumpkin one until he stepped away and the dog grabbed it:( will definitely be heading back:)

Blackcat Blackcat
Nov '13

I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread. I'm drooling just reading about this new donut place. Sounds like heaven!

Dear lord the chocolate covered chocolate donut at the donut factory might as well be crack. It's so good. I'll be making that place a regular stop.

btownguy btownguy
Nov '13

tried this bakery this weekend. wife got red velvet and chocolate cupcakes. i had a small cheesecake and eclair. everything was stale like it had been in the case for a week. will not be going back.

younggen
Nov '13

Got an assortment of cookies for a family party this past weekend. Tastes just like the Italian ones I'd have in the city years ago. My daughter got a danish and eclair, my son got a donut and said they were good. My husband had a cup of coffee and a fresh roll that the baker just brought out. Everything looked and smelled amazing. It's nice to finally see a real bakery in the area.

Claire Claire
Nov '13

2 different bakery's....Tommy Donut who is the owner of the Donut Shop on Main St. Washington directly across from the crosswalks is the owner of the place and makes homemade donuts/beignets/fry babies, etc... I don't believe that he sells rolls.
Sweet Empire is by the DMV. They MAY have rolls there. I believe that they do sell breakfast sandwiches.More of a deli. NIce people who are very friendly and accomodating. I did NOT try a cupcake but did see them in the case and they were nicely decorated. They told me that they "have a handle on the cupcakes" (as far as being fresh). NOt sure what that means but I trust them. Nice people. They sell an assortment of homemade cookies by the dozen. Probably 20 different types. Most are $9.99 and $7.99 per pound. I bought a lb for a Thanksgiving treat for lovely clients of mine for when they got back from vacation. They enjoyed them. I had an apple square while there. The apples squirted in my mouth. It was an outrageous experience and I will drive down today for another :) Lace cookies were good too. There was a steady flow of people coming in and out.They now sell POLISH FOOD!!! Take out and eat in for luncheon specials. $7.99 (I think) for a golumpka (stuffed cabbage) and 3 pierogi. Just delicious. I had 2 golumpka and 4 pierogi and it was just around $10. The golumpka was just packed with meat and rice and the pierogi was made with farmers cheese. Different kinds though with the sour kraut Im sure. Try it out. It's worth the trip down from Hackettstown. Just the facts...

just the facts maam just the facts maam
Dec '13

I recently tried this bakery and was impressed! The bread was delicious! I also bought the perogies and halupkis (stuffed cabbage). The cupcakes were fresh. Everything was very good and the prices were reasonable. I wiill definitely be going back for more!

IrishRN IrishRN
Dec '13

this place looks dangerous!!

pmnsk pmnsk
Dec '13

I can't wait to try it...I love Polish food. :)

positive positive
Dec '13

pmnsk - What's so dangerous?

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '13

I tryed it was not impressed at all. Maybe because I did not grown up here. I got the brownies if you call them that were flat and over priced for what you got.The cookies were a yellow color so they are not made there and they were stale. Bakerys who make there cookies are not yellow in color. I know I use to work in a bakery in kearney so I know they are not to be yellow . and I reliized that being I grew up here you guys that live up here think everything is good. You need to advantager out of warren county and try real food from newark iron bound section and other bakerys and you will know what good food taste like.

beetlejuice beetlejuice
Dec '13

The place is named Sweet Empire. We stopped by last weekend.

Pierogies- excellent, apple cake, amazing and a very big piece that we shared, Cupcakes also great, my son had a giant one and I stole a taste. Only disappointment was the cookies that we brought home, they tasted a bit off, and yes, they were yellow.

hktownie hktownie
Dec '13

beetlejuice--if Newark Iron Bound and Kearney are so great what are you doing in Warren County?

outsider outsider
Dec '13

outsider I said the food is better down there.

beetlejuice beetlejuice
Dec '13

Hi Everyone
Thanks for all of the reviews and feedback. We do in fact make all of our cookies from scratch and on site. If anyone ever has any questions or comments, feel free to give our store a call (908)689-0980.
Thanks,
Kat

Katofsweetempire Katofsweetempire
Dec '13

We like it. Great rye bread too

dangerous meaning hard to resist!!!

pmnsk pmnsk
Dec '13

beetle juice...... i grew up in Manhattan........and teenage years and adult years in Bergen County............ I am us to real good bakeries..... and thats why I was sooo impressed with this one and started the thread...............

dismom dismom
Dec '13

Kind of funny Washington can support a Bakery & Donut Shop and Hackettstown has neither.

We have been back twice for the cookies

Certainly not a place I need to go to..but I NEED to go there with all the great reviews it's receiving.

Bessie Bessie
Dec '13

"Hackettstown has neither."

But Hackettstown has two bakeries, one donut shop, and a biscotti bakery.

Harper's Bagels has delicious Christmas cookies.

Joyce Joyce
Dec '13

Gc where is the Hackettstown donut shop?

Its called Dunkin Donuts.

kb2755 kb2755
Dec '13

Speaking of Harper's, they have the best birthday cakes. We get our birthday cakes every year from them.....fresh bananas and strawberries in a vanilla custard filling with whipped cream icing.

positive positive
Dec '13

Saying dunkin donuts is a donut shop is like saying Pizza Hut is the same as a family pizza place. Both have there place but far from the same

just picked up some cookies and pastries this morning. So far the sampling has been great. Looking forward to a 'tea''arty for the premiere of Downton Abbey tonight.

denise denise
Jan '14

Well, we just had some of their fresh perogies and boy were they good. To be fair, this was the first time I ever had fresh perogies. Mrs. T's were the norm for us until now. The dough was light and after a quick fry in a pan, had a nice crispy but flaky texture to them. We'll have to get some more as well as try some of the different flavors; just the standard potato and onion this time.

Regarding the pastries, they weren't bad but, from what I remember, Sicilia was better.
I am glad we have more options now though. That's always good for everyone. I'll have to stop by the new bread store where Sicilia was too.

Finally, I want to say that the owners of Sweet Empire were really, really nice. I had a nice conversation with the husband; very nice gentlemen. I wish them nothing but success and hope they are around for a long, long time.

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '14

Ah, biscottis, TY HL for that one. Once the sun comes out, don't they have outside tables too?

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Mar '14

great stuff !
pierogi super ! best bagel ever,thanks
wish I had bakery like that in my area ( sydney - australia )

Marian Sambora Marian Sambora
Aug '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.