Found Chihuahua

Found Chihuahua

FOUND CHIHUAHUA. Need your HELP! Three tiny dogs found (literally!) in the middle of Route 46/ Great Meadows/Liberty Twp (just down from Sts. Peter & Paul) this morning around 4:30 a.m. A wonderful passerby stopped worrying they would be hit. Rang my doorbell at 4:30 am this morning! I didn't know if I should believe him or not but he must have taken the two he could get his hands on. The third dog ran from him because he was scared. He's now on my back porch but I am unable to keep him. He's cream colored, maybe 4 pounds or so. If anyone knows someone who lost a chihuahua or would be interested in giving him a home, please give me a call on my cell (908) 310-0496.

Mary Kay Vivo Mary Kay Vivo
Sep '12

Have you called animal control?

Someone
Sep '12

Yes, I did. He was very nice but is away for the weekend. He instructed me to take him to the pound which I will do as a last resort. Thanks for responding, appreciate it.

Mary Kay Mary Kay
Sep '12

What's the status

S@hm
Sep '12

still have him at my house. no one has come forward to claim him. he's a sweetheart.

Mary Kay Mary Kay
Sep '12

Someone must be looking for 3 tiny dogs. What did the man do with the other 2 dogs? Please update!

Firefly Firefly
Sep '12

oh don't take him to the pound, let me know what happens, little dogs don't like it there

idlechatter idlechatter
Sep '12

Oh goodness I would take him in a heartbeat if I didn't already live in Noah's Ark. Poor little thing! Someone surely could house him until his owners are found?

You might swing by any vet or shelter Mary (assuming you can find one open and you have the time) - they all have microchip readers. Never know... maybe he's got some ID between his tiny shoulder blades.

I am praying these little guys find their home, and they are reunited not only with their owners but also each other. They're probably all best of friends.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '12

the 3 dogs should have been kept together. Why did the guy grab 2 and leave?? Hard to tell what is going to happen to the other 2 and please don't give away a dog that is not yours. He may belong to someone. Maybe you could call Gary and Betty, 908-689-6657, they also do animal control and they may be able to help you. They are very helpful and nice people.

4paws 4paws
Sep '12

Call happy tails on rt. 46. Tim is the owner and animal control officer for independence township

honey badger honey badger
Sep '12

I'm going to hold on to him for the weekend. I'm hoping I can find someone to either foster him or take him in. The man who picked up the two dogs is a hero... he put himself in danger to rescue them. I'm sure he tried to get all three but the third was scared and ran. .. Rt 46 is a very busy road. I did call Betty/Gary & they were super nice. They gave me the name of the animal control officer in my area who I have been in touch with. The dog would be a wonderful pet for an older person. Just wants to be held and cuddled. If you could help me spread the word I would appreciate it. You can reach me through the forum or my cell. Thank you all for your concern.

Mary Kay Mary Kay
Sep '12

The guy didn't "take two and run". It seems that he caught two but was unable to catch the third one which ended up at the OP's house. If he had bad intentions he certainly wouldn't ring someone's doorbell at 4:30 in the morning regarding these dogs. He's probably also attempting to locate the owner, but not everyone knows of the forum...

I hope all 3 dogs and their owner are reunited soon!

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Sep '12

I would take him but i am working tomorrow ( Sunday ) at Hackettstoen Trading Post.
12 to 5 I have 4 already another wont hurt.
I am a animal lover. Please dont take him to the pound if they cant find a home they will put him down.
I will try to call you but here is my cell 973-527-5187 my name is Sherri
Thank you.
Maybe we can make arrangement to meet.

sherri sherri
Sep '12

Do u still have this dog? I would like to meet with u today if u do. I would love to take him unless someone comes forward about him. Please call me at 908 752 5177 my name is alisha.

awebb awebb
Sep '12

Slow down people...it's only been a day!

Firefly Firefly
Sep '12

I say put a sign and pic up at ShopRite. Works great.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Sep '12

Alisha, there is a legal period that found animals must be held (which I believe is 7 days) and reported to the local animal control so that their owners have a chance to reclaim them. If they are not reclaimed, it is only then that they are available for adoption through animal control (even if they were being fostered). The rightful owner needs to have a chance to reclaim his or her dogs.

Someone
Sep '12

poor dogs. I was just up looking for a Chihuahua at the 11th hour rescue at Petsmart. Maybe inform the Petsmart just in case the owner calls them.

Mary Kay- I just emailed you. I wanted to see if you would like me to take him to the vet to see if he has a chip in him.

I would also put a sign up at Nykuns

nosila nosila
Sep '12

I really hope these dogs weren't dumped. Seems weird that no one has come looking for their 3 lost dogs. How would someone not have noticed that 3 of their dogs wandered off? Poor little babies, thank goodness for you two kind souls for saving/looking after them.

JessM. JessM.
Sep '12

As far as I know the Pound does not put dogs "down" - but it is not a nice place for any dog or cat and especially for little dogs such as these. Hopefully they will find a home - sounds like they were dropped off. Thanks to all for helping them.

Birdy
Sep '12

Just heard this announced on WRNJ so obviously the dog is still in Mary Kay's care. Too bad she did not get the man's name who rescued the other two dogs or how to get in touch with him.

joyful joyful
Sep '12

This sounds all too fishy for me. I can understand one dog getting loose but all three? I would guess that at that time of night they were dumped on the side of the rode.

I would be very interested in fostering him. You can email me directly if you are still looking for a foster home. I live in town and can provide references. I don't have any dogs but do have cats.
Also, I would screen the person you choose to foster or adopt this dog. You don't want a breeder to take the dog, someone with an animal cruelty record or someone that is just unfit. I know that would be hard to do but perhaps you could visit the home and also get references. If they had pets or have pets you could also call the vet to get references on them. Thanks!

Just wanted to update.... I turned the dog over to someone who showed great interest in fostering/adopting him. It was hard to let him go (amazing how quickly you can fall in love!) but my current situation prohibited me from keeping him. She seemed caring, previously owned a chihuahua, and worked for a groomer in the past. I also updated the Animal Control Officer and gave him my contact info as well as the person who took the dog, in the unlikely event someone comes forward to claim him. I did not notify WRNJ... so possibly it was the man who stopped and rescued the other two. As hard as it is to believe, I think this was a case of abandonment and the dogs were dumped at the bottom of my driveway. BIG THANKS to everyone who called, texted, & emailed with support, suggestions, and offers to foster.

Mary Kay Mary Kay
Sep '12

Did the other dog happen to be a choc lab?

S@hm
Sep '12

I believe someone did abandon the dogs as I live right by you and am now the owner of a wonderful cat that was obviously once well loved just a short time ago. I notified our AC guy, put up a sign at Nykuns as well. Noone came forward. Their throwaway is the sweetest cat! I would never give him up. He appeared just about 5-6 days before the dogs.

irishgirl irishgirl
Sep '12

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.