Accident on Willow Grove

A state police vehicle hit a bicyclist on Willow Grove and Brook Hollow. 2-5-24 @0605

I hope the person is OK. Dark at this hour to be on a bike. Hopefully the bicycle had the proper lighting.

Patient is being flown out. LZ at hospital.

CPR in progress. CSF notified. Extended roadway closure expected.

More than likely someone going to a job. I've seen these folks before, no lights, no reflectors of any kind. Cyclists that do it for exercise are better equipped. Hopefully the person can recover fully.

08:30 - 09:15 am. Tried to get they but Willie Grove was closed between the hospital and the new Advanced Cardiolofy building. The cop gave me directions around it but another empty cop car was blocking the alternate route.

Local Gal Local Gal
Feb '24

Yes, I tried to go out that way this morning, too. I am so sorry that happened and hope the cyclist is okay - it sounds like an absolutely horrific scene. Praying for the best outcome!

subaru subaru
Feb '24

I just read the road is open now

Local Gal Local Gal
Feb '24

I was told the person died.

Magpie
Feb '24

The Attorney General is investigating the fatal accident which occurred at 6:00 am on Willow Grove. It was an unmarked police SUV and a bicyclist.

The cyclist’s name hasn’t been released and there’s no additional info at this time

Local Gal Local Gal
Feb '24

More info here

https://dailyvoice.com/new-jersey/warren-hunterdon/update-ags-office-reviews-death-of-cyclist-hit-by-unmarked-state-police-suv-in-northwest-nj/

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Feb '24

Should be easy enough- look at the dash cam footage.

Josh I have a feeling that the dash cam was malfunctioning that day.

....yea....

Or whatever happened...'qualified immunity'....

Probably on his cell phone.

I’ve seen dozens of cops in the past 10 years speeding at 30+ mph over the limit without and lights or sirens. Seems like it’s becoming more and more frequent. The dash came needs to be released NOW

Consigliere
Feb '24

Maybe not jumping to conclusions either way right now would be appropriate. Someone died, so let's keep that in mind with their families and loved ones who could be looking at this.

DogDayAfternoon
Feb '24

The only family that would be offended by our conversation would be the cop's.

And hey- if there is nothing to hide.. there is nothing to fear, right?

Josh, it doesn't make it right to speculate, though. Either way, it should just be a time of feeling sorry for the family losing a loved one, no matter who was at fault if it anyone was at fault.

DogDayAfternoon
Feb '24

I heard the radio as it happened. The initial report to the staff sergeant said the guy was in the middle of the road. The badge number was one of the newer female officers. Sounded pretty traumatized by the event.

We don't know what happened yet. With the number of bicyclists who ride on the wrong side of the road or on the sidewalk and who run stop signs and red lights, I am not going to try to assess blame now.

rbilly rbilly
Feb '24

Possible victims name Raul Diaz, approximately 59 years old of the Hackettstown area.....RIP. State is really taking their good ol' time with this!!

"Possible victim" - not 100% sure or ?
Also, you have no idea what the state is doing, who they are questioning, etc, so why speculate? It does take time to investigate things.

DogDayAfternoon
Feb '24

Sadly it is Raul. He's an acquaintance a friend of mine. As far as the accident investigation, that of course will be conducted as the standard course of action.

Sadly it's not bicycle friendly on the streets in H'town or anywhere else nearby . I shake my head when I see the bike pictures and arrows on the east side of town on route 46 . Just ride right down the right side of the highway - it's not like cars drive there too ! I really don't blame bikers for using the sidewalks as long as it's done in a responsible manner .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Feb '24

Greg, sorry for your loss of your friend. May we all be respectful and remorseful to all those involved in this very sad event. And while driving be mindful of all other life. Pets, kids, walkers, bikers, motorcyclists, runners…. And the list could go on and on! Be Respectful!

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Feb '24

Thank you Liberty Thinker. However I just proofread my post above. I should have stated 'He's an acquaintance of a friend of mine." I only met him once or twice in passing. A shame for sure.

Raul Diaz was a very nice man. I worked with him at Hackettstown Community Hospital in the mid 90's to mid 2000's. He worked nights for many years. He had a great sense of humor and was extremely helpful. I had not seen him in a while, but we all need to be more careful on the roads!

mamadone mamadone
Feb '24

What could be taking the NJ Attorney General so long to officially release the name of the decedent, and of the New Jersey State Police trooper driving?

It's been a week, https://wpadmin-prd.njoag.gov/attorney-generals-office-investigating-fatal-crash-in-hackettstown-n-j/

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Feb '24

Regarding dash cam video as mentioned above any individual or organization can request release after initial investigation is complete (about 20 days); Section E, step 5:
https://adobeacrobat.app.link/Mhhs4GmNsxb

The AG can delay release for reasons cited.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Feb '24

The names of both were released today.

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '24

https://www.nj.com/warren/2024/02/investigators-id-bicyclist-fatally-struck-by-new-jersey-state-police-suv.html

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Feb '24

Still no updates huhhhh.,.....

And another week goes by with no updates......

HL, they are probably waiting for toxicology and autopsy reports and then all evidence presented to the prosecutor’s office to see if any criminal charges are warranted. Nothing out of the ordinary. You can always call the NJ State to see when the police report will be ready, so you can submit an official request for a copy.

JustHaveSomePatience JustHaveSomePatience
Mar '24

47 days later and still nothing........

If it's imperative for folks to have the facts, this would be a way to garner information if anything is available at this point.

https://nj.gov/opra/

Still nothing.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Apr '24

The state’s silence speaks volumes.

Consigliere
Apr '24

It's been a little over two months, probably just the process.

Here's the contact for updates: Dan Prochilo
OAGpress@njoag.gov

He's the press contact for the AG on this case.

babbit babbit
Apr '24

If by "the process" you're referring to the particular process the state will use to investigate one of its own, sure. If some random citizen driving a motor vehicle ran over and killed a trooper, the full investigation would have been over in a few days and the motorist's crime (if a crime was found) adjudicated.

Consigliere
Apr '24

Story is being buried. No answers from Mr. Prochilo OAGpress@njoag.gov

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
June 10th

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Accident on Willow Grove
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.