M&M Mars in the News

Iconic chocolate brand linked to child labor.....

https://nypost.com/2023/11/30/business/mars-maker-of-mampms-and-snickers-uses-cocoa-harvested-by-5-year-old-kids/

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '23

Relevant-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwHMDjc7qJ8

Wow, but I'm not surprised. Disgusted and infuriated, but not surprised.

Crank up the rationalizations for unadulterated greed folks. Always makes me wonder what we "don't" know about that's going on.

only one truth only one truth
Dec '23

This has been known for years and they are trying to correct the issue… to put a spin on child labor… unless you make your own cloths more then likely something you own has child labor someplace in the manufacturing process.

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Dec '23

Clothes...sneakers...chocolate...possibly coffee and tea in some areas...blood diamonds...

In other news, water is wet.

SmokeyJoe SmokeyJoe
Dec '23

Heck child labor is used here in the States on Family Farms to this day! I started driving a tractor when I was 7 and earlier than that for feeding the cows and other animals.
This whole thing is some "News" channel trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Mr 4Paws Mr 4Paws
Dec '23

What about the child labor that was discovered at meat process plant last year. Kids as young as 8 years old mopping the floors. I believe Mars is a great privately owned company that has been aware of the issue with child labour but those changes need to occur in those countries…. But if we have child labour issues in this country how can we enforce a law we can’t enforce on our self.

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Dec '23

"Heck child labor is used here in the States on Family Farms to this day! I started driving a tractor when I was 7 and earlier than that for feeding the cows and other animals.
This whole thing is some "News" channel trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill".

@Mr 4Paws

You must have majored in false equivalencies in college.

Dec '23

@Liberty Thinker

How are they a "great privately owned business" if they have been utilizing child labor for years???

Maybe they aren't as "great" as you think. Maybe they are just another insatiably greedy privately owned company that's only concerned about their bottom line, and they don't actually care about how they arrive at it.

Dec '23

I like chocolate.

“Forget about it Jake, it’s Africa.”

If you give up chocolate, two countries die. They have no money. Follow the money.

There are like five traders and ten companies mostly involved. Mars, Herseys, Mondele are the companies that can change this. They own over 60% of the volume.

The farmers are small family farms, They make no money and prices controlled by five traders. It’s substance farming. A good number cannot afford chocolate and have never had it.

I don’t like chocolate as much now.

Babbit Babbit
Dec '23

Wait until you hear about how tire manufacturers get rubber.

Consigliere
Dec '23

How dare Mars not assemble a crack team consisting of Rambo, Chuck Norris and Seal Team Six to infiltrate an African nation and put an end to child labor in a country where people are struggling to have enough to eat?

They should buy their cacao elsewhere... like some other country with the EXACT same issues. Quit eating chocolate if it bothers you that much... or pay ten times as much for artisan, organic, free-range, hormone-free, gender-neutral, chocolate-like substances. The power is with you, the consumer.

ianimal ianimal
Dec '23

You are 100% right that people have the power to choose. Sharing information, as provided in the article posted, gives people valuable insight in making a choice. Media blackouts and censorship are a disservice to all.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '23

So this is how it will be corrected.

ALL of The BIG cocoa buyers will agree to pay more for cocoa.

The cocoa growing nations will allow the cocoa industry to receive the cash.
That money will go to cocoa bean farmers.
They will hire more adult farmers.
The children won't be used anymore

yeah right.

ole' timer
Dec '23

Let's talk about electric car batteries.

As far as farming, when my grandmother was growing up she picked tobacco on a farm in Connecticut under the cloak of a summer camp. They came home with some money at the end of the block.

Growing up I had friends who's parents had their own farms and they worked those farms from the time they walked.

Rambo and Chuck Norris on a commando team with the SEALs? That’s one of pay to see in the theater

Consigliere
Dec '23

The main issue that people are raising with the child labor is that these children are working in dangerous conditions with machetes on the farms instead of attending school or less dangerous tasks. If these companies pay the farmers more to employe adults, there is no incentive to the overall issue of the child labor. The farmers can simply continue using the children and raise more money for equipment, etc. where the change needs to happen is in the governments or laws of these countries to help the children.

Aye80 Aye80
Dec '23

hey, we use our tax dollars to subsidize McDonalds and WalMart workers to flip our low cost burgers and hard goods from China. It's a dog eat dog world with worker scams, payroll scams and tax scams everywhere.

I need some chocolate.......

babbit babbit
Dec '23

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/mars-invests-over-70-million-in-hackettstown-new-jersey-site-furthering-culture-of-innovation-and-leadership-302094854.html

Mars announced an investment of more than $70 million in its Hackettstown, New Jersey site to continue its legacy of best-in-class innovation and manufacturing. Mars is a leader in confectionery, snacking, food, and pet care products and services and the maker of some of the world's most-loved brands, including M&M'S®, SNICKERS®, PEDIGREE®, and BEN'S ORIGINAL™. The latest major economic development from Mars supports a Research and Development (R&D) Innovation Studio—including a new test kitchen and packaging lab—along with manufacturing efficiencies and advancements in food safety at the Hackettstown manufacturing factory.

SmokeyJoe SmokeyJoe
Mar '24

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: M&M Mars in the News
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.