recommendations for Lawn clean up, edging and mulching

Please comment on positive (or negative) experiences with crews for spring lawn cleanup, edging of flower beds and mulching delivered and spread...cost/quality??
Many thanks!

Evergreen'69 Evergreen'69
Apr '23

If 10 people respond you will get 10 different recommendations LOL. I do see a few folks who regularly advertise here on HL in the services section of the classifieds. Perhaps give one of them a call?

I’d like to find someone as well. Every 2-3 years I spend $600 on bulk mulch (about 20 yards. Yes, TWENTY yards). And end up doing it myself after getting quotes. Most companies want $2000-$2500 for what’s essentially one days work for 2 unskilled workers. My wheel barrow finally gave out around 2021 from all the years of heaping loads. Side rant: I just priced out a new one and after years of being $100 for a good wheel barrow, they are now $150 for the same model.

Consigliere
Apr '23

@Consigliere. Agreed. I don’t feel so bad. I just got a quote for $2100 for 30 yards and edging. I thought that was way too expensive but after seeing your response I guess it’s the going rate.
BTW, I used to do it myself as well.
My wheelbarrow is fine; however after all the years of heaping loads, my BACK gave out.

TheSoundGuy TheSoundGuy
Apr '23

A little inside baseball, the cheapest I can as a contractor buy mulch in bulk is $26/yd. Not delivered, me picking it up with my dump trailer and bringing it wherever. Sure, I can shop around and maybe get a better delivered rate from someone that only deals in selling/delivering mulch. 30/yds * $26 = $780*1.07(tax) = $834.60. 20% markup on materials (which is nothing by the way in this economy) 834.60*1.20 = $1001.52 (yes, markup on tax). Assume your labor takes care of business overhead, 2100-1000=1100 for labor. 2 laborers for 8 hours, each moving 15 yards. 16 hours total. 1100/16= $68.75 hourly rate. I bet you pay nearly double for your car mechanic. Mowing a yard typically yields a better hourly rate if you know what your doing. Mulch is seen as a loss leader to keep you as a customer for other services (in most instances)

younggen younggen
Apr '23

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: recommendations for Lawn clean up, edging and mulching
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.