Snow 2022-2023

If this thread already exists, my apologies.

I just saw a winter weather advisory for our area and west from 4pm-7am (11/15-11/16). Looks like up to 2” of wintery mix.

Consigliere
2 weeks ago

GRRRRRR

I'll take the under for Hackettstown.

Route 46
2 weeks ago

Start brining the roads asap

Philliesman Philliesman
2 weeks ago

Re: Snow 2022-2023

yeah, really just rain for us, looks like... ground is still to warm for any coating to last...

But, winter has begun.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
2 weeks ago

I'll take just watching the flakes. It's okay if they warm up on the ground. Just watching it from inside is fine with me. But, a few inches would have looked nice.

DogDayAfternoon
2 weeks ago

Snow is pretty until December 26th. After that it becomes s**t!

JerseyTom JerseyTom
2 weeks ago

People should find joy in snow….if you don’t you will not have as much joy in your life but you will still have snow.

Says the girl that probably isn't shoveling the driveway, walkways, decks...

"People should find joy in snow…"

Tell that to the people of Buffalo with 3-6 FEET of snow forecast over the next couple days.

ianimal ianimal
1 week ago

Lexi, you're so right!

ole' timer
1 week ago

True, Lexi. So true, as long as everyone you know is safe, it's great to look at.

Just saw Buffalo can get up to 6 feet on the news, so they might want more than hot chocolate. Yikes!!!

DogDayAfternoon
1 week ago

I’m with Lexi as long as it’s just a little bit. Anything more than a foot and I’m over it.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
1 week ago

When I lived outside Buffalo, we always went to school. Dad may not have been able to get out of town, but the town was always clear.

In a six footer, someone will invariably get onto the highway, get stuck, keep the engine running without clearing the tailpipe, and well, you know the rest. We said, but it's Buffalo....

We prayed for colder weather so the Lakes would freeze; then we could send the stuff straight to NJ :>) That's one reason I say Feb is the cruelest month of all in NJ: especially if the Lakes are hard-frozen over.

We lived on the lake for awhile and often the Lake effect went right over us, that was cool. I think the football stadium is built right on the first ridge from the Lake, that can be brutal for both wind and snow. Great games to watch!

Frozen Great Lakes have nothing to do with nj snow.

Philliesman Philliesman
1 week ago

Maybe not, but liquid Great Lakes do

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
1 week ago

I will check back here on the "find joy in the snow" after the first storm of the season that has people sitting on Route 80 for hours..

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
1 week ago

1 week ago

That’s what the woman said.
Tell that to the boy named Josh.

emerald
1 week ago

I agree with Lexi. If you hate snow, why not consider moving south? I personally love snow. I'm sad that we get so little as compared to decades ago. The ski resorts have had some rough years recently. Winter hiking is the best ..... no bugs, less people, and incredible views from the mountaintops. I spend most of my winter weekends in the Catskills, Adirondacks, Green Mtns in Vermont, and White Mtns in NH. Unfortunately, my job keeps me in NJ 2-3 days minimum during the week. If you enjoyed hiking, snowshoeing, skiing (both downhill and x-country), and snowmobiling like we do, you'd love the snow too!

And yes, I shovel my driveway and sidewalk here in NJ, and snow-blow my driveway and sidewalk in upstate NY (our second home). I'll often have my AirPods rockin' some good tunes and consider it a good workout. I'm not a kid, just turned 61, but still keep going. (Elderly folks or those with health issues should not be shoveling snow. Paying a neighborhood youth is a better idea, .... if you can find one that wants to work!)

But I do agree that when places like Buffalo get hit with that many feet of snow in a short period of time, it creates a lot of headaches, injuries, and likely some loss of life. I'd never wish that on anyone. Hoping that area makes it through ok.

Rob Durana Rob Durana
1 week ago

I went to college in upstate NY right on the border of Quebec. In my experience, the places that get the most snow are the best at dealing with its removal. We once had a 38” storm that ended at 7am and the roads were completely clear by noon. All of them.

By contrast I flew down to Atlanta in the early 2000s to visit a friend and they had a 3” storm that shut the entire city and surrounding suburbs down for 2 days. My friend got two days off from work. They had farm equipment and front end loaders in the highway plowing. Quite funny to see southerners totally paralyzed by what we’d consider a dusting. Lots of pick up trucks but none have 4wd down there. Just a bunch of rwd rigs with wide tires and lift kits fishtailing down the road. We passed a bunch of them in my buddys FWD Corolla. Funny sight indeed

Consigliere
1 week ago

We flew into the Seattle area years ago on our way to Victoria BC. It was snowing when we landed. Everything shut down. They usually don't get weather like that. Cars couldn't get out of the steep parking garage under the hotel. We got stuck for 2 days. We ended up taking a seaplane to Victoria since my husband had to be at a client. Crazy.
I love the snow. Thank goodness I can still shovel and don't mind doing it.

Blackcat123 Blackcat123
1 week ago

"I went to college in upstate NY right on the border of Quebec."

SUNY Plattsburgh?

ianimal ianimal
1 week ago

Possible snow squalls this evening.

1 week ago

Like I said, we always went to school. A five footer, maybe a day off but probably not.

When the Lakes freeze, the colder air crosses fast, is not slowed by picking up moisture. making lake effect, and it streams farther southeast in more punishing cold effects from nj to md.

In Buffalo, when we saw the break in Feb, in NJ, at the same time we feel we are still freezing our ass off. Least it seems that way as I moved around. Also drier up there and less raw about then more humid nj.

Once I walked a drift right onto our first floor roof. No plows n blowers, we dug ourselves in a family event. All the families would be out; it was kinda fun.

The highway from erie to buffalo is really deadly since built on first ridge. That’s where the 80 car pileups are cux it dumps right off the lake. Farmers finally won one to move the highway away from good farming on the lake. We lived on the lake for awhile and the ice drifts are amazing. Sometimes as big as a house but covered in sand and looking like beach. Beautiful and dangerous at the same time. Can be over the beach or lake, hard to tell.

Buffalo winters are amazing. I love a good snow but hate the dangerous ones. This one has already killed, there has been thunder snow, so hard to say it’s a good one. But if the power holds, and there’s no ice, little wind, fewcdrifts, bring on the fluffy feets.

Haha you got it, Ianimal.

Babbit, a “five footer” doesn’t even compute in my mind. How one storm can drop 60” of snow is just incredible. I had two freinds that went to UB and I REFUSED to visit them in the winter hahaha.

Edit: Oops, my above comment should have said 28” storm.

Consigliere
1 week ago

20 hrs @ 3 inches per = 5 feet. That’s a good one for sure. I probably never saw one of those. If it drifts, that’s really tough.

When the lakes freeze, fools try to walk to Canada only to find the ice is tossed up, they end up walking in canyons of ice, can’t see the horizon, and if lucky, the copters find them before they find a weak spot. In Spring when lake is half frozen, sometimes we’d look out and see nothing but ice, later nothing but water as the flow covered half the lake but moved north and south.

Weather is very unpredictable on those lakes. Erie is pretty shallow so really can whip up in a good blow.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.