Bear killed goat-Independence Twp

Just a heads up, we have family member that lives on Townsbury Rd- Independence Twp .Sadly, a bear climbed their fencing, killing their goat. He said you can see where the fence got collapsed and drug the goat away.

Diana Gallagher Diana Gallagher
Oct '22

I typically see one bear per year hiking and running at stephens, deer park and allamuchy north. This year I’ve seen three. So, although anecdotal, my encounters are up 200% this year.

Consigliere
Oct '22

That is a shame about the goat. Scary thought for anyone with goats, chickens, ducks etc. Naturally our pets are always at risk as well. There were at least 3 different dog attacks by bear this past year in our area of the state.

Bear encounters, sightings as well as nuisance complaints have doubled at minimum in NJ this past year according to DEP statistics. The numbers don't take into account the non reported sightings, incidents, etc. That would really be alarming if the true numbers were communicated I'm sure. The Fish and Game council has recommended an emergency hunt but that will not be entertained it appears. Sadly, without a common sense population management plan, these types of serious incidents will continue to increase. More and more livestock and pets will be in peril. It's only a matter of time until another person has an encounter that ends with injury or worse.

There are numerous reports available online direct from DEP as well as many other groups that detail the numbers and recognize the serious nature of the uncontrolled bear population here in NJ.

Thanks for that information. My guess with the low yield of egg corn and other nuts that bears feed on, along with very early cold temps in our area, we will see more aggressive bears.

Diana G Diana G
Oct '22

There are too many bear this year due to cancelling bear hunting by the Governor.

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Oct '22

This is a non issue. If you have animals in your back yard you putting out an invite to every bear, coyote, etc to come eat. If you don’t want bears in your yard don’t give them a reason to enter it.

Sacks cousin
Oct '22

That may be the most elementary and potentially dangerous take on bears I’ve ever heard. “Non issue, people. Just don’t let your pets or children outside anymore.” People typically like to use their yards. Many people even have pets that go outside.

The population needs to be culled. While it’s true that black bears are typically fearful and harmless to humans, that behavior changes drastically when competition for food and territory increases. Locking ourselves and our pets inside is clearly not the answer.

Consigliere
Oct '22

I had a family member that had no animals in their backyard and there were still bears coming into their yard. It has nothing to do with having animals in the backyard. They will even raid your rubbish bins. So for the individual claiming to know that having animals in your backyard is ringing the dinner bell....the more you know sweetie. Animals do not always mean predators or wildlife. Take away the woods and their natural food sources and they go elsewhere

Exhackettres
Oct '22

The bear hunt needs to be brought back. The government of this state needs to listen to their own wildlife management agency, instead of disregarding their reports on the matter.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '22

Consigliere You must have read a different post. I never said to lock yourself up. You have a warped sense of reality where you believe things that aren’t said.

Sacks cousin
Oct '22

Northwest NJ should definitely have a hunt. NJ politicians are misguided fools.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '22

I don’t leave my garbage bins outside nor do we have pets, yet every week a have a family of 4 bears (3 larger cubs) walking on my driveway and literally up to my door. The number of bears I have seen in the area has increased dramatically and it’s only a matter of time before someone gets hurt. We need to stop playing politics and bring back the bear hunt to tame the population. Similar to all the deer that are around. There’s no apex predator for a bear other than a car hitting one. Managing the population of them also manages their environment and the food available.

Not today Not today
Oct '22

Not today - People have already gotten hurt. Here are just two examples.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bear-attacks-woman-new-jersey-check-mail-new-jersey/

https://abc7ny.com/elderly-woman-bear-attack-sparta-new-jersey/11424950/

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '22

Really?
I want to live in the country.

No to the compost facility (aka dump?)
No to residential development.
No to warehouse construction.

Yes to unlimited door to door delivery-24/7/365
Yes to woods.

Oh, there’s animals in them there woods?
Kill ‘em.

The absurdity of the situation.

Stymie Stymie
Oct '22

Sacks cousin, ok, so it’s a non issue if you don’t leave your pets outside. Is that a better summation of your comment? Now, who again has a warped sense of reality?

Consigliere
Oct '22

It's all about balancing the over population of wild animals when they have no predators to thin the heard . The main predator for deer is the automobile and will be for bear as well when their numbers explode . Two weeks ago I saw a young bear run across 46 on Vienna hill barely missing a car going downhill . These occurrences will increase and it might even take a person getting mauled to death , but bear hunting will be reinstated . It's just a matter of when .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Oct '22

Stymie I actually live in the woods in PA. I hunt in my yard. I see bear. Guess what, PA lets you hunt them. Parts of North Jersey need a hunt too. Hunting also helps prevent the spread of disease.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '22

Sorry about the goat. I'm against the bear hunt. I'm also against the constant overdeveloping of our state.

Walking Girl Walking Girl
Oct '22

I'm for the bear hunt. Too many, too comfy, need to send a message....

I hope this resident called this one in, this bear needs to be trapped and removed. If it was a tasty treat, it will do it again.

babbit babbit
Oct '22

"Sorry about the goat. I'm against the bear hunt."

I wonder if you will feel the same In the future if you have to say, sorry about your dog and/or sorry about your son.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '22

Calico,
I think you're over-reaching a bit.

Oct '22

Hmmm, seems not.

https://www.nj.com/sussex-county/2022/01/2-dogs-killed-by-bears-in-nj-how-to-protect-your-pets-and-your-yard.html

https://www.njherald.com/story/news/2022/08/15/nj-dog-attacked-by-bear-expected-to-recover/65400508007/

https://people.com/human-interest/10-year-old-boy-attacked-by-bear-in-grandparents-backyard/

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '22

How many long term NW NJ residents remember bears in this number in the 80s, 90s?
I'm not sure exactly how the population was "coaxed" into its current numbers - but in the residential sprawl areas bear and deer are a problem. I see them way more in "leafy" suburbs/toll Brothers areas then I do in Allamuchy Forest, Old Mine Rd, or the Appalachian corridor (anecdotally of course).

Deer carry disease and impact the already threatened forest balance- encouraging invasive plant spread and monocultures. Bear are just plain not wild, like raccoons, and all sorts of run ins can happen. We caused this problem obviously, but still have to address it. Not an easy solution or nice burden to carry for anyone.

Illo
Oct '22

Calico,
I meant you were over reaching in theorizing how I may feel should a pet or human be the the victim of a bear attack.
Of course I don’t want any harm to come to pets, livestock or humans. I don’t like the idea of a bear hunt either. I really wish we didn’t overbuild NJ and could have a nice balance with people and nature.
I’m entitled to my opinion. I didn’t call out your’s or anyone else’s opinion.

Oct '22

Walking Girl - Of course you are entitled to your opinion. I was just wondering if that opinion would be different if a pet or child was that one attacked is all.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '22

There is a bear hunt of sorts going on all year. Local farmers have been getting permits to kill up to 20 bears on their individual farm, report kill to state and bury remains.

One-eyed Poacher One-eyed Poacher
Oct '22

Walking girl, the area being over-built has little to do with it. We were building 2, 3, 4 and 5 years ago but the bear population was less of an issue then because people were allowed to hunt them.

I respect your opinion. I really do. You probably won’t find someone more for the conservation of nature than myself. I spend A LOT of time in our state parks enjoying the outdoors. It’s one of my most cherished activities. But a major part of conservation is keeping a natural balance of predators, prey and resources. There are no wolf packs or large cats to prey upon the local bear population anymore and so that duty falls upon us. In order to preserve nature we must be good stewards of the land and create a balanced harmony.

Consigliere
Oct '22

UPDATE-- Late -Saturday evening- Their neighbor-also on Townsbury Rd, had their goat pen broken down by a HUGE bear. Fortunately, the land- owners witnessed the bears attempt to attack goat and was able to scare it away. Owner said this was an extremely large bear that showed little fear of him and this particular bear was very reluctant to leave the area!
The state has been contacted and they are awaiting call back.... Just giving heads up to those residing in this area to be aware.

Diana G Diana G
Oct '22

Was just out in the woods metal detecting...kept looking over my shoulder after reading all these sightings..

About 10 or so years ago, around this time of year, I had 2 goats taken by bears...this is not so much a bear population issue as it is a "this is what bears do" issue...the plentiful food sources that keep them going from mid spring to early fall are waning, and at the same time, the bears are preparing for winter, so they will be a little more bold.

Vote4NoOne
Oct '22

We live in the country. If you brought in your goats with your bird feeders then we wouldn’t need a bear hunt. Simple solutions to simple problems people. Be lazy and leave your goats out. It’s not the bears fault.

Little kitty
Oct '22

Little Kitty, tell me you know nothing about wildlife management without telling me you know nothing about wildlife management. That’s a preposterous take on the matter. The bear population has exploded. These bears will all drop dead if people take bird feeders down? There are too many. They need to be culled.

Consigliere
Oct '22

Too many bears, too many houses, too many laws, this ain’t the country, it’s exurbia.

In the country, bear eats my goat, I eat the bear. Here I have to have a state wide referendum in order to take my trusty 12-gauge out to scare said bear out of there.

So, I really can’t scare them, beyond flapping my arms and banging pans. It’s probably easier for me to shoot a trespasser than it is to shoot a bear.

Personally, or I guess bearily, I would hang out here too, and raise a nice family. Good food, great accommodations, and very little risk. It’s bear heaven except for those conservative bears telling us we have to go back to the old bear ways. ;-)

Today it’s a goat in a pen, tomorrow’s a playpen……broken windows. This bear must be moved. If it’s a biggun, it be easier to find! Glad it was called in.

Babbit Babbit
Oct '22

I know nothing? Ridiculous.

If the goat was inside then it would be alive. If the birdfeeders were inside then the bear would eat elsewhere.

You can't leave your candy laying around and then get mad when the kids eat it.

Just bring the goats inside and stop begging to kill animals for no good reason.

Little kitty
Oct '22

But there IS a good reason. You’re just uneducated on the facts.

Consigliere
Oct '22

Little Kitty - I don’t have pets outside, nor bird feeders, yet bears are coming to my door. Your logic is simply void. I live in a large development as well and not the “woods” or direct “country”. I understand there are bears around, there always have been, but not at this level nor with the aggressiveness they are showing.

It needs to be accepted the mentality of this current administration in NJ is not doing anyone any good. They are ignoring the experts in wildlife management. A human life is more valuable than an animals. Period.

Tiredofbears Tiredofbears
Oct '22

I don't think goats would do very well inside a house..

Bug3
Oct '22

Little Kitty, I have lived in this area for over 70 years and never had any issues with bears until the last 10. We never had to keep livestock inside locked up, a fence was sufficient. The only thing that would get put inside was the chickens and geese because of Raccoons, Foxes and weasels. I no longer have chickens because of the bears, my garbage is sprayed, (it helps but does not completely stop them from trying). I have a fence around the garden that gets crushed because it was in their way, so now I don't garden. I even stopped feeding the birds because the bears come at all hours day or night. What does bother me is the MORONS feeding the bears and posting it on the internet. That makes the bears not afraid of Humans and will lead to a sad outcome for both Humans and Bears. I know we are in trouble when the bears walk down the street in Hackettstown or Washington or Phillipsburg. They have no natural predators to cull the herd except for Humans. So what do you suggest I do to stop them damaging stuff here? Calls to State go unanswered. If I could, I would trap them and truck them to Gov Murphy's home to let him know there is an issue. Maybe we can trap them and anyone who is so worried about them being hunted can erect a pen in their back yards to care for them so they can be safe.

Mr 4Paws Mr 4Paws
Oct '22

Goats do fine in homes. For those that are uneducated about domesticated goats there is plenty on the internet, I won’t bore you here.

I’ve lived in this area for a long time too. Big whoopty doo. The bears are here to stay and you all need to figure it out.

Just because you can doesn’t mean you kill them. I have never had a problem with a bear.

Put the darn goat somewhere else and everyone calm down.

Ninkumpoops. Bear hunt is not coming back anytime soon. And let’s just say I’ve seen them eating a jelly donut from time to time

Little kitty
Oct '22

Little kitty, if you’re feeding these animals you need to stop. It’s illegal for a reason!

No one wants to wipe out the bear population. We want to control the population by ensuring healthy numbers of them.

Consigliere
Oct '22

Good lord, no! I’ve never fed a bear. My bird feeders are inside as well as my animals. Don’t get mad at me for feeding bears when I am not.

Little kitty
Oct '22

How do you feed birds if you keep your bird feeders indoors?..just curious

Bug3
Oct '22

I was wondering the same thing Bug3. Must be lots of newspapers on the floor! LOL

The logic is flawed of course. Apply the same theory to vehicles and deer. Motorists would need to not drive at all on the roadways particularly this time of year in order not to have an "encounter" with a deer.

“And let’s just say I’ve seen them eating a jelly donut from time to time”

Then I’m really confused about this statement.

Consigliere
Oct '22

The bird feeders and goats are drawing the bears in. Are you saying that cars driving down the road are drawing the deer in? That would be silly. Although, it does seem that way from time to time. But yes, if cars were driving through my yard and running over my goats I would again bring the goats in.

The bird feeders are brought in and not actively being used to feed birds while inside. Again another silly statement.

Little kitty
Oct '22

Then why have I seen bears in my yard when I don’t have bird feeders or pets?

Consigliere
Oct '22

Bears have a territory..they just patrol the whole area looking for food..usually harmless but scary looking..but i beg to ask..why have bird feeders if you don't feed the birds?.. now that is just plain silly

Bug3
Oct '22

You put the feeders out during the day and bring them in at night. Usually don't have to do that in December - February.

Mr. Resident Mr. Resident
Oct '22

What’s silly is you live in bear country and don’t know the posted recommendations for bird feeders in your area, all the while you’re begging to kill them. Not that’s silly. You don’t have the capacity to do the very basic things to live in harmony with the wildlife that we share the land with. That’s silly. Keep mindlessly doing whatever you want, ignore the recommendations, be ignorant of best practices and complain when the bears ruin your property or eat your pets and tip over your garbage cans. Then all you silly folks can beg and beg for the hunt to come back. And what’s even sillier is you probably don’t even go out and hunt them. You let someone else do it for you. Stop being so damn silly and start being responsible.

Little kitty
Oct '22

Can I responsibly take my 12-guage and remove this trespasser from MY property? Naturally?

Point is this situation is NOT natural, it is artificially caused by higher density exurban sprawl and overzealous regulations allowing bears to overpopulate the area. This bear has discovered tasty treats and will not stop until stopped. Must be removed to a better, less populated area.

It's one thing to take in a bird feeder, just smart practice given the circumstances. But keeping my trash in Fort Knox? Bringing in all livestock smaller than a cow? Cats can no longer mouse outside at night? I am sorry, but what about the poor goats.....what about their nightlife, their freedoms, their lives. Why should they have to live penned up, inside, while the bears roam free where only goats used to trod? I say "nighttime is for goats, set my goats free."

Babbit Babbit
Oct '22

If you have goats or sheep, maybe just get a dog or two like a great Pyrenees. I know people who have live stock and raise the pups with the animals. Solves the coyote and bear issue.

Justpassinthru
Oct '22

Bears are not nocturnal

They are just as likely to hit a bird feeder during daytime or night time

Putting a bird feeder out during day time hours only entices a daytime bear visit

I

Bug3
Oct '22

Bear hunt returning as early as next month. Governor Murphy has finally come to his senses.

Weather Buff
Nov '22

Great news!

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '22

https://www.nj.gov/governor/news/news/562022/20221110a.shtml
The above is from the governor’s office. As Weather Buff was stating, it looks the like bear hunt is being considered this year.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '22

It took him long enough….!!

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Nov '22

Grin and bear it.

Babbit Babbit
Nov '22

Two things I learned from this is that bears don't go out a night. And reading the nj house plan that deer have three litters a year in nj (A=3242).

Sorry three things, Hunters Helping the Hungry got a grant and this year is waiving the $100 donation fee and prostate exam for deer 51 pounds and heavier. It's a $50 donation fee for those under 50lbs.

Lastly, why doesn't the state publish how their control methods work or don't? We're all adults here and know that police, wardens, and permit holders are shooting bear, deer, rabid otters, fish eating birds, etc all year long.

Why can't some of these animals be used by HHH? Most other states have places that they can take dead game animals to feed the local requirements. 8 to 10 bears is about a ton of meat.

One-eyed Poacher One-eyed Poacher
Nov '22

What:: One litter per year with 1 to 3 fawns, but usually 2. First-time mothers usually give birth to just one fawn. Sex ratio—The number of males to females depends ...

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '22

N.J. bear hunt opponents win emergency court stay days before its start

https://www.nj.com/news/2022/11/nj-bear-hunt-opponents-win-emergency-court-stay-days-before-its-start.html

Unreal this state is.

Weather Buff
Nov '22

I agree Weather Buff. This is ridiculous. The bear hunt is crucial in maintaining a healthy population. I am not a hunter, but completely understand that bear, deer, etc populations need to be controlled. Especially in NJ, the garbage state, the most densely populated state. Sigh. Cannot wait another couple years to retire and get the f*** out of here. Upstate NY (the Catskills) is so much better .....

Rob Durana Rob Durana
Dec '22

I’m baffled as to why the Humane Society of the United States is against the population control of bears. I can see local bleeding heart groups not understanding what animal/land conservation is all about but a group with as much power and reach as the Humane Society? I guess they are just another radical ideologically driven faction like PETA. They should really stay out of this.

Consigliere
Dec '22

I am not against the bear hunt but they didn't follow the correct process when they rushed this through and that is what is going to probably stop it this year...something about public hearings

Bug3
Dec '22

I am not a hunter, but completely understand that bear, deer, etc populations need to be controlled.

It's the bear's job to control the deer population.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Dec '22

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic is unavailable for comments.