Will Allamuchy ever get a supermarket?

It's not too big of a deal to drive 22 minutes to Shoprite from Panther Valley.... Actually IT IS. Does anyone know if Allamuchy will ever develop some more commercial space, shops and a supermarket? It's kind of ridiculous that you have 3100 people living in a community with no market to service it in the vicinity. And Panther Valley is not the boondocks, it's right off route 80.

Remi Martin Remi Martin
Sep '22

I think you answered your own question.

Only 3100 residents
Right off Rt 80
Only 22 minutes to several large supermarkets.

I say enjoy the rural life as it is.

If they put a supermarket right off rt80 in allamuchy..it would be packed..take a spin diwn rt 517 between 3pm to 6pm..its nasty..not to mention all the new apartments in Hackettstown and Independence on that side of town will make it even worse

Bug3
Sep '22

No. They won't.

Country
Sep '22

It's long been said Cowamuchy has more cows than people .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Sep '22

I hope not ever...

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Sep '22

Greg, Panther Valley in Allamuchy is NOT rural. It's typical NJ suburb housing and lifestyle. They are planning to continue building more condos here is my issue. At some point, there has to be some zoning requirements for commercial/retail at a ratio to populace.

Bug3, there's traffic everywhere in North Jersey between 3-6pm.

Remi Martin Remi Martin
Sep '22

And that traffic will go to a supermarket on that side of town..Allamuchy is not a bubble..all the development in hackettstown and independence ( apartments) will just make things worse heading to mansfield..a supermarket would draw a big crowd

Bug3
Sep '22

Really - where else have you lived? I have never had a market closer than ours.... and I'm not anxious for a lot more traffic coming our way

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '22

if they come, they will build it. :)

ole' timer
Sep '22

Don't like it....move. Should be something you think about before moving there. Crazy concept I know...

IrishGirl
Sep '22

Panther Valley is simply an older housing development in a rural township in the north western part of NJ that happens to keep growing a bit. Certainly not an urban epicenter here in this rural portion of NJ. LOL

Now if urbanization of the area is what you are looking for, I say be cautious of what you wish for.

My thoughts are keep it as it is. A nice drive along some scenic roadways is good for what ails you. In my opinion of course.

Rumor has it that Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are locked in a lawsuit fighting over which one will have the privilege of serving the affluent area of Allamuchy and Hackettstown.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Sep '22

Which Shoprite?
Byram may be a quicker drive than Mansfield.

Not to sound like Jim who I really like on the forms. And I love love my small town but a Trader Joe’s is never coming this far west.

I recall in discussions like this in the past it was noted there were no commercial zoning locations left in Allamuchy (or maybe it was just one parcel).

Does that ring a bell for anybody?

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Sep '22

I think people don't do their research when moving here and then complain we don't have what they want.

Country
Sep '22

IrishGirl, ever hear of progress?

Greg, all I'm asking is for 1 supermarket. Not for it to turn into Paterson, NJ.

Country, people rode on horses 100 years ago on dirt paths. Now we have cars in Allamuchy and Hackettstown.

Remi Martin Remi Martin
Sep '22

Lol 22 mins big deal. Are you going everyday?

Big bob
Sep '22

No worries!
A Shop Rite is opening soon next to Pub 517
However it will be Self Check Out
O N L Y

ChiliDog ChiliDog
Sep '22

ChiliDog. LOL, I'll take it! After bagging your own stuff, you head over for a quick drink.

DogDayAfternoon
Sep '22

Big bob, few times a week. That's around $5/trip for fuel. Adds up. When you've got 3 kids, it's a different paradigm than hermiting up in a shack in Allamuchy. Some of us don't have alot of time to do nothing.

When I grew up in Bergen county, we had these folks called "the Mountain People", who lived up in the Ramapo valley with no running water. They had two old pickup trucks they'd load 8 people in, and drive down to the Grand Union and do their supply run. Some of these suggestions here sound like that.

Remi Martin Remi Martin
Sep '22

There is some commercial zoning along Rt517, however, it’s limited. Almost all of the land east of Rt517 has been purchased by the state and is preserved. The remaining parcels are zoned for public parks and education. There are some parcels on the west side of Rt517 that are zoned commercial, but there are no sewers.

The Allamuchy Land Use Board is currently updating their master plan. I suggest you go to the next meeting and let your opinions be heard. If enough people show up and request that more areas in the town be zoned commercial then the board may be inclined to make the change. Of course, then it would be up to the property owner to develop it the way they want (within the zoning restrictions).

Personally, I’d rather look at trees and farm fields…..and drive to the supermarket!

FarmerJake FarmerJake
Sep '22

Why are you being so rude to the posters here and mocking the area?

Most of us moved here because it's less crowded and we like it that way. If you don't, then perhaps a move is in order.

Well said, MB.

DogDayAfternoon
Sep '22

Somehow I just knew "Bergen County" would come into the equation...

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Sep '22

MB, maybe we should ban cars period on 517 and bring back horse and buggy? What's your point? There is the Allamuchy town mini mall already next to Panther Valley, a huge Mars/M&M corporation right on 517, two big gas stations, Quik Chek, a big bank, and another mini mall there. Nobody complained when they went up. All some of us want is ONE supermarket. Is that too much to ask for? I'm not calling for full urbanization.

And the proverbial, "Maybe move and go back where you came from" doesn't sound like a municipality that is very welcoming. This is how townships die in America.

Remi Martin Remi Martin
Sep '22

FarmerJake,
Thanks for the sensible and informative answer! I agree, I hope the town stays relatively the same. It just makes sense to have the convenience of one market nearby. Not supporting mass development of the area, and I enjoy the scenic countryside on 517.

Remi Martin Remi Martin
Sep '22

Byram Shoprite is a great store.
Or drive to Hackettstown and hit several shops.
Things could be worse (see:weather channel).

Stymie Stymie
Sep '22

LOL just had to mention Bergen County. Kick rocks

CockInTheHenHouse CockInTheHenHouse
Sep '22

"Nobody complained when they went up."

That is an entirely incorrect statement.

Interesting that Remi Martin mentioned the Ramapo Mountain People aka The Jackson Whites who are a strange part of NJ history . I read an article on them a while back in the Weird NJ magazine and I found it to be a fascinating story about people who I never knew existed in the state .

https://weirdnj.com/stories/fabled-people-and-places/jackson-whites/

97XBAM 97XBAM
Sep '22

"When you've got 3 kids, it's a different paradigm than hermiting up in a shack in Allamuchy. Some of us don't have alot of time to do nothing."

After that comment and the one about "Mountain People" you expect people to be "welcoming" to you?

BTW, I've also got 3 little kids and the supermarket location is not that big of a deal.

“When I grew up in Bergen County” I stopped reading after that. This isn’t Bergen, Passaic, Essex or even Morris. I moved here BECAUSE things were spread out. A 22 minute drive? Cry harder.

Consigliere
Sep '22

Remi-
Did you not know there was not a grocery store an acceptable distance from your home when you moved here? Someone promise you they were going to build one just for you once you did? I have five young children and grocery shop once a week. I plan what I need for the week and stock up on dry and canned goods at club stores or during grocery store sales. My questions are not trying to be sarcastic at all. Just wondering why it is an issue to you now, when I am sure you must have explored the area before purchasing your home.

Kasey Kasey
Oct '22

Kasey, it's not a huge issue. I was just simply wondering if there was a plan for one. I can name thousands of rural communities across america that have at least one market or supermarket to service it.

Remi Martin Remi Martin
Oct '22

Not huge issue now but in yout original post "IT IS" lol :) In any case, guess you got your answer. Budd Lake has the same issue, they have to Flanders or Mansfield, and I wouldn't exactly call that area rural.

Kasey Kasey
Oct '22

. I can name thousands of rural communities across america that have at least one market or supermarket to service it.

ok. go ahead

“ok. go ahead”

I think it’s because PV isn’t an actual town per se.

I’m in Belvidere and we have a small market. Great Meadows has Nykuns. I lived in a couple of small towns in VT and also TX which had the obligatory general store.

In all these instances I did make a run to The Big Store for stocking up every 2-3 weeks as the small stores were always more expensive with far less variety.

Linda Linda
Oct '22

Nykuns is hardly a supermarket. It’s not even really a regular market lol

Consigliere
Oct '22

Hackettstown, Liberty and Independence don't have a supermarket why would Allamuchy?

ole' timer
Oct '22

Allamuchy needs a dollar general..basically a mini walmart with groceries

Bug3
Oct '22

Just an FYI :

The Mall at Panther Valley, Allamuchy, is going to have a Market.
Called the Market at Panther Valley location in the middle of our mall. Building B.
This should be opening in late October or November.
Fresh Produce, Meats, Seafood, ect.
Looking forward to it.
Keith

Keith Keith
Oct '22

Dollar General LOL. I would not want one near me, lower property value...

Keith

I heard a rumor about a produce market coming to Panther Valley but was told that was just a rumor. Do you know for sure? I would love it if it was true

Local Gal Local Gal
Oct '22

It’s true.
I know I signed the lease.
Keith

Keith Keith
Oct '22

Thanks Keith. I guess that’s pretty compelling evidence that it’s true. Can’t wait to shop there !!

Local Gal Local Gal
Oct '22

Keith. I'm so excited for this! I can't wait to shop! Thanks for confirming.

DogDayAfternoon
Oct '22

Keith, that's great news! hope it happens.

Remi Martin Remi Martin
Oct '22

So instead of complaining about your $5 fuel cost to drive to shoprite, you will complain about the market’s prices which will undoubtedly be higher than a chain supermarket.

emerald
Oct '22

emerald, why do you complain about this develpment?

Remi Martin Remi Martin
Oct '22

You have a point emerald . Someone will complain

Gonna by a great market, you’ll pay, but it will be top of the line.

Indie Indie
Oct '22

Yes, some random poster says he signed a lease so this has to be true.

There’s a sign on the former Thru Bean Cool advertising a new market.

Jess
Oct '22

I live in PV - if I need something quick from a market, I go to Tranquility Farms or 7-11. Granted, 7-11 is pricey so will be interesting to see what this market offiers.

Move out here from Bergen County and then want us to turn into Bergen county! Just like the people who move into Great Meadows and complain about gunshots and Island Dragway

deviljet
Oct '22

Ohhh, I am looking forward to it!!!

htownlifer htownlifer
Oct '22

Of course people will complain and rightfully so. Downside of Warren and Sussex counties, no Wegmans and no Whole Foods...

Wegmans is in Easton and Parsipanny which also has Whole Foods . Not that far to drive and the cost of gas to drive there is a drop in the bucket compared to the astronomical property taxes of living in the neighborhood of those stores . I wish there was a store like Boscovs or the Flemington Department Store closer , but I don't mind driving to those two excellent brick and mortar gems .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Oct '22

Wegmans in Nazareth too. The Bridgewater location is fine with me but still a bit of time driving. Still surprised Chester doesn't have a Whole Foods or a TJs...

If a 20 minute drive to the supermarket is your chief complaint about your town, I'd say you're in pretty good shape. Allamuchy doesn't need a supermarket when you have one a town or 2 over in every direction.

Vote4NoOne
Oct '22

Nope. 45 minutes on the road to and from a supermarket is just dumb. I moved from an even more rural area in Arkansas near Harrison and we had a supermarket and infrastructure within 5 minutes pretty much everywhere. This is 2022 people. Not 1938.

BigTexasCrude
Oct '22

Keith is it really opening? When? Anxious and yeah, I'm one of those that hates having to waste time driving to Weis, ShopRite. or Walmart when there are times I only need a few things. Waste of time, waste of gas.

DogDayAfternoon
Oct '22

Has this store opened yet? If not, when?

htownlifer htownlifer
Nov '22

There is a banner in front of the store so should be opening soon.

I heard 7-11 is closing!

alla23 alla23
Nov '22

Alla23

I’ve heard 7-11 is being sold but it will still be a 7-11

Here’s an article with more info

https://www.nj.com/business/2022/11/7-eleven-to-close-1-store-sell-18-others-in-nj.html?outputType=amp

Local Gal Local Gal
Nov '22

From the article

It won't be a 7-11 when sold

The locations will be sold through a “buy one, some or all” process and without convenience store branding, according to NRC.

Bug3
Nov '22

Bug3

You’re right. I went back and reread the article. I guess all we can hope is that it’s something useful.

Local Gal Local Gal
Nov '22

Any news on the opening of the market in PV? I see the sign out front and hoping it's a good quick spot to shop local. Thanks

DogDayAfternoon
Nov '22

Just bumping this up, hoping for an update. LOL
Thanks.

DogDayAfternoon
Nov '22

Make 1 trip per week not three for your three kids, problem solved

itiswhatitis
Nov '22

Easy to say, itiswhatitis. Some people can't do large loads. Or are elderly. Or just want ten things. Or a million other reasons why having the market close is ideal. It's not like anyone else didn't think of that idea.

DogDayAfternoon
Dec '22

Good evening everyone,

While, I don't come on here and waste not only my time but other peoples time, we have a market going into our Mall soon.
To MB, Who stated I'm a Radom poster, I am actually the owner of the mall so be patient and great things are going to happen at our Panther Valley Mall.

Keith DeTombeur

Keith Keith
Dec '22

Keith, well I'm very excited about it! Can't wait for something close, even if it's just a few items a day.

DogDayAfternoon
Dec '22

Keith DeTombuer worked at the old Hackettstown Shoprite on Main Street with his friend John Klaver years ago. Since then he has become a real estate magnate in the Hackettstown area. He will get the market open.

Duke
Dec '22

Duke, I agree. He will open the market. He knows what he's doing. It will be a success, and I'm looking forward to whenever it happens. I'm sure there is a LOT involved to get it to the point of "open."

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Dec '22

The new market will be out of business in 6 months. The prices will all be higher than the grocery stores. Will be closed by 5pm on weekends. Doesn't really help the residents of Allamuchy. Can't we just get normal stores like normal people. Construct buildings in the middle of the parking lot like they just did in Newton. Starbucks, Panera break, Dunkin, something people actually want than some booshie market. Vanilla market failed. 7-11 is a dump.

Bob R
Dec '22

It should be named " Bob's Ray Of Sunshine Market". Lol.

Happy Holidays.....

Bob: For what it’s worth, 7-11 is one of 18 in NJ that are being sold, so who knows what will be going in there.

Local Gal Local Gal
Dec '22

Bob R. Geesh. Thanks for the positive outlook. Bah humbug.

Yes, it would be nice to have 'regular' stores around here, because it looks like we have 'the room', but any new business should be given support and a chance to thrive. You consider Starbucks and their expensive coffees a 'regular store'? That's rich. So is their coffee.

DogDayAfternoon
Dec '22

“It should be named " Bob's Ray Of Sunshine Market".” Greg, I nearly spit my coffee out laughing. That was hilarious

Consigliere
Dec '22

Panera bread is bougie af, sorry generic-chain-store-loving-Bob

It would be awesome to have a local market to pick up small orders at, especially for folks on the way in and out of the development.
I loved the coffee shop and Vanilla market but as I don't live directly in PV, didn't find it too convenient to go there vs in town. Hoping this place does well!

Illo
Dec '22

Good one Greg! Lmbo!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Dec '22

I've lived in PV since 2005 and would love to have something like "The Market" open in the plaza. We need some local, good quality meat and seafood. A small variety of prepared foods would also be a plus. You get extra points if you can supply some decent Italian bakery items lol.

I would love to hear in more detail what this place will have in terms of seafood and where it is being sourced from.

There are a lot of dual-income, busy families that would become good customers, quickly and I would definitely be one of them. If I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars on groceries a month I would much rather shop smaller and local and hopefully enjoy a better quality of food.

Best of luck!

PVShopper PVShopper
Dec '22

Panera, a fast food bakery is boujee?

Roywhite Roywhite
Dec '22

Roywhite - Panera sandwiches go for $12 each. They are not at all cheap.

Expensive =/= bougie. Friendlys sandwiches are all well over $12 too.

Sarcasm falls pretty flat here :)

Illo
Dec '22

PVShopper, what you need is what anyone needs in NJ. A Wegmans or Trader Joes. Having one or both solves the problem fast. Problem with that PV shopping center is that it is very old so it will never get a Trader Joes.

Imagine thinking that wegmans or Trader Joe’s would even consider coming to allamuchy. Or Warren co. Lol

Philliesman Philliesman
Dec '22

Opening today?

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Dec '22

A friend posted this on FB.

"Got my morning coffee at The Market in The Panther Valley Mall. They have meat and seafood and will be delivering in the area soon. They have NY strip steaks, ribeye’s, king crab legs, Faroe Island Salmon, fresh produce and much more!! Check them out!!"

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '22

Apparently their soft opening was today. According to their FB page they will also be selling charcuterie cheeses, meats and boards, dry goods, baked goods and to-go dinners and sandwiches.

Hours are 7 to 7 daily except Sunday which is 8 to 2

Local Gal Local Gal
Dec '22

It's a nice place and the woman who waited on me was very nice. Glad to have fresh produce near here. I wish them well.

DogDayAfternoon
Dec '22

I had their pulled pork sandwich tonight, and my daughter had a turkey sandwich. We both really liked our sandwiches and will return to The Market! I am also pleased to see that they have some fresh veggies, milk, eggs, cheese, meat, etc. It may not be my go-to for regular shopping but it will great when I've forgotten something last minute! I think it's a great addition to the PV mall.

Jersey Girl Jersey Girl
Dec '22

I tried the mac salad and the eggplant sandwich. Both were delish!

I am glad we at least have the option. Our family certainly would not fulfill our multi-hundred dollar weekly grocery list there but if we’re in the mood for a choice cut of meat or some fancy cheeses I’ll stop in for sure. It’s right off of rt 80 so either my wife or myself will pass it multiple times per day. Good luck to the proprietor!

Consigliere
Dec '22

The produce there seemed reasonably priced. The meats and seafood, were pricy but did appear to be excellent quality. Salmon was $20 for a lb. There are some prepared meals, chili, and homemade pasta sauce. Frozen ravioli was more expensive then the ones I buy at Donaldsons but again, you are paying for convenience and the quality looks to be great.

The owner is a great person and has been in the business for a long time. He will do very well there as he deals with quality products and is a small business owner.

Michigan Michigan
Dec '22

The Eggplant Sandwich was amazing. Also great if you need to just pick up a few fruits and veggies and milk/eggs. Everyone is so nice there!

alla2323 alla2323
Jan '23

Alla2323, good to know. Love eggplant. Already had their fruits and veggies. They're fresh and displayed nicely. Very happy that they are so nice there, too.

DogDayAfternoon
Jan '23

Eggplant is the most Italian tasting Italian food. Which is to say, delicious. Looks like I have my lunch planned for today.

Consigliere
Jan '23

I too could cozy up to a great eggplant sangwich.

Can a person sit in there to eat lunch or is it takeout only ?

dss - take out. It's a small market.

DogDayAfternoon
Jan '23

So basically it's a market not a supermarket...

never expected it to be a supermarket....nice selection of items

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '23

Hence the name "The Market"..

Stopped in yesterday, picked up a few things. Prices were in line with what I expected for the convenience.

Macaroni salad was good. I picked up a broccoli/cheese pastry for lunch today.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jan '23

Just had the broccoli cheese pastry, it was delicious!! Highly recommend!

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jan '23

So the Vanilla Market was there before, and its food was good as per my one visit. Is this new market any bigger, or is this just the Vanilla Market redux?

IJay

Check out their Facebook page to get a better idea. “The Market at Panther Valley”

They have fresh produce, steaks, seafood, gourmet sauces, pasta, homemade ravioli, to-go dinners, sandwiches, soup, pastries, salads, milk, eggs, cheese etc

Local Gal Local Gal
Jan '23

No, iJay, it's not a reboot of Vanilla Market. Love it. Went again today. Great sandwich!

DogDayAfternoon
Jan '23

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Will Allamuchy ever get a supermarket?
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.