T mobile 55 and older plan or Verizon

My sister and I are on a shared Verizon plan. We have pretty basic stuff, no bells or whistles. I get a discount through my job plus we save for going paperless and doing autopay. The bill is $135 total. I just got a mailing from T mobile about a 55 and older plan. It would be $27.50 for two lines. Unlimited, etc. This sounds too good to be true. That, or we are getting severely ripped off with Verizon. Does anyone have this plan with T mobile?

Nutcracker Nutcracker
Jun '22

I'm on that plan and it's $70.00 for 2 lines, but I've been on it for about 4 years, maybe something has changed.

I'd call T-Mobile for verification, $27.50 does indeed sound TGTBT.

*** I checked their site after I posted. It's $27.50 PER PERSON in the basic plan, not total, so it would be $55.00 for you. I have the middle plan so its $70.00. Still a good deal. I was with Verizon for years before I made the switch. Now of course they want me back, but when I tried to negotiate with them for a lower price before I switched, they basically blew me off. I'm more than satisfied with T-Mobile.

One thing though, in order to qualify for the 55 and older deal, you have to have payments set on auto-pay, but that's not a problem for me.

only one truth only one truth
Jun '22

Looking at T-Mobile web site sure looks like the $27.50 is legit. It’s for the 55+ Essentials. Keep in mind, that’s per line so it would be $55.00 for 2 lines which does not include fees and taxes. There are 2 other 55+ planes that are $35.00 and $45.00 per line. I looked at the fine print to be sure it was not a promotional rate. Here’s the link.

https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/unlimited-55-senior-discount-plans?INTNAV=tNav:Plans:UnlimitedAge55

Local Gal Local Gal
Jun '22

Local Gal,

You're right about the taxes and fees not being included with that basic (essentials) plan. The other 2 plans offered already include the taxes and fees in the final price.

Jun '22

Nutcracker
Only One Truth makes a good point. The T-Mobile plan $35.00 per line includes taxes and fees. So at $70.00 a month it’s still way better than Verizon

Local Gal Local Gal
Jun '22

Look into Xfinity(comcast) also. If you have cable or WiFi you may be able to get an even better price for your cellphone. I pay $15 a month ($16.57 with taxes) for 1 GB of data. it is $30 a month for 3GB. Not sure how much unlimited data is. They also use Verizon cell towers I think.

happycamper happycamper
Jun '22

I have T-Mobile but only for one line with the 55 year old plan. It's $45 a month. I've had it three years. If you travel in North America Mexico and Canada are included - a very good deal.
Spam calls or text are (knocking on wood) proactively controlled with maybe one call or text every two months getting through.

My friend was visiting and had t-mobile; she had spotty coverage in Hackettstown and Lake Hopatcong. Just FYI. I've been thinking about switching to Xfinity from Verizon. They say they use Verizon network which I've been happy with for almost 20 years (other than the cost).

Jane M Jane M
Jun '22

Switch! Yes you are getting ripped off by Verizon!
We switched and not only is the service great, their offers all legit, but they also have a myriad of other bonuses and special savings (like food and gas discounts).

Plus, if you do have to call customer service, you speak with a person in moments!

@Jane,

That's strange because I live in Hackettstown and have never had any connectivity issues with T-Mobile.

Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I've experienced any problems, and since they bought Sprint out, they probably have just as many (if not more) cell towers than Verizon does.

Someone else mentioned their customer service, which I concur is top notch.

All I know is that I haven't had any problems since I switched from Verizon, who were ripping me off and refused to negotiate a better price, even though I had been their customer for over 10 years.

Jun '22

It certainly sounds like I should switch from Verizon. I have to wait for our contract to run out though. Thanks for all the input.

nutcracker nutcracker
Jun '22

Just wanted to add my two cents, I switched a couple of years ago to Consumer cellular, and really like it. $35.00 per month, went to Target and bought a phone, some phones are as cheap as $80.00 , but you can go all the way up to the latest iphone if you would like, it costs conserably more of course.
Consumer celluar uses T moibile and ATT for their service I think.
For the $35.00 per month I get calls and texts unlimited and 5mb of data, and you can add 5mb units for an extra $5.00 per month. I don't use much data myself, but.
If you are going to switch from verizon, make sure that you have your 4 digit code, I don't remember what term for the code is, but you have a 4 digit code that you will need.
Really got fed up with verizon, was acustomer for many years, and do you think that they cared about that, you got it, not even a little bit.
Like I said, just wanted to add my two cents.
Good luck with whatever route you choose.

I use tracfone and pay $125.00 a year. My phone only has internet from WiFi which works at home and businesses that provide WiFi. I don't need to be "plugged in" at all times. A phone is for talking or GPS nothing more for me. Lol

Robert Rowe Robert Rowe
Jun '22

I had TMobile at one time and had awful reception throughout the Hackettstown area. I also couldn't get coverage in the car a lot of times towards PA. Verizon monthly plan with no contract is stellar for me. Unlimited and twenty-five a month. (because if you've had them for years, you get 10 off and then 5 off a month for auto pay) Love it.

DogDayAfternoon
Jul '22

Well now I'm wondering what's better between t mobile, mint Mobile, TracFone, or straight talk. I don't need my cellphone for everything that I do. I have a desktop at home. My phone is for texting, calling, and looking up an occasional thing when I'm out and about. I'm not streaming videos, playing games, etc.

Nutcracker Nutcracker
Jul '22

Mint Mobile did lower all their plans to 15 bucks a month, so Nutcracker, that sound like great savings.

DogDayAfternoon
Jul '22

Dog Day,

How long ago did you have T-Mobile? I ask because I've never had any reception problems with them, save for the occasional short-term interruption which every carrier has, and it's only when I'm way out in the sticks somewhere. Was it before they merged with Sprint?

I'm fairly surprised to hear that Verizon has a plan like yours, sounds TGTBT coming from them, but if you say so then I guess it's true.

You say it's "unlimited". Does that mean unlimited everything? All I know is that Verizon is still begging me to "come back" to them, but I've never seen any offers like the one you have, and T-Mobile is still the far better deal.

Nutcracker, if your cell phone needs are very basic, then maybe you should check out some of these bargain networks for sure. I don't know much about them, but if they meet your minimal requirements for a phone, then it would be a no brainer.

But if you choose to go with one of the big carriers, then T-Mobile won't let you down, and they come at a big discount compared to Verizon or ATT. Good luck with your decision.

Jul '22

only one truth,

I had it about 10 years ago. (T-Mobile) Maybe it's improved by now, but I had extremely spotting connections even at home!

My plan is 25, because it's their prepaid one. I started at 40 a month, then because of customer loyalty over the years, they give a discount of 10 a month. (mind you, I found the information on their wireless site, it's not like they sent me something). That brought it to 30 a month for prepaid and then I chose the auto pay, which gives me a five dollar a month additional discount. Their customer support could not have been nicer, too. So, it's down to 25 a month for the prepaid plan. It's not regular - it's prepay and I have unlimted everything, so it works for me! I have to say, though, that Mint Mobile sounds awfully good. Fifteen a month and such.

DogDayAfternoon
Jul '22

Hi
I pay $68 per month. Senior plan.
Cricket Wireless and got a free phone to boot. AT & T lines.
Went to Palmer Park Mall in Easton Pa.
P/M me if you would like and I can send you their # or I can post here if interested.
Great service all around.

If my bill wasn't high enough, I just got an email from Verizon that there will be an increase of $12 per month on my bill because of rising operational costs. It goes on to say that I should consider exploring the 5G unlimited plans and that I'll get an exclusive discount because because I'm 55+.
In other words, either way I'll be paying more. Good riddance.

Nutcracker Nutcracker
Jul '22

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: T mobile 55 and older plan or Verizon
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.