No more baskets at Walmart?

Did Walmart get rid of their shopping baskets? I noticed they have not had any since the plastic bag ban. I feel weird putting my items directly into my personal reusable bag as I shop and don't grab a cart if I only need a couple of items. Has anyone else had this experience?

Perplexed Perplexed
Jun '22

Ask one of the front end employees the next time you are in. That would not be the best move by Sprawl-mart, not very shopper friendly.
I actually like shopping and placing my items directly into my canvass bag. Hopefully I take it all back out when I use the self check out. After all when retailers essentially had me become a cashier I was never trained properly. LOL

I have been to Walmart numerous times in the last few weeks, the carts have always been there.

lwinters lwinters
Jun '22

Hahahaha Greg! I agree 100%. I can’t believe these large retailers essentially tricked the public into becoming their employees. I used to wait in the line for the “manned” register even if the self check was faster out of principle. Now there are only 2 cashiers and the self check has expanded.

Consigliere
Jun '22

They probably removed them because people would take them home to carry groceries since the start of this ridiculous bag ban.

CTFA3
Jun '22

Ah that's a good point CTFA3.

I see I added an extra "s" to the word canvas above. Oops. I guess I was distracted thinking about my upcoming employee review at Walmart. LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxINJzqzn4w

and-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOEID7wGk1k

Very very relevant.

Warning- language alert!

Painters

It’s the baskets that the op is questioning and NOT the carts .

Cinder
Jun '22

Did anybody call walmart corporate and complain?.. they have some real idiots running our local walmart

Bug3
Jun '22

I actually had a conversation with a walmart employee the other day and she claimed that they had hundreds of baskets but since the bag ban began people are walking off with them and not returning them (aka stealing them)

I have no reason to not believe her as it came up in natural conversation (meaning I didn't ask about the baskets, I've personally never used one)

the answer????
Jun '22

Went in Weiss the other day and forgot to bring my plastic bags . Bought one of their green cloth bags for a dollar and those things are huge !They're probably like 3 or 4 times the size of a plastic bag .Two of those in each of my vehicles and I should be all set . If I remember to bring them into the store !

97XBAM 97XBAM
Jun '22

Walmart has greeters stationed at every entrance..blue lights in the parking lot to catch thieves..its pretty obvious when someone walks out with a basket..I wonder why shoprite and weis don't have tge same issues..ooh wait...they sell cheap gricery bags to put your food in...too bad Walmart doesn't

Bug3
Jun '22

I can't see people actually taking them home. More junk laying around. Plus I'm not sure I'd be flaunting the Wal Mart logo around my home LOL. I'm sure they end up piled in the cart return in the parking lot becoming a nuisance for the person who collects the carts.

Pretty sure those greeters would rather let the ones stealing the baskets go free than try to actually stop them.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '22

I've seen a sign in one of the ShopRite about not taking the baskets out of the store.
If you forget your bags in the car, just pile it all back in the cart and wheel it out to your car and pack it there.
Not so hard.

Blackcat Blackcat
Jun '22

Yea the lack of baskets drives me nuts. I hate having using a cart, especially in Walmart. Trying to maneuver around people that take up the width of the aisle is just aggravating with a cart. Also, I haven’t seen a meeter-greeter in our Walmart in years so no one to stop you from taking it, not that they would dive at tour ankles to stop you anyway

MakoMiller1984 MakoMiller1984
Jun '22

Bug3

Walmart has cheap bags to buy for 50 cents.

dear me
Jun '22

But no baskets to carry your stuff to the self checkout

Bug3
Jun '22

If you have a bag/bags that your groceries will presumably fit into, why do you need a handbasket?

ianimal ianimal
Jun '22

That won’t look like shoplifting at all! Lol

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '22

Woman charged after failing to scan items in self-checkout at Morris County Walmart - WRNJ Radio

https://wrnjradio.com/woman-charged-after-failing-to-scan-items-in-self-checkout-at-morris-county-walmart/

Bug3
Jun '22

Bug3, wow. I get nervous self-checking because I'm afraid to miss a pack of gum and be in handcuffs. I wonder if people think it's easier now to steal because you have to bring your own bags and figure security isn't keeping an eye.

DogDayAfternoon
Jun '22

The crazy thing is that it’s only NJ that has a bag ban. Go to any other state and you’ll have plenty of plastic bags… the ban is so pointless

Ksnff
Jun '22

NY also has a bag ban. They've had it for several years, but it was temporarily suspended during covid. I'm not entirely certain about the city itself, but last time I bought something in the city, the clerk asked if I wanted a bag (for $1). I declined since it was just a shirt. Upstate NY, where I live on weekends (Catskills), definitely has the bag ban.

Rob Durana Rob Durana
Jun '22

My brother lives in the Midwest and works at a Walmart. He said their baskets have chips in them and an alarm goes off if someone tries leaving the store with one.

FarmerJake FarmerJake
Jun '22

You can get paper bags in NY

Bug3
Jun '22

Interesting... when I bought strawberries at Donaldson's the other day, they put them in... a plastic bag. Hmm...

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jun '22

Mansfield must be a low income not so great area because most other walmarts have them

Bug3
Jun '22

JR, the plastic bag ban only applies to grocery stores of a certain square footage, restaurants and department stores, not convenience stores or farm stands.

ianimal ianimal
Jun '22

Probably an incentive to try and get you to buy more stuff I would guess. I wouldn't think the bag ban would have anything to do with baskets.

Mojogo Mojogo
Jun '22

It does apply to convenience stores. Wawa and Quik Chek both are selling bags.

Tired of politics
Jun '22

You are correct, T.o.p. I thought I read that convenience stores were exempt and I rarely use them, but I had the need to visit QC today and they don't offer them.

ianimal ianimal
Jun '22

I don't think farm stands are exempt, either, ianimal. I had to carry 6 items out of Tranquility one day because I left a bag in the car.

DogDayAfternoon
Jun '22

Farm stands are exempt depending on their square footage according to Donaldson's who provides paper bags.

My daughter works full time and has been using the "shop from home" for years. After the bag ban was put into effect, she received her order in very nice reusable bags. She contacted the store and asked what she is expected to do with these bags. Does she need to return them? She was told because of health codes the store can not reuse them, so just use them for trash. She will receive 7 or 8 bags with each order, She then asked how this is helping with the bag ban. They had no answer. It makes no sense. They will accumulate just as the plastic bags did.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Jun '22

Its funny how when Amazon did home grocery delivery..they would collect their bags on yhe next visit and use them again..Amazon fresh

Bug3
Jun '22

This is funny!!oh well no more $8 baskets

https://www.nj.com/news/2022/08/customer-are-stealing-all-the-shopping-baskets-instead-of-buying-bags-nj-supermarkets-say.html

Bug3
Aug '22

Rules and exceptions https://www.nj.gov/dep/get-past-plastic/

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Aug '22

And this is why we can’t have nice things.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '22

I just go into stores with backpacks and duffle bags. Love to keep security on their toes. No laws saying I can’t pile stuff into my bags while I shop.

Steve Steve
Aug '22

I'm going to buy a van so I can steal shopping carts with my grocery purchase.

why is that Shop Rite and Targert keep baskets?????Just wonder ???

City Chick
Aug '22

Different class of people go to Walmart

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Aug '22

It's not just Walmart.
https://www.nj.com/news/2022/08/customer-are-stealing-all-the-shopping-baskets-instead-of-buying-bags-nj-supermarkets-say.html

Observer3 Observer3
Aug '22

Read the article Shop Rite is impacted as well it has nothing to do with class of people. It has to do with entitlement complexes and that unfortunately is at epidemic levels and knows no boundaries of socioeconomic status.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Aug '22

It has to do with customers with small orders having no way to carry their purchases to their cars(buying a bag is ridiculous..even 3rd world states provide free bags..and even NY allows paper bags).. the law wasn't thought out to well..so basically they created bigger expenses for grocery store than before they had to buy bags..just like theft and self checkout...and amazon and their auto scanning carts

Bug3
Aug '22

Shopping carts are falling apart, too.
I guess the next step is making it a drive through.

Stymie Stymie
Aug '22

How about this...I went into Dollar General on Main Street today to get a couple items. I look for the yellow hand held baskets and none were to be found. I take my items to the checkout register and inquire "Do you have the yellow hand held baskets anymore?" The reply "nope", so I ask why..."cause they all got stolen".
Really??? How does that happen when the checkout is 6 feet from the door and the employee is right there??? I know the answer to that one...
So you think Dollar General is making a profit when you cannot carry your items to the register...guess the State and corporate never expected this.
Any way does anyone know if this Dollar General is corporate owned or do they franchise them out?
Ours barely meets the minium health standards...do you think DG even cares
???
Taking my shopping and cash elsewhere...

Towny Towny
Sep '22

Stanhope and Newton Dollar General stores are messy as well . The only clean squared away one I've ever been in is the one in Washington . I never needed a basket as it is a store for only picking up a few things when you don't need to go to a bigger store . I'm not surprised people took the baskets since they put in the self checkout the cashier is often stocking shelves with nobody behind the counter . Don't miss their yellow plastic bags because they had a weird smell .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Sep '22

This issue about stolen baskets is disappointing… but it really boils down to the 80/20 rule… 20% of the population screwed it up for 80% … just saying… just disappointing

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Sep '22

I see it as the governor over reacting to litterbugs . Most people put their plastic shopping bags into a bigger plastic trash bag along with their other plastic garbage and it gets picked up by sanitation and is taken to a landfill in PA . If sealife is getting killed by plastic garbage bags it's from littering pigs .Of course switching to paper bags never occured to governor knows it all .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Sep '22

save the turtles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNJ2gNDf1Qg

Wegmans put an end to its self-checkout app Wegmans SCAN app on Sunday, Sept. 18.

“Unfortunately, the losses we are experiencing prevent us from continuing to make it available in its current state,” the company wrote in a statement. “We’ve made the decision to turn off the app until we can make improvements that will meet the needs of our customers and business.”

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Sep '22

Big surprise the app wasn't working out...

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: No more baskets at Walmart?
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.