Annoying Bowl & Basket product migration at Shoprite

I'm getting annoyed with this Shoprite strategy of dropping, or significantly reducing, some of my favorite brands for their own Bowl & Basket brand. More and more shelf space is being taken over by Bowl & Basket items. I was just reading that "we are talking about converting 4,000 SKUs to Bowl & Basket". I have tried some of their replacements which I didn't like at all. Shoprite is also developing their Paperbird brand for household products.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Apr '22

I know you are OnTheEdge, but hopefully it doesn't push you over the edge. I do see your point, however.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Apr '22

I've liked the ones I've tried, so there's that......

DogDayAfternoon
Apr '22

I agree. When they stopped carrying Luigi Vitelli pasta I contacted the company to ask why they were not supplying their pasta to Shoprite anymore. They answered it was Shoprite's decision as they wanted to push their own brand. UGH.

emerald
Apr '22

I don't like most of the ones I've tried. When returns are allowed I have unopened Bowl and Basket items that I will be returning.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Apr '22

love their ground coffees - no problem either finding what I need or trying new - with the possible exception of the paper napkins - that are rather flimsy

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '22

Mrs. Pipes, I thought you could return now. If I’m wrong theres a ShopRite on Freemansburg Ave in PA that might take it. I bought something in a NJ Target that wasn’t returnable in NJ during the lockdown. but a PA Target accepted the return.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '22

As long as they don’t replace Hellmann’s, I’ve liked their brands. When I saw there was no Tyson chicken, I asked the guy stocking shelves and he informed me that the “new” Bowl and Basket chicken IS Tyson. I suspect a lot of their brands (if not all) are manufactured by well known companies.

Local Gal Local Gal
Apr '22

Local Gal. The B&B Mayo is one of the items I want to return. I tried a jar and really disliked the consistency. Another is their Lasagna Pasta. Same thing, I tried it and disliked. Their coffee was okay and their potato chips were okay. Paper bird Napkins are flimsy. Chicken I haven't tried their brand.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Apr '22

Re: Annoying Bowl & Basket product migration at Shoprite

various flavors like this - really good - at least for those of us who like a strong brew

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '22

Why not just donate the unopened goods you don't care for instead of the hassle of waiting for them to accept returns.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '22

It’s just an “off price” option.
If the brand names (ex. Hellman’s) creep up in price, try Walmart or Weis.
Certain items are cheaper at the other stores
Croutons,half and half, crackers, cereal-Walmart
Jalapeños, cookies, Dollar Store.
Chinese mustard, Some produce, sometimes meat-Weis.
Produce-Asian shop across from Budd Lake (forgot the name)
I have no problem spreading my shopping around.
It’s kinda like a game-Supermarket Sweep?
They’re so close together- why not?
Most important-shop off of a list.

Stymie Stymie
Apr '22

JrzyGirl, if they were unopened, how would they know they didn't like them? Sounds like they WERE opened. In any case, donating is nice, but maybe the people on this forum need that money. Not everybody is wealthy. Many people live paycheck to paycheck in this town and state.

IncelsGoHome
Apr '22

@IncelsGoHome

"When returns are allowed I have unopened Bowl and Basket items that I will be returning." (Mrs. Pipes above post)

Sounds like YOU didn't read the post properly. Trust me I am very much aware that not everyone is wealthy, it was just a simple suggestion rather than keep food that could expire but thank you for trying to school me.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '22

I don't mind Bowl and Basket for the most part, with one exception...the TP.

The old Shop Rite version of TP was not only cheaper, but also better quality, the B&B brand TP is like sandpaper, which not exactly what you need for backside excavation.

Other than that, I find most B&B brand items are generally OK, and they help save a buck or two.

onlyonetruth onlyonetruth
Apr '22

Written answer below from Tyson regarding the point raised above that the Bowl & Basket chicken is Tyson:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding Bowl & Basket fresh chicken. It is always a pleasure to hear from a consumer who will take the time and interest to contact us; therefore, we place a special value on comments such as yours.

The brand Bowl & Basket is one of many Tyson products. But, please know that Shoprite does not use Tyson chicken exclusively. There is the possibility of their products coming from more than one provider."

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Apr '22

Unfortunately as margins get squeezed private label is the future for retail in general not just Shoprite. It is already a prominent practice in foodservice for years. When you go out to eat you dont realize it but 50% of your meal or more likely contains private label products.

Private label is typically made by national companies but not always ones you may recognize. Many cases they are a 1 TO 1 shelf replacement for a common brand.

As an example B&B seltzer is likely made by Vintage. Very often the formulas or spec are not changed unless a company like Shoprite wants something cheaper or different. Usually in order to be approved the specifications have to be at least equal to or better than the companies own label.

JG…….You made an excellent point. Private label has been around for years. I remember packaging that was called “plain wrap” or “generic” They were literally plain white boxes with black print.

Local Gal Local Gal
Apr '22

Piggying back on JG's explanation with my addition that the only reason why most of you are noticing the private labels of national companies (that's been in practice for years) because of the Inflation, Shipping issues, & Wage increases/costs of late. that's SQUEEZING their profit MARGINS on their Brand name products.

So, they have only these choices. 1) To maintain the product's exact quality level and/or ingredients, they have to push the increased cost to the consumer. {But since that will only go so far}; 2) Pass on a similar product missing an ingredient or quality level to a private label {While keeping their name off the label in case of any bad product feedback); 3) All along at a slight cheaper price to keep the customers happy and maintain their Market share.

...As the "Supermarket Sweep" game (or national brand maintenance) carries on - - until the Economy's next cycle or food chain preference of the consumers.

I too am annoyed and have begun to purchase more and more at the competitor. All I can say is watch out for the Bowl and Basket shredded cheese. It really stinks!

TiredOfIt TiredOfIt
Apr '22

I tried to return a greeting card I didn't use, had the receipt, card was still in the original packaging - they would not take it - said they are not taking any returns. crazy!

shopper shopper
Apr '22

SR prices are now paridity to Weis and Weis is generally less crowded. ahhh, Walmart is filthy and they don’t have allot of product selections.

Steve Davis Steve Davis
Apr '22

Almost forgot, if you belong to Amizon they have name brands generally lower in price and they deliver.

Steve Davis Steve Davis
Apr '22

i would share my opinions with shop rite management. you'd be surprised how much weight people carry with management. a simple polite letter can accomplish a lot

friendly mcface friendly mcface
Apr '22

If you want to contact local shoprite management

https://shop.shoprite.com/globaldata/banner-pages/member-pages/ronetco-supermarkets-inc

Bug3
Apr '22

From peoples comments it seems that product in the new designed packages are different from what was in the SR packages? I’m thinking new, smaller, packages, same product.
From a design standpoint the layout, colors, fonts, are all drab and unappealing, and way too similar to each other.

Roywhite Roywhite
Apr '22

"You usually get what you pay for" and that goes for Bowl and Basket too!

dissatisfiedshopper
Apr '22

First of all Shoprite should not have change every product to Bowl and Basket, some of those products are nasty. Use to buy Shoprite brand Onion soup mix in the brown box the best ever, even better than the name brand. Came to buy it again and there was none had to buy bowl and basket, it is horrible the worse thing I have ever tasted, it
has no flavor at all, food is bland.
Please bring Shoprite brand back, I don't believe you guys evaluated this thoroughly!!!
There are some things that are good from bowl and basket, but not all.

I doubt shop rite product selectors will see complaints here - Try this. https://www.shoprite.co.za/help-centre/i-have-a-specific-questionsuggestioncomplaint-who-can-i-speak-to

4catmom 4catmom
Dec '22

I'm sure putting in a complaint with the shoprite chain in South Africa will get the message across to the NJ Based chain.

Route 46
Dec '22

What are the chances the packages and products where both changed? I think it was just the package design.

Roywhite Roywhite
Dec '22

The bottom line, "Bowl & Basket and Paperbird, introduced for the first time in 2019, supplanted the ShopRite label for national-brand equivalent items...which generally provide retailers with higher margins than branded counterparts...."

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Dec '22

I think they did change some ingrediants

https://hudsonvalleypost.com/shoprite-announces-more-major-changes-to-brand-name-products/

Bug3
Dec '22

Rumor has it Shop Rite is going to rename it's stores to Bowl and Basket.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Dec '22

nothing but bowl and basket milk now....wonder if cows involved in the production...

zentravl zentravl
Dec '22

You jnow in thinking about it, beyond alliteration, does a bowl and a basket even belong together? Where’s the plate?

Babbit Babbit
Dec '22

"Bowl and Basket" describes the two primary components of a salad spinner, but I'm not sure that's what they were going for...

ianimal ianimal
Dec '22

Found an article that said “ingredients that bring people together…. From our basket to your bowl”

They also said “To ensure shoppers bowls are always full and baskets are overflowing with meals…..”

But I’m not really sure how ingredients bring people together. Sounds like marketing rhetoric

Local Gal Local Gal
Dec '22

Well it used to be a thing that families sat down for dinner together. Nowadays that can be hard for some of us. :(

Sirya
Dec '22

I remember my mom use to buy us ShopRite brand iced t powder mix when I was a kid (late 80s-early 90s). It was twice as good as the next best one (4c). It’s been years since I’ve had iced t mix but I was wondering, do they still sell it? Is it the same formula?

Another item which was better than the leading brand was their ShopRite fruit-on-the-bottom yogurt. In the past 5 years or so, I’ve only ever seen the low-fat version which I do not like. That regular FOTB yogurt was the BEST I’ve ever had.

Consigliere
Dec '22

Shop Rite fudge cookies!

Roywhite Roywhite
Dec '22

They just like alliterative names I think.

How about that Paperbird line? When I think of paper and birds, it’s about lining a cage…..

And for the trifecta, it seems that Wholesome Market spot on makes sense. Or does it? Is it whole or is it some? These people can’t make up their minds.

Well, that’s marketing for you!

Happy holidays! To you and yours.

Babbit Babbit
Dec '22

Bottom line we need a different type of store to compete,a better one. They’re not giving us to many options with the Bowl basket thing.
Pretty soon they’ll change the store name to bowl and basket instead of ShopRite

visited the Newton SR recently....everything changed, moved around...seemed haphazardly squeezed spaces to carry more items...not a pleasant experience...not my friendly go-to store anymore...many former reliable items no longer there, in favor of Bowl/Basket cheapery.....

zentravl zentravl
Dec '22

Shop Rite has little competition in this area so there’s not much for them to really care about. I do not do my weekly shopping there but many people do out of convenience. There needs to be some serious competition for them to start to care. The Washington store is corporate owned and is the worst example of a grocery store that serves an entire community.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Dec '22

I'm trying to move away from Shoprite for most of my shopping needs. It's not easy, but doable. Shoprite is no longer a good shopping experience for me. IMHO their B&B products leave a lot to be desired. Their elimination of other brand products is a mistake. Because I will now travel further to have a better Supermarket shopping experience I will shop less often. Shopping less often is good for me since I won't be stopping into the local Shoprite several times a week for one or two items and picking up "extra" items I really didn't need to purchase. It will be a Win for Me to travel a bit further, but a loss for Shoprite because I will go there far less often. At least one friend will be joining me for this new adventure. A side note: I buy G&G skim milk at Target for $3.29 or $3.39 a gallon. It's almost a $1.00 more per gallon for Shoprite's milk.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Dec '22

I always found it funny that SR brand frozen pizza cost twice as much as the name brand Ellio's did.

ianimal ianimal
Dec '22

Mrs. Pipes, where do you go? I don't care for Weis or Walmart, so I'm limited to Shoprite.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Dec '22

Ian, start looking at the costs between SR eggs and Egglands Best. Dumbfounding.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Dec '22

3wb: lots of egg production problems including avian flu. prices up 40% or more.

Babbit Babbit
Dec '22

FWIW, I bought a Bowl & Basket frozen pizza last week and realized that it was the same exact pizza as the frozen Tree Tavern brand. So they're doing some relabeling of existing brands and products just FYI, and not having them manufactured to their own formulations.

Reginald
Jan '23

Reginald — tree tavern is actually a small family owned local-to-NJ business. They use no artificial ingredients and are vegetarian safe. Great pizzas! I don’t think bowl and basket is using their pizzas for their store brand… If only because I recently tried a B&B pizza and it was so revolting I couldn’t finish it. It doesn’t look like tree tavern has sold out their company or anything like that, perhaps shoprite is trying to copy their pie, though not doing well at it.

THE bowl 7 basket Multigrain 'italian ' bread is Very good. $2.99 a loaf.

And, FWIW, do u really think that name brands shut down their production line to reload with lesser ingredients for Bowl & Basket? I don't think so.

Maybe they use different production lines for bowl and basket...

Bug3
Jan '23

Years ago, I worked at the Tetley Tea plant in Morris Plains, now long gone. They were contracted by several grocery chains to make their iced mix and package it and label it on their lines.

So, Bowl and Basket could be made by a major manufacturer on their extra production lines, but with raw ingredients determined by the company buying the product.

There was not a version of any store brand Tetley packaged that was remotely close to the Tetley Tea brand, they just had the capacity to make and package the product based on formulations given by the outside grocery chain.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Jan '23

I worked in the printing/package business. Packers are routinely hired to produce other companies products. The packers use the 2nd companies ingredients and recipes. The products and physical package may resemble each other but the taste, quality and graphics will be different. Pabst and Sam Adams are 2 well known companies that use other vendors to produce their products.

Roywhite Roywhite
Jan '23

Interesting TRA. Do you know if that classic ShopRite brand iced t was made by tetley? That stuff was awesome

Consigliere
Jan '23

I noted SR is still selling some Shoprite Trading Company products; sort of like B&B from other countries :<)

Just a few items so maybe once done, they will convert.

Babbit Babbit
Jan '23

I miss the old plain black and white generic items

Bug3
Jan '23

Kat, the bowl and basket frozen pizza certainly is the same as Tree Tavern. You may have gotten the wrong one, there is another thin crust version. I got the standard. I even checked the ingredient list, it's exactly the same. Same taste, same cheddar cheese, same crust, same everything.

Shoprite must be doing contracts with producers under their own name for economies of scale. Trader Joe's does this too.

Reginald
Jan '23

hopefully the loss of generic did not lose the price point but I think that's the potential SR issue. They are extremely price competitive so I imagine they got it covered.

SR I am sure has many "deals" to private label. I think they "own" a city in Italy to produce all those Italian products. I find it amazing the partnership where SR does all the labeling, may specify product, but the Italians then produce. How much Italian farmland goes into the sauce SR sells. And I am pretty sure the Italian product is muchly Italian specified. On other products I would gather it's either: cloned, knock-off that's not exact, or SR specified. I figure they use all models.

They have been private labeling for some time, have much experience at diversifying their multiple private label lines, and while B&B represents a consolidation of maybe a half dozen SR private label lines, I imagine they will add new lines in the future as they wax and wane though the private label jungle.

I was never much of a generic guy, but definitely dabble with the private labels, love the International.

Babbit Babbit
Jan '23

Artichoke hearts in the 1 lb 4 oz glass jar have not been on the shelves lately and I checked four different ShopRites. I really don't care for Centro. Is there a reason why they're not being sold anymore.

Roxie Grippo Roxie Grippo
Jul '23

Roxie - I bought that product about a week ago in Mansfield...

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '23

Bowl & Basket soups are very good. Even the seafood ones, surprisingly. Maybe I shouldn’t have posted this on a 90 degree day:-)

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Jul '23

But the sealed mozzarella cheese? I don’t know if it was an isolated incident or what but the Bowl and Basket mozzarella cheese was two different shades of….ummm…cream? Milk? It didn’t taste real! It was disgusting! Now I’m afraid to buy another one. Weis is becoming more popular. I used to love pre-Covid SR brand. I knew that they didn’t have their own peanut butter, soups etc factories and, for the most part, a major company was making their SR brand foods. I wish they’d dump the Bowl and Basket crap. Ok….they can keep the darned soup.

Sep '23

I avoid bowl and basket like the plague - ruined so many things- really miss the little snap dragon apples they used to have - when it became their brand - the apples were tasteless- just one example - ugh

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '23

"Bowl and Basket" is just a name that has nothing to do with the actual quality of the products. If there's a problem, it's because they changed the suppliers of the "store brand" items they sell, which would have happened whether they "rebranded" or not...

ianimal ianimal
Sep '23

Maybe SR should change “ the suppliers of the store brand”, which happens to be branded as “ Bowl and Basket”, as the thread implies, back to original supplier(s). There are other grocery stores that were able to avoid “the suppliers” of B & B. SR should use their purchasing model. I think I’ll just let the mystery be and stick with Weis, for “store brand” items.

Sep '23

Labels are so similar I bought salad dressing (like miracle wip) instead of mayo.

Roywhite Roywhite
Sep '23

I don't know why the products are 'annoying', but yet to have a problem seeing or using any of them.

DogDayAfternoon
Sep '23

Dogday... I find them to be quite comparable in my usage. - cookies, canned veggies, butter, soups,and other items.

DogDay

I think why some people are “annoyed” is that some of their favorite brands have been removed from the shelves and Bowl and Basket brand appeared in its place. And in many cases, not the same quality.

Local Gal Local Gal
Sep '23

ShopRite Bowl & Basket products is simply a label change. Quality of the products has not diminished. All ShopRite and Bowl & Basket products are sold satisfaction guaranteed or your money back. All Bowl & Basket products feature A ShopRite brand and quality assured on the packaging.

Duke
Sep '23

@Duke: it may be, or not, that it was a simple label change from SR labels. BUT, you have taken (or are taking) thousands of SKUs off the shelves of brand products that were not Shoprite and replacing them with Bowl and Basket. My original post said, "More and more shelf space is being taken over by Bowl & Basket items. I was just reading that "we are talking about converting 4,000 SKUs to Bowl & Basket".

"Excluding the pandemic-driven boom in 2020, ShopRite parent Wakefern Food Corp. posted its largest sales gain over the last five years in fiscal 2022.....Another core objective, Colalillo Wakefern Chairman and CEO Joseph Colalillo said: growing Wakefern’s Bowl & Basket, Wholesome Pantry and Paperbird private labels and sharpening promotions and pricing. On the private-brand side, Wakefern in March had announced plans for Own Brands Supplier Innovation Summit to bolster its roster of sourcing partners for Bowl & Basket and Wholesome Pantry. "

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Sep '23

I like most SR brands beyond the basic generic (which I am not sure they even have now), and do not shop the store so have not seen a shelf in a long time.

The B&B has been hit and miss, mostly hit. I find it superior to generic brand and often just under brand label in taste/quality so for the price, a good deal. I really like the SR Trading Company (international) products which really were based on other countries' kitchens. They are folding in and can't find them now.

I did have an issue with their B&B burgers, the first ones, one 1/3lb, another 1/4lb, but the third 1/3lb sucked. Less expensive and tasted like it. I think maybe they have two different 1/3lb-ers and will know before I try one again. But most often, seems like a pretty good lower price brand label alternative.

But I certainly would not clear the shelf for them

My SR pet peeve is: why can't you stock bran muffins in the bakery? I mean I can understand running out, but 4 times in a month? It's as if they don't want to make money....

babbit babbit
Sep '23

OnTheEdge you do realize that grocery store shelf space is valuable. National brands compete for the best space. The grocery store house brands have priority for stock keeping units. It is at the discretion of the grocery companies to decide what national brands get better shelf space. This is not even going into horizontal or vertical shelf space to get better shelf visibility. As I stated previously If a product does not satisfy you return it to the place of purchase for a refund.

Duke
Sep '23

The Bowl & Basket products were awarded for quality by the Vertex industry of experts from around the world.

Duke
Sep '23

Honestly, I'm not impressed by any award they might win. I need to find my brand names, and I'm tired of having to shop at four or five different places to get them.

Courtney1 Courtney1
Sep '23

I agree with Courtney. When I can't find something I have purchased for years that they no longer carry, I end up ordering it from Amazon. I don't have the energy or strength any more to run around from store to store, so it's just easier to order on-line. And that's a vicious cycle that ends up causing our local businesses to suffer. And I end up paying more for the product I prefer.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Sep '23

Vertex Awards: awards for "package design".

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Sep '23

Amazon can and can not be more expensive. Just click Shoprite ap for comparison. Basically shipping is free, or the more you order, they less each ship costs. Often the prices are better, and now you can return in a snap at Staples and other places. Yes, Amazon is now helping Staples, UPS, and others stores survive in Hackettstown. I gotta tell ya, when I order two tubes of Neosporin, get a great price, and then two trucks roll up, each with one $3 tube ---- I just shake my head and wonder, but there it is.

"local businesses suffer." Maybe. First, our small businesses already take the blow of the big box, not sure how much Amazon increases that. Many compete well with big business and rejective Amazon will not change any of that. Second, Amazon drivers are often "small business," not Amazon owned. Third, I believe NJ has 17 Amazon distribution centers and 3 Fulfillment Centers and 30 warehouses. They employ close to 60,000 NJians and average pay is $88K. Yes, small business, and big business face severe Amazon competition just like Walmart before it. But big business hires local too. Perhaps the difference is the owner of small business is local, yet I am an Amazon owner too and I live local......

babbit babbit
Sep '23

bowl and basket can be translated as subpar

jasper jasper
Sep '23

Babbitt, where you getting that average warehouse Amazon salary from?

Not the Shoprite hourly is a major difference, but can you really feel comfortable having two drivers making a delivery for two little items? That just seems so wasteful to me

Illo
Sep '23

There are SO many bowl and basket products I will NEVER purchase again due to very poor quality. Their frozen shrimp and fish is water logged and just nasty. The mayo is greasy. It seems their logic is to raise the prices of brand named products to the point that people purchase bowl and basket because it is just not as ridiculously priced as the brand names. The "fresh" chicken" is so fatty that for every package I purchase, I have to remove about a pound of fat. Very, very unhappy with Shoprite brand.

ccbw
Sep '23

Illo, sorry, did respond, not sure where it went.

yes, felt bad, but did not know at the time of order. does not stop me from ordering again. I mean a-zon drivers are small businesses, not a-zon. that's the secret of how they could rival UPS and FEDEX overnight, small business initiative. and when I can order at 3pm and it turns up by 2pm the next day, I am not sure I can get to Walmart that fast....

babbit babbit
Sep '23

Personally, when ShopRite switched to the inferior Bowl and Basket product line, I learned to shop elsewhere for certain products that were replaced by that line. Now, I'm reading about ShopRite store closings in certain areas. Not surprised.

Interesting, ND. I had not heard of any ShopRite store closings. In fact I do a ton of work for a company that owns a few hundred ShopRite and they are either building new or renovating dozens of stores currently as well as buying other supermarkets and rebranding to SR. As a matter of fact we just met and went over the plans for a new SR being built currently in Old Bridge.

Where were the store closings? Just curious.

"Wakefern Food Corp.’s ShopRite banner has revealed that it will close five stores and gas stations in the metropolitan area surrounding Albany, N.Y., commonly referred to as the Capital Region. The stores, located in Albany, Colonie, Niskayuna, Slingerlands and North Greenbush, are set to shutter on or around Dec. 9."

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Nov '23

Ah so those stores are all in one area in Albany and first tier suburbs. They've been in that region only about 10 years. So there's either other competition that doesn't allow for targeted profits, or blighted areas that simply can't support another supermarket. So clearly some store closings have nothing to do with the Bowl & Basket brand not being up to par as some perceive.
In addition, if you read further in some of the articles, Wakefern as I stated are on a strategic plan of buying other grocers as well as building new multi-million dollar supermarkets and the like in the tri-state and beyond area.

Greg. You work for a company that owns hundreds of ShopRites? Really? No ShopRite company owns hundreds of stores. Wakefern Food Corporation is the umbrella company that supplies ShopRite supermarkets and other stores such as PriceRite markets. ShopRite supermarkets are members of Wakefern . Each store or group of stores is individually owned and operated.

duke
Nov '23

You misunderstood. I work for a company that conducts work at ShopRite et al stores. I understand how the stores are owned and what role Wakefern plays.They are essentially a cooperative.The company we do work for has the retail locations. I've worked in dozens and dozens of their locations thus far. I misspoke
by lumping all in together as"ShopRite". Some locations while still selling Wakefern products are under different names. I as most use ShopRite interchangeable with Wakefern. This includes non public food preparation and distribution centers as well.

I AM also annoyed at the monopoly as well as the quality. Not better than one brand, they have replaced, including the meats. Very watered down and tasteless. Ugh

NonBowl Basket Monop NonBowl Basket Monop
Nov '23

I agree with people that feel many of the B&B products are inferior. The first B&B products seemed very good but now with this big push not so much. The mayo is gross, green beans had stems in it and their potatoes (all brands) are just awful and have been for a few years. The butter and milk are ok. I feel like I do pretty good with Walmart and Weis in house products.

KAWC92 KAWC92
Nov '23

Another B&B product to stay away from is their frozen cheese tortellini. A good portion of them were empty pasta, no filling and absolutely no taste.

ccbw
Nov '23

The B&B frozen vegetables are terrible. Broccoli & cauliflower are the only ones I buy. The others seem "old" (picked too late).

tmb6123 tmb6123
Nov '23

Store brand broccoli sucks no matter what the store is... there are always super-woody stalks in there.

ianimal ianimal
Nov '23

I have tried many of the bowl and basket products. Some are okay but I've noticed the products seem to spoil quickly. I have thrown away bags of arugula that went bad days before the expiration date, milk, ground pork (was spoiled when I opened it), and recently pie crusts that smelled questionable when I opened them. Not sure how that's saving money.

Sandra Schultz Sandra Schultz
Dec '23

Always bring products back to the point of purchase if they do not meet your expectations or in this case not even the expiration dates. At least you would get a refund as with the soaring food prices (and everything else) you will not suffer the loss of money and the product.

Has anyone else been having a disdainful feeling with Bowl and Basket chicken thighs.
I bought it because they had no Perdue which is what I like. I seasoned it well and in cooking it, I find it bubbles and just looks nasty (so sorry) I eventually turned the stove off. It's just not appetizing to look at. It's the thigh, for God's sake, and cleaning it is a mess, it's stringy. No way can I eat it. I hate throwing food out, but I plan to find a friend who doesn't mind it. NO MORE BUYING BOWL AND BASKET CHICKEN ! Does anyone ellse have a problem with the THIGHS??

B&B jumbo shrimp are regular. Regular shrimp are salad..... It's ok, but just saying.

DBrown: try Purdue Farms, like Omaha Steaks, but chicken. Funny, it's frozen and better than the fresh in the stores. Really nice people to talk to, like a start-up.

To get free shipping, you need about 30lbs so better have a freezer.

More expensive, but can get some deals on the promo's and sales. Best chicken I have had. I am still testing the breaded, but it may be better too. Flash frozen and never gets even a bit warm like store brands might in handling. Beef is really expensive but I got really great ribeyes at half price that were really tasty.

I think Shrimp are properly labelled at ShopRite: From the Fulton Fish Market -

HOW ARE SHRIMP SIZED?
Colossal (16-20) & Super Colossal (8-12, 13-15)

Shrimp Size

Colossal shrimp average about 16 to 20 shrimp per one-pound bag. You will get 4-5 shrimp per serving and they come in at about 0.75 oz per shrimp.

Super colossal shrimp are the largest shrimp in the market. You will get anywhere from 8 to 15 shrimp per 1 lb bag and 2-3 shrimp per serving. This comes out to around one shrimp per ounce.

Jumbo (21-25, 26-30)

Shrimp Size

In a one-pound bag, you get anywhere from 21 to 30 jumbo shrimp. You get from 5-7 shrimp per 3oz serving and each individual shrimp weighs about half an ounce.

Medium run anywhere from 41 to 60 shrimp per one-pound bag. This is about 10 to 15 shrimp per 3 oz serving and 0.23 oz per shrimp.
Large shrimp are about 31 to 40 shrimp per pound making for about 8 or 9 shrimp per serving. Each individual shrimp weighs about 0.33 oz.
Small (71-90)

Shrimp Size

For small shrimp, you usually get anywhere from 71 to 90 shrimp per one-pound bag. This equates to about 18 shrimp per standard 3 oz serving, meaning that each individual shrimp weighs about 0.17 oz.

How about those 5-lb bags of Bowl and Basket potatoes on sale this week for 99c. I couldn’t find one bag that didn’t have bad potatoes in it. They will be stuck with hundreds of unsold bags.

happiest girl
February 29th

I'm not a fan of many of the Shop Rite bowl and basket products. However on a positive note I was very pleased with the frozen breaded Flounder I purchased recently. The product comes in individually vacuum sealed packets and when baked it turned out to be delicious.

happiest girl, I have found the exact same thing every time I tried to buy their potatoes, onions or navel oranges. I don't even bother anymore trying them. Very disappointing. I really miss the old Shoprite brand.

Happiest girl: That is why they were 5lbs for .99. You probably would have gotten around 3lbs of good potatoes at a price of .33/lb. A good deal!

I go to the Verdi market in Budd Lake on 46 - they have good prices & everything is very fresh compared to Shop Rite.

EVV — no, wouldn’t want to do that. Old potatoes are not healthy to eat.

happiest girl
March 8th

The potatoes at ShopRite #434 were fine as was the other produce. Bad produce at one store does not mean all of the stores have bad produce.

You can sure tell who the Shoprite employees are.

HGirl: Got B&B potatoes at $2, russet, and they were not only perfect, half large, half small for diversity.... and very fresh which was a blessing this time of year. Hardly an eye in the bunch. Washington SR.

I did not pick it, I used pick-up and they picked it. I will say the pickers seem quite good; I think I pick more questionable fruits n veges than they do, and I am very picky.

babbit - the issue is with the Mansfield shoprite. Very poor quality for many of the vegetables and fruits.

happiest girl
March 18th

Did anyone find that the free turkey for Thanksgiving was awful? Every year we get the free turkey from ShopRite and this past year it was the Bowl and Basket brand instead. It was absolutely the worst turkey we've ever had.

I pick what I want - never bowl and basket--- actually kosher ones taste the best...

4catmom 4catmom
March 18th

I thought the turkey tasted great! I always pick a small one - 10 lbs as I think they are more tender anyway. Just picked up a Kosher chicken from Shop Rite yesterday so I hope it's good!

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.