Needs Legal Assistant for Divorce

Young woman is in the process of divorcing but has no legal representation. Her husband comes from a wealthy family and has a trust fund. The young woman is an immigrant from Columbia. She has a job but only makes enough to pay the bills. Is there anywhere she can get free or discounted legal assistance.

Thank you.

Try this resource.

https://www.lsnj.org/

Or she can find another wealthy suitor! LOL. Just kidding... I'm sure it's a tough situation.

She should just go to a divorce lawyer for a free consultation. The lawyer will take care of chasing the wealthy husband's lawyer for her legal funds. If they haven't been married long, it's doubtful she'll leave the marriage with much. She should ask for a paid education and strive for a better job. Good luck.

maja2 maja2
Jan '22

United Way helps people n general and will track down the right resources depending on the situation:

https://www.unitedwaynnj.org/

Depending on what the situation is, the local Women's Shelter may also be a resource:

https://www.dasacc.org/
Hotline: 908.453.4181

Why play the 'immigrant / crap job' card?

Why does she deserve his money?

Why should she get 'free' legal?

Why should the husband be 'chased' to pay for her legal?

Why should she get a free education?

A divorce should be easy- each person gets what they brought into it / put into it, built in it.

Nobody on either side should ever be entitled to something that isn't theirs, that they didn't earn, build, create.

You get out of this world what you put into it- earn your way, be self sufficient and take care of yourself. That's the natural truth. Anything else is a social constraint.

A+ Josh

Oh brother Oh brother
Jan '22

Josh must be divorced. Lol.

Cooldude Cooldude
Jan '22

The hacker gets his.

Mason Mason
Jan '22

Oh Brother must be divorced too, lol

glitzie glitzie
Jan '22

Glitzie,
Yes I am divorced
I am a woman
I got nothing when I got divorced
And I agree with Josh.

Oh brother Oh brother
Jan '22

I also agree with Josh. However neither party should be responsible for bills incurred by the other partner. My son was divorced by his wife who cheated on him. Their credit cards were in both their names therefore considered marital debt. She charged the vast majority of debt, if not all. But he was found responsible and ordered to pay half. He had records to prove most of the debt was hers. But the law considers it marital debt and both share equal responsibility for it. That in my opinion is no more fair than one partner walking away with more than they contributed. The laws need to change to fit each individual case.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Jan '22

Recently divorced - it was fair and I feel the best option is 1 lawyer and talk it out as per the law on the books. Going to court over this and that is silly.

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Jan '22

I agree with Josh. I'm divorced and didn't take anything from my spouse. I didn't think I was entitled to things from the rest of his life because I divorced him. Do I regret it sometimes? Oh yeah, but right is right. I didn't take alimony, retirement, and blah blah. Some people figure it's a woman and she'll go right for the knees, but some of us don't. We just move on and don't make a huge fuss.

DogDayAfternoon
Jan '22

People should stay unmarried and therefore no legal contract, which, like it or not, marriage is a legal contract, or get a prenup. Problem solved.

maja2 maja2
Jan '22

maja2, but then when / if they break up, it's messier, especially if they buy a house together and so on. LOL- I've seen enough Judge Judy to hear her lecture on 'playing house' and has no sympathy for trying to unravel things with no recourse. Marriage is great, but getting out of it can be terrible for a lot of people.

DogDayAfternoon
Jan '22

By “Colombian” does that mean not a citizen? I was under the impression that once you marry, you become a citizen. Either way, I have to agree with Josh here. Seeking out a free attorney to get something you didn’t earn isn’t right.

Consigliere
Jan '22

Does she have a child with this man? That changes the entire game.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Jan '22

You just never know what the opposing party is seeking . She may want nothing , but has to still protect her assets . People get cruel when angry . Even if the requests from the opposing side are ridiculous. Why are we assuming she wants all this, she may have a spouse that is requesting unreasonable requests. You still have to protect your financial future.

glitzie glitzie
Jan '22

Also, I don’t think the race should have been me mentioned . Lots of non immigrants have low income.

glitzie glitzie
Jan '22

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Needs Legal Assistant for Divorce
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.