Gas fireplace question (troubleshooting or no problem?)

Hi. If your gas fireplace usually shows a blue pilot light, but the last day or so, has some occasional yellow/orange flickers - is that a problem? I didn't want to contact someone for nothing. The stove is fine and blue, but didn't know if the really cold weather makes the pilot light a little 'off'.

Thanks in advance. I googled and so on, but would rather hear from people who actually have one or have the same issue.

Thanks a second time! LOL

DogDayAfternoon
Jan '22

Found this

When the flame’s color changes to red, yellow, or green, it means that something else has entered into the gas and is burning along with the methane. It could be rust, excess air in the system, oil, dirt, and grime. These can give off toxic chemical when they burn, so you need to have repair right away. A yellow pilot light can also mean that there is a carbon monoxide leak.

NJDad NJDad
Jan '22

Thanks, NJ Dad, but I did Google. It's not a constant yellow, green, or orange. I wanted to see if others have this issue right now because of frigid temps. It's blue flame, but flickering a little spurts of yellow now and then.

Didn't know if any others have gas fireplaces or a gas expert (plumber) etc on here.

Thanks again to anyone, as well.

DogDayAfternoon
Jan '22

Are you using a humidifiers in the house? It can change the color of the gas flame.

Josepcan Josepcan
Jan '22

Interesting, Josepcan. No, but I was going to for sinuses. Thank you.

DogDayAfternoon
Jan '22

Few things I do every year or 2 in my gas fireplace. I remove all the logs and rock wool. Then vacuum out the firebox. Then I use compressed air to clean out the pilot and any place the gas comes out. Finally I use a dollar bill to clean up the igniter and flame rod.

Sacks cousin
Jan '22

Wow, Sacks cousin. You really know how to do it, but....I'm afraid that not only can't I get the glass front off, but dealing with gas --yikes. Not sure if that's a chimney sweep company thing or gas company/plumber that deals with gas or what. It's a blue flame that just has bits of yellow flickering now and then. I guess I'm just used to all blue. Didn't know if frigid temps or people in the other condos also using a lot of gas for heating the furnaces and so on affect it. I have no idea. Thank you for the response. Kudos to your DIY abilities!

DogDayAfternoon
Jan '22

Thanks to this thread, I have just now looked more closely at my pilot light than I have before. Yes, it is mostly blue but every couple of seconds there is a flicker of yellow or orange. I imagine this to be "normal", but then, what do I know.

The color of the flame has a lot to do with the air/ gas mixture . The last couple of days it has been a little breezy and it could be just a little bit of a down draft through the exhaust pipe/ chimney. Also maybe check any intake vents for the fireplace .coul be blocked or just dusty. . A plumber would be my first person I would call if needed

Dadof3
Jan '22

Thank you all. I appreciate the comments and information so far.

DogDayAfternoon
Jan '22

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Gas fireplace question (troubleshooting or no problem?)
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.