pouring clear liquids with low vision

pouring clear liquids with low vision

I always get great feedback from this forum so here is another issue. My mother has macular degeneration. She can still see somewhat. One of her challenges is pouring boiling water into a coffee cup. I have tried finding cups that have a contrasting ring on the lip but with thin-rimmed cups it's hard for her to judge. I need something wider that would just sit on top of the cup while she pours, preferably something that would allow for different widths. She has no problem knowing when to stop pouring, it's getting it in there. I saw this on the internet, it's not what I'm looking for but the concept is close. I'm sure there is an everyday item that can be used for this challenge. A funnel won't work because it hinders her from knowing when the cup is getting full, I think she goes by sound, plus it's a mess. So here is the picture of what I saw. If anyone knows something like this without the screw, I just need a similar ring to use for a target so to speak.

Nutcracker Nutcracker
Dec '21

How about one of those little plastic ice cubes or fruits people use to not dilute their drinks. It would float up as she adds liquid.

That's all I've got for now, but I'll keep pondering!

https://www.tuvie.com/bell-mug-helps-blid-people-pouring-water-into-a-cup-without-spilling/

I found this for you with a search. It’s a cup with sensors.

Cgonz Cgonz
Dec '21

I bet someone with a 3D printer could make something to your exact needs! .. sorry I don't know anyone who owns one but maybe someone on here could help!

Dadof3
Dec '21

Dadof3 is right. Check with the local high schools after 1/3. 3D printing labs are definitely a thing!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Dec '21

Just a thpught here. I used to use a teakettle for tea but as I got older I started using my Keurig. It has a hot water setting. You pick the cup size, water goes in at the temperature you set in the settings (192 degrees is standard I believe). You can also buy her coffee pods instead of the instant coffee she might be using. We use the Keurig all the time now for tea and coffee with no guessing on when the cup is full.

MK, that is the best idea!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Dec '21

Re: pouring clear liquids with low vision

What about a canning funnel? We use them to put soups in our thermos.

Lisaj Lisaj
Dec '21

I’ve used that funnel with hot strawberry jam. It’s fun when it tips off the jar and molten hot jam goes everywhere.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Dec '21

Question on the canning funnell. If you can't see the clear liquid because of poor vision when poured in a cup how will you ever see it in a canning funnell?

The canning funnel might work if I could cut the bottom part off. I would need just that top ring part for the contrast but it may take up too much room. In other words, the inside of most cups are white and so is the rim. Like I said, there are some cups that come with a contrasting color for the rim but as most cup rims are thin, it doesn't help a whole lot. If something wider could be place over the cup so that she would have a target. It can't be so wide that it gives her a 1 inch target in which to pour the water. If you want to see what people with macular degeneration see, look it up. She not only has the smudged central vision but also the distortion. I think that a dark-colored flat plastic ring would do the trick.

Nutcracker Nutcracker
Dec '21

Why not pre-measure? Fill the cup with cold water, pour into pot or tea kettle and boil --- and return to the cup?

happiest girl
Dec '21

The issue is not with her being able to tell when the cup is full as she is pouring, that she can do with no problem, I think she goes by the sound. It's aiming the water in the cup in the first place. I asked her if she wanted a Keurig and I received a loud NO. Kids these days.

Nutcracker Nutcracker
Dec '21

Maybe something like these?

https://www.amazon.com/Tumbler-Shields-Silicone-Insert-Protector/dp/B09H2JNTQB/ref=asc_df_B09H2JNTQB/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=532543745170&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5406991951817074751&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003715&hvtargid=pla-1454397273027&psc=1

Panda Panda Koala Panda Panda Koala
Dec '21

Panda,

Yes, exactly like those!!!! Thank you so much for finding this. I'm going to order them. I'll let you know if they worked. It's worth a try. Happy New Year!!

Nutcracker Nutcracker
Dec '21

Fingers crossed for you & your mom! Hope you have a Happy New Year too.

Panda Panda Koala Panda Panda Koala
Dec '21

great thread, thanks

Put in a cup something that is bright in color and floats (cork?).
Or, as blind people do, stick your finger in a cup.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: pouring clear liquids with low vision
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.