Favorite Christmas/Holiday Cookie

I was reading the barter thread and Joyful mentioned her love of Christmas Cookies. Wondering what everyone’s favorite cookies are, and do you bake them yourself or buy them. I’m not a great baker so I tend to go for the simple recipes. Please feel free to share the recipe if you would like.

Bessie Bessie
Nov '21

Springalies!

I love Spritz cookies but can’t use the presses to make them! I have tried several different kinds and end up throwing the dough out because I get so frustrated! My mom used to make them and always made an extra batch to give to me.

Mariann Mariann
Nov '21

I either bake them myself or go without. I can't take 90% of store baked cookies. I've skipped doing them for a few years now. I should do them again.

I believe there is an old thread on favorite cookies. Chocolate chips, thumb prints, molasses sugar cookies, peanut butter, and sometimes oatmeal are the regulars. I have to be in a good mood for the work of spitzbuben. Someone else has to do the Welsh cookies.

Mariann, I found about 30 recipes for all kinds of Spritz cookies and they all seem easy. What kind of press would be needed for these?

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipes/858/desserts/cookies/butter-cookies/spritz-cookies/

Mine have to be the peanut blossom cookies with the hersheys kiss in the middle. One batch makes about 48.
Also, biscotti is something I haven’t made in a while but I plan on doing it again this year.
If anyone wants recipes, I’m happy to post.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '21

I’ve always wanted to try to make biscotti. Is your recipe easy?

Bessie Bessie
Nov '21

It is. You just have to bake everything three times so they are dried out like regular biscotti. Flavors can be as simple as adding orange zest or as complex as chocolate nut/fruit combo.

Here is the original recipe (almond) given to me.
Preheat oven to 375 and grease two
cookie sheets. (Or use parchment)

2 C flour
Pinch salt
1 lb almonds coarsely chopped
2 tsp baking powder
4 Tbs cold butter
3/4 C sugar
3 large eggs lightly beaten
1/2 tsp almond extract

Combine flour, salt, sugar and baking powder. Cut up butter and work in with pastry blender or lightly in a food processor. Combine in bowl with nuts. Add eggs and almond extract. Mix well. Turn out on a floured board. Roll or press into a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 2 inch strips and place on greased cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Bake at 375 about 12 minutes. Remove from oven and cool slightly. Cut into 1/2 inch pieces on the diagonal. Place cut side down on cookie sheet and bake for 6 to 8 minutes. Check half way. Can reduce heat to 350 if browning too fast . Take out of oven and turn to other cut side, and bake again for six minutes.
I use two cookie sheets for the second baking process after the biscotti has been cut.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '21

MK, making the dough is easy! It’s the cookie press or cookie gun that I have a problem with !! My neighbor has an electric one and she said that works well.

Mariann Mariann
Nov '21

I had a manual press for those dang spritz cookies and it was very frustrating to work with. The dough wouldn't stick to to the cookie sheet and you'd end up with a big mess :/

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '21

Oatmeal Scotchies!

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '21

Gingerbread and Pfeffernuse cookies. Sublime :-O :::

Peanut Butter Oreos

ianimal ianimal
Nov '21

My neighbor makes many spectacular Christmas cookies but her browned butter shortbread cookie will make you weep it's so good... My favorite.

2nd vote for oatmeal scotchies! Make them EVERY year!

LV_momof3
Nov '21

Does anyone have the recipe for oatmeal scotchies?

AJMS

I'm pretty sure it's still printed on the back of every bag of Nestle's Butterscotch Morsels. I know it used to be, for sure.

In any case, here are a few links. I didn't check each one for all ingredients, but they're all similar, if not the same:

https://www.verybestbaking.com/toll-house/recipes/oatmeal-scotchies-2/

https://www.quakeroats.com/cooking-and-recipes/oatmeal-scotchies

https://www.food.com/recipe/nestle-oatmeal-scotchies-20376

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '21

thank you, Phil D.
Been awhile since I made cookies and you can tell, lol

For the spritz cookie press difficulty.. I had the same frustrating problem and after a little research I found that if i use shiny aluminum cookie sheets and freeze the COOKIE SHEET before I try using the press, the cookie dough will stick!! press the cookies directly onto the cold aluminum sheet. I do them in batches and take the cookie sheet right out of the freezer to press the cookies.

rleaf rleaf
Dec '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Favorite Christmas/Holiday Cookie
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.