Wood Stove burning Larix laricina / American larch / tamarack

Someone gave us firewood that is in the Larix laricina / American larch / tamarack family. Is it good to burn in our stove? I don't want to waste time splitting it for next year if not. I've read contradicting articles on the web. Thanks in advance

Wood Splitting Fool Wood Splitting Fool
Oct '21

I guess you have to apply some judgement on which of the contradicting articles appear to come from reliable sources. A quick scan on my end shows that tamarack is a very good wood to burn, as long as (as with any wood) it's aged properly and not wet, which will gunk up your chimney faster.

At first glance it "looks" like pine, which is not a good wood to burn, but it burns a more like a hardwood.

You may have to mix it with other wood as it could burn hotter so phase it in smaller quantities until you get the heat/flame level you want and the stove can handle.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '21

When I lived in Idaho that was all I burned in the wood stove. Tamarack is another name for larch.

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Oct '21

"lived in Idaho" words I hope to say one day.. :)

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Oct '21

I burn everything in my woodstove including pine, hemlock and spruce.....wood that's still green. Clean your chimney a little more often and you'll be fine!

GWliberty GWliberty
Oct '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Wood Stove burning Larix laricina / American larch / tamarack
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.