Walmart employment

I’m looking into getting a position at Walmart in Mansfield.

Can any current/previous employees tell me about their experience as an employee?

Thanks!

I enjoyed my time there. Was always treated fairly. You get out of it what you put in.

ChrisK ChrisK
Oct '21

I’d just go for it. Everyone’s opinions on their employers will vary dramatically. Give it a shot and if you don’t like it you can go elsewhere. Everyone is hiring these days so you have plenty of options!

Indeed, Target has a sign on their front door tht they're hiring as well, but I just can't remember if the wage they quote on the sign is $12/hour or $15/hour.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '21

I just started there last week. The training is not great. They just throw you in and hope for the best. They are very short staffed and a lot of people have been calling out. You must also work the weekend if you want full time. Also you must work certain days- black Friday, Christmas eve, New Years etc.

Tracefan Tracefan
Oct '21

They've never had a good reputation. My son worked there for a short time years ago. They also just threw him into the job with no real training. They put him in the photography dept. of all places. His boss there was some young guy who could have cared less.
I just think that there are a lot better places to work, such as, Target.

Joyce Joyce
Oct '21

Work at a movie theater. Best job I ever had when I was a teenager.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '21

Work at Action Park - best job I ever had as a teenager.

2nd best was a car wash.

Josh,

I bet you have some good Action Park stories... LOL... A friend of mine went down the alpine slide and messed up his leg really good. The whole side of his leg was a big scab.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '21

Josh, have you watched the "Class Action Park" documentary on HBO Max? It was a real hoot, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '21

I have stories- you wouldn't believe me.

I have not seen the mockumentary.

Phil D Starting pay at Target is $15 and they are looking for help. Have been working for Target for 3 years and have found it to be a great part-time job.

City Chick City Chick
Oct '21

City Chick

Thanks, I did think it was $15 to start, but I wasn't positive if I was mistaking a 2 for a 5, so I was hedging my bet. Didn't want to get anyone's hopes up. Glad you were able to clarify that.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '21

Thanks everyone.

I’m kinda disenchanted at the moment because the screening process is so extensive and completely disconnected from human interaction.

I know it’s meant to help weed out those that are potentially not a good fit, but Im jumping through an above average amount of hoops...

Im impresses someone actually wants to work!!

Big Bob Big Bob
Oct '21

Update

Finally had a brief phone call interview.

Found out every weekend is mandatory and the pay rate was misrepresented.

Pass.

CJ — sorry that happened to you. It’s a pattern for all of these places that “can’t find workers”. Misrepresenting positions and pay so that they can continue to complain about being short staffed while working current staff into the ground. Best of luck to you.

There are warehouses all over desperate for workers. Starting pay an average of $20/hour if you don't mind that kind of work Retirement homes are looking for people too

Animallove Animallove
Oct '21

Could you explain how the pay rate was misrepresented? Curious. What is the real starting pay?

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Oct '21

Good employment, but its training program is also misrepresented. https://nypost.com/2021/10/15/walmart-trains-staff-in-critical-race-theory/

Bugsy Bugsy
Oct '21

Thanks Kat.
Thanks everyone.

The pay was listed at “from $19” which implies there is wiggle room. Nope.
In reality it was $17 “firm”. Which isn’t bad, but I don’t appreciate being misled.

*This rate was for the overnight shift and included a night & weekend differential. So the base rate was actually even less.

BTW, I am employed. I’m just exploring my options. I Have been FT at the same senior facility for 11 years.

May as well just give it a try. In my experience, the work place is all about who you work with. Nothing says you have to stay there if you don't like it.

Flemmer Flemmer
Oct '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Walmart employment
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.