long range 2 way radios

Hi,
I'm trying to choose a proper high-power, long range 2 way radios for hiking trip.
I've heard Icom's are good, but need your suggestions.
thanks.

I believe the Icom radios require an amateur (ham) radio license. "Hiking" radios are in the FRS and GMRS category; Motorola and Midland seem to be very popular, solid brands. There are many articles that discuss the necessity to understand your exact needs and choosing based on that.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Oct '21

Just keep in mind that you will likely get nowhere near the "max" range listed on any of these non-licensed radios. Depending on how mountainous the terrain, I'd guess maybe ~1 mile max is likely if you're on the same side of the hill, less if there's no "line of sight" between them (could drop below 1/4 mile in these cases).

For anything farther apart, you better hope a cell tower has you covered.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '21

Also, GMRS requires a license. It's certainly easier to get than a HAM license (GMRS is just a fee, no actual test), but the only "free" radio technology you can use is FRS.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '21

Best radio you are going to get without a license- Motorola DTR700 for a handheld.
Expensive. You get what you pay for.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Oct '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: long range 2 way radios
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.