Space next to Cineapolis - Old Odd Lot store

Does anyone have any idea (real idea) what's going in there? Please tell me it's not another gym. Thanks!

Mom DLC
Sep '21

Supposed to be a planet fitness

Bug3
Sep '21

oh no, we need a nice store in there.
Even a TJ's or Macy's would be nice.

Macy's is CLOSING stores. TJ Maxx is same corporation as Marshalls + Home Goods and we have ones too close to that location. An indoor pool at a fitness center would be GREAT!!! When Centenary closed their pool to the public nothing in immediate area except Sussex and Randolph Y's.

SS2cats SS2cats
Sep '21

What will Planet Fitness offer that the Gold’s in the shopping center across the street or Riverside right down the road doesn’t provide? That is unless Mansfield has a lot of fit people : )

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Sep '21

An indoor pool at a fitness center would be GREAT!!!

Even better if Medicare would pay for the membership.

Don't worry, neither is going to happen.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Sep '21

ANOTHER GYM? That will make it 4 or 5 gyms in Mansfield/Hackettstown alone (3 within 1-2 blocks of each other!!)

How about a large nightclub like Governor's Inn or The Final Exam used to be.

Or a theme of a store that we don't have in this town. Guess anyone dishing out the money to start/open something new has to be there, which it hasn't been yet since Odd Lot, or whatever cheaper store that was.

Years ago it used to be a shoe store, does anyone remember that?

MansfieldVillager MansfieldVillager
Sep '21

"What will Planet Fitness offer that the Gold’s in the shopping center across the street or Riverside right down the road doesn’t provide?" D-ManPV,

Competition, more competition.... I agree seems over saturated but who knows.

Can anyone remember when Jamesway was there? Or the supermarjet before shoprite? ( mall opened 1965)

Bug3
Sep '21

Planet is a lot cheaper than Gold’s.

Sport
Sep '21

SS2cats

The Centenary pool wasn't just closed to the public, it was closed permanently, to be filled in, floored over and a rock wall installed, as well as other fitness and sport practice facilities expanded into the space. IMHO, while the pool didn't meet NCAA standards, the life skill of swimming is an extremely important one to learn and it's great to use for exercise rehabilitation, so saving money, but losing value.

Planet Fitness, aka Planet Pizza, etc. is mostly made fun of by much of the fitness and strength community. While there are some meat-heads in almost every facility, many of the really strong and or talented people will gladly help you out, no matter where you are in your fitness and/or strength journey. They all started from somewhere, just as everyone does and many are glad to help correct your form while performing an exercise, encourage you and give you advice on how not to get hurt. Planet fitness labeling them all as dummies, etc. may work for their marketing, but for the most part isn't true.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '21

Phil D, what are talking about? I am confused!

Sport
Sep '21

"What will Planet Fitness offer that the Gold’s in the shopping center across the street or Riverside right down the road doesn’t provide?" D-ManPV,

Unless there are price tiers I’m unaware of, Planet Fitness is cheaper then the rest of them. Hard to beat $10 a month. In which case I welcome Planet Fitness. I loved going there in college because of how cheap it was.

Makomiller1984 Makomiller1984
Sep '21

What years was Jamesway there? i Think I remember that! 1970s? 1980s? not the 1990s i don't think.............

Sep '21

SS2Cats, I meant Trader Joes, not TJ Maxx. Too bad about Macy's.
Used to work at Bamberger's in Morristown (some may remember that location).

People in this area would rather eat than go to the gym. Put a gourmet food store there, it's what they would want. An upscale place so they could feel like they are important and special.

dodgebaaall dodgebaaall
Sep '21

Sport

I'm not sure how I confused you. I was responding to "SS2cats" about the Centenary pool and then making comments about a number of people's opinions (and some of my own) about "Planet Fitness", the business that's going into the space this thread's about.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '21

I opt for Trader Joe's. Another idea would be a Hobby Lobby. They do well in Phillipsburg. Any other craft store is Michael's in Trade Center & I find them too expensive. Hobby Lobby has a great selection of things and not just crafts.

Joyce Joyce
Sep '21

Trader Joes sound perfect. Or Aldi's, but 2 supermarkets in 1 shopping center might not be allowed.

Who's got $$$ to open something we Want, that we don't have any of (or enough of) in Hackettstown?

4-5 gyms in this town is crazy!!!

Sep '21

Joyce, that's what I meant when I said TJ's actually. Trader Joe's for sure.
We've been trying to get one around here for a long time.
Nearest one is in Denville I believe.

I think a Ruth’s Chris steakhouse would fit perfectly

Philliesman Philliesman
Sep '21

I don't think any of those options are going to fit into that old Buddy's Small Lots space. It wouldn't be a Trader Joe's--the Shoprite competition would deter them. It could be a Planet Fitness; if so, the traffic in that parking lot is going to be insane.

FWIW, it looks like the top part of the marquee (where the "Buddy's Small Lots" sign was) is no longer the green metal background like the rest of the strip mall, but a weathered-looking wooden background. This could be a clue to what we're getting.

honestyseasy honestyseasy
Sep '21

Here we go again...

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Sep '21

How about a new laundromat on this side town?

Animallove Animallove
Sep '21

yet another field of dreams.............

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '21

“ We've been trying to get one around here for a long time.”

Ok I’ll bite. Who is “we” and how have you tried to get a TJ here?

Jim L Jim L
Sep '21

and to complete the cross examination....
how long is a long time?

Trader Joes is for affluent people. Grey Poupon types. This isn't the demographic. Anyone punching up that hard needs to sell now at the height of the market and go purchase in a more haughty town.

dodgebaaall dodgebaaall
Sep '21

Their stuff is cheap, dodgeball.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '21

Dollar Tree is cheap. Aldi is well priced. Trader Joe is a mix. The Trader Joe brand products are priced fair enough. Most of the other products are expensive. I've shopped at the Denville store twice and bought some TJ peanut butter but it was too dry. Nothing about that store has me shopping again.

I guess to each their own. We love TJ peanut butter! And their dried cherries. And their pita chips. And their Thai green simmer sauce. And their fresh ravioli. And their maple syrup. And their cereal. And…

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '21

dodgebaaall has Trader Joe's confused with Whole Foods...

ianimal ianimal
Sep '21

Mom DLC, are you sorry you asked? Lol

Pamela Pamela
Sep '21

The only way to get a Trader Joe’s is to beg them for years on there website location request.

Selling now and buy in a more affluent town means buying very high and paying way more in taxes. This town is fine until I make the jump the leave the state. I do wish this town had more imagination and courage than to put so many gas stations and needless fad food joints. Now it’s gyms apparently. I guess to work off all the crap food. I nicer food store option would be great too.

Steve Steve
Sep '21

“ I do wish this town had more imagination and courage than to put so many gas stations and needless fad food joints” - Steve

I’m not sure where you get your information. The town isn’t putting in any of these businesses. If an area is zoned retail, then most any business can open at that location (with some restrictions obviously). That’s the beauty of capitalism - supply and demand will dictate who is successful!

FarmerJake FarmerJake
Sep '21

Yea gotta love the people who think the town is the ones putting in these businesses.

Also gotta love the people who don't understand what town they are even talking about. This thread is about an empty storefront in Mansfield.

Jim L. Jim L.
Sep '21

"The only way to get a Trader Joe’s is to beg them for years on there website location request."

The only way to get Trader Joe's is to live in their target market. Denville is as far west as they are going to go in NJ.

Jim L. Jim L.
Sep '21

What store-type (a gym again) is going to do really well -- when there are 3 of them within 3 blocks of each other!?

Sep '21

Bridgewater and West Windsor are both "further west" than Denville and they each have a Trader Joe's.

Now, if you meant as far west "along the I-80 corridor" in NJ, then you are probably correct. (-;

ianimal ianimal
Sep '21

even wester, Cherry Hill Trader Joes

So... no one actually know for sure?

Sassysince'72 Sassysince'72
Sep '21

Yea I meant West up here. From Denville they will leap over Warren and Hunterdon county and open up In Lehigh Valley. We have zero shot. Even MO was told no by TJ.

Jim L Jim L
Sep '21

^^^if mount olive can’t get one as usual Jim is correct no chance

This area will not pass the economic test of Trader Joe’s. to be successful. Meaning the average income in this area is not enough for them to consider a location here. It’s just the way it is.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Sep '21

I could see them possibly opening a store in the Flemington/Raritan Twp area eventually.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '21

Lets make it something new and magical: FANTASY LAND...........all adults who enter can
use their imaginations to see in it just what they want it to be.........

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '21

4cat....I think you're allready there
hahhah

Lets be real,
You have the luxury of going to your choices of local farms to get all of those wonderful fresh vegetables to make a great meal for dinner. Now hop into your Yukon XL and drive to Whole Foods to complete the deal. Your husband works all day and is hungry, the least you can do is make a nice dinner for him after he bought you that 30k kitchen.
Don't be a sour puss and order fast food from UBER. Keep your man happy! He will be less likely to stray.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Sep '21

Maybe not a teader joes but Hackettstown should rate a Aldi...even Phillipsburgh has one of those

Bug3
Sep '21

The target market here would support a Dennys or Waffle House.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Sep '21

+2 Points for spelling Aldi correctly.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Sep '21

There used to be an Aldi in the strip mall across from Target, possibly back in the late '90s. I remember shopping in there once or twice.

Lynnada Lynnada
Sep '21

Lynnada - I only moved here about 2001 but there was a different store there. That strip mall was originally where A&P was before they built the big store up on Naughright. After a while of being empty, A&P opened "Food Basics" in the old location. It was very Aldi's like, warehouse style, bring your own bags or use their empty cardboard boxes.

Aldi and Trader Joe’s - apples and oranges

Sep '21

Same owner craft beer bob

Bug3
Sep '21

Correct, Bug. But they are completely different stores with different experiences.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '21

Completely different audiences and demographics.

Sep '21

CBB,
Good job trying to explain. Hopefully it will sink in.

dodgebaaall dodgebaaall
Sep '21

Completely different owners as well.

Trader Joe's has been owned by Aldi Nord since the 1970s and Aldi stores in the USA are run by Aldi Sud.

ALbrecht DIscount broke up into Aldi Nord (north) and Aldi Sud (south) in the 1960s when the Albrecht boys couldn't agree on whether or not to sell cigarettes in their stores.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '21

They have a aldi in Livingston that does extremly well..it replaced a whole foods clone

Trader joes is in a bunch of small towns on the west coast...its hip but its not expensive
As far Hackettstown being a bad location
You have Panther Valley and Long Valley with in easy driving distance
Granted unless you are a quick chek or nail salon Hackettstown would never want you but it would fit in good on 517..where there is no grocery store and where the high end apartments are being built

Bug3
Sep '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Space next to Cineapolis - Old Odd Lot store
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.