Building at Liberty & Main

Does anyone know what's going on at the old dog groomers at Liberty and Main?
It's been fenced off for a few weeks now.

Barnacle Bill
Sep '21

Quick Check ;-)

LV_momof3
Sep '21

I heard wawa is building a small store there :)

Michael Michael
Sep '21

the building has been deemed unsafe.

Jim L. Jim L.
Sep '21

Jim L - why?

Can it be fixed or is it coming down?

Barnacle Bill
Sep '21

Facade repairs only...the building is sound...

Towny Towny
Sep '21

Not surprised.

Before they painted it you could see there was virtually no mortar between the bricks.

Barnacle Bill
Sep '21

In reference to the mortar joints on the building , corner of main and liberty streets, the joints you are seeing is a very specialized mortar and style used on this building...the mortar joint style is called a " Butter joint"
If you look the brick itself is also a very unique brick..

PS, Look up " Butter joint in masonry "

This is a very unique masonry style and would a shame to see it taken down.

Joe II Joe II
Sep '21

Joe ll, you know your masonry ,that's right that is butter joint brickwork. There is a bank in Washington, NJ that has that.

Re: Building at Liberty & Main

I learned something new today! Butter Joints!

I'm always open to learning new things.

A picture of that building in its heyday:

Barnacle Bill
Sep '21

"Butter joint" is more a nickname for "thin joint masonry" used mostly by historians and conservationists imho. It refers to the idea of a thin mortar between the bricks, reminiscent of the thickness of butter on toast. The mortar would be different, but not particularly due to the thickness of the joint (at least in those days), but because that was essentially what was used on all mortar joints at the time, regardless of joint thickness. The bricks could be just unique from the maker or of the special type made for a rubbing technique, mainly used in England, so it could have been an English immigrant bricklayer that constructed it and some of the other local structures such as the one mentioned in Washington made that way. It would be interesting to research that further when I have the time.

Virtually all (especially modern) masonry construction is made by "buttering" bricks with mortar before setting them into place in the wall. Once the mortar is mixed to the proper consistency, a trowel is used to "butter" or push the mortar onto the 4 sides of the brick (or block) that will face downward, then the ends of the brick are buttered on the edge that will be facing downward. Kind of hard to explain, unless you watch a bricklayer in action, then it's easier to understand what I mean.

Standard modern mortar joints are 3/8 inch thick and most "joining tools" are made for that thickness as are rules, etc. Mortar thickness can range between 1/8' to 3/4', but many building codes state the joint should be no thicker than 3/8", and no thinner than 1/4" for optimum strength and durability. A number of historic buildings were made with thin joints mainly because the components of the mortar (lime mortar, as opposed to modern Portland cement based mortar) were more expensive and harder to obtain.

Funny thing is that there's a resurgence of thin joint masonry in Europe, but that's because they use a special adhesive mortar and the bricks or blocks have to meet exacting tolerances. Part of the reason for the thickness of a standard thickness mortar joint is to make up for irregularities in brick sizes. The advantage of modern thin joint masonry is that it allows for faster load bearing of the walls, as the special mortar sets up faster and stronger (but with more flexibility) than standard Portland cement mortar. Apparently up to 90% of new construction in Europe is made this way: https://www.thomasarmstrongconcreteblocks.co.uk/thin-joint-construction.html

Normally, there are also two other important things about brickwork besides joint thickness. First is the "Bond", which is the pattern the bricks are laid in. That pattern can be for strength and/or decorative purposes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brickwork

The second thing is the type of joint, which is how the mortar is dressed after the buttered bricks are lain in place. The mason/bricklayer normally uses the edge of their trowel to lightly scrape the face of the brickwork after setting the bricks in place, according to his line to make the squeezed out mortar flush with the surface of the brick. After the mortar "sets" a bit, one of the bricklayers , an apprentice or another laborer uses a joining tool to press the mortar inward, creating one of several types of joints, that create a finished look, as well as improve the strength and water resistance of the joint between the bricks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortar_joint

This could actually be an example of "Tuckpointing", which started in the 1700's to make it look as though a mortar joint was thinner than it actually was, using mortar that matches the color of the bricks themselves, but during the joining process, a thin bit of white colored material is pressed into the mortar:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuckpointing

Now it makes me curious to see the joints more closely. While I worked closely with masons and had adult brick and blocklaying training classes at a tech school in NC, that was years ago and I never pursued it as a vocation, even though the instructor asked me to go into business with him. At the time, going back to college was more important. Just another path not taken, lol.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '21

^^^informative, thank you!

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Sep '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Building at Liberty & Main
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.