What the h... is this?!

What the h... is this?!

OK, so a couple of days ago, I found this slime on my living room wall. I had no idea what it was, but noticed it was a slimy brown mucous like substance. I couldn't figure out where it came from, so I just cleaned it off the wall and carried on.

The next day, I found another one, just like it, on our dresser in the bedroom. Now I'm getting a little concerned. What is this stuff and where is it coming from? Cleaned it again and started thinking it might be from an insect of some kind.

Today I found another one underneath the stair ceiling, which is the one I have pictured. Now I'm starting to get worried about what this stuff is, and where it's coming from. I did a search and couldn't find any comparable references, only some information about "bleeding walls", but that was really just about some brown streaking coming from inside the walls of some houses.

This is NOT that, especially since I found one of these slimy things on our bedroom dresser.

So, can ANYONE tell me what the hell this stuff is, and where it's coming from??? It's starting to freak me out.

greg adamo greg adamo
Jul '21

Are you able to look inside and see if there are any egg sacks?

Tigermom Tigermom
Jul '21

I suggest calling Hennebry Pest (908) 578-3804 ask them.

Nice knowledgeable people. Don't wait!

Melissa A Nolan Melissa A Nolan
Jul '21

Greg, do you have a dog?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '21

Some possibilities to look into:

Larval casings for a moth, etc.

Deposits from fungus gnats or other insect dining on your plants that may have moved around the houses.

I'm thinking maybe more likely to be larval casings of something, though I'm not sure what.

Have you bought any indoor house plants lately or moved anything from outside to inside recently or not too far in the past? I'd check them all closely for pests if you have. If you can't find anything, then definitely check with a professional!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '21

Thanks everyone for responding.

In order...

I didn't notice any eggs per se, but it's possible there were some.

I'll certainly consider calling Hennebry...thanks.

I have 2 dogs...why?

greg adamo greg adamo
Jul '21

Phil...I didn't see your post until after I responded, but thanks.

I can't recall bringing in any plants, so maybe it's this larvae you spoke of. It looks like I need to call a professional about this, because it's 3 consecutive days now, and always in a new location. This is creeping me out.

greg adamo greg adamo
Jul '21

Actually Phil, your moth theory seems plausible because each new location is quite a distance from the others. I doubt a crawling insect could make those long journeys on different levels of the house. It's got to be something that can fly. But the weird thing is that there is no sign of the thing anywhere around the house, other than what it deposits, and I always find it the following morning.

greg adamo greg adamo
Jul '21

Probably not the answer you wanted to hear but to me, it looks like nasal discharge from from a dog. Check their ears too. Stuff flies everywhere when they shake. Just sayin’.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '21

Could be anal discharge from the dog too. My dog has gotten the sharts from time to time.

Sacks cousin
Jul '21

Thanks 3w.

I ruled that out because of the location of the slime...mid living room wall, high on bedroom dresser, and very high under the stairs ceiling. But my female GS does have a bad chronic ear infection that we have tried everything to get rid of, and she does shake her head vigorously at times.

Now I'm really confused because I did call the pest control people and sent them the picture, which they couldn't identify. So, as bizarre as this seems, it might be possible that it's coming from our dog, but it's so hard to believe it could fly that far.

greg adamo greg adamo
Jul '21

Sounds like your next phone call should be to your veterinarian ;-)

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '21

Already consulted a half dozen vets, none of them furnished a remedy, so we clean her ears on almost a daily basis. I'm still not convinced the slime is emanating from her, especially because of the locations I'm finding it, but thanks for your input regardless.

greg adamo greg adamo
Jul '21

Is it moving?........

Is it a slug?

Hackresident Hackresident
Jul '21

Stink bugs leave small marks of brown residue on walls — gross. I figured it out when I saw one buzzing around bouncing off the walls and it left a few splotches. If they are small marks in random places it could be stink bugs!

Most bugs defecate a lot. A lot . Bed bugs leave smears, cockroaches, even the ones that live in the woods leave micro pellets. You can see the individual larva sections in an egg but not the feces (10-30x scope will help).

One-Eyed Poacher One-Eyed Poacher
Jul '21

It appears to have eyes, legs, and a tail, though. HMMMmm…..

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Jul '21

Not spraint then. Good luck to you.

One-Eyed Poacher One-Eyed Poacher
Jul '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: What the h... is this?!
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.