Taxes

I need to hire a tax preparer. We’ve always done our own. I was advised to have a professional do them this year. Also advised not to hire the chains. I was told to reach out to friends or word of mouth. Or the largest Accounting firm in the area. For those of you who have experience with this I would greatly appreciate your input, referrals, and advice. Thanks

auntiel auntiel
Mar '21

F. J. Magdaleno - janine.taxes@gmail.com
Just outside Hackettstown. Great person. Have gone to her for years.

wondering wondering
Mar '21

BD Financial Services in Hackettstown

81 Main St.
(908) 850-8884
taxes@bdtaxservices.com

There is an ad in the classifieds.
$25 OFF Tax Preparation Fee ***New Clients Only***

Leah Lyons Leah Lyons
Mar '21

Rahn Singer CPA, Hackettstown 908-813-8888 or
Lew Petty Tax Attorney, Great Meadows 908-637- 6515

Both are professionals and excellent..

Extownie
Mar '21

We have used BD Financial for many years. We have been very pleased with them.
They are on Main Street opposite the CVS.

JBJSKJ JBJSKJ
Mar '21

I used a big firm until this year when I switched to Ali H Mahmoud, 206 Main Street, just East of Stella G's.(908) 813-3180. Very happy with the results and was happy with the price.

Mr 4paws Mr 4paws
Mar '21

Following...I usually do them on my own because I find that I do the same job as any accountant I have hired. Someone told me (not sure if it is true) but we are unable to deduct home expenses, even if you have been working out of your home this year.

Anyone find different? Curious to know what the benefit is or why people suggest using an accountant this year...?

DancerLife
Mar '21

Glenn Davis CPA based out of Mount Olive. I highly recommend him. Best accountant we have ever had... He does my business taxes and our personal return.

https://www.flandersnjaccounting.com/

Jacqui Jacqui
Mar '21

Dancer-the reason I was told is because of all the screw ups with unemployment, stimulus checks. Mine is a mess. I was told this is not the year for mistakes.

auntiel auntiel
Mar '21

Gotcha, OK. That makes total sense.

DancerLife
Mar '21

contact Sunrise Title, offices in town and in Belvider and ask for Mitchell Stout. Long time professional.

New2this New2this
Mar '21

yes - unfortunately, home office expenses are no longer deductible. these changes were implemented in 2017.

Turbo tax:
"If you're an employee working remotely rather than an employer or business owner, you unfortunately don't qualify for the home office tax deduction (however, please note that it is still available to some as a state tax deduction). Prior to the Tax Cuts and Job Acts (TCJA) tax reform passed in 2017, employees could deduct unreimbursed employee business expenses, which included the home office deduction. However, for tax years 2018 through 2025, the itemized deduction for employee business expenses has been eliminated"..

HtownNewbie HtownNewbie
Mar '21

Auntiel. highly recommend calling Glenn Davis for he is in the know of everything you just spoke about.
He had our 2017 and 2018 taxes ammended for our past accountants made several errors. We wound up owing way less plus got money back...
Something we haven't seen in years for normally we owe a lot! 1st time in 10 years instead of owing NJ(2019 taxes). We actually received a $7 check :)

732 447-4517

Jacqui Jacqui
Mar '21

Turbo tax handled the stimulus just fine. It asked a few questions such as what payment you actually received. Filed my taxes Feb 12th, got my federal refund Feb 23. State refund March 9.

maja2 maja2
Mar '21

I also recommend Mitch Stout been going to him for years.
908-475-8479. Good luck

luvlife
Mar '21

I've been using Turbotax for decades- which over a decade of which is my own business.

I have zero desire or reason to go elsewhere.

In my mind- an accountant is the same as a financial advisor or shrink.

Very few of them might actually benefit an even fewer amount of people- but many people happily think they are worth the cost.

If you think you should pay an accountant because of 'screw ups on stimulus and unemployment'- keep in mind two things-

#1- even if there is a screw up, you are not the only one. This is a big country.

#2- IRS isn't going to break down your door with guns over hundred of dollars.

Worst case- they will send you a letter stating you owe X in tax. You can either pay it, or dispute- but the odds of even receiving anything is infinitesimal.

Things like that literally aren't on their radar- they have much bigger fish to fry.

Think again Josh. I was a mere 19 years old and made 7000 dollars at a part time job while in college. I was audited. They fry whatever fish the computer tells them to fry.

PaulyWalnutz PaulyWalnutz
Mar '21

With a name like Paula Walnutz it’s no wonder you got audited, lol.

kb2755 kb2755
Mar '21

Been using Jonathan Stone, CPA for years, Hastings Commons,908-979-9919

eapos eapos
Mar '21

Thanks everyone. I will be making calls next week.

auntiel auntiel
Mar '21

eapos -- what does Jonathan Stone charge?

happiest girl
Mar '21

I am just shaking my head!! 2020 was different due to Covid! I kindly suggest if you fall under any of these circumstances you seek the advice of a CPA..
Biden just signed this yesterday.. Do not take the advice of frequent posters here.. For they definitely don't have your best interest in mind.. JMHO...

These new tax benefits are quite complicated and pretty much aren't even in the turbo tax system..

Seek an accountant(CPA) who is up to date with the new covid(Biden tax/stimulus package) instead of seeking advice from the same posters here.. Again JMHO ❤

"The new bill could bring relief to people who were surprised to learn that their unemployment benefits are federally taxable. New Jersey does not tax unemployment benefits, but the state did not give workers the opportunity to withhold federal taxes on expanded benefits like the $600 or $300 monthly payments, leaving some with an

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2021/03/stimulus-check-update-you-wont-have-to-pay-federal-tax-on-first-10k-of-unemployment-benefits-under-new-bill.html

Nothing is for free!! There is always a loophole.. JMHO..

Jacqui Jacqui
Mar '21

H Girl, I guess it depends on what your tax situation is, probably best to call his office, rates have always seemed fair to me

eapos eapos
Mar '21

Anyone else still waiting for their federal tax return? Filed online in April and nothing. The Where's My Return website just says processing.

Seenit
Jul '21

Yes. I filed in March. Still waiting. I check the refund status daily online on their site and just says it's being processed.

DogDayAfternoon
Jul '21

Seenit, I'm still waiting, but I think at this point it's just moot. If I owed them money, I'm sure it would have been different. I'm going to stop checking daily, because mine has been processing for six months now. I know people that did their taxes online with the same electronic filing and got their money in their bank account in two weeks. Oh well.

DogDayAfternoon
Aug '21

Still waiting here too.... maybe it will be a nice Christmas surprise?

Seenit
Aug '21

After calls to three local CPAs and being told I was too late and would have to file an extension, I reached out to Ali Mahmoud CPA on main st. He agreed to see me at the end of the week. I see someone above recommended him so I’m hoping it goes smoothly. Any reviews besides Mr4Paws?

Consigliere
Mar '22

I will need a local CPA also for my taxes next year. Would really appreciated everyone’s recommendations and cost. My current CPA is retiring and was very affordable.

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Mar '22

Looking for recommendations for a good local tax accountant. Thanks in advance

Jimt1058
Jan '23

I’m also looking for recommendations for a local tax preparer. Mine retired last year. Prefer an individual who works out of their home. For individual taxes. Thank you!

Diane Diane
Jan '23

I'm also looking for someone local to do my taxes . . . thanks for referrals.

Carolyn
Jan '23

Just got taxes done by Janine Tax services in Hackettstown. She was very thorough and explained everything in detail. Very happy with her work.

Jimt1058
Mar '23

I must also recommend Janine Magdaleno- janine.taxes@gmail or 973-223-0928. First time going to her and will continue in the future.

Tracefan Tracefan
3 weeks ago

I go to Sean Raquet, 206 Main Street Hackettstown.
(201) 919-1433
Very happy with him.

Mr 4Paws Mr 4Paws
3 weeks ago

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Taxes
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.