Work for 14+ years old

Looking for any referrals to places that hire young adults, particularly aged 14 and 15 years old. Hackettstown please! Thanks for your help!

kelleo22 kelleo22
Mar '21

Shoprite, Weis, maybe the Farm as they will be opening soon, bagel shop, pizzeria....

DancerLife
Mar '21

Excuse me for asking- do you still need/are able to get working payers at that age?
Or am I showing my age?

Stymie Stymie
Mar '21

Stymie

I think it depends on what you're doing as far as what you can qualify for. They may be able to work at some jobs, but when it comes to operating a slicer or other powered equipment, that is a definite no no under a certain age (I think 17, but I haven't checked NJ State Laws.

It's possible they may be able to do filing work or answering phones, stocking, etc.

Phil D. Phil D.
Mar '21

I only ask because I feel for him/her/them.
I felt I came off “age” when I got my working papers (a long, long time ago on a planet far, far away)
Gotta find a place for a young one hungry for work.

Stymie Stymie
Mar '21

Kids can get working papers from their schools at age 14, BUT it depends on the type of job.

SS2cats SS2cats
Mar '21

Real story.
At 14 I got a job at a produce market about 2 blocks from my home. On Long Island.
8:00 AM till 10:00 PM - 7 days a week.
$10. a day.
$70. A week.
Money, money, money!
First day off, with a lot of walking around money in my pocket.
I went to the shopping center.
Bought 2 Neru jackets.
Brought them home.
Mom kicked my A$$.
True.

Stymie Stymie
Mar '21

Stymie. I love that story. The Neru jackets got me, along with mom kickin' azz. ;) I do believe IF a kid wants to work it's a big difference than if a parent is pushing them to. At least you had those snazzy jackets in mind! Good for you.

DogDayAfternoon
Mar '21

I work with several teenagers aged 14-15 who are eager to find a job and start earning money having gotten their working papers. Most places I have checked only hire as young as 16. Maybe I will have them start calling around to smaller business. Thanks everyone! If you hear of anything locally let me know so I can steer them in that direction.

kelleo22 kelleo22
Mar '21

My 14 year old started his own business cutting lawns (could not get a job anywhere). He would walk his mower down the road along with his weed wacker. He charged $25-30 per lawn making about $300-400 per week. The people loved it, seeing a young man looking for work and being innovative. This is just a suggestion. These young adult have so much to offer. Maybe they can come up with an idea to start there own business. It forces them to be independent and to think on there feet. Good luck, I wish them all success.

I second what JB said. Put a flyer in every mailbox that is near you. In no time flat you’ll have more work then you can handle.

Sacks cousin
Mar '21

Meadowbrook Day Camp hires that age. As long as they are currently Freshman in High School. They can often also provide transportation which is great because I remember when I was that age it was always an issue getting a ride from my parents to get to work. Call them at 908-876-3429.

Rich S Rich S
Mar '21

Technically speaking, only USPS is allowed to use your mailbox. Anything else is illegal - including other delivery companies. Stick to door knob signs or something else just to avoid that small risk.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Mar '21

Do not go to anyone's door at age 14 or 15! Ask parents and friends/family for assistance- not strangers. Crazy Crazy Crazy to send a young person out going door to door,

How I learned and earned.
To teach me the importance of work- back in the day-my Mom (single parent) would drive my brother and myself around in the Rambler station wagon picking up bundles of recycled newspapers early early in the morning.
We’d bring them to the “junkie” and get 60 cents a pound for them.
Before I could drive, bring me to interviews and wait in the car.
Had a job at a Country Club doing bussing and formal events (relatively far away) would pick me up a midnight or later when done. When I could finally drive, I took myself.
I bet you that if you make up a neat flier-accompany them around the area in the car- and watch them while he/she approaches residents ( you wait in the car) that are outside doing work-neatly dressed/they will get more work than they can handle.
People respect and support those looking to move forward by the sweat of their brow.
They will also respect you for doing what you are doing.
Would also pay the added value of interpersonal communications.
Quality time together and shared joy in their accomplishments.
I think that many of us underestimate how much our neighbors will support us if they can.

Stymie Stymie
Mar '21

Caddie at the golf club was the best job I could find at 14. Decent money, outside, great exercise. Usually made 25 a day in tip and 15 in wage. More in tip if I could double bag it.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Mar '21

Yeah, that was a great gig Craftbeer.
I carried hundreds of rounds but never golfed.
Good money back then- and still had a lot of the day left when done.

Stymie Stymie
Mar '21

You know those certain holes when you’d give your golfer a club, they’d walk to the tee and you’d go up ahead to the dogleg or top of the hill (and Fire one up?).
Good memories- especially if you got in good with the caddy master

Stymie Stymie
Mar '21

Never golfed a single hole either Stymie. But walked the course at least 500 times. I have a lot of memories of the guys who would round the bend at nine and never make it out of the clubhouse and have to call their wives to make it home.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Mar '21

As already mentioned by others, Shop Rite will allow them to work at age 15 (NJ has maximum amount of hours set for each age group) and are always hiring.

Countryside
Mar '21

If he/she is into sports check the age at which you can ref. You can make 20 to 40 per hour. Easy money for kids.

Sacks cousin
Mar '21

It’s easy money if they can take the parent’s abuse in the stands :/

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '21

I commend your child for wanting to work. I agree that folks in the community would be willing to help. We hired a few teens to do yard work and help do cleaning projects in the house. We paid well, gave lunch and a ride either to or from our house to help out working parents with logistics. We found these teens by placing an ad on this site. Parents came with their child to meet us so they could be comfortable in leaving their child with us. Worked out great!

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Work for 14+ years old
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.