2021 Gardening Thread

What are you growing this year? Indoors...outdoors... We just started some Inca Berry and Red Globe Onions indoors under a grow light! I’d love to see any local gardeners photos!

Mervin
Feb '21

Been growing herbs, lettuce all winter long; chicken soup really grand with fresh herbs and have a number of jars of dry waiting for our next pot o soup. Lettuce was out of control, had to socially distance because plants so big. Just means we get twice the seasons from one set of pods. Tomato's just starting to have little ones right now. Aerogarden -- a bit pricey but sure is fun and tasty. I have the small one; if I did it over I would opt for more real estate. Not so much the number of pods, but the potential distance between them.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Feb '21

I bought seeds for Jersey Devil tomatoes which will be new this season. I saved seeds from last years crop of Serrano chillies, Marketmore cucumbers and string beans. I built worm vermicomposters last season and kale grew well in them. This season I purchased strawberry plants for them but will not get fruit until next year. I wait until March to start plants indoors.

Robert J Rowe Robert J Rowe
Feb '21

Is it a good time to plant MArigold and other perennial seeds today or tomorrow? With rain expected in next couple of days, I am thinking its a good idea. But feel its still cold out there.

Paula Paula
Apr '21

Re: 2021 Gardening Thread

The bulbs are in full bloom, early flowers like iris, Virginia blue bells, and lilacs are on deck. Lots of activity with the columbines, day lilies, forget me not, and salvia that will start early.

Paula - The big thing is if there's a frost. Right now the weather looks like we may be past it because the 10 day looks like 38 would be about the lowest. But if we get a cold spell after that, one frost could ruin it.

Barely managed to get a picture before these got eaten. Johnny may have jumped, but not fast enough...

Plants are ready.

Tomato man
May '21

I never pulled out all of the ornamental cabbage I planted in fall. I didn’t know it would be so pretty in the spring.

auntiel auntiel
May '21

hi Tomato man! Do you have any cherry tomato plants? Or any nice unusual heirlooms to try? Please PM me if you like, I don't see an envelope by your post.

hktownie hktownie
May '21

You can tell it's getting closer and closer to Memorial Day and summer.

Hi-I hope someone could assist. I just had landscapers plant 3 variegated boxwoods and to my surprise when I saw them they look as if they were dying. I immediately called the landscaper and he said they're not dying. They flowered and the flowers died off. I have variegated boxwoods and none of my ever flowered. Can someone help??
Thank you!

Confused Confused
May '21

No such thing as a boxwood that flowers as far as I know. I would call him out on it.

GreatMeadows GreatMeadows
May '21

Hi, bumping this up...will the Tomatoe Man on Rockport road be selling this year? If so when...does he grow cherry tomatoe plants?
Thanks

Towny Towny
May '23

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.