Harbor Freight Tools Coming to Hackettstown?

While searching on Indeed I found an opening for a Harbor Freight Tools manager in Hackettstown. It's listed as "new store coming soon!"

https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?cmp=Harbor-Freight-Tools&t=Store+Manager+New+Store+Coming+Soon&jk=fb409834dea1ecde&q=harbor+freight&vjs=3

Anyone hear anything about this? Wonder where it would be, perhaps the old Party City lot.

honestyseasy honestyseasy
Jan '21

I haven’t seen any construction plans for it yet.

Masks Fortheugly Masks Fortheugly
Jan '21

Could be. While not listed on their coming soon store list, it is clearly on their jobs website for Hackettstown.

https://www.careerarc.com/job-map/harbor-freight-tools?campaign_id=28927/#ts-1611089133003

Maybe they are putting out feelers?

Darrin Darrin
Jan '21

Good place for cheap flashlights , flags , and light duty hand tools .They only give a 90 day warranty on their electric Portland hedge clippers which burned up after about 40 minutes of use - past the 90 day warranty period so tough luck . Replaced with Black and Decker clippers for not that much more and have been using them 6 years and still going strong . With stores in Newton , Easton , Parsippany ,and Flemington I doubt if there is much need for another one . Besides they have cut back on their best deals and have been pushing their new credit card for the past two months .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Jan '21

I was in the store in Newton a few months ago and they said they were going to be opening a store in Hackettstown very soon.

Earnhardt Earnhardt
Jan '21

We only attract the best :>(

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jan '21

Well, HF certainly isn’t the “best” but for 95% of DIYers the tools are perfect. I even know a professional that buys their Daytona line of automotive jacks. They are so close to their Snap-on competitor that Snap-on actually sued HF (and lost). Apparently this lawsuit exposed Snap-on jacks for having been made in China in the same factory as the HF (Daytona) jacks. They were so close that snap on sued. Well, close in every way except price. Daytona jacks are around $170 while the snap on variant are over $600. Again, for DIYers that may use a particular tool a few times per year, it’s a great option.

Consigliere
Jan '21

If it's opening " very soon" where is it?

Bug3
Jan '21

It's a mixed bag at HF for sure . I've gotten 9 months out of their 6 dollar flags and only 5 or 6 from flags costing over twice as much . I got 2 of their Pittsburgh retractable tape measures for free with any purchase , one still works , the other refused to retract the second time I used it . Their little blue LED flashlights that sell for 89 cents with a coupon can't be beat for the price , nor can their 63 cent magnetic parts holders .

Once I was planning on buying a hand truck from them only to see that model with a severely wobbling wheel as a an HF worker used it to move a customer's order . I ended up buying a higher quality Milwaukee hand truck from Lowes heavily discounted on Black Friday . So buyer beware .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SH03XXfZwE

97XBAM 97XBAM
Jan '21

My flags last years, my tools a lifetime. I think I will stick where I am....

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jan '21

I surely hope not! My husband doesn't need another tool in this house!

magpie magpie
Jan '21

maybe where Hometown Hometown Hardware is now?

Not to roll off topic but I have tried the flags from HF. While inexpensive they don't last too long. I buy my flags from Tractor Supply. They are American made and great quality lasting two years in continuous service. Only $19.99.

HF has plenty of items at a fair price point that I find adequate. They also have items I would not bother with. To each is own.

The other locations that could be big enough are the place behind the cinema (old Job Lots I think?), and the place next to Lowes (a Halloween store every year)

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jan '21

I'm still ahead of the flag game paying 18 dollars for 27 months . No drooping porch flag here my flag flies 365 days a year on a tall pole and takes a beating . I've actually found the thinner material that dries faster and allows the wind to flow through lasts longer . HF sells 3 different flags , I get the middle embroidered one when it's on sale . They sell the thicker American made flags too for 20 bucks like I used to buy at Hometown Hardware years ago - never had one of those last past 6 months .

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=flag

97XBAM 97XBAM
Jan '21

It could also be going in the old Party City spot. I would think it has to be a store that is a fairly decent size like Party City or Hometown Hardware.

Stacy Stacy
Jan '21

I am sure Jim L knows

Bernie Bernie
Jan '21

I am hopelessly addicted to Harbor Freight. Did you know they will take coupons off your phone? Did you know you can get all their coupons here?

http://www.hfqpdb.com

moderateMike moderateMike
Jan '21

I only buy Annin flags. Best in the country IMO.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '21

From the Daily Voice: 1/21 4:07p.m.
A new hardware store may soon be joining the Hackettstown community.

Harbor Freight Tools — which currently has more than 20 Garden State stores — is eyeing Hackettstown for its newest location.

“We are very interested in joining the Hackettstown community and are actively looking to do so,” Director of Corporate Communications Craig Hoffman told Daily Voice in an email.

The news comes just days after Home Towne Hardware on Main Street announced its upcoming closure after six decades in business.

Though the timing seems ideal, the logistics remain up in the air, as no specific location has been determined.

“Nothing has been finalized,” said Hoffman.

In the meantime, Hackettstowners with a hankering for hardware will have to visit nearby stores like Home Depot on Route 57 and Lowe’s on Mountain Avenue.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Jan '21

I've had good and bad luck. They're good for supplies, consumbable, and hand tools, especially odd ones like large combination wrenches. Mixed results on their power tools. Had a sawzall that wasn't worth a damn. They took it back. But I've also bought a 60lb jackhammer that is fantastic. I've had it for years and it was just as good as a Bosch that I rented.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '21

There are several Youtubers that do a great job of reviewing and/or testing tools, including those from Harbor Freight. "Project Farm" is one of those that seems to present tests in real world applications and conditions and rates them with average buying prices listed, etc.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '21

Phil- yes, I like the project farm series. A little frantic, but still good.

As for Harbor freight- just know where you are at, and what you are buying.

For most people doing small jobs at home- stuff like the sockets/ratchets are going to be fine.

I have the 20 ton shop press- no complaints. 2 of the retractable air reels for almost a decade before the hose on the most used one started cracking at the end.

IMO- the store would be a welcome addition to the area- just be prepared for the smell.

:)

Harbor Freight has some pretty good buys on 'certain' items. I wouldn't mind them moving in town.

Just remember, you get what you pay for. I'll leave it at that.

rickybobby54
Jan '21

Smell?
Do tell

Roywhite Roywhite
Jan '21

The smell of deep discounts!! LOL

I always walk in the door and think to myself- the smell of China.

@josh me too! it gives me a free buzz!! love that store!!

moderateMike moderateMike
Jan '21

I feel the smell is their crummy, low grade rubber products like tires and anything with black rubber as part of the product.
I never thought they would come to H'town. I didn't think their was enough customer volume for their business plan.

Just saw on Facebook there is a sign up now.... Coming soon to the former Party City store in Mansfield.........Harbor Freight...

joyful joyful
Apr '21

YEA!!

Always good to have another tool store.

Re: Harbor Freight Tools Coming to Hackettstown?

We know there where, now the when. Looks like they are scheduled to open, per Harbor Freight Website, June 2021.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Apr '21

This makes it pretty official:

https://wrnjradio.com/harbor-freight-tools-signs-deal-to-open-new-location-in-mansfield-township/

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Apr '21

Anything is better than an empty building, and since Sears Hardware left years ago, and now Hometown Hardware, it will be good to have someplace different than Depot and Lowes.

Apr '21

It's by kohls. I saw it the other day

Donna57 Donna57
Apr '21

“ The new store will be located at 1885 Route 57 and is expected to open this summer.”

I thought it was going to be in Mt Ave next to Lowe’s (the old Marshall’s).

Consigliere
Apr '21

Consigliere

I would imagine that Lowes has a noncompete clause added to their lease stating that no competing business can move in next to them in the same building.

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '21

The old Harbor Freight was better, with its flyers and 20% coupons. It's not the same anymore.

callitlikeIseeit callitlikeIseeit
Apr '21

why no more 20% coupons? They made it a deal. Without, not so much

Jim KIng
Apr '21

From what I have heard, this place sells cheap stuff and not well made.

Sport
Apr '21

Don't listen to what you hear. Plenty of what is there is good and lasts longer than you will.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Apr '21

It has some really good stuff and some stuff not so good. Like the saying goes "You get what you pay for". In this case, lot of the products they sell are a great bargain especially for a DIYer. I have tools even power tools lasting for years.

I am happy this store is coming to town , my wife is not :) I wonder why?

Humayun Humayun
May '21

I love harbor freight!! It’s a terrific alternative to home depot!

Friendly macface Friendly macface
May '21

"I am happy this store is coming to town , my wife is not :) I wonder why?"

So, ask her to change places, you do the dishes and laundry, let her do the home and car repairs. Make the other one pay for any of the work that isn't done.

Just wait till she gets the bill from the plumber.

callitlikeIseeit callitlikeIseeit
May '21

I am happy to do any work needed on the house or cars...and my wife and I have an understanding-

There are times when I fix her car that I need to purchase special tools. But she saves soo much on the parts and labor by not paying a shop that it's a win for both of us. She gets a fixed car- I get to keep the tools for next time.

When is it opening?

Calico696 Calico696
May '21

According to their website, it's opening June 2021

June 15th! 2021!!!

Danielson Danielson
Jun '21

The store will be in the party city location in Mansfield . Now we need a five below store and tractor supply.

Robert J Rowe Robert J Rowe
Jun '21

Robert J, I saw yesterday they are opening a Five Below in ITC in the old Pier 1 store.

Agree on Tractor Supply, I currently go all the way to Flanders for their closest store. It used to be a treat to go to the Blairstown location because I'd reward myself with Damn Good Chicken in the same lot. Miss that place so much.

honestyseasy honestyseasy
Jun '21

Complain about China, then embrace it by shopping at the stores. Typical Boomers.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Jun '21

Is Flanders closer than Washington? (for Tractor Supply). I always go to the Washington location. Nicer drive too.

Jun '21

From the center of Hackettstown, it's 12 miles/20 minutes to Washington and 8 miles/15 minutes to Flanders. Obviously, the further west you are from H'town proper, the closer Washington gets and the further Flanders gets... so it depends (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jun '21

Flanders has budd lake traffic to contend with

Bug3
Jun '21

From Mountain Ave the Flanders location is 8.9 +/- miles away. East Ave to 46 East to Drakestown Rd to River Rd, to Bartley Flanders Rd then Bartley Rd into the strip mall there. Still about 20 mins though.

Only on 46 for a mile or so from East Ave.

My son works there, and his manager asked him to post this picture and to say they will be open tomorrow, June 15th.

Is HF still planning on opening tomorrow? Has anyone heard of any grand opening sales? I wanted to try out their higher end Icon hand tool line. There are a couple wrenches and a ratchet I was waiting to buy.

Consigliere
Jun '21

Consig- Read the post above yours that Rich posted shortly before you. Tomorrow is the day.

Awesome.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.