Italian Bread

Does anyone know where to get good Italian bread that's soft on the inside and crusty outside?

Leigh Leigh
Nov '20

Not anymore. Harpers was a good place to get that type.

Sport
Nov '20

The Colandras Baston bread at Shoprite is close to what you are looking for, I think.
It is displayed right before Deli co;d cuts section.

Giancarlo's in Ledgewood - closest thing to the Italian panelles that I used to get in Newark.

http://giancarlosbakery.com/bakery/

Jules Jules
Nov '20

Wegman’s is good

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '20

Harpers bought that bread making equipment from the gourmet shop that was on Warren St years ago. Does anyone remember the name of that shop?

happiest girl
Nov '20

Village gourmet

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Nov '20

Nykun's Store
331 Us Highway 46
Great Meadows NJ 07838
(908) 637-4228
Gets crisp Italian bread deliveries from eastern NJ regularly

Ronnie Ronnie
Nov '20

I agree with EVV. Calandra's bread is great in my opinion. I have grown up with it. I am in my 50's and I can remember going to the original bakery in Newark at 204 1st Ave, Newark, NJ 07107. I frequent Calandra's Italian Village at 234 Bloomfield Ave, Caldwell, NJ 07006, and the bakery location at 244 US-46, Fairfield, NJ 07004. The Shoprite Calandra's is 90% of the direct from the bakery versions. Love it.

JimInMF JimInMF
Nov '20

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm originally from Union County and we had a great bread bakery in Union on Chestnut Street called Carmen's. They only made bread and rolls, and would have a few pastries during the holidays. Large and small Italian loaves, French twists, panelles, long and small rolls (great for sausage and peppers), round kaiser rolls that were unbelievable with just a little butter and a cup of coffee. Can you tell I miss it??? :)

Leigh Leigh
Dec '20

Happiest girl, that gourmet store on Warren St. was the best. They had the best soups and bread. It was a young couple who owned it and I believe he tragically passed away. That store was amazing. I just can’t recall the name.

Tweety Tweety
Dec '20

Tweety, yes their bread was delicious. They were very nice people. I witnessed the man giving a customer a platter of wraps for 1/2 price -- she needed one and he said someone else ordered one and then cancelled. He could have charged her full price but he didn't. I also witnessed the woman being so nice to a young girl when she asked for a cupcake. Instead of taking one off the display, the woman said to the girl that she should point to the exact one she wanted (they were all the same kind)
I was sorry when they closed. I did not know he passed away.
Someone in an above post said it was called Village Gourmet. That does ring a bell, so I guess it's right.

happiest girl
Dec '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.