Veterans Day 2020

Veterans Day 2020

A big thank you to all veterans for your service to our great nation!

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '20

Wishing a Happy Veteran's Day and Thank you for your Service... to all who served our country and for the many who are no longer with us...R.I.P.

joyful joyful
Nov '20

Thank you to all the veterans, especially my brother who is a Vietnam vet.

Mindy's Mom Mindy's Mom
Nov '20

Re: Veterans Day 2020

I was there the year the wall opened -(in DC for a conference) and found this - very powerful and moving

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '20

Thank you to all who chose a life that includes military service to our country. Our most honored of citizens.

In 1918, on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, the WWI armistice went into effect physically ending hostilities setting up for the war's formal end on the following June. We had ourselves an armistice day of remembrance for the important stuff --- when the killing stopped.

In 1926, Congress made it a formal, yet voluntary, holiday, whatever that means. In 1938, Congress made it a formal holiday but in 1954 amended it given all the other Wars like WWII, Korea, by striking out Armistice and putting in Veterans.

Later that year, Eisenhower put his EO spin on it proclaiming: "In order to insure proper and widespread observance of this anniversary, all veterans, all veterans' organizations, and the entire citizenry will wish to join hands in the common purpose. Toward this end, I am designating the Administrator of Veterans' Affairs as Chairman of a Veterans Day National Committee, which shall include such other persons as the Chairman may select, and which will coordinate at the national level necessary planning for the observance. I am also requesting the heads of all departments and agencies of the Executive branch of the Government to assist the National Committee in every way possible."

In 1968, we tried to move a number of holidays to Mondays to provide observance but also give the nation some 3-day rests to facilitate travel, family time, reflection, and, of course, shopping. The first Monday Veteran's Day in 1971 was met with much confusion. Some guys even wondered where Armistice Day went. In 1975, Ford signed that date back to 11/11, and after only three years, in 1978 --- we made it so.

So, happy Armistice voluntary holiday, happy Veterans Day voluntary, then mandatory Federal Holiday, or happy Uniform Remembrance Date Schedule Monday's Version or back to the original, traditional, WWI's Not-Ended, but It Is Cessation of Hostilities Day.

By George, I think I got it!!!!

Thanks again for your service to our country and it's citizens, past, present, and future.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Nov '20

Stranger-

Oddly- it would be more recognized, if a long weekend.

And just like Memorial day- would have many who are just happy to be off work and bbq- but if 5% of them knew what it was about- it would be MUCH more awareness than there is now.

The only people who understand military service are the people that served in the military.

There is no other 'job' that owns and controls your life. None.

I thank ALL who served in any of the branches of military. Family members include: my husband, my father, three brothers-in-law, and my Sister's wonderful father-in-law who passed not long ago in his 90's. My Family people served in the following: WW 11, Korea or Vietnam. Thanks to ALL who served from the bottom of my HEART.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Nov '20

Thank you Mrs Pipes from the bottom of my heart

Coach Lev Coach Lev
Nov '20

Under appreciated for sure Josh. Sad that our world is not at peace but in this sad reality our warriors are the most noble. It's not CEOs or even Presidents...

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.